building pc to hook directly into tv - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-11-2007, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to know what i need to play avi, MKV, .x264 1080i & p files
I want to hook up the pc directly to the tv and also I need help with a remote control. I would like to do this as cheap as possible but not have it lock up on me or stutter on the video playback. I will also plug the pc into my 5.1 surround sound onkyo system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesup_22 View Post

I need to know what i need to play avi, MKV, .x264 1080i & p files
I want to hook up the pc directly to the tv and also I need help with a remote control. I would like to do this as cheap as possible but not have it lock up on me or stutter on the video playback. I will also plug the pc into my 5.1 surround sound onkyo system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Search and read and you will learn lots.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-11-2007, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Start with the stickys at the top of this forum, in particular the one dealing with dual core processors and motherboards. You'll find everything you'll need with regards to hardware for your HTPC. I just ran across a thread here that discusses HD-DVD and Blu-Ray playback that would cover your specific needs. There's a link to a setup tutorial at TheMissingRemote forums that identifies the minimum hardware requirements for the type of file playback you want. Basically, you'll need a dual core CPU (Athlon X2 3800+ or better), at least a GB of RAM, and a high-end 7 series Nvidia graphics card or one of the newer 8 series. The 8600 cards are probably your best bet as far as bang for the buck. You can also use an ATI card but most folks seem to prefer the Nvidia cards for HD playback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page