The Auzen Prelude 7.1 Thread. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 402 Old 12-11-2007, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What type of speaker system are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 402 Old 12-18-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post

Out of curiosity, are you using the analog outs from the soundcard into the reciever and applying delay in the reciever? If so, you may be losing the benefits of the card's superior DACs/OPAMPs, since your reciever will be doing an additional AD conversion to get the signal into the digital domain to apply delay/other processing, then another additional DA conversion to get it back to analog. It may sound just fine that way, but it would lose the theoretical benefit.

I was just unsure how some modes worked, this is the only thing that I have ever hooked up via the preamp inputs. Totally my mistake. Not sure if the receiver is doing the delay digitally, I dont think it is due to it simply powering down the digital options when accepting input from a preamp.

Anyway, as for losing fidelity in going to something like DDL from the analog, Im sure this will be the case. However, at the same time with all the digital gadgets and conversions engaged, I just simply get more power from my mid-range audio gear. Using the straight up analog through my setup sounds raw and I have to really crank the system to get moderate sound pressure levels.

So I managed to get some beta drivers with Dolby Digital Live (easily found via google now). It did about what I expected, gave me the punch I expected being able to go all digital again (at the expense of some clarity). However, and I REALLY hope this is addressed in the final drivers, currently with the beta DDL drivers, you can not adjust the volume on the PC anymore. Realtek DDL drivers let you do this still, I don't get why it has to be line level constantly. Its a major pain in the ass to have to use the remote to adjust volume compared to a keystroke. Additionally, because its line level, any EQ adjustments will likely cause clipping.

Finally there is some talk of hacking these drivers to work on any X-Fi, thus giving DDL to the much cheaper editions. Regardless of the Prelude's analog superiority, many of us bought this to get the combination X-Fi processing / EAX 5 on our HTPCs with a digital connection. If it turns out I could do this with a run of the mill X-Fi down the road, Ill be pissed.

-DeathCom
post #93 of 402 Old 12-19-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post

No, the Prelude has hot outputs 5 volts. Normal line level is about ~2 Volts...

Any issues, concerns, or precautions that should be observed when connecting such high levels to the multichannel analog in of a modern receiver?

I just got the card and am not interested in damaging my brand new Onkyo or my beloved Martin-Logans.
post #94 of 402 Old 12-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAthos View Post

Any issues, concerns, or precautions that should be observed when connecting such high levels to the multichannel analog in of a modern receiver?

I just got the card and am not interested in damaging my brand new Onkyo or my beloved Martin-Logans.

This is simple. If you start hearing distortion.. turn it down.

The output doesn't send 5v all the time. That is the maximum output. If the Prelude is like the X-Meridian I have then you should probably run the volume about 50%. Don't worry about damaging your compenents. The horrible sound will let you know far before the equipment fails.
post #95 of 402 Old 12-19-2007, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAthos View Post

I have mine connected to my Onkyo Pro 885 and connected to my Revels and do not have any problems. I did not turn down the volume but instead lowered the input volume with Intelli-volume settings. I should try the to lower the volume. You should not have to turn down the volume very much since 3DB is half the power. Isn't that right?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #96 of 402 Old 12-20-2007, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Can anyone confirm whether or not the dts connect feature is working with mp3's? I used to own the xplosion and loved listening to mp3's using dts on my surround sound?

My friend i sold it to says he can get the xplosion to light up the dts signal on his reciever but he still doesn't hear anything out of the rear speakers. Can anyone test this for me please?

I really miss that sound and will probably buy one if it is working.

Forgot to mention vista 64-bit.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #97 of 402 Old 12-21-2007, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

NOPE. The DTS Connect feature will be in a future driver update for the Prelude.
post #98 of 402 Old 12-21-2007, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Question for everybody: If you could have the settings you want for surround sound set-up in a soundcard what would the be?
post #99 of 402 Old 12-21-2007, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
support for 7.1 setup
post #100 of 402 Old 12-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
New Prelude driver released with DDL support.

http://www.auzentech.com/site/download/updates.php

== New features ==

i) Digital Live SW Feature

ii) ALchemy Application

iii) Volume Control Panel

iv) SW Bug Fixes requested by Auzentech.

