post #631 of 19149 Old 01-02-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddklost View Post

I have an ATI Sapphire X1600 Pro AGP (says its "HDCP-ready") with a Westinghouse 42" 1080P (HDCP compliant),

I have the LG combo Blu Ray/HD DVD drive with PowerDVD 7.3.3319f. I have a DVI to HDMI cable and the software will not run, saying its Digital but not HDCP compliant.

I can run the Movies with AnyDVD HD running, but thats not what I want and the lastest PowerDVD now detects AnyDVD HD and will not let you play Blu Ray.

Question, will a later ATI card like the 3870 work with this configuration?

First of all there is no AGP version of the latest ATI cards (HD 3850/3870). PowerColor is introducing HD 3850 AGP soon, but it is unknown if it works. The current HD 2400/2600 AGP has a serious driver problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 19149 Old 01-02-2008, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have quite a few downloaded 720p mkvs and even a couple of 1080p (8.5GB) mkv files (encoded with x264).

I'm thinking of upgrading my HTPC from a P4 2.8 (which can't handle 720p files in Vista) to an AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 Brisbane 2.3GHz, on a new AMD motherboard with integrated H264 for when I get an actual blu-ray/hd-dvd drive - I know it doesn't help for the actual x264 stuff...that took a while to find out with an x1600 card! I like 45W CPU because it runs cool and quite so I won't need another fan, but I realize I can get a 65W 4800+ for the same price...

So, my question is would the Brisbane 2.3GHz be able to handle my downloaded 720p and 1080p content in Windows Vista (I'd also get 2/3 GB ram)? I like Vista because of the Media Center for pictures, music and videos.
post #633 of 19149 Old 01-02-2008, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

demon2204

I think 2.3GHz is good to marginal (depending on a file). Be prepared to overclock it (BE-2400 overclocks pretty well).
post #634 of 19149 Old 01-02-2008, 07:39 PM

What is too hot for the P35?

I am not overclocking my E2180, it is at 2Ghz.

Under load, (orthos blend test), my tbalancer thermal probes say top of NB heatsink (where digital probe is mounted) is reaching 62C.

In speedfan, the mysteriously labeled Temp1 aka system temp in EasyTune 5 reads lower (like 55C). Assuming this is also NB temp, would you expect this?

Tbalancer is set to alarm at 60C where is sets all fans to 100%, can I adjust this to 65C?

Another possibility is to calibrate Tbalncer digtal probe to speedfan Temp1, any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris
post #635 of 19149 Old 01-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Location: Living among the children of the corn in Oxford, (S.E.), PA.
Well it's post-Xmas, time to get started. I see NewEGG has Intel open box P35 mobos for $75, would it be worth waiting till Q2 for P45 mobos to get 'substantially' more improvements/features over the $75 Intel BLKDP35DPM , or should I just get started?

Rest of my build should be as below, though an nVidia 8600gt at a good price could creep in there.

Edit: Disregard, I already have the ram, and its the wrong voltage for the Intel board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcarroll View Post

R -

Thanks for your work, and as a by-product, the excellant feedback you ellicit from the community.

I'm looking to convert my existing HTPC to a digital dictation PC, have already installed Dragon Dictate on it.

I have the week after Xmas off, my wife must work, so I have that week earmarked as rebuild date.

I'm looking to build a high end, no-gaming rig, and will use your suggested build as baseline;

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz Socket 775, $194.
CPU Cooler: ZEROtherm BTF90, $30 (after rebate at Newegg.com).
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Intel P35 chipset ATX, $178. An alternative is abit IP35 Pro, $179.
Memory: Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT12864AA804 DDR2-800 2 x 1GB Kit, $50 (after rebate at Newegg.com).
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3850 (any brand), $179.
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB HD501LJ 500GB SATA, $110.
PSU: Corsair HX520W, $100.
Case: SilverStone Grandia SST-GD01B-MXR, $229.

