HDMI Output results in pink layer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 10-13-2007, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some serious problems with the hdmi connection from my htpc to my new samsung 40m86.

For some reason, a pink / purple "layer" is above the displayed image. But this is only in windows. During startup (bios) all colors are correct.

I've tried to reinstall the ati drivers as well as windows without any luck. Its the same on all resolutions.

The htpc and hdmi cable works perfectly fine on my old samsung 32" lcd in 720p.

Here are two screen shots to illustrate the problem:

The first picture is the windows vista default screen saver (the background color should be black).

The second picture is withing vista with mediaportal running. The same problems with colors can be seen here.

I've tried the different hdmi inputs on the tv with no luck, my Toshiba hd-dvd works perfectly fine as well as xbox 360 over vga.

Graphics card: ATI Saphire Radeon X1600 (HDMI Output only)
TV: Samsung 40M86

Any ideas or suggestions are highly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-13-2007, 03:04 AM

How long is your HDMI cable run? I had similar problems running a 10m (15ft) cable from my PC to HDTV. However, it is ok with a 6m cable. HDMI devices are only regulated to meet a 5m specification.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-13-2007, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

it's 2 m and is a high quality cable (~$70 if I can remember correctly).

It looks like its a problem with the color space over the hdmi output, but I can't seem to find a setting for it.

An update:

Tested with my laptop (with hdmi and nvidia based card) and everything works perfectly fine, so it seems to be a problem with ati based cards.
post #4 of 21 Old 10-13-2007, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
What resolution are you using?
And is it one that your Samsung manual says is will accept over HDMI.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-13-2007, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

I've tested 1080p (1920x1080 @ 60,50, 24Hz) as well as 720p and 800x600.

According to the manual all the listed 1080p settings above are supported.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Seriously, no one with at least some ideas on what may be causing this?
post #7 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Have you made sure that your Video settings are set to PAL/NTSC correctly?
post #8 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Yes. And as far as I know, there are nothing like PAL and NTSC when it comes to LCD panels. (But i've tried 50hz, 60hz and 24hz)
post #9 of 21 Old 10-28-2007, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Been testing pretty much everything the last couple of days without success.
So a new graphics card has to be purchased (preferably nVidia due to my problems), could you guys recommend any good and silent cards for use in a htpc that can handle 1080p without problem and with dvi and / or hdmi output?
post #10 of 21 Old 10-28-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanjel View Post

It looks like its a problem with the color space over the hdmi output, but I can't seem to find a setting for it.

Yep, looks like your ATI card is outputing YCbCr but your display is reading it as RGB. All HDMI ports have to support both, but apparently your display isn't detecting which is acutally being used in Windows, likely becuase it's booting up with RGB and switching to YCbCr when windows loads. In which case, turning the display off and then back on will likely fix the problem. If that doesn't do it, maybe RGB is being forced via some option on the display you could toggle.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-28-2007, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebisme View Post

Yep, looks like your ATI card is outputing YCbCr but your display is reading it as RGB. All HDMI ports have to support both, but apparently your display isn't detecting which is acutally being used in Windows, likely becuase it's booting up with RGB and switching to YCbCr when windows loads. In which case, turning the display off and then back on will likely fix the problem. If that doesn't do it, maybe RGB is being forced via some option on the display you could toggle.

Yeah that is most likely the problem. Switching the display off/on does not help, and as far as I can see, ATI does not provide any settings for the colorspace. Maybe there is a third party tool for this?
post #12 of 21 Old 10-28-2007, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm nearly certain colorspace is the problem because the DVI blade on my plasma only supports RGB, and unless I set my PS3 to force RGB for Blu-ray instead of using YCbCr the movies display with exactly that pinkish-purple color. As for third party tools, I don't know of any and I kinda doubt there would be yet as there aren't many HDMI cards around. But there should be no need to force RGB output when running to an HDMI input anyway since all HDMI inputs are required to support YCbCr. Are you sure there isn't a setting on the display for forcing RGB? My plasma has such settings for inputs that support multiple colorspaces.
post #13 of 21 Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 PM

I'm having the same problem. I replaced an MSI Radeon X1650GT that kept BSoDing on me with a Visiontek X1650 Pro with HDMI output. When no drivers are loaded or if I boot XP in "Enable VGA mode", the colors are fine, but the resolution is fixed at 640x480, which is to be expected.

But once I install Catalyst Drivers 7.10 (with or without the Catalyst Control Center), I get a pink/purple hue over the whole screen. I've used Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5 in Safe Mode, but that has no effect. Still troubleshooting. Will post solution if found. Very frustrating. I just want a decent gaming card for my Shuttle PC and Sharp 52" LCD tv.
post #14 of 21 Old 11-08-2007, 10:07 AM

Update: Problem solved. I yanked out the ATI card and replaced it with an nVidia GeForce 8600GTS, I've posted my experience and results here.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 06:26 AM

I am having the exact same issues. Any fixes for this besides buying a new motherboard/video card?

post #16 of 21 Old 01-05-2008, 04:22 AM

Hello, I registered here so that I could post my solution/fix to this extremely annoying problem. First of all I think it's quite sad to realease ****** products like this that doesn't do what they're supposed to.

I've been trying to get this to work for three days now, trying three different driver versions. (7.12, 7.5, and some old ones which was supposed to contain HDMi drivers, from Sapphires page.) My Samsung M86 would shxow the right colors during boot, and would also flicker with normal colors sometimes when loading the desktop. Starting to play video files would take about 20 seconds while both my screens just kept flashing.

--------
Basically my solution was to get a DVI -> HDMI adapter, and connect my TV through the standard DVI connector on my Sapphire x1600PRO HDMI AGP card.
I already had an old HDMI -> DVI adapter which I got with my Abit F-I90HD, which I used to connect my standard Samsung 710T LCD screen to. A reboot later, and some small settings changes it works like a charm.

This is the cheap solution that costs maybe 20$. It worked for me, and hopefully it'll work for you too. It's quite insane really that the dedicated HDMI output on my card fails so miserably at doing what it's supposed to.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-11-2008, 12:10 PM

i have the same issue, but only recently. i had my htpc hooked up for about four days. then i reinstalled creative sb audigy 2 drivers, and when it rebooted, screen was purple. several ways to fix it temporarily... either unplug/replug hdmi cable or change resolution or switch "video mode" in CCC software (i have HD2600 pro gc). however, on reboot, screen is always purple. hrmph. odd, as this didn't happen at all for several days. i'll try reinstalling the gc drivers.

update: i removed the creative audigy 2 card, drivers, and apps, and now it boots up with no pink/purple hue, every time. no more problems.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 AM

I have the same problem with a projector. If i use the HDMI dongle for my ATI HD2400, it gives a pink layer over the screen, if i use a DVI to HDMI kabel, i get the same result. But if i use a DVI to DVI kabel, its fine and no problems.

anyone that has come up with a solution ?
post #19 of 21 Old 06-24-2009, 09:40 AM

Hello evryone!
I have this problem to on my 46" LCD TV with a computer with an integrated radeon x1200 and a DVI->HDMI cable. On Vista I managed to solve it by installing really old drivers, then change to another channel on my TV and change back. Or turn TV off, then on. I use windows 7 now, and had even more problems with this. I solved it be installing even older drivers.

The name of the working driver is ATI Catalyst 7.12 Windows Vista (64-bit)
This driver works perfectly in Windows 7 build 7100 and the pink/purple fog **** I got is gone! Since this is my first post Im not allowed to post URLs, so you have to google it. I downloaded the driver from Guru3D.

Good Luck!
post #20 of 21 Old 01-21-2014, 05:42 PM

Similar problem FIXED

Hi,

I have my HTPC w/ ATI card hooked up to my LG 42" TV through my YAMAHA RX-V475 A/V Receiver using HDMI's. I have had problems with handshaking between my receiver and TV and  had to do an EDID override(?) to get my PC to recognize my TV.  I came home from work today and turn everything on to find that I have the pink/purple coloring over everything. When rebooting my PC all of my colors look normal, all the menu's on my TV look normal, so it must be something with my PC. A user suggested turning my display on and off which didn't initially work. However after restarting my computer and then turning my receiver on and off at different times from my TV (Receiver on first, then TV. TV on first then receiver.) it eventually returned to normal colors. Hope this helps someone!

post #21 of 21 Old 01-22-2014, 08:48 AM

Liked: 11
I had this issue, turning off any video processing on the receiver for that input solved this. Also making sure correct pixel format on ccc is set.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page