Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server - Page 250 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7471 of 19153 Old 04-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Newbie
 
plum7500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which remote/receiver are you going with?
plum7500 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7472 of 19153 Old 04-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Member
 
r0nd3L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just realized just how intensive HD video playback is. None of my computers at home can play full 720P 60FPS except my dad's PC which is E8400 + 4GB RAM + Gigabyte G35 + X700 Vid.

My oudated PC which is AMD 3200+ Venice and infamous DFI LanParty nF4 only plays about half the frames from 60. My dual core Intel laptop plays about 40FPS.

Now I'm thinking of building something more powerful than Zotac setup hmmmm.
r0nd3L is offline  
post #7473 of 19153 Old 04-16-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Iteki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nd3L View Post

I just realized just how intensive HD video playback is. None of my computers at home can play full 720P 60FPS except my dad's PC which is E8400 + 4GB RAM + Gigabyte G35 + X700 Vid.

My oudated PC which is AMD 3200+ Venice and infamous DFI LanParty nF4 only plays about half the frames from 60. My dual core Intel laptop plays about 40FPS.

Now I'm thinking of building something more powerful than Zotac setup hmmmm.

All about the video card...not necessarily the CPU

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
Iteki is offline  
post #7474 of 19153 Old 04-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Member
 
blinkinek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm a little confused from all this informations but here is what I would like to achieve.

Main requirements:
- hdmi 5.1 pcm over onkyo AVR
- sd/hd playback
- maybe in future BD (I'm still considering buying PS3)

This is what I've built:
Antec Basiq 350 Watt
Silverstone SST-SG02B-F Sugo - black
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e BOX, Socket AM2
Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2, AMD 690V, mATX
Sapphire HD 4670 GDDR4
Mushkin SP2-6400 2x2GB Kit, DDR2-800
Western Digital Caviar GP 1TB

unfortunately in a shop from which I would like to buy everything there is no GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-US2H, I've chosen the other Gigabyte board but I don't know if I will have the same functionality (soundcard is older...)? If this board isn't going to work what would you recommend?

Another solution would be going for GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H and E5200 without HD 4670 but I don't know if the PQ won't be worse?

I was also thinking about mini-itx. Is it possible to build one with HD 4670 card in Apex MI-100 case? Or maybe Intel/Nvidia setup will be enough for me?
blinkinek is offline  
post #7475 of 19153 Old 04-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Franke46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried the GA-MA78GM-US2H, it didn't work with my ONKYO RECEIVER, only audio I was able to get was going directly to the TV. I had to use an optical cable from the same MB to the receiver and then I got up to DTS. So I would recommend the GA-E7AUM-DS2H, I will be trying that myself.

Franke46
Franke46 is offline  
post #7476 of 19153 Old 04-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Newbie
 
blackranger3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nd3L View Post

I just realized just how intensive HD video playback is. None of my computers at home can play full 720P 60FPS except my dad's PC which is E8400 + 4GB RAM + Gigabyte G35 + X700 Vid.

My oudated PC which is AMD 3200+ Venice and infamous DFI LanParty nF4 only plays about half the frames from 60. My dual core Intel laptop plays about 40FPS.

Now I'm thinking of building something more powerful than Zotac setup hmmmm.

What video card are you using on the AMD 3200 (is this a AMD 64 3200).

I'm playing around with

Old Parts I had laying around
Lanparty nF4
AMD 64 3500,
1 GB of Ram
300 GB HDD

New Parts
Saphire HD4650
Antec Fussion ATX Case

I figure I can play with this for a while.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with a dedicated VC this should be able to handle HD files.

If it works for my needs than great if not I'll replace the old stuff.
blackranger3d is offline  
post #7477 of 19153 Old 04-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Member
 
r0nd3L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

All about the video card...not necessarily the CPU

See that's the interesting thing, my PC has X800XL which is quite a bit better than X700 in the E8400 machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackranger3d View Post

What video card are you using on the AMD 3200 (is this a AMD 64 3200).

X800XL and yes it's AMD 3200+ which is overclocked 3.4Ghz from 3.0.

Also for comparison reasons, when I watched that specific video the AMD 3200 was at 100% CPU usage, while E8400 was only 30%.
r0nd3L is offline  
post #7478 of 19153 Old 04-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Member
 
OzTambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tijuana Border (in a box)
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi renethx.....