My questions,

- does anyone know what sales may be coming up in next 4 weeks that may lessen cost
- I will reuse my wifi card, 320gig hd, (I have a 2TB WHS box for storage), and LC03 case, will the 400watt Silverstone psu be enough, or is an upgrade called for?
- looking at the the LG dual drive for HDDVD/BR, does that impact anything?
- will substituting the following be a problem?:
another GPU consideration is the asus 8500gt (link)
256mb ddr3 and 600mhz clock for $80

Thanks,

Gene

"The Bundys' proud name was built on a philosophy of lying. Well, lying, owing money and perhaps beer. Yes, lying, owing money and beer. The only thing that separates us from the Kennedys is that they have money." - Al Bundy
post #636 of 19149 Old 01-02-2008, 10:42 PM

Liked: 11
Renethx in another post you said how bad the phenom processors were and recomended Intel but you now have a phenom in the premium 2 build. Is the black edition different from the others and a better buy than c2d 6750?

There are good reasons why Phenom 9500/9600 is so cheap. Not only they are far inferior to Q6600 but also:

The Tech Report – Chip problem limits supply of quad-core Opterons (December 3, 2007)
The Tech Report – Erratum degrades Phenom 9500, 9600 performance (December 3, 2007)
The Tech Report – Phenom TLB patch benchmarked (December 6, 2007)
Quote:
The erratum is present in all AMD quad-core processors up to the current B2 revision. AMD has said a revision B3 is in the works and expected in Q1. One source told TR that large quantities of B3 chips might not be available until the end of Q1.

Quote:
The potential for instability with the TLB erratum can be corrected via BIOS-based workaround, but multiple sources have suggested the BIOS fix involves a substantial performance hit. AMD has publicly estimated the performance penalty for the BIOS fix could be around 10%, and one source pegged the penalty at 10-20%. AMD has acknowledged that the TLB erratum particularly affects virtualization, and industry sources say the performance hit from the fix may be most severe with virtualization, as well. Server administrators responsible for virtualized environments will probably want to wait for the B3-rev CPUs before upgrading.

Quote:
Across every test we ran, the difference between the Phenom 9600 with and without the TLB patch averages out to 19.8%. However, if we rule out the synthetic memory tests and consider only the application tests, that difference drops to 13.9%.

As we've reported elsewhere, AMD does plan to fix the TLB erratum with a new revision of its quad-core chip due some time in mid-to-late Q1 of 2008. Once the new revision is available, the Phenom 9500 and 9600 will be replaced by the 9550 and 9650, with the -50 suffix denoting the updated silicon and higher performance. Most users will want to wait until those new Phenom models are available before paying full price for a Phenom processor or a system based on one.

In general, if you plan on buying a Phenom processor, you'd better wait for a hardware fix in the B3 revision (9550, 9650, 9700, 9900).
post #637 of 19149 Old 01-03-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iannecj View Post

What is too hot for the P35?

I am not overclocking my E2180, it is at 2Ghz.

Under load, (orthos blend test), my tbalancer thermal probes say top of NB heatsink (where digital probe is mounted) is reaching 62C.

In speedfan, the mysteriously labeled Temp1 aka system temp in EasyTune 5 reads lower (like 55C). Assuming this is also NB temp, would you expect this?

Tbalancer is set to alarm at 60C where is sets all fans to 100%, can I adjust this to 65C?

Another possibility is to calibrate Tbalncer digtal probe to speedfan Temp1, any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

System Temp is not the NB temperature. The sensor is located somewhere else on the mb (near SB?).

Processor runs fine at 70C. Then NB should run fine at 65C.
post #638 of 19149 Old 01-03-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo17 View Post

Renethx in another post you said how bad the phenom processors were and recomended Intel but you now have a phenom in the premium 2 build. Is the black edition different from the others and a better buy than c2d 6750?

Unfortunately Black Edition is still B2 and has TLB erratum. Well, Phenom is a quad-core processor and is faster than Core 2 Duo E6750 in many (quad-core optimized) applications at default speed. Phenom with AMD 790FX chipset is the only solution for CrossFire workstation (X38 can't compete with 790FX).
post #639 of 19149 Old 01-04-2008, 12:31 AM

Greetings from Australia !

I won a bare bones shuttle SG33G5 in a competition and am considering turning it into a htpc for 1080p TV and later Bluray/HDdvd playback using a combo drive. I have the following spare parts lying around I can use:

msi 6600GT pcie vga card
1Gb dual channel Geil ddr2 800 ram kit
pioneer 111d dvd burner
dvico dvb-t lite tv HD tv tuner pci
WD 320Gb sata hdd

My questions then are:

1. Should I use the onboard gma3100 graphics via hdmi and try to get video/audio down one cable, or the 6600gt and spdif (I have a 70" sony sxrd rptv and a sony 5300 reciever) ?

