post #31 of 42 Old 10-04-2007, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

LOL... great thread!

But the real crime is having to pay again for a higher resolution version of a movie you already bought 1-5 yrs ago. All the while fearing the reality that you will probably have to pay again for the same movie in another 5yrs (or perhaps sooner?) for yet a HIGHER resolution.

Work that out and then talk to me about MKV ripping.

Actually the content companies have been arguing for years that we are purchasing a license for the product and that the disc is just a medium. If that's the case, why can't I get replacements for all of the vinyl that I have that I'd like to replace on CD for a NOMINAL cost? I have to buy the product all over again.

I have bought how many copies of the Star Wars Trilogy now?

The Bit Wrangler

Website Development and PC Support

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 10-04-2007, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

This whole DRM thing has aboslutely nothing to do with piracy. DO you really think someone is going to download a 27GB full length pirated HD DVD from a bit torrent site?? Do you realize how long that would take?

Maybe in the US that isn't too common, but in most of Europe adsl2+ (10-20mbit typically) is common, and vdsl2 is spreading (50mbit). Sweden has had fibre 100mbit for many years, it's rolling out in France now, and in many Asian countries it's common. Even very large files aren't an issue.
post #33 of 42 Old 10-04-2007, 08:30 AM

DRM is going to disapper within 10-15 years I would geuss, maybe even sooner. Companies are starting to realize there is nothing they can do about internet piracy. DRM does nothing but cost companies money to use and enforce, and as soon as younger more tech-savy men work their way up the corperate ladder in the coming years, we will see the long needed death of drm. Most people have to remember that the men in charge of the companies that implement differnt DRM strategies are old people who don't understand technology in the least, so it's simple to sell them on some new "fool proof" content protection.

I see the future of the movie industry going through a paradigm shift in the next 20 years. Theaters are going to be a thing of the past, movie releases will be straight to your house in a variety of methods. If theaters stay around I think they will return to the 1920s and 30s era style, very formal affairs in elegant single screen cinemas.

But to talk about piracy a little more plainly I will admit that I download movies to watch and don't feel in the least bit bad about it. I still buy movies that I really like or want to throw my support behind. The main reason I download movies is if it's only available on a format I don't own (blu-ray I'm lookin at you) or if it's something I only have a passing interest in seeing. As much as the studios would love make everyone feel like they are stealing when they download a movie I just don't buy into that. If I was never going to buy the movie in the first place, and if I download it from a P2P network at no cost to the studio, how is the studio losing any money?

The other reason I have no problem downloading movies is because the movie industry has screwed the consumer over one too many times. I have to use some 3rd party software on top of the playback software on my pc just in order to watch the movies I bought legally in HD DVD on my projector. My (at the time of purchase) $600 video card doesn't support HDCP so that means I can't use my DVI cable to my projector without running a copy of AnyDVD HD. They force me to buy some $80 piece of software just so I can watch the $25-$35 movie I already purchased.
post #34 of 42 Old 10-04-2007, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco View Post

Actually the content companies have been arguing for years that we are purchasing a license for the product and that the disc is just a medium. If that's the case, why can't I get replacements for all of the vinyl that I have that I'd like to replace on CD for a NOMINAL cost? I have to buy the product all over again.

Agree- can't have it both ways. However, they can say that you have a licence to the Star Wars Trilogy at the resolution and/or format you purchased on VHS/laser disc/DVD. If that's what they're doing, it's BS.
post #35 of 42 Old 10-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow...I am really surprised by how smart people can't see the plain obvious. DRM is here to stay for ever. It has nothing to do with piracy. It's very simple. You love the movie Shrek, you buy the Shrek DVD. You want to play said movie in your brand new Ipod/portable device, you need to buy the Ipod version, you want to play movie in High Def, you need to buy High Def version, You want to play in laptop while on the road you need to buy two DVDs, New player comes out you buy new shrek on new format media. You mess with disc enough times it will break/scratch you re-buy dvd. Do your really think that content owner will ever let you buy one copy and then have the freedom to play it on any device you own??? You are dreaming...
post #36 of 42 Old 10-04-2007, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post

Wow...I am really surprised by how smart people can't see the plain obvious. DRM is here to stay for ever. It has nothing to do with piracy. It's very simple. You love the movie Shrek, you buy the Shrek DVD. You want to play said movie in your brand new Ipod/portable device, you need to buy the Ipod version, you want to play movie in High Def, you need to buy High Def version, You want to play in laptop while on the road you need to buy two DVDs, New player comes out you buy new shrek on new format media. You mess with disc enough times it will break/scratch you re-buy dvd. Do your really think that content owner will ever let you buy one copy and then have the freedom to play it on any device you own??? You are dreaming...

I agree with you and what you are saying is a pretty realistic strategy from content owners, but I hear frustration in your words as if you do not like the status quo.
post #37 of 42 Old 10-04-2007, 03:17 PM

I used to use the "MKV" container when I was bringing all my DVDs to the HTPC. It's really the only container that would allow me to keep AC3 audio, subtitles and h264 video. I have since gone to the "MP4" container and AAC audio since I figured out how to get it tomy receiver correctly.

That is a "fair" reason to have MKV, it's not just for pirating. I purchased the movies, I converted them and I don't share them with other people. What if I want to burn one of my "MKV" movies to a DVD to take with me on my vacation without digging out the original that I have in storage? This would be one of the places I would ask how to do it.
post #38 of 42 Old 10-04-2007, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

LOL... great thread!

But the real crime is having to pay again for a higher resolution version of a movie you already bought 1-5 yrs ago. All the while fearing the reality that you will probably have to pay again for the same movie in another 5yrs (or perhaps sooner?) for yet a HIGHER resolution.

It all depends on what they're selling. For years what they've been selling is a product. I purchase the CD, I can do what I want to with it (within Copyright), there are no restrictions. Given this, I don't find it unreasonable to for them to sell better versions down the road, given that I bought a physical product.

However, the industry would like us to believe that they are selling a license to use that product, and that is really what they are doing with DRM. Well, if I'm buying a license to view movie "X", then the disc it's on is just a transportation medium (no different than the phone or cable line used to download software), and like software we should expect to be offered upgrades for free or reduced cost when new versions come out.

They want it both ways, but we shouldn't let them have it such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post

Wow...I am really surprised by how smart people can't see the plain obvious. DRM is here to stay for ever.

I go back and forth on that. On the one had, as I said above, I don't see the industry as rational enough to abandon DRM. On the other, there have been some signs that the industry might see the light, for example EMI offering DRM-free music on iTunes. Also the choice of the DVD forum to not use region coding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TType85 View Post

I used to use the "MKV" container when I was bringing all my DVDs to the HTPC. It's really the only container that would allow me to keep AC3 audio, subtitles and h264 video. I have since gone to the "MP4" container and AAC audio since I figured out how to get it tomy receiver correctly.

That is a "fair" reason to have MKV, it's not just for pirating.

I agree 100%. And as said above, I've got nothing against discussing usage of the MKV container. But if I may "ask" a rhetorical question. Have you ever had trouble playing an MKV you made? I'd bet the answer is no. I would not expect the type of questions I see from people with making their own rips.

Quote:

I purchased the movies, I converted them and I don't share them with other people.

Bravo, and I mean that sincerely.

Quote:

What if I want to burn one of my "MKV" movies to a DVD to take with me on my vacation without digging out the original that I have in storage? This would be one of the places I would ask how to do it.

Fair enough, but it would seem easier to just get the original out of storage.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #39 of 42 Old 10-04-2007, 04:26 PM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Wow i guess i'm behind the times, i've never even heard of MKV

Good, cheap, easy - pick any two.
post #40 of 42 Old 10-04-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAP View Post

me neither.....

post #41 of 42 Old 10-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAP View Post

Oh no. This thread just shot itself in the foot.
post #42 of 42 Old 10-04-2007, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco View Post

Ding, Ding

As a DJ, I can totally relate to this. I have gone on record SEVERAL times that I am WILLING to pay a small nominal fee for access to songs I already own. It would save time as I wouldn't have to spend HOURS ripping 12" singles and albums.

Yet the only way to get this content is through P2P usual as DJ's with more free time than I have seem to have done the work for me. I already own the song, you can not charge me twice for it.

Media companies are in business for profit, which means they will only do what is profitable.

Releasing content only 3 people out of 3 million want might not warrant the investment in releasing that content to the masses. So it stays in vaults locked up for YEARS.

George Lucas has no problem charging you now 4 times for the first Star Wars trilogy. Every time there is a better way to store video content, he would re-release the movie. Disney does the same thing, you don't complain generally because your children are only young ONCE.

B&M media stores are dying a slow death, the market has changed, its time the music industry and the video content industry to changed with the times.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page