Can I get your 2 cents on this mobo ........ MSI KA780GM2 AMD 780G AM2+

I currently have an ECS 740 GM-M

AMD X4 9750
2x2GB Patriot RAM (4GB Total)
2 x 1TB Hitachi Hard Drives
BluRay Reader
ATI 3650 with HDMI with Audio out
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800
Vista Ultimate 64bit

I am thinking about adding this Mobo can I please get your advice do you think and am gaining anything....

I have current issues with Audio over HDMI when the TV has been off for a while and the ATI drivers do not boot up fast enough thus Media Center has to be closd and re-opened.

That is about the only reason i am changing.

I do very little ripping on this system, I have media extenders on three TV's that this drives mainly movies and music that is stored on the drives and all using MCE.

I am mainly trying to fix the audio and the video drivers by integrating the HDMI into the Mobo..

Will the ATI Radeon HD3200 with only 256MB drive a 37 LCD at 1080I the spec says it should but I have very little experience about this..
OzTambo is offline  
post #7479 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Member
 
pspeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Great guide, by the way!

I have the GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H. Some times it studder ( I use MPC-HC DXVA). Might not be the system, might be the files, might be the cpu ( Intel Core duo 2.13GHZ - is this performing enough? never over 50% It's cache is too small perhaps?). I see you recommend a discrete gpu as well on some of the systems. This might be for gaming purposes(?). Will it handle the HD VIDEOS (.mkv 1080p) better than the iGPU? Can I still use the HDMI output from the mobo. What about the 8500 GT which gives you what Nvidia calls geforce boost ( more bang for buck that way)? I'm only interested in hd performance, noe gaming. Your answer is anticipated

Cut from mid-range recommandations:

# Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H LGA775 GeForce 9400 mGPU microATX, $130. A cheaper alternative is MSI P7NGM-Digital LGA775 GeForce 9300 mGPU microATX, $110, which is of better value if you don't need an S/PDIF port and an eSATA port.
# Memory: A-DATA ADQVE1A16K DDR2-800 2 x 1GB Kit, $27.
# Graphics Card: ASUS EN9500GT TOP/DI/512M GeForce 9500 GT, $88.
pspeters is offline  
post #7480 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTambo View Post

Hi renethx.....

Can I get your 2 cents on this mobo ........ MSI KA780GM2 AMD 780G AM2+

I currently have an ECS 740 GM-M

AMD X4 9750
2x2GB Patriot RAM (4GB Total)
2 x 1TB Hitachi Hard Drives
BluRay Reader
ATI 3650 with HDMI with Audio out
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800
Vista Ultimate 64bit

I am thinking about adding this Mobo can I please get your advice do you think and am gaining anything....

I have current issues with Audio over HDMI when the TV has been off for a while and the ATI drivers do not boot up fast enough thus Media Center has to be closd and re-opened.

That is about the only reason i am changing.

I do very little ripping on this system, I have media extenders on three TV's that this drives mainly movies and music that is stored on the drives and all using MCE.

I am mainly trying to fix the audio and the video drivers by integrating the HDMI into the Mobo..

Will the ATI Radeon HD3200 with only 256MB drive a 37 LCD at 1080I the spec says it should but I have very little experience about this..

What is exactly your audio problem? Perhaps you won't see improvement. Rather using Phenom (HT 3600MHz) with a HT 2000MHz mb is a kind of problem.
renethx is offline  
post #7481 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeters View Post

Hi,

Great guide, by the way!

I have the GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H. Some times it studder ( I use MPC-HC DXVA). Might not be the system, might be the files, might be the cpu ( Intel Core duo 2.13GHZ - is this performing enough? never over 50% It's cache is too small perhaps?). I see you recommend a discrete gpu as well on some of the systems. This might be for gaming purposes(?). Will it handle the HD VIDEOS (.mkv 1080p) better than the iGPU? Can I still use the HDMI output from the mobo. What about the 8500 GT which gives you what Nvidia calls geforce boost ( more bang for buck that way)? I'm only interested in hd performance, noe gaming. Your answer is anticipated

Cut from mid-range recommandations:

# Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H LGA775 GeForce 9400 mGPU microATX, $130. A cheaper alternative is MSI P7NGM-Digital LGA775 GeForce 9300 mGPU microATX, $110, which is of better value if you don't need an S/PDIF port and an eSATA port.
# Memory: A-DATA ADQVE1A16K DDR2-800 2 x 1GB Kit, $27.
# Graphics Card: ASUS EN9500GT TOP/DI/512M GeForce 9500 GT, $88.