2. If I upgrade to a combo HD drive could I get lossless audio working to my reciever if pdvd ends up supporting it?

3. Is my ram enough ?

4. What lga775 cpu should I get to cover myself for both HD tv and bluray/hdvd?

Cheers in advance, this is a great forum
post #640 of 19149 Old 01-04-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Gav
Not sure about KDF-60XBR950, but in general ATI cards work much better with a rear projection TV.

Could you point me to somewhere this is discussed? I've been running a GeForce7600GS (AGP) in my current HTPC with my Sony KDS55A2000 SXRD rear projection TV and the Resize Desktop function of the drivers works great to get the desktop within the visible area of the screen. For my planned HD capable HTPC I had been planning on an 8500/8600, but now I'm not so sure...

-John
post #641 of 19149 Old 01-04-2008, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterfood View Post

Could you point me to somewhere this is discussed? I've been running a GeForce7600GS (AGP) in my current HTPC with my Sony KDS55A2000 SXRD rear projection TV and the Resize Desktop function of the drivers works great to get the desktop within the visible area of the screen. For my planned HD capable HTPC I had been planning on an 8500/8600, but now I'm not so sure...

-John

There are too many posts about overscan problem with NVIDIA cards. Search this forum with keywords overscan and NVIDIA. I would buy both NVIDIA and ATI cards, test them and sell the one that I don't like.
post #642 of 19149 Old 01-04-2008, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by venno View Post

Greetings from Australia !

I won a bare bones shuttle SG33G5 in a competition and am considering turning it into a htpc for 1080p TV and later Bluray/HDdvd playback using a combo drive. I have the following spare parts lying around I can use:

msi 6600GT pcie vga card
1Gb dual channel Geil ddr2 800 ram kit
pioneer 111d dvd burner
dvico dvb-t lite tv HD tv tuner pci
WD 320Gb sata hdd

My questions then are:

1. Should I use the onboard gma3100 graphics via hdmi and try to get video/audio down one cable, or the 6600gt and spdif (I have a 70" sony sxrd rptv and a sony 5300 reciever) ?

2. If I upgrade to a combo HD drive could I get lossless audio working to my reciever if pdvd ends up supporting it?

3. Is my ram enough ?

4. What lga775 cpu should I get to cover myself for both HD tv and bluray/hdvd?

Cheers in advance, this is a great forum

1. As 6600 GT lacks HDCP, you can't use it for BD/HD DVD playback.

2. Yes, GMA 3000 with HDMI is capable of lossless audio.

3. If you use XP, yes. If VISTA, you need 2GB.

4. Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz or higher (e.g. E4600, E6750). Or buy a cheap Pentium Dual-Core and overclock it.
post #643 of 19149 Old 01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by iannecj View Post

[b][color="Red"]Under load, (orthos blend test), my tbalancer thermal probes say top of NB heatsink (where digital probe is mounted) is reaching 62C.

Thanks,

Chris

I'm unsure what tbalancer is, to tell the truth, but the SpeedFan temp you're seeing is likely not the Northbridge temp, but rather a temp somewhere else on the motherboard (the System temp as reported in the BIOS).

I'm not sure if Speedfan can even report the northbridge temperature. I think the only way to get Northbridge temperature is by using Intel's QST/HECI features which will take up 8-16MB of system RAM to function. Compare temperatures to the BIOS setup reporting instead of tbalancer to see if you're not confusing sensors...

I noticed the following in my motherboard BIOS... If I have QST set to off, the motherboard BIOS monitoring temps are restricted to CPU and SYS temps on my board (which is a mATX Gigabyte board). That system temperature is the one that co-incides with one of the "other" (non-CPU) temp sensors reported by SpeedFan. However if I set QST to on, reboot and go back into the BIOS, I then see the (G)MCH temperature displayed and yes it can be above 60C pretty easily IIRC. This temperature is not available unless QST is enabled.

