output sound from PC to Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-20-2007, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm building a HTPC and i'm not very familiar in this department. My plan is to output sound from my HTPC to my Harman Kardon AVR 340. My purpose is to play music (CD, MP3) from the computer and output to the receiver and to my speakers (i only have a 5.1 set right now). I don't plan on playing DVD movies.

I was planning on getting this card:

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE SB0570LPVP 5.1 Channels

Mainly because it costs $26 at newegg.

or

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 for $49 (after mail-in-rebate)

I've been doing some researching and from what i gather, I think i'm suppose to get a COAX to 3.5mm plugg convertor and plug that into one of the line outs of the card. Then i can take a COAX cable and connect it from my receiver to the convertor plug.

is this correct or there's more to it than that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-20-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I recently upgraded my HTPC for music playback, and it sounds AMAZING now:

Before:
P5B-E mobo with AC7 optical out using SPDIF to my Yamaha 6.1 receiver, playing in Stereo mode (2.1 channel)

After:
Auzentech X-Plosion soundcard with upgraded OPAMPS (LM4572, I think) using 3.5mm to dual RCA jacks connected to my Yamaha 6.1 receiver in 6 channel mode playing 2 channel music.
I also re-ripped all of my favourite music I previously had in MP3 format from CD to FLAC.

It sounds 500% better now. The soundstage is HUGE.

The X-Plosion also encodes PCM audio to Dolby Digital Live or DTS! And it does it on the fly!
post #3 of 9 Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

So you connected RCA coax from your receiver to the RCA output of one of two RCA->3.5 connector? I tried this just on my onboard motherboard sound card (i think it's a realteak 685 - part of the nforce motherboard) on usual green line out plug but my receiver doesn't pick up any sound . Is that because my soundcard is not sufficient for the task?
post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2007, 11:17 AM

I went with a chaintech card from newegg and use the optical spdif cable. Install AC3filter and it will pass through straight to the receiver. This was the only way my receiver would pick up the DTS and DD in mkv files.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-20-2007, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

I did some googling on AC3Filter, is that for movies only? As in you want surround sound from movies.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi.../ac3filter.cfm

But what If i wanted to just play music files (mp3, CD) etc, I shouldn't need that right?

So it seems that i need a sound card that can output digital either through COAX/Optical S/PDIF? I see many sounds like the 2 i posted in my first post that have
just line outs at the back of the card itself. Like for ex:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102006

I guess lets say the orange plug at the back, if i plug in a 3.55 to RCA connector, then connect a COAX S/PDIF cord to the COAX connection on my receiver and that should work?

or do i need to get a S/PDIF external connector that has COAX/optical S/PDIF connectors and tie that in to the internal S/PDIF IO connector on the sound card, then run COAX/OPTICAL from sound card to receiver?

I guess cause i already have connector (3.5mm to RCA) and coax (S/PDIF) cable, i'm trying to avoid having to buy unnecessary pieces.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 AM

Just grab a Chaintech AV-710 soundcard. It comes with an optical toslink cable so that you can run optical SPDIF to your receiver.

Install AC3Filter and let it decode all your audio. Digital audio can be directly set to passthrough (PCM, DTS, AC3) and MP3 can be transcoded to stereo or however many channels you specify in AC3Filter.

No extra cables to buy, cheap soundcard that works well, and easy setup.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguecoolman View Post

Hello,

I'm building a HTPC and i'm not very familiar in this department. My plan is to output sound from my HTPC to my Harman Kardon AVR 340. My purpose is to play music (CD, MP3) from the computer and output to the receiver and to my speakers (i only have a 5.1 set right now). I don't plan on playing DVD movies.

I've been doing some researching and from what i gather, I think i'm suppose to get a COAX to 3.5mm plugg convertor and plug that into one of the line outs of the card. Then i can take a COAX cable and connect it from my receiver to the convertor plug.

is this correct or there's more to it than that?

I think you have it correct, if what you mean by coax is really RCA.

You want a 3.5mm stereo to dual RCA adapter or cable. Run from the front speakers output (usually this is color coded green) on your soundcard to the analog ins on your receiver.

Be sure the 3.5mm plug is stereo, otherwise you will only get one side of the stereo signal. I made this mistake once randomly pulling an adapter out of my drawer and spent an embarrassingly long time trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with my system...

If your soundcard and receiver support digital (spdif) you could connect that way too. In most cases, either way will sound OK. Most folks seem to like digital since it cuts down on the number of cables needed and typically sounds better when using cheaper soundcards.

In either case, I'd recommend getting a relatively recent soundcard as the drivers are more likely to be kept up to date.

Good luck,
Gerald

Please pray for peace.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-20-2007, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations on the sound card

cgmoore, I think i know where i went wrong. I have a 3.5mm stereo to RCA mono jack.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

then i have a RCA COAX digital cable. So what i originally did was connect on the green line out the 3.5mm to RCA, connect my RCA coax to it, then to COAX digital input of my receiver. Unfortunately, i can't do that and it was suppose to just go RCA to the L + R analog of my receiver. So the only way to go digital is to get the sound cards above. So i guess i fouled up by thinking i could connect it my way, i was just putting analog into digital input and thats why i couldn't get a ny sound. I think thats the summary to my mistake.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, it definitely won't work like that (analog out to digital in). But...

I missed which soundcard you were using right now. Some do output a digital signal via one of the 3.5mm jacks, and you have to tell the card what to output (digital or analog) via the soundcards control-panel software.

Please pray for peace.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page