Anyone with the HD HQV disc, a GeForce 8-series, and WinXP willing to test? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-10-2007, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

I have been doing some testing with the new HD HQV disc, the HD DVD version, but it doesn't matter which format (Blu-ray or HD DVD) they have the same tests.

I have PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra with the latest patch applied, and a GeForce 8600GT running Windows XP MCE 2005. I tested with ForceWare 163.44 and the newly released 163.67 beta drivers with the same results.

The noise reduction slider in the NVIDIA control panel seems to be doing nothing, though the image sure seems to have a default level of filtering because when I hit the skip chapter button the video freezes for a second while it seeks to the next chapter and the noise in the clip becomes quite apparent, when actually playing the clip the noise is nicely suppresed. Also in comparison to the standard HQV discs examples (SD material can be effected by the slider) the noise on the HD samples looks to be filterd at around 60%.

Video Resolution loss fails miserably with hardware deinterlacing enabled (the moving bar looks great though), but comes closer to passing with it disabled the squares don't strobe black and white, but the moving bar doesn't deinterlace properly. This is highly unusual, the hardware mode should be doing motion adaptive deinterlacing, the 8600GT is capable of it.

Jaggies pattern A and B are both a total failure without hardware deinterlacing being enabled, which is expected.

Film Resolution loss pattern fails with hardware deinterlacing enabled because of dropping half the resolution (the squares alternate white and black). Without hardware enabled it fails for the strobing of the vertical bands because it is trying to do motion adaptive video processing on film sourced material.

Film Resolution loss test clip works fine with hardware enabled, moire is seen in the stands when hardware is disabled, which is expected.

Other notes:

Using some of the test images dr1394 put up to test 1080i deinterlacing and inverse telecine also seem to corroborate the findings of the two resolution loss tests on the HD HQV disc. Using the NVIDIA PureVideo decoder in Zoom Player (instead of using PowerDVD Ultra) on the MPEG2 clips also fails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-11-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 523
I'd be willing to test but I sent my 8600GT back because it didn't have HDCP (despite original claims to the contrary). Where did you get the HD HQV disc from?
post #3 of 9 Old 09-11-2007, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Silicon Optix was giving them out if you visited a bunch of other booths for companies using their products at CEDIA...

Cheers,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-12-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post

Silicon Optix was giving them out if you visited a bunch of other booths for companies using their products at CEDIA...

Oh... I guess there are benefits to going to CEDIA. I downloaded and burned the standard DVD one, but I can't do that for the HD-DVD one.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-13-2007, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually anyone can buy the test discs for $30 from SiliconOptix these days
http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm
post #6 of 9 Old 09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post

Actually anyone can buy the test discs for $30 from SiliconOptix these days
http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm

It's not worth $30 to me. $5, maybe, but $30 absolutely not. IMHO it's not a very useful tool for a end user like DVE or AVIA are.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-13-2007, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

perhaps, it is certainly useful for benchmarking (why I have it), it is also useful to test if a perspective HDTV can properly deinterlace 1080i and 1080i 3:2 content.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-13-2007, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post

perhaps, it is certainly useful for benchmarking (why I have it), it is also useful to test if a perspective HDTV can properly deinterlace 1080i and 1080i 3:2 content.

Yeah, but someone else can do the test and report the results. You don't need your own copy. Calibration discs doesn't work like that. Someone else's setting are basically worthless.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-13-2007, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Yeah, but someone else can do the test and report the results. You don't need your own copy. Calibration discs doesn't work like that. Someone else's setting are basically worthless.

Yep, I'm doing tests :P I'm among other things a reviewer. I was just hoping soneone else on AVS (since AVS is quite a technical forum) would have the disc and be able to confirm things with me.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page