Even with QST enabled, SpeedFan doesn't seem to find the MCH temperature anyway (and QST is a waste of RAM IMO, along with the fact that you have to install the HECI driver for it which takes up even more memory). It might be possible for another program (like Everest? but I've never tried it) to find the MCH temp but I've had no success with SpeedFan finding it.

I don't think a 62C MCH is a big deal, though you could put an aftermarket sink and/or fan on it if you're really concerned. I'm sure you'll find the Tmax for it in Intel's spec sheets, if you really need to know what the highest temperature it can run at is...
post #644 of 19149 Old 01-04-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

An ADD2 HDMI card is in essence just a HDMI transmitter. You need an integrated graphics processor (so you can't use P35). Audio is provided from HD Audio Link header that is connected to the chipset's HD Audio controller.

BTW P5LD2-VM does not have HD Audio Link header. GA-G33-DS3R/GA-G33M-DS2R has it.

On the subject of the HD Link header and the ADD2 cards...

Since the ADD2 card only does video related functions over the PCI-e bus (I'm assuming there's no audio here) and takes the audio to combine with the video portion of the signal to form a full A/V HDMI signal, you would think that theoretically it's possible to get the audio portion without the ADD card at all right?

What I'm getting at is, if some manufacturer were willing to make such a device, shouldn't you be able to get DVI video from any video card and then combine it with the audio from the HD Link header and get a full, audio-included, HDMI signal to output to other gear without having to sacrifice a decent graphics card for crappy on-board video? But then I doubt we'd ever see such a peripheral/card released by anyone, unfortunately.

I'm really not sure here but it seems to make some sense that if you can take the video from the onboard combine it with audio from the header and get an HDMI signal, you should be able to do this with any videocard, no?

Then again the SDO/SDI signals of the audio link might have to line up somehow with the video signals in such a way that it could only be done with the on-board video to form a proper TMDS signal? Also I suppose a DVI output (from a videocard) is already a TMDS signal for the display device and you'd have to then be adding the audio to it which might not be ideal or even possible.

However in that case, you would think that videocard manufacturers could implement this (like what ATI has done but using the HD Audio Link header instead of S/PDIF)... Of course it's doubtful given this header only appears on motherboards with onboard video

Seems the idea of the link header is good, it just becomes pointless when you're tied to on-board video
post #645 of 19149 Old 01-04-2008, 11:02 PM

Is getting AC3 5.1 audio to my receiver from the on-board S/PDIF on my new Gigabyte P35-DS4 really this hard, or am I some sort of idiot??

I've lurked in this thread for a while now, and stayed pretty close to many of the recommendations for mobo, proc, memory, video card, etc., so I felt pretty confident I'd have an easy time of putting it all together and getting excellent results.

The part I thought might be hardest -- getting 1080p out over DVI/HDMI -- proved to be a snap! So, brimming with confidence, I went on to get the audio tuned up.

In my naivete, I tried an AVI with AC3 in VLC, and it stuttered like a SOB. Poked around in various fora, and figured out how to make it stop. (Yay, me.)

But no matter what I do (using VLC, MPC, AC3 Filter, and the Realtek HD Audio control panel app thingy), I can't seem to get true 5.1-channel audio out!

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? There aren't hardware issues I'm missing, are there?
post #646 of 19149 Old 01-05-2008, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

On the subject of the HD Link header and the ADD2 cards...

Since the ADD2 card only does video related functions over the PCI-e bus (I'm assuming there's no audio here) and takes the audio to combine with the video portion of the signal to form a full A/V HDMI signal, you would think that theoretically it's possible to get the audio portion without the ADD card at all right?

Correct.

Quote:
What I'm getting at is, if some manufacturer were willing to make such a device, shouldn't you be able to get DVI video from any video card and then combine it with the audio from the HD Link header and get a full, audio-included, HDMI signal to output to other gear without having to sacrifice a decent graphics card for crappy on-board video? But then I doubt we'd ever see such a peripheral/card released by anyone, unfortunately.

The HD Audio Link header is not a proptrietary interface (no more proprietary than HD Audio/Azalia in general, which all modern motherboard audio uses anyway), so, yes, ATI and Nvidia could choose to build their audio solutions around it. For whatever reason, they have chosen not to.

Quote:
Then again the SDO/SDI signals of the audio link might have to line up somehow with the video signals in such a way that it could only be done with the on-board video to form a proper TMDS signal? Also I suppose a DVI output (from a videocard) is already a TMDS signal for the display device and you'd have to then be adding the audio to it which might not be ideal or even possible.