== Changes / Fixes ==

1) Add in the Dolby Digital Live license notice and trademark acknowledgement
to our Applications (namely Audio Console and Mode Console)

2) Fixed occasional input window problem (would not display
after ACM launch)

3) DDL plugin update

4) Driver bug fix on the BSOD during clock switch.
post #101 of 402 Old 12-21-2007, 11:02 PM

150mb driver download? wow

So... I am looking at getting this card, but I have one question. My receiver does not have HDMI - only optical (Sony V333ES). According to Auzentech's website, this card supports TrueHD.

"Optical / Coaxial COMBO Port
The SPDIF Output port has 25mbps bandwidth and supports DTS-
HD/DolbyTrue HD. It is possible to shift between Optical and Coaxial in this port."

Although the card is a bit pricey, it seems like the best option considering it also has hardware acceleration. I won't buy another Creative card. The Prelude does not have HDMI and is not a PCIe card though, but I think I can live without that.

I have read many posts that optical does not have the bandwidth for TrueHD, and it is only supported through HDMI.

1) Does this just mean the card can decode it and pass a downsampled version of TrueHD through optical, or is it the full quality TrueHD?
2) If so, how did you verify this?
3) Will new receivers that play TrueHD be able to see a TrueHD format coming through optical instead of HDMI?

If this has already been answered, please give me a link if possible. I have searched and didn't find any answers. I plan on upgrading my receiver within a year.

Thanks in advance.
post #102 of 402 Old 12-22-2007, 07:31 AM

@shagnwagn

auzentech is supposed to be coming out with an hdmi add on board 1st quater 2008
post #103 of 402 Old 12-22-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Is anyone using this card in Vista that can tell me if Dolby Digital / DTS passthrough works properly with Dolby Digital Live enabled? The reason I ask is that my current audio (NForce 2 Soundstorm) only allows for Dolby Digital encoding with the drivers off Windows update. It is only seen by windows as "Speakers" and not a digital output that would have the option of passing through bitstream. I have to install the realtek drivers to get it to be seen as a digital output, but then I lose all Dolby Digital encoding, so I'd love a card that worked properly with both.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #104 of 402 Old 12-22-2007, 05:49 PM

Arrrgh... final DDL drivers ship and still don't have volume adjustment? Come on. If the goofs at Realtek can do this, I don't see why its such a problem.

Im guessing that this means the DTS Neo PC options will also be missing volume adjustment (unless someone with an X plosion or Meridian can tell me otherwise) Combine this with the lack of DPLIIx options and the additional uncertainty of DTS Neo PC and its options for center channel use of 2 channel expansion / proper bass redirection and I think I see a restocking fee in my very near future.

[Edit] jhoff80, I did a quick check with Zoom player and a DTS encoded MKV file. I found that when DDL is enabled Zoom cannot passthrough the SPDIF port, but when analog speakers are enabled it seems to have no issues using the port. With the Realtek DDL Zoom player can get the SPDIF port even with DDL enabled. As is, to get digital pass through, you gotta do a lot of setting changes to free the port up on the Prelude. At least thats what I found just toying with it now.

-DeathCom
post #105 of 402 Old 12-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post

Question for everybody: If you could have the settings you want for surround sound set-up in a soundcard what would the be?

Hi Rob,

you probably already know my list:

-Delay/distance settings per speaker
-Level (volume) settings per speaker
-Base Management/x-over settings per speaker type, i.e. front, center, surrounds, rear surrounds
-31 band EQ
-support for Vista's base management/room response capabilities (I don't know if it's are any good, but I would like to find out).

