HTPC tuners not getting the same channels as my HDTV's. Recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 2 Hauppauge 1600 hybrid tuners in my HTPC....and currently am getting 7 digital over the air channels from the nearest broadcast towers (about 19miles away). Only 1 of those are actually an HD broadcast. So, I put a larger antenna on my roof recently in hopes to pick up more channels from Richmond, VA (about 70miles away). I can now get Fox HD out of Richmond...but only on a clear day. Bummer.

BUT...If I hook up my antenna directly to my Panasonic Plasma's ATSC tuner (bypassing my HTPC), I get ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS, and NBC all in amazing HD. Fantastic!! They come in perfectly, even on a cloudy day.
I use my HTPC, as my DVR...and REALLY want to get these channels.
So it seems, that my Hauppauge 1600's are just not good at picking up the signals as my HDTV's tuner.
Is there anything I can do to improve my Hauppauge 1600's reception?...or can anyone recommend another card that I switch too?
I am switching soon from my Geforce 7900GT to a 8500 in my HTPC. Is there a chance that will improve my issue since the 8500 handles HD better?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2007, 10:18 PM

Hi,

I have no experience with the 1600 but I am using a Cats Eye 150 and it pulls in all the area channels. That doesn't mean that it's a better card but if you are looking for an alternative, this Vbox product is worth trying.

I believe Vbox was the original reference standard chosen by Microsoft when it was looking at this area, or so I've read and is probably excellent hardware. The down side is that it comes with no multimedia software so you'll need something. I use BeyondTV with mine.

Regards,
Adnan
Old 10-02-2007, 10:21 PM

You aren't by any chance using a splitter on your antenna cable are you? If the 1600 didn't do too well, it may be the fact that you have split the signal. Your statement of hooking the TV directly prompts the question. A direct feed to the TV may indeed be better. Compare the 1600 with the TV simultaneously while both are on a splitter.

Hope that helps,
Adnan
Old 10-03-2007, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healey3000 View Post

You aren't by any chance using a splitter on your antenna cable are you?

I am using a splitter in order to divide the line to the 2 seperate 1600's....but...I'm still using a splitter when I plugged the antenna directly to my TV (I just unplugged one of the coax wires directly out of the 1600 and then plugged it into the TV.)
Old 10-03-2007, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If your looking for alternative tuners, Vbox, Avermedia A180 or the M780, or the newer VistaView Saber DA-1N1-I

The vista view and the M780 have a better LG demodulator where as the HVR-1600 uses a slightly less than stellar conextant demodulator.

But before you go down the route of a different tuner card try taking the the splitter off and doing a single coax straight into one tuner card and see if that makes a difference at all.

also no a video card change won't help make the reception better.

- Josh
Old 10-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

From what I remember reading on MissingRemote (and on here as well),

The Hauppauge 1600 uses an older chip that is not as sensitive as the one in newer cards (and HDTVs?).

For your PC silencing needs...check out www.silentpcreview.com

For your WHS needs...check out www.wegotserved.co.uk
Old 10-03-2007, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12