Evr Is Default Renderer Anymore! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2008, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fraid not - it's always the program that decides what renderer is used.

By the way, it doesn't really make sense to say the program "supports acceleration", it's the decoder that has to. Of course, if you use a renderer incompatible with acceleration it won't work....

Try DVBviewer, I use that all the time with EVR+h264 acceleration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 10:15 AM

well, I use the PowerDVD 8 h.264 codec, and it does NOT use HA. Since it works in other programs, I guess it's a programming issue. As I said, there was not option to chose EVR in the menus.

Does DVBviewer support Skywalker1?

Thanks

Edit:
I guess not
http://www.dvbviewer.com/en/index.ph...evices#devices
so I need to get EVR working under DVBdream
Old 05-13-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrh View Post

well, I use the PowerDVD 8 h.264 codec, and it does NOT use HA.

It does in XP, but in Vista you must have EVR for h264 acceleration (vc1 and mpeg2 can work with VMR9 in Vista though). There's nothing else in the app blocking acceleration though.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

It does in XP, but in Vista you must have EVR for h264 acceleration (vc1 and mpeg2 can work with VMR9 in Vista though). There's nothing else in the app blocking acceleration though.

I agree with you. In fact that was my point. The application does not give me the option to chose EVR - only VR and VR9.

So here is my idea. Suppose VR has and an id of {666...666} and EVR {FFFF...FF}.

Can I simply go in the registry and change {666...666} to {FFFF...FF} and vice-versa?

Thus, when I chose to use VR in the DVBDream menu, it will actually use EVR

Will it work?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:13 PM

Hi Ricabulla,
I've tried your registry tweaks, followed it by the letter.
Regedit keeps saying that there was an error writing the value when changing the binary code for video renderer (changing 20...01..80 to 20...00..20)
Using vista ultimate, any ideas as to why your guide isn't working here ?
Old 12-30-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routernl View Post

Hi Ricabulla,
I've tried your registry tweaks, followed it by the letter.
Regedit keeps saying that there was an error writing the value when changing the binary code for video renderer (changing 20...01..80 to 20...00..20)
Using vista ultimate, any ideas as to why your guide isn't working here ?

I did this last night in order to get the MPC Decoder to use HA. Do youself a favour and use Radlight Filter Manager to set the merit values instead of doing it via the registry. You'll still need to set the permissions for each key, but Radlight will set the values for you.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanInc View Post

I did this last night in order to get the MPC Decoder to use HA. Do youself a favour and use Radlight Filter Manager to set the merit values instead of doing it via the registry. You'll still need to set the permissions for each key, but Radlight will set the values for you.

Would love to, but for the video renderer as well as for the EVR, filter manager isn't able to. I'm probably to much of a registry noob, but I thought that was what the first few registry changes should do. I followed them by the letter (no problems encountered) but the effect is none, both in regedit as well as Radlight Vista appearently won't let the values to be changed.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17

I realize this is an old post; but, it's still the only instructions I could find on the Internet that shows how to make EVR the default system renderer instead of the legacy renderer.

Why is it necessary to change the CLSID registry keys' Owner setting to "Administrator"?  The default owner for Win7 64bit Ultimate Edition is SYSTEM.  The administrators group already has "Full Control"; which my user ID already belongs to.

Is this security setting change necessary so that the system doesn't try to change the merit back or is it only for people who dont have administrator privileges for their user ID?

Also, what does it mean by "boot" below?  Maybe, it means for the user to "Reboot"?  Doesn't seem necessary to reboot after every step.

I'm guessing that if people want to do this for 64bit graphedit/graphstudio, they would need to modify the merits for the respective WOW64 CLSID registry settings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

"With recorded media, MS allows you to use the default third party filters that you tweaked just with one exception: EVR. Since its own filter, you can not change its merit value which is set to 00200000 while classical Video Renderer' 00800001. And both WMP and MCE will use the default Graph in their background; believe me. (but of course you can make your custom Graphs)
On the other hand when you put a DVD, MS will use its default filters including his EVR on those both application."

"Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeThief
So are you saying that you'll never be able to use EVR in MCE unless I play a DVD (where I don't need the HA anyhow!!? "

Untill finding a way to tweak EVR as default renderer, you won't be able.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=896920

Yes; thanks to codechief to boost me to figure out that issue.
Lets start:

Some tweaks first;

regedit:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrenentVe rsion\\Explorer\\Advanced
"SuperHidden"= (set to) 1 (you made all hidden files appear)

boot
_ _ _ _ _ _

From the Start Menu find the "Command Prompt" and right click on it. From the popup
menu select "Run as Administrator". A Command window will start.
Wriite "regedit"
Regedit popup window will open.
Go to the key
HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/WinLogon.
Now add (from the Edit menu) a new key.
Name this new key "SpecialAccounts".

In HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/WinLogon/SpecialAccounts
create a key named "UserList".

In HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/WinLogon/SpecialAccounts/UserList
create a new DWORD entry ;
Name this entry "Administrator" and
set the value to "1"

exit and boot
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Open Radlight filter manager(right click on exe and"open as admin" click "direct show filters" and choose Cyberlink filters "preferred+1

boot again
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ -

Last step:

Making EVR default renderer;

First you gonna decrease the prioraty of the classical Video Renderer.
Open Radlight Filter Manager as admin and under Direct Show Filters find out Video Renderer; click on it and click "copy CLSID";
open regedit and navigate copied CLSID under PC after finding it just right click on this CLSID (it is on the left side)
go to "advanced", go to "owner", go to "administrator"and click "apply"and mark the "full control" box and "OK"

Move to the "FilterData" on the right side and click on it and change the first line(0000 line)
with this:

02 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 and "enter"

boot

Second you gonna make EVR default Renderer:
open Radlight Filter Manager as admin and under Direct Show Filters find out Enhanced Video Renderer; click on it and click "copy CLSID";
open regedit and navigate copied CLSID under PC after finding it just right click on this CLSID (it is on the left side)
go to "advanced", go to "owner", go to "administrator"and click "apply"and mark the "full control" box and "OK"
Second move to the "FilterData" on the right side and click on it and change the first line (0000 line)
with this:

02 00 00 00 01 00 00 80 00 and "enter"

boot.

Merit values has been changed by force; anyway enjoy with your new default EVR renderer.

GraphEdit, WMP and MCE will play even "recorded fies" on HA mode with new "default" EVR Renderer anymore.

Best!

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22

Hey MKANET, I hate to ask this...is this still relevant in Windows 7 / 7MC ?

I tested last night and EVR is the default renderer, according to GraphStudio and FFDSHOW.

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17

Yes it's definitely relevant for a clean Windows install; at least for my Windows 7 64bit Ultimate and Windows Vista32.

On Win7 64bit, both 32 bit and 64 bit EVR has a low merit level: 00200000, 32bit/64bit "Video Renderer"'s merit level is 00800001.  I've never seen it any other way after a fresh Win7/.WinVista OS install.

This is actually how Windows Vista/Windows 7 were designed when doing a IGraphBuilder::Render or RenderFile functions (effectively same thing as dragging a video media file such as a mpeg2/H.264 into graphstudio/graphedit (32bit or 64bit versions)).

"The IGraphBuilder::Render and RenderFile methods use the VMR-7 by default. If the hardware does not support the VMR-7, these methods fall back to the legacy Video Renderer filter. The EVR and VMR-9 are never the default renderers."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd374574%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

So, making them as the default renderer isn't even an option that's builtin to Windows.  There may be applications which have builtin settings which can manipulate the filtergraph building process.

I just nenewed this forum thread since it was the only way I could get EVR to automatically be used as my video renderer in graphedit/graphstudio.  I was just not sure if the permission changes are even necessary.

If EVR is the default renderer on a fresh install of Windows Vista/7 for someone, I'd be very curious to know what circumstances can trigger that.

MKANET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzy G.L.X. View Post

Hey MKANET, I hate to ask this...is this still relevant in Windows 7 / 7MC ?

I tested last night and EVR is the default renderer, according to GraphStudio and FFDSHOW.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

Yes it's definitely relevant for a clean Windows install

MKANET is correct.

having users manually edit their registry is always a scarey prospect.
I added a checkbox (in the next release) to enable EVR using a single click.
Use of the [x] SUGGESTED settings will also enabled EVR as the default renderer.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 AM

So, making them as the default renderer isn't even an option that's builtin to Windows. There may be applications which have builtin settings which can manipulate the filtergraph building process.

Ahh, okay, I see what you're saying here...maybe my combination of codecs and stuff give EVR the higher merit level.

Wasn't trying to 2nd guess you or anything...

Old 10-02-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

MKANET is correct.
having users manually edit their registry is always a scarey prospect.
I added a checkbox (in the next release) to enable EVR using a single click.
Use of the [x] SUGGESTED settings will also enabled EVR as the default renderer.

Shark, as always, you rock. That is a really cool feature to incorporate.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks MKANET for renewing this thread.
However, I am not updated really.
I am not sure as well, if the permission changes are still necessary.

Chronical Tester