/Anders
post #106 of 402 Old 12-23-2007, 05:00 AM

Hello,

I just posted an issue to the Auzentech site but I thought I might share that with you.
Actually, my expectations are higher from you guys.
So here it is. I got a prelude 7.1 connected to a 7.1 Pre/Pro via S/PDIF output only.
I had to disable the Analog output as it interfered with PowerDVD. If enabled it prevented PDVD from outputing anything else than stereo.
Now, I just installed the new driver that *finally* supports DDL.
Well, if DDL is enabled, my Pre/Pro detects a continuous 5.1 DD input but if I play anything, any kind of source, there is just silence. No sound at all.
So for the moment DDL is disabled and I don't know what to expect from Auzen...
Did this driver with DDL work for anybody?

Thanks
post #107 of 402 Old 12-23-2007, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrips View Post

Hello,

I just posted an issue to the Auzentech site but I thought I might share that with you.
Actually, my expectations are higher from you guys.
So here it is. I got a prelude 7.1 connected to a 7.1 Pre/Pro via S/PDIF output only.
I had to disable the Analog output as it interfered with PowerDVD. If enabled it prevented PDVD from outputing anything else than stereo.
Now, I just installed the new driver that *finally* supports DDL.
Well, if DDL is enabled, my Pre/Pro detects a continuous 5.1 DD input but if I play anything, any kind of source, there is just silence. No sound at all.
So for the moment DDL is disabled and I don't know what to expect from Auzen...
Did this driver with DDL work for anybody?

Thanks

The DDL driver is working for me. I use it in conjunction with ffdshow and zoom player. What media player are your using? If the media player is not set for the correct sound device, your receiver will detect the DDL signal but won't output anything. Usually, setting your media player to "Default DirectSound Device" will allow sound output.
Hope this helps!
post #108 of 402 Old 12-23-2007, 07:40 AM

Well, it does help to know that it works at least for you.
I would a few more details if you don't mind.
Are you using the S/PDIF output too?
Is it set to default output device?
Is your Analog output enabled or disabled? And if enabled how does powerdvd (if you use that one) behave with blu-rays and hddvds? Mine outputs stereo only if analog enabled.
Is your OS Vista too?
And finally, what are your ffdshow settings? maybe a screenshot or 2?

Thanks
post #109 of 402 Old 12-23-2007, 12:28 PM

The DDL Drivers works fine for me also. I had to adjust the settings in the prelude audio consloe(cmss-3d) to get surround sound. It was set as stero only on the slider bar. Hope this helps some people out
post #110 of 402 Old 12-23-2007, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, it does help to know that it works at least for you.
I would a few more details if you don't mind.
Are you using the S/PDIF output too?
Is it set to default output device?
Is your Analog output enabled or disabled? And if enabled how does powerdvd (if you use that one) behave with blu-rays and hddvds? Mine outputs stereo only if analog enabled.
Is your OS Vista too?
And finally, what are your ffdshow settings? maybe a screenshot or 2?

Thanks

I am using S/PDIF output.

My zoom player settings sound device is set to Default DirectSound Device

In ffdshow, I have the sound mixer set for 3/0/2 -5 channels, no ac3 encoding.

I am using Windows XP pro, 32bit.

I have learned that the DDL is a little finicky. I've had to enable it, disable then enable it again to get the rear channels to work. Also, if you set the speaker configuration for 7.1, DDL will only output font right, left and center. No rear / side speakers. Full 5.1 will work with when it is set that way.

I do not use my pc for blu-ray or HD-DVD playback, I use stand alone players for them.
post #111 of 402 Old 12-23-2007, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On of the things to remeber with Vista and this DDL driver is to make sure the Vista control panel is set for SPEAKER output -Not Digital. The card will take care of the rest when set for Dolby Digital Live.
post #112 of 402 Old 12-23-2007, 02:06 PM

I use blu-ray and hd-dvd on my HTPC with PowerDVD. If i enable DDL will that mean the card does the work and not powerDVD? Which should improve quality?
If this is true does that mean Dolby Digital Plus and TrueHD work?

Thanks
post #113 of 402 Old 12-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I heard that a hdmi add in card was going to become available for this card.

Does anyone have any links/news confirming this?

Apparently the card will deliver lossless 7.1 by linking to the back of a videocard.

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
Goldeneye
post #114 of 402 Old 12-23-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post

@shagnwagn

auzentech is supposed to be coming out with an hdmi add on board 1st quater 2008

Thanks for clarifying this. I thought it was going to be a whole new card, including a PCIe version. I suppose getting the Prelude now won't be too bad if the HDMI add-in doesn't cost too much. For the price they want for only the card, I figured they would offer it cheap. I can dream can't I?
post #115 of 402 Old 12-24-2007, 03:28 AM

Guys, I don't know what you are talking about.
DDL doesn't work for me. The only sign it's alive is that when I enable it my Pre/Pro locks itself into a continuous DD input of 5 (or more?) channels.
And no sound can be played.
To say the truth, I don't expect much from Auzentech support, by experience.
What is so special in my setup?
I run Vista. I use ffdshow and ac3filter like many of us here. I play my files with Kmplayer or Gom, or PDVD when it comes to blu-rays or hddvd.
Anyway, what do I need this DDL for? Can somebody enlight me here?
The only files I play that don't have multichannel sound are the french divx crap I download for my wife. So do I really need that?

Thanks
post #116 of 402 Old 12-26-2007, 03:09 AM

xtrips, you only need Dolby Digital Live if either A: your receiver setup doesn't have a pre-amp input (or multi channel input). B: Your receiver locks you into a pure analog mode when using the multi channel input and you cant access your sound field options or additional EQ settings.

When it comes to playing movies or multi channel encoded formats. The analog output is the best possible option for many reasons, but firstly because decoded/recoded the least number of times. So if you already have things hooked up that way, you dont need to worry about the DDL options.

-DeathCom
post #117 of 402 Old 12-26-2007, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCom View Post

xtrips, you only need Dolby Digital Live if either A: your receiver setup doesn't have a pre-amp input (or multi channel input). B: Your receiver locks you into a pure analog mode when using the multi channel input and you cant access your sound field options or additional EQ settings.

When it comes to playing movies or multi channel encoded formats. The analog output is the best possible option for many reasons, but firstly because decoded/recoded the least number of times. So if you already have things hooked up that way, you dont need to worry about the DDL options.

-DeathCom

That's what I call a clear answer. Thank you.
So I got my answer for multichannel encoded media. For these ones I'll just stick with the DDL turned off and my output through S/PDIF to my Pre/Pro. It'll do the rest. (BTW why did you write that the analog output is the best possible option? Isn't it better to stay in the digital world, S/PDIF out > S/PDIF in ?)
Now do I have anything to gain from this DDL for old DIVX movies that only have a stereo track? Today I just pass the stereo track through my DPLIIx encoder in my Pre/Pro and I get a very convincing 7.1 surround sound. Will it be better with DDL?

Thanks
post #118 of 402 Old 12-26-2007, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Is anyone using this card in Vista that can tell me if Dolby Digital / DTS passthrough works properly with Dolby Digital Live enabled? The reason I ask is that my current audio (NForce 2 Soundstorm) only allows for Dolby Digital encoding with the drivers off Windows update. It is only seen by windows as "Speakers" and not a digital output that would have the option of passing through bitstream. I have to install the realtek drivers to get it to be seen as a digital output, but then I lose all Dolby Digital encoding, so I'd love a card that worked properly with both.

I had the same issue. Here's how I solved it:

Don't use the driver from windows update for Realtek or the NForceII board. If you uninstall the Realtek drivers and download and install only the latest NForce drivers for chipset and audio FROM THE NVIDIA WEBSITE you will have passthru and DD encoding.

Sean

Edit: My experience was with XP....sorry.
post #119 of 402 Old 12-26-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:

... Isn't it better to stay in the digital world, S/PDIF out > S/PDIF in ?)
Now do I have anything to gain from this DDL for old DIVX movies that only have a stereo track? Today I just pass the stereo track through my DPLIIx encoder in my Pre/Pro and I get a very convincing 7.1 surround sound. Will it be better with DDL?

Thanks

Ideally, yes its best to stay digital. The problem arises when dealing with DDL or to a lesser extent, DTS interactive.

Example. You have a DVD in Dolby Digital (or in DTS). When you have Dolby Digital Live enabled what happens is the multichannel signal is decoded in software, then recoded by the prelude and sent to your receiver to be decoded AGAIN then sent to the speakers. This extra step of recoding degrades the quality, for DTS sources, it really degrades the quality. Now later, the card will apparently have a HDMI pass through to enable 7.1 digital PCM to be sent to your gear thus eliminating the second encoding step and preserving a digital signal. This is overall the best choice, but requires a yet to be released adapter.

To answer your second question, its one of the points Ive been complaining about for a while now here. The short answer is no. DDL will do NOTHING to help with any 2 channel sources you already have. This is because the geniuses at Auzentech think that CMSS-3D is the ultimate sound experience apparently and DPLIIx isnt needed because of it. IMO, for now you will get far better 3D sound from 2 channel sources using your receiver's DPLIIx decoder. However, I havent tried with the latest drivers, but before, again Auzentech/Creative geniuses at work here, the SPDIF port is a raw feed and is not allowed processing from CMSS-3D, Crystalizer, EQ, or EAX. At least you can adjust the volume, which is more than you can do with DDL.

-DeathCom <- currently running integrated sound again due to new RC4 drivers, Teamspeak, and my mic not getting along. Deciding if its worth it to take a $40 hit to return the card entirely.
post #120 of 402 Old 12-26-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCom View Post

Ideally, yes its best to stay digital. The problem arises when dealing with DDL or to a lesser extent, DTS interactive.

Example. You have a DVD in Dolby Digital (or in DTS). When you have Dolby Digital Live enabled what happens is the multichannel signal is decoded in software, then recoded by the prelude and sent to your receiver to be decoded AGAIN then sent to the speakers. This extra step of recoding degrades the quality, for DTS sources, it really degrades the quality. Now later, the card will apparently have a HDMI pass through to enable 7.1 digital PCM to be sent to your gear thus eliminating the second encoding step and preserving a digital signal. This is overall the best choice, but requires a yet to be released adapter.

To answer your second question, its one of the points Ive been complaining about for a while now here. The short answer is no. DDL will do NOTHING to help with any 2 channel sources you already have. This is because the geniuses at Auzentech think that CMSS-3D is the ultimate sound experience apparently and DPLIIx isnt needed because of it. IMO, for now you will get far better 3D sound from 2 channel sources using your receiver's DPLIIx decoder. However, I havent tried with the latest drivers, but before, again Auzentech/Creative geniuses at work here, the SPDIF port is a raw feed and is not allowed processing from CMSS-3D, Crystalizer, EQ, or EAX. At least you can adjust the volume, which is more than you can do with DDL.

-DeathCom <- currently running integrated sound again due to new RC4 drivers, Teamspeak, and my mic not getting along. Deciding if its worth it to take a $40 hit to return the card entirely.

Hey, Prof. DeathCom, you're really the best.
Ok then, I did the math and I came up with the following:
- In my configuration/setup I don't need all these artefacts (DDL, DTS Int., DTS Neo, etc....)
- Investing in a Prelude 7.1 now and the future HDMI add-on is the right choice if I seek quality.
- If Arcsoft comes up with a real solution to decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD "Lossless" AND if Auzentech gives a true HDMI 1.3a output that works with Arcsoft then I'll have the best possible sound for Blu-rays and HD-DVDs. I'll just have to change my Pre/Pro to one that is HDMI 1.3a compatible.
- I thought I might make use of the EAX or DTS neo features for games but since I don't want to use the analog out, I'll give up for that.

Am I right?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page