GPU has enough power to handle 1080p mkv. CPU usage 50% means that the problem is not CPU but something else. E6400 with 2MB L2 should be enough. Try overclocking. There are many factors that affects video playback: OS, video renderer, source/splitter filter, video/audio filter, VSFilter, video/audio formats in mkv (mkv is just a container), bad mkv file etc. GeForce Boost is gaming only, there is almost no effect on video playback. Please tell your audio requirement precisely. HDMI to what?, TV or AVR? If you use AVR, an ATI card is better.
renethx is offline  
post #7482 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkinek View Post

Hello,

I'm a little confused from all this informations but here is what I would like to achieve.

Main requirements:
- hdmi 5.1 pcm over onkyo AVR
- sd/hd playback
- maybe in future BD (I'm still considering buying PS3)

This is what I've built:
Antec Basiq 350 Watt
Silverstone SST-SG02B-F Sugo - black
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e BOX, Socket AM2
Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2, AMD 690V, mATX
Sapphire HD 4670 GDDR4
Mushkin SP2-6400 2x2GB Kit, DDR2-800
Western Digital Caviar GP 1TB

unfortunately in a shop from which I would like to buy everything there is no GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-US2H, I've chosen the other Gigabyte board but I don't know if I will have the same functionality (soundcard is older...)? If this board isn't going to work what would you recommend?

Another solution would be going for GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H and E5200 without HD 4670 but I don't know if the PQ won't be worse?

I was also thinking about mini-itx. Is it possible to build one with HD 4670 card in Apex MI-100 case? Or maybe Intel/Nvidia setup will be enough for me?

What's exactly your problem? GA-MA69VM-S2 is fine (potential problems are non-support for HyperTransport 3.0 which does not affect 5050e and weak SB). If you are using HDMI audio, why bother with onboard audio?

Are you thinking of building a second HTPC or replacing the system you built? If the answer is the latter, perhaps you will waste your money.
renethx is offline  
post #7483 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 02:13 AM
Member
 
blinkinek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

What's exactly your problem? GA-MA69VM-S2 is fine (potential problems are non-support for HyperTransport 3.0 which does not affect 5050e and weak SB).

Are you thinking of building a second HTPC or replacing the system you built? If the answer is the latter, you will waste your money.

Thank you for the reply and sorry for misleading you, with the sentence "This is what I've built" I meant "This is what I plan to build"... I haven't bought any of the hardware parts yet.

so with this setup I should have no problems if I would like to play bluray discs in the future?

or maybe it would be better to go for your AMD/NVIDIA mini ITX build, replace the CPU with X2 5050e and add Sapphire HD4670? But would it fit in Apex MI-100 case? I won't need another expansion slot...
blinkinek is offline  
post #7484 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkinek View Post

Thank you for the reply and sorry for misleading you, with the sentence "This is what I've built" I meant "This is what I plan to build"... I haven't bought any of the hardware parts yet.

so with this setup I should have no problems if I would like to play bluray discs in the future?

or maybe it would be better to go for your AMD/NVIDIA mini ITX build, replace the CPU with X2 5050e and add Sapphire HD4670? But would it fit in Apex MI-100 case? I won't need another expansion slot...

If you buy a new mb, there is no reason choose a 690V mb over 780G mb. Doesn't your shop have any other 780G mb, such as ASUS and MSI?

Graphics card is everything for video playback. Mini-ITX is OK, but a mb is pricey and you can't use a 2-slot graphics card. Unless you really want a Mini-ITX system (i.e. small form factor), I recommend a mATX system.
renethx is offline  
post #7485 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Member
 
blinkinek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

If you buy a new mb, there is no reason choose a 690V mb over 780G mb. Doesn't your shop have any other 780G mb, such as ASUS and MSI?

Graphics card is everything for video playback. Mini-ITX is OK, but a mb is pricey and you can't use a 2-slot graphics card. Unless you really want a Mini-ITX system (i.e. small form factor), I recommend a mATX system.

they have Asus M3A78-VM 780g or a little bit cheaper Asus M3N78-VM, NVIDIA GeForce 8200. Which one would be better?

Also they only have Sapphire HD 4670, PCI-E 2.0, 1024MB GDDR3 - is it worse / louder than the one you recommend?