The simple solution would be to have the syncing and muxing happen on the graphics card (as happens with the ADD2). There's nothing special about the onboard video which makes that easier.

Quote:
However in that case, you would think that videocard manufacturers could implement this (like what ATI has done but using the HD Audio Link header instead of S/PDIF)... Of course it's doubtful given this header only appears on motherboards with onboard video

Actually, there were several Intel P965 (no integrated graphics) boards which had the HDA Link header on them. I think Intel believed "if we build it, they will come"... and no one joined the party.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #647 of 19149 Old 01-05-2008, 08:35 AM

Has any MB with DD Live???
post #648 of 19149 Old 01-05-2008, 11:56 AM

anybody know if a BFG 7900GT OC has HDCP or is capable of playing HD? I tried four 1080p .mkv (HD x264) files last night and only 2 played smoothly, Shoot'em Up and 2Fast 2 Furious didn't play right, audio went smoothly though. Bourne Supremacy and The Matrix were perfect.

I'm also running an AMD X2 4200+ with 2gb ram on winXP, Acer EM61SM/EM61PM motherboard, if that helps any. i don't know if the cpu or the videocard is the problem.

i was just hoping to add a soundcard w/spdif to this rig and turning it from my desktop to an htpc.
post #649 of 19149 Old 01-05-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookshank View Post

Probably, but they are few and far between I think.

I know for sure that some boards have DTS-Connect available on them, so DD-Live is probably on some boards as well.

Interestingly some chipsets are not much different but there is a price premium for the ones that do the DTS/DD on-the-fly bit. For example my particular motherboard has an ALC889A audio chipset on it, but there is a variant of my mohterboard which is actually worse overclocking and features-wise, but has HDMI out for the on-board video (mine doesn't) and then an ALC889D audio chipset which has DTS Connect capabilities. Other than the DTS Connect, the chipset is exactly the same I believe. So you do have to look into it a bit.

In any case, yes, there should be boards with DD Live on-board

Quote:
Originally Posted by indelible View Post

anybody know if a BFG 7900GT OC has HDCP or is capable of playing HD? I tried four 1080p .mkv (HD x264) files last night and only 2 played smoothly, Shoot'em Up and 2Fast 2 Furious didn't play right, audio went smoothly though. Bourne Supremacy and The Matrix were perfect.

I'm not sure if the 7900 accelerates h.264 at all (check with Nvidia for information about that) but the GPU accelerating video or not does depend on your installed codecs. What codecs/players are you using to play the HD video? Codecs like ffdshow don't seem to use GPU accleration at all, for example (meaning that even if your GPU can accelerate h.264 ffdshow won't use it).

I doubt the 7900GT from BFG has HDCP, but it may--you will have to check with BFG for info on that. I know my friend has a 7900GT (not sure what manufacturer) and it definitely does not. HDCP is more an implementation of the card maker than the GPU it uses.

Quote:

I'm also running an AMD X2 4200+ with 2gb ram on winXP, Acer EM61SM/EM61PM motherboard, if that helps any. i don't know if the cpu or the videocard is the problem.

That CPU should be cabable of decoding 1080p h.264 I'm pretty sure, so the issue is probably not there. As a side note, a look at your CPU utilisation will tell you if the GPU is being used to accelerate the video...

Often the playback problems that you are talking about (with the hardware you have) is related to the codec(s) you have installed, not the actual hardware. You may just have a codec or codec version installed that isn't working right.
post #650 of 19149 Old 01-05-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post

Happy New Year! This thread couldn't have come at a better time for me. I've built a few PCs before, mostly gaming machines for my kids. I've been thinking about a HTPC for a while now and was just about done with the research until I visited this forum again (long time lurker).

So after reading all the posts I'm stuck with the following problems:

My TV is a 60" Sony KDF-60XBR950 rear projection LCD native resolution 720p but with superb upscaling to 1080i. It has HDCP compliant DVI input, so it's ready for HD content.I feed the HDMI components to an Atlona 4x1 switcher.

One post mentioned potential overscanning troubles with XBR sets(among others) and NVIDIA cards. Not sure if this applies to my TV, but I would think yes. I have read about methods to fix this issue but the result disables HDCP on the card.

Secondly, I'm a bit ticked about NVIDIA and lack of XP driver support for some popular cards recommended here. The already posted .tomshardware.com/2007/06/08/avivo_vs_purevideo_hd/page11.html
Money quote:

"The Nvidia representatives said the 8500/8600 drivers are not yet decoding H.264 video in Windows XP"

So good luck with those large .mvk taking up to 80% CPU usage. SHEESH! Sure they work great on a Vista machine, but the only person I'd recommend Vista to is my mother-in-law.

I've always been a big NVIDIA advocate and never used an ATI card, but in this situation would it be best to abandon the 8500, or is an updated XP driver just around the corner?
Would ATI also easily correct for overscanning?

Lastly, I intended to build a microATX system, no games, no Nero, no TV recording etc, just A/V playback. How big of a performance hit is mATX compared to standard ATX assuming quality components?

Cheers

a) Building Gamer rigs are really no different than HTPC's. The biggest difference is you don't want loud fans on your video card(s), noisy hard drives or noisy fans or PSU's in your system.

b) You need CPU horsepower until video card/IGP drivers are mature. I say as much as you can afford, I went 5000+ BE, 2.6Ghz, OC'ed to 2.91Ghz (darn Bios update limits my clock multiplier now, any higher its crashes Vista)

c) ATI cards over the years have had superior video quality I don't think that can be argued. Nvidia for awhile had the advantage in mostly stable driver sets and less conflict issues. If you look on the HD2xxx thread, you'll see decoders usually cause PQ issues. Especially the ones designed to give you HD or DXVA hardware acceleration.

No real issues with Vista either, I had reservations as well.

I have no visions of running compressed HD formats (BluRay, HD-DVD, etc), though I have enough CPU HP to do so. My goal was to watch up to 1080i stutter free (mission accomplished). Now if more content ends up on the net @1080p, there's always an HD3850 512mb...

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #651 of 19149 Old 01-05-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:

i was just hoping to add a soundcard w/spdif to this rig and turning it from my desktop to an htpc.

I had same situation. I had the evga 7900 GTKO. It has no hdcp. I think the 7900 GTX had hdcp. Just move up to the 8xxx series. If you still want GDDR3 and a fast gpu for gaming you'll have to pony up some money for a 8800 series, but if you just want HDCP go with the evga 256-P2-N741-LR. link. I have this same card with a similar x2 setup and ram as yours and pdvd plays like butter. Even if you can remove the copy protection you may still need to upgrade to the 8xxx series because of the new HD purevideo features, but not sure. If you really want to wait nvidia is starting to release the 9xxx series.

yeah I'm pretty sure now it's your vc check this out. I can attest that with pdvd and purevideo hardware deinterlacing hd content looks better than with plain smart deinterlacing setting. Not so for sd dvd though with pdvd. With sd pixel adaptive smart setting looks best.
post #652 of 19149 Old 01-05-2008, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyudo View Post

Is getting AC3 5.1 audio to my receiver from the on-board S/PDIF on my new Gigabyte P35-DS4 really this hard, or am I some sort of idiot??

In my naivete, I tried an AVI with AC3 in VLC, and it stuttered like a SOB. Poked around in various fora, and figured out how to make it stop. (Yay, me.)

But no matter what I do (using VLC, MPC, AC3 Filter, and the Realtek HD Audio control panel app thingy), I can't seem to get true 5.1-channel audio out!

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? There aren't hardware issues I'm missing, are there?

Sorry, I have no clue. Have you tried other sources with AC3 to see if it's a hw problem? I feel it's wrong filter/settings.
post #653 of 19149 Old 01-05-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookshank View Post

From my Excel worksheet: Attachment 94708

abit AW9D
abit AW9D-MAX
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
FOXCONN 975X7AB-8EKRS2H
Intel D975XBX
Intel D975XBX2
MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp Edition

abit AB9
abit AB9 Pro
abit AB9 Wi-Fi
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6
Intel DG965WH
Intel DG965OT

Intel DG33TL
Intel DP35DP
Intel DX38BT

GIGABYTE GA-N680SLI-DQ6 (rev. 1.0)

The following are mobile processor mbs.

abit iL-90MV
AOpen i945GTm-VHL
AOpen i945GMm-HL
ASUS N4L-VM DH
post #654 of 19149 Old 01-05-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

BFG NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT OC 256/512MB PCIe does not support HDCP.

http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr79256gtoce.aspx
http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr79512gtoce.aspx

Playing back mkv fies has nothing to do with HDCP. 7900 GT should be able to play them back smoothly with a proper processor and proper software configuration. Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2GHz may be too slow. Try overclock it, say, to 2.8GHz-3.0GHz. If stuttering is still there, you need to look into video filters.

As your video card does not support HDCP or hardware acceleration, you'd better buy a new card. A bunch of new cards are coming soon (January-February) from both ATI and NVIDIA. (Hardware acceleration does not work with most mkv files, you still need a fast processor.)
post #655 of 19149 Old 01-05-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:

BFG NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT OC 256/512MB PCIe does not support HDCP.

http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr79256gtoce.aspx
http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr79512gtoce.aspx

Playing back mkv fies has nothing to do with HDCP. 7900 GT should be able to play them back smoothly with a proper processor and proper software configuration. I think Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2GHz is just too slow. Try overclock it, say, to 2.8GHz-3.0GHz.

As your video card does not support HDCP or hardware acceleration, you'd better buy a new card. A bunch of new cards are coming soon from both ATI and NVIDIA. (Hardware acceleration does not work with most mkv files, you still need a fast processor.)

ok, thanks. do you think the card that yobo recommended me would be good enough? Link
combined with a phenom? Link

my current motherboard doesn't have the ability to overclock, but i'd like to go the cheaper route, either: 4200+ and a new motherboard or just buy a phenom to replace the 4200+.

my friend suggested the phenom, but i'm open to other AMD X2 options.
post #656 of 19149 Old 01-05-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yeah, 8500 GT is an excellent choice. If you prefer a fanless model, XFX GeForce 8500 GT PV-T86J-UAHG is very good.

Phenom is now only $190, it's hard to pass it over. Phenom processor (or Intel Core Quad processor) will play whatever movie you throw in smoothly with or without video card's hw acceleration. The only problem is if Acer provides a BIOS supporting Phenom. Perhaps you will end up buying a new mb.

My advice is wait for a new Socket AM2+ motherboard with AMD RS780 or NVIDIA MCP78 chipset. The onboard video (Radeon HD 2400 or GeForce 8400 equivalent) supports HDCP, hw acceleration, HDMI. The price will be less than $100. Try 4200+ (overclocked) with the new mb. If budget permits, throw in Phenom and you will have a perfect HD HTPC.
post #657 of 19149 Old 01-05-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Yeah, 8500 GT is an excellent choice. If you prefer a fanless model, XFX GeForce 8500 GT PV-T86J-UAHG is very good.

Phenom is now only $190, it's hard to pass it over. Phenom processor (or Intel Core Quad processor) will play whatever movie you throw in smoothly with or without video card's hw acceleration. The only problem is if Acer provides a BIOS supporting Phenom. Perhaps you will end up buying a new mb.

My advice is wait for a new Socket AM2+ motherboard with AMD RS780 or NVIDIA MCP78 chipset. The onboard video (Radeon HD 2400 or GeForce 8400 equivalent) supports HDCP, hw acceleration, HDMI. The price will be less than $100. Try 4200+ (overclocked) with the new mb. If budget permits, throw in Phenom and you will have a perfect HD HTPC.

ok, so with the AMD RS780, I can use my 4200+ and not have to buy a videocard, just use on-board video? If that's the case, then I'll wait for the RS780 to come out.
post #658 of 19149 Old 01-05-2008, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

ok, so with the AMD RS780, I can use my 4200+ and not have to buy a videocard, just use on-board video? If that's the case, then I'll wait for the RS780 to come out.

Yeah, you don't have to buy a video card. Onboard video will be enough for playing back HD movies. You can use your 4200+ with the new mb (Socket AM2+ is backward compatible with Socket AM2).
post #659 of 19149 Old 01-05-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:

From my Excel worksheet: Attachment 94708

Thx
post #660 of 19149 Old 01-06-2008, 01:29 PM

Phenom is now only $190, it's hard to pass it over.

Where is it $190 ?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page