Intel G35 motherboards - Page 25 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2431 Old 02-21-2008, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 195
anybody know if somebody else is going to bring out another G35 board?

I'm sick of having so few choices for native 8-channel LPCM.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2431 Old 02-21-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

I'm going to resist ranting about the frustrations I've had over the past couple of days while demonstrating VMC systems based on both G35 and ATi 2600XT GPU's.

I did not set up my system because I wanted to use VMC. However, I have tried it a few times.

When I try to use VMC with a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun, sometimes it works. Other times, it works for a few seconds, and then I get a message stating "Video Error - files needed to display video are not installed . . ."

I have not spent much time on it, but it is very frustrating.

-Dave
post #723 of 2431 Old 02-21-2008, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I just got my LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo drive and it is not compatible with the G35 chipset??

I get HDCP errors with PowerDVD through my Denon 43206 receiver and I also get errors plugged directly into my Toshiba DLP TV. Both are HDCP compliant.

What gives? Should I just go buy an awesome HDMI AV card and be done with it?

This crap is driving me insane!!!
post #724 of 2431 Old 02-21-2008, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Denon rcvrs. are notorious for handshaking problems... or so the many threads mentioning it would have you believe...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #725 of 2431 Old 02-21-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taeboguy View Post

So I just got my LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo drive and it is not compatible with the G35 chipset??

I get HDCP errors with PowerDVD through my Denon 43206 receiver and I also get errors plugged directly into my Toshiba DLP TV. Both are HDCP compliant.

The Denon issue is well-known, but you should be getting no HDCP errors when plugged directly into the Toshiba. Which graphics drivers are you using, and in what order did you install them on your system?

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #726 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

The Denon issue is well-known, but you should be getting no HDCP errors when plugged directly into the Toshiba. Which graphics drivers are you using, and in what order did you install them on your system?

Actually, now that I think about it there were no HDCP errors on the Toshiba. However, it did tell me my graphics card was not compatible with the application. When I ran the compatibility test things were all in the green. I am using what I think are the latest Intel graphics drivers from June 2007???

So, it looks like I just need to forget this onboard HDMI card on my P5E-VM mobo for now. What is the best bang for the buck on a graphics card that will output HDMI audio and video as well as decode the advanced codecs? Also, will my denon continue to be an issue no matter what graphics card I use?
post #727 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Denon rcvrs. are notorious for handshaking problems... or so the many threads mentioning it would have you believe...

The wierd thing is that I have had 2 stand alone HD-DVD players attached to this receiver with zero problems over the last 1.5 years.

Seems to me there is a problem but I am skeptical that it is a Denon issue.
post #728 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:

I am using what I think are the latest Intel graphics drivers from June 2007???

The latest graphics drivers are from January 2008 (v15.7.3).
post #729 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyus View Post

The latest graphics drivers are from January 2008 (v15.7.3).

Maybe I am thinking of the HDMI audio drivers I have from Intel. What are the latest on those?
post #730 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, now that I think about it there were no HDCP errors on the Toshiba. However, it did tell me my graphics card was not compatible with the application. When I ran the compatibility test things were all in the green. I am using what I think are the latest Intel graphics drivers from June 2007???

Some people have had to do a full system rebuild, but I hope you won't have to. I think the key is to have a 15.6.1 or later graphics driver installed before installing PowerDVD Ultra. I am not positive, but I get the impression that PowerDVD checks once on install as to whether the graphics driver is HDCP compliant or not.

Quote:

Also, will my denon continue to be an issue no matter what graphics card I use?

Probably not. The Intel drivers are picky and lend too much credence to the EDID reported by the receiver. It's possible that other HDMI Audio solutions will be more sane. Hopefully this will change in the future.

but I do work there.
post #731 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The wierd thing is that I have had 2 stand alone HD-DVD players attached to this receiver with zero problems over the last 1.5 years.

Seems to me there is a problem but I am skeptical that it is a Denon issue.

Yep. Standalones and the PS3 trust the end user to know what they are doing and transmit 8-channel sound whether or not the receiver reports it correctly or not. Intel drivers are written to protect the end user from sending streams the receiver cannot decode. I don't agree with this philosophy and have argued against it. We'll see whether my argument has been heard.

The Denon EDID for audio is slightly malformed: to the point where a tight reading of the CEA/EIA-861B spec could argue either way whether it's valid or not.

but I do work there.
post #732 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, it looks like I just need to forget this onboard HDMI card on my P5E-VM mobo for now. What is the best bang for the buck on a graphics card that will output HDMI audio and video as well as decode the advanced codecs? Also, will my denon continue to be an issue no matter what graphics card I use?