As it comes to Mini-ITX, MB is pricey (about 100$ more) but I can save on the case + psu (about 100$ so it would be even). But I think Sapphire HD 4670 is 1-slot card? You wouldn't recommend putting it into this Apex case? I think there would be no airflow for the graphic card because there would be no room between the side of the case and the card - this isn't going to work? Maybe passive one then?
blinkinek is offline  
post #7486 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 04:05 AM
Member
 
Egomaniacal1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will an AMD FX-51(2.20GHz with 1gig ram) be enough to playback mkv files at 1080p(or at least 720p) with the Sapphire HD 4670 GDDR4?

I have an old MSI board(K8NGM2-FID) that i want to use now while i work up to a better and more expensive build.
Egomaniacal1 is offline  
post #7487 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 04:31 AM
Member
 
pspeters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

GPU has enough power to handle 1080p mkv. CPU usage 50% means that the problem is not CPU but something else. E6400 with 2MB L2 should be enough. Try overclocking. There are many factors that affects video playback: OS, video renderer, source/splitter filter, video/audio filter, VSFilter, video/audio formats in mkv (mkv is just a container), bad mkv file etc. GeForce Boost is gaming only, there is almost no effect on video playback. Please tell your audio requirement precisely. HDMI to what?, TV or AVR? If you use AVR, an ATI card is better.

Thanks for the quick reply. Why is ATI better? I use coax rca for sound today because of connectivity problems with my AVR Yamaha 663. It seems it looses the connection when I change the HDMI-input to ps3 for example. Gefen HDMI Detective Plus solves this by replicating the EDID from the AVR to the pc, but it costs as much as the mobo(whack). Does ATI not have this problem? I heard their worse Perhaps it can just "lock" the HDTV EDID and never fall out by some other means?
pspeters is offline  
post #7488 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkinek View Post

they have Asus M3A78-VM 780g or a little bit cheaper Asus M3N78-VM, NVIDIA GeForce 8200. Which one would be better?

Also they only have Sapphire HD 4670, PCI-E 2.0, 1024MB GDDR3 - is it worse / louder than the one you recommend?

As it comes to Mini-ITX, MB is pricey (about 100$ more) but I can save on the case + psu (about 100$ so it would be even). But I think Sapphire HD 4670 is 1-slot card? You wouldn't recommend putting it into this Apex case? I think there would be no airflow for the graphic card because there would be no room between the side of the case and the card - this isn't going to work? Maybe passive one then?

Either board is fine, but M3N78-VM is slightly easier to configure. The 1-slot card is louder than Sapphire GDDR4 (in particular at 3D load). But if you insist on Mini-ITX, then HD 4670 1-slot is good. If the form factor does not matter, go with mATX. (Where are you going to place the HTPC? For a normal AV rack, a mATX case fits better?)
renethx is offline  
post #7489 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egomaniacal1 View Post

Will an AMD FX-51(2.20GHz with 1gig ram) be enough to playback mkv files at 1080p(or at least 720p) with the Sapphire HD 4670 GDDR4?

Yes.
renethx is offline  
post #7490 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeters View Post

Thanks for the quick reply. Why is ATI better? I use coax rca for sound today because of connectivity problems with my AVR Yamaha 663. It seems it looses the connection when I change the HDMI-input to ps3 for example. Gefen HDMI Detective Plus solves this by replicating the EDID from the AVR to the pc, but it costs as much as the mobo(whack). Does ATI not have this problem? I heard their worse Perhaps it can just "lock" the HDTV EDID and never fall out by some other means?

Here. I am not sure of the current status of 663. If the situation has not changed with the latest CCC driver, you are out of luck.
renethx is offline  
post #7491 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Member
 
dbmix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Renethx and everyone!

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a small scale home media server, that will also act as a backup for my regular PC's and my ReplayTV's

I was lloking at your suggestions for a 15 TB system, but I will probably start more in the 6 - 8 Terabyte area and add to that as necessary.

Equipment wise I was cherry picking by need from you list:

Cooler Master Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP (9 x 5.25″ bay), $56 (from Remarks area)
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V , $75. (it's on sale)
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 5200+ ADO5200DOBOX 2.7GHz AM2, $57.
CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler, $0.
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA780G-UD3H AM2+ AMD 780G chipset ATX, $90.
Memory: A-DATA ADQVE1A16K DDR2-800 2 x 1GB Kit, $27.
Graphics: Radeon HD 3200 (integrated in the chipset), $0.
HDD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB SATA 3.0Gbps, $70.
Total Cost: $400 (storage drives are not included

don't think I need the HDD cages and extra sata controllers to get me started.

Will probably use OpenSolaris as the OS 'cause I like the ZFS file system. And I want to run some other programs on this server such as File backