video compression? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-27-2007, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently using DVDShrink to rip my DVDs to my laptop. I tried the search function on the forum, but did not find the answer to my question.

I am ripping just the movie. Depending on the movie, I am still finding 4-5 GB per movie with no compression. Since I will only be watching these movies on the laptop, I am wondering what the "most preferred" level of compression to still allow decent video quality while saving valuable storage space. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-27-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Are you sure you have no compression normally DVD's with their MPEG2 standard compression require about 2GB per program hour which is about what you say you are getting.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Unless DVDShrink has compression that I am unaware of...I should have no compression. Keep in mind that I am only ripping the movie, an audio file, and 1 subtitle file. I am getting rid of all the menus and extras. For example, I ripped Anchorman as a test and my total file size was just over 4 GB. I believe the video itself with no compression was just under the 4 GB. I would like to cut this down more if I could, but I was hoping someone may know a "preferred" level of compression so I would not have to rip DVDs over and over at various compression.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 PM

The only "preferred" level of compression is what works best for you.

I personally hate the look that compressed domain transcoders like DVD Shrink create, so I prefer no extra compression, I just rip 1:1 (or do a proper x264 or MPEG-2 backup with MeGUI or HC).

You may be able to stand higher compression from a transcoder like DVD Shrink. It all depends on what your eyes tell you

~MiSfit
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page