Are you running Vista or XP? PDVD does not support Intel graphics in XP.

The ATI 2XXX and 3XXX cards do a great job playing HD DVD and Blu-ray discs using PDVD in either XP or Vista. They do support HDMI audio, but only 2-channel PCM and the DD and DTS streams that are supported by SPDIF. If you are using an ATI card, there is little advantage to HDMI over SPDIF, other than having audio and video carried by a single cable. The G35 is the only solution at the moment that does 6 or 8 channel PCM over HDMI.

If you get an ATI card and want to use HDMI audio, you need the special ATI DVI-to-HDMI adapter. A generic adapter won't work. I would recommend that you shop for a card that specifically states that the adapter is included. Newegg is pretty good about identifying the cards that have the adapter. You can also order the adapter from ATI. However, if you get the adapter included with the card, then the vendor is officially supporting HDMI audio.

-Dave
post #733 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

Are you running Vista or XP? PDVD does not support Intel graphics in XP.

The ATI 2XXX and 3XXX cards do a great job playing HD DVD and Blu-ray discs using PDVD in either XP or Vista. They do support HDMI audio, but only 2-channel PCM and the DD and DTS streams that are supported by SPDIF. If you are using an ATI card, there is little advantage to HDMI over SPDIF, other than having audio and video carried by a single cable. The G35 is the only solution at the moment that does 6 or 8 channel PCM over HDMI.

If you get an ATI card and want to use HDMI audio, you need the special ATI DVI-to-HDMI adapter. A generic adapter won't work. I would recommend that you shop for a card that specifically states that the adapter is included. Newegg is pretty good about identifying the cards that have the adapter. You can also order the adapter from ATI. However, if you get the adapter included with the card, then the vendor is officially supporting HDMI audio.

-Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the great info. I am running Vista Ultimate.

Is there any card that supports more than 2 channel PCM? Nvidia maybe?
post #734 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dave,

Thanks for the great info. I am running Vista Ultimate.

Is there any card that supports more than 2 channel PCM? Nvidia maybe?

At this time, no. The G35 is the only option.

Many people are waiting for Auzentech to introduce a solution. Take a look at the HDMI Soundcard thread if you are interested.

The only reason I chose the Asus P5E-V HDMI is because I wanted 6/8 channel PCM over HDMI, and it is working very well with my Onkyo 905. I think that nVidia or ATI/AMD would have a wildly popular HTPC product if they just added the same HDMI audio functionality that the G35 has. It would also undercut Auzentech. Many people would prefer to use a separate VGA card over an integrated solution.

-Dave
post #735 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:

At this time, no. The G35 is the only option.

Many people are waiting for Auzentech to introduce a solution. Take a look at the HDMI Soundcard thread if you are interested.

The only reason I chose the Asus P5E-V HDMI is because I wanted 6/8 channel PCM over HDMI, and it is working very well with my Onkyo 905. I think that nVidia or ATI/AMD would have a wildly popular HTPC product if they just added the same HDMI audio functionality that the G35 has. It would also undercut Auzentech. Many people would prefer to use a separate VGA card over an integrated solution.

-Dave

I noticed on the ATI site that the HD2600 series supports 5.1 (AC3) sound. Are they saying that is not our of the HDMI interface? Just wondering because it is a bit confusing.

Maybe I should just sell my Denon since it seems to be causing a lot of these issues. I tried an Onkyo 605 when they first came out but had to return it because I had random popping noises coming from all the speakers. Seemed to be a common issue with those receivers. I also had trouble with it passing the video for my Nintendo Wii for older N64 and original Nintendo games. For some reason it just wouldn't pass the video for those.
post #736 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I noticed on the ATI site that the HD2600 series supports 5.1 (AC3) sound. Are they saying that is not our of the HDMI interface? Just wondering because it is a bit confusing.

Maybe I should just sell my Denon since it seems to be causing a lot of these issues. I tried an Onkyo 605 when they first came out but had to return it because I had random popping noises coming from all the speakers. Seemed to be a common issue with those receivers. I also had trouble with it passing the video for my Nintendo Wii for older N64 and original Nintendo games. For some reason it just wouldn't pass the video for those.

Many people in the ATI 2XXX thread were confused about that too. When ATI states that the 2600 supports 5.1 (AC3), they are referring a Dolby Digital stream with a max bitrate of 1536 kbps. This is the same audio format used by HDTV and SD DVDs, and this stream can also be carried by SPDIF. If you want PCM, the ATI cards only do 2-channel at 16 bits/48 kHz.

While the Onkyo's seem to work well with the G35 HDMI audio output, they do have other issues. One issue is that they take a long time to lock on the audio signal when the stream changes. For example, if you are watching ATSC TV, and a 2-channel commercial ends and the audio returns to a 6-channel program, it can take 3-5 seconds before you hear the audio.

Absent any fix from Denon or Intel, I think your best bet will be the Gefen DVI Detector Plus. It is not available yet, but it should be soon. I posted about it here.

-Dave
post #737 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Many people in the ATI 2XXX thread were confused about that too. When ATI states that the 2600 supports 5.1 (AC3), they are referring a Dolby Digital stream with a max bitrate of 1536 kbps. This is the same audio format used by HDTV and SD DVDs, and this stream can also be carried by SPDIF. If you want PCM, the ATI cards only do 2-channel at 16 bits/48 kHz.

While the Onkyo's seem to work well with the G35 HDMI audio output, they do have other issues. One issue is that they take a long time to lock on the audio signal when the stream changes. For example, if you are watching ATSC TV, and a 2-channel commercial ends and the audio returns to a 6-channel program, it can take 3-5 seconds before you hear the audio.

Absent any fix from Denon or Intel, I think your best bet will be the Gefen DVI Detector Plus. It is not available yet, but it should be soon. I posted about it here.

-Dave

Thanks. I looked on that page and it looks like you will have to buy a separate DVI-HDMI adapter. I am assuming that this passes audio as well?

Thanks again for all the info. This is my first experience with HTPC. It is fun but sometimes very frustrating.
post #738 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you would need an HDMI-to-DVI cable to connect from the PC to the DVI Detector Plus, and then another DVI-to-HDMI cable to connect from the DVI Detector Plus to your receiver. Luckily, these cables are pretty cheap at Monoprice.

I am pretty sure it will carry audio, but no one will be sure until it actually ships.

I might purchase one of these. Even though I have everything working pretty well, I do have one issue. If I am watching something in PDVD or Showtime, and I change the input on my Onkyo, the player software sees the change in EDID info and aborts. I need to restart the player software and find my previous spot in the movie. The DVI Detective Plus should fix this.

Of course, the best solution would be for Intel to allow us to define the output and ignore the EDID info. The DVI Detective Plus costs almost as much as a new motherboard, and we really should not have to buy one of these devices just to make everything work right.

-Dave
post #739 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 12:22 PM

I'm using a P5E-VM HDMI motherboard, onboard video, and onboard sound.

Want to double check, if I play MP3 files through Vista Media Center sending the PCM output through SPDIF to my receiver, there will be no sound quality difference from that and having a high end audio card installed, correct?

I'm just thinking that the answer could be complicated.
If I continue to use SPDIF then I think it wouldn't be any different since the receiver is doing all the decoding and analog stages.
If the high end sound card were used to decode and then I use the analog outputs from the sound card then the resulting sound could be better. Wonder if it's noticeable.
post #740 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Yes, you would need an HDMI-to-DVI cable to connect from the PC to the DVI Detector Plus, and then another DVI-to-HDMI cable to connect from the DVI Detector Plus to your receiver. Luckily, these cables are pretty cheap at Monoprice.

I am pretty sure it will carry audio, but no one will be sure until it actually ships.

I might purchase one of these. Even though I have everything working pretty well, I do have one issue. If I am watching something in PDVD or Showtime, and I change the input on my Onkyo, the player software sees the change in EDID info and aborts. I need to restart the player software and find my previous spot in the movie. The DVI Detective Plus should fix this.

Of course, the best solution would be for Intel to allow us to define the output and ignore the EDID info. The DVI Detective Plus costs almost as much as a new motherboard, and we really should not have to buy one of these devices just to make everything work right.

-Dave

So has anyone actually talked with Intel about this driver issue with the HDMI audio? Just wondering if they know it is even a problem.
post #741 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 04:07 PM

Okay...finally some success.

I updated the Intel graphics card to the latest driver set that I thought I had. After doing this the HDCP test from Cyberlink still fails. However, my HD-DVDs are now playing. This may also be in part to a Cyberlink update that I thought I had but was asked to download.

So, things are finally looking up.

I think I will update to the Ultra edition of PowerDVD to get the TrueHD decoding, etc. I wonder what the chances are that it will fix my multichannel HDMI problem?

Who knows.

I really appreciate all the helpful information here from everyone.
post #742 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD500 View Post

I'm using a P5E-VM HDMI motherboard, onboard video, and onboard sound.

Want to double check, if I play MP3 files through Vista Media Center sending the PCM output through SPDIF to my receiver, there will be no sound quality difference from that and having a high end audio card installed, correct?

I'm just thinking that the answer could be complicated.
If I continue to use SPDIF then I think it wouldn't be any different since the receiver is doing all the decoding and analog stages.
If the high end sound card were used to decode and then I use the analog outputs from the sound card then the resulting sound could be better. Wonder if it's noticeable.

I guess two things:

1) If you're playing MP3's which are heavily compressed, since the source isn't very good I wouldn't worry about it to begin with and;
2) You shouldn't notice any different between a high end audio card and the spdif output. Digital is digital.
post #743 of 2431 Old 02-22-2008, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So has anyone actually talked with Intel about this driver issue with the HDMI audio? Just wondering if they know it is even a problem.

Which (of several) driver issues are you referring to? If it's the Denon one, yes, I brought it to their attention, and their response what that Denon's EDID was malformed and Denon should provide a firmware upgrade to fix it. I don't particularly like that answer, but it's what the current word is.

but I do work there.
post #744 of 2431 Old 02-24-2008, 04:11 PM

I've been away from this thread for a while - please excuse my laziness in not reading the past few pages (I've been studying DIY gray screens elsewhere in the AVSForum!).

Has anyone found a fix for the resolution persistence yet?

Intel's site still lists the same 14.32.3 (from 12/29/2007) XP driver, so I assume there's been zero progress on their end.

The most reliable way I've found to keep desktop resolution settings persistent is to turn the PC on AFTER turning on every other device in the display signal chain.

Is there a way to complain to Intel about this?

Thanks,
Jay
post #745 of 2431 Old 02-24-2008, 07:21 PM

A quick question for those who are passing LPCM over HDMI to their receivers using these boards. When the track is only 6 channels (such as TrueHD 5.1), do you do any upmixing to 8 channel, or do you generally just leave it as 6 channel?

Thanks!
post #746 of 2431 Old 02-24-2008, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I want my receiver to do the conversion, so I change the HDMI audio driver settings and the output in PDVD to match the source. However, this is a bit of a pain, so if you don't want to do that, I would leave everything at 8 channels.

Nero Showtime has a "direct" audio output option, so I don't need to change anything in Showtime, but I still need to change the audio driver.

-Dave
post #747 of 2431 Old 02-24-2008, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_S View Post

I've been away from this thread for a while - please excuse my laziness in not reading the past few pages (I've been studying DIY gray screens elsewhere in the AVSForum!).

Has anyone found a fix for the resolution persistence yet?

Intel's site still lists the same 14.32.3 (from 12/29/2007) XP driver, so I assume there's been zero progress on their end.

14.33 is out internally and should show up on the external site this week.

Quote:

The most reliable way I've found to keep desktop resolution settings persistent is to turn the PC on AFTER turning on every other device in the display signal chain.

Is there a way to complain to Intel about this?

http://supportmail.intel.com/scripts...lcome.aspx?id=

but I do work there.
post #748 of 2431 Old 02-25-2008, 06:26 AM

Hi there guys,
I've been following this thread for a couple of days now and I must give the compliments to archibael who does a fine job of support!

Perhaps one of you can help me out a bit futher:

My specs are:
Asus P5E-V HDMI - BIOS 0307 (board rev. 1.02g)
Using onboard IGD but I'm using the sound through the Realtek onboard audio.
Vista 32-bit installed (without SP1 due dutch version) with Intel VGA driver ver. 15.7.3
We're using a 10ft HDMI cable, tested with a PS3 and it works.

Got the following situation that's when i turn on the computer i should get the bios boot screen but I only get the message "no signal".
I'm using the Samsung LCD-TV-model le46n87b
The input of the Samsung LCD-TV-model le46n87b is directly connected with a HDMI/HDMI output of the P5E-V HDMI motherboard.
There are no repeater/receiver being used in this situation.
I've tried 2 different HDMI cables but no luck untill now.

We've installed the latest Intel graphics driver (version: 15.7.3)
We've upgradeded to the latest BIOS version

Still getting the error msg on LCD "no signal"

Any experience with this one?

Thx!
Daniel
post #749 of 2431 Old 02-25-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

14.33 is out internally and should show up on the external site this week.

Thanks!

Do you have a change log for the new driver that you can post here?
post #750 of 2431 Old 02-25-2008, 08:30 AM

Any help is much appreciated.

I have Origen S21T built in 12.1 touch screen attached. It seems working fine with external monitor and built in at the same time. Recently had to shutoff the pc entirely to hook my 3TB samsung drives as IDE. When i reboot nothing comes up. Then i clear the CMOS and it started back.

Now i am having troubles to see my external monitor connected through HDMI. HannsG 28 inch monitor. When i right click and goto graphics properties, i don't see it there as well. There is an OUTPUT option before, now i don't see that either.

Any idea, i am on the latest from Intel and ASUS tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page