What do I need to PROPERLY hook up my PC to my HT? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's up guys...

I've been running my new HT equipment now for about 8 months and couldn't be happier. However, I'm always looking to expand the functionality of the HT. I'm also a hardcore computer enthusiast. I have a total of three PCs at home, all located within 7ft from my HT components. I have two identical high end PCs and one PC that I use as a server.

The closest PC to the HT components is one of my high end gaming rigs. Since it's the closest and one of the most powerful, I'd like to hook it up to my setup so I could watch videos, listen to audio, or even have a gaming session with the HT setup.

The computer components (important one's for HT) are as follows:

Intel E6600 @ 3.4Ghz
eVGA 8800GTX (Video Card)
X-Fi Xtreme Music (Sound Card)
XP Home

HT Components (audio/video processors):
Onkyo TX-SR804
Panasonic TH-58PX600U

Now, I've done this in the past with my old Rear Projection TV, however the scaling and resolutions NEVER worked out properly.

This is what I'm figuring...

S-Video out from Video Card -> Input on Receiver
Audio out (optical hopefully) from Sound Card -> Receiver

That seems like the basic logical setup. However, I have a feeling that the S-video connection is why the resolution's don't scale properly. Wouldn't I need a component cable from the PC to the Receiver in order to get HD/Widescreen resolutions? Do they sell DVI->Component Cables? My video card has two DVI ports and one S-video port.

Any input on how I could hook up the video portion properly? The audio isn't all that bad -> It's the video that screws me up every time.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Yamaha RX-V675 | Primus 363s fronts | Primus 163 rears | Primus 351 Center | Rythmik LV12R Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You might mention what you're using for a display and what video signals your receiver passes.

Oh sure, I've been abducted. Heck, we've all been abducted.
The trick is to keep them from reading your thoughts.
Wear a hat and try to remain thoughtless at all times.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Doh! I forgot about that! Components are below:

Onkyo TX-SR804
Panasonic TH-58PX600U

Could I go DVI (from PC) -> TV and Audio from PC to receiver. Then just "program" the receiver to work on the TV's DVI input?

The receiver can handle Component, Composite, S-Video, and HDMI (All HDMI's Used) for Video. It supports Optical, Coaxial and Composite Audio.

Yamaha RX-V675 | Primus 363s fronts | Primus 163 rears | Primus 351 Center | Rythmik LV12R Sub
Old 10-12-2007, 05:48 AM

yes DVI -> TV, don't even think of S-Video .

then as you said, optical or digital coax to the receiver and you're set.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 AM

I'm trying to do the same thing and I was thinking using a DVI/HDMI cable. I have an ATI 1650Pro in my PC and a Samsung 40" 720P/1080i. Is the DVI/HDMI the best setup? I have VGA, RGB, S-Video and HDMI connections on my tv and VGA, DVI, and S-Video on my graphics card. Also if I do use the DVI/HDMI cable, does it transfer the audio as well?
Old 10-12-2007, 08:51 AM

you should connect your pc directly to your tv with a dvi-to-hdmi cable (if you have an open hdmi port on you panny).
and IIRC, the X-FI Xtreme Music card only has a flexi port that can be used as as a coax out, no optical. so, connect the card to your AVR with a coax cable.
you might have to adjust settings on your equipment to make sure that the card is passing SPDIF, the tv is accepting a pc signal, and the AVR is accepting the pc as an input (but depending on what all of your current settings are, you may not need to change anything).
Old 10-12-2007, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info everyone. I just found out that the X-Fi digital is only 2 channel. So I'm going to go analog and hook up the audio via three 3.5->RCA cables, this way I'll be able to get surround sound!

Old 10-12-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnick1 View Post

Thanks for the info everyone. I just found out that the X-Fi digital is only 2 channel. So I'm going to go analog and hook up the audio via three 3.5->RCA cables, this way I'll be able to get surround sound!

kind of confusing the way creative explains things but the x-fi actually does pass multichannel audio in bitstream format to an AVR (which then decodes the stream with the proper decoder).
if you connect the sound card directly to a pc speaker set (which has no decoding), you will only get 2 channel through the coax digital out. but with an AVR, you'll get all channels.
http://ask.americas.creative.com/SRV....com,case=5764
Old 10-12-2007, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome to know! However, what cables would I need to get the Digital Out to work? Do I need a s.5mm -> RCA converter, then a regular coax cable? Or does creative sell a special cable?

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2007, 05:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuba View Post

you should connect your pc directly to your tv with a dvi-to-hdmi cable (if you have an open hdmi port on you panny).
and IIRC, the X-FI Xtreme Music card only has a flexi port that can be used as as a coax out, no optical. so, connect the card to your AVR with a coax cable.
you might have to adjust settings on your equipment to make sure that the card is passing SPDIF, the tv is accepting a pc signal, and the AVR is accepting the pc as an input (but depending on what all of your current settings are, you may not need to change anything).

What kind of connector/cable will be needed to connect Flexijack to coax digital?
3.5mm mono or 3.5mm stereo?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnick1 View Post

Awesome to know! However, what cables would I need to get the Digital Out to work? Do I need a s.5mm -> RCA converter, then a regular coax cable? Or does creative sell a special cable?

Thanks!

if your card has an optical or coaxial out then use that..you can probably get something through creative but you'd be better off going somewhere like monoprice to get the same thing for a fraction of the cost...same goes for DVI cable. i got a 25footer for about $40 with the money you save by going there you can always pick up an HDMI splitter if you don't currently have the free ports on your TV

It's all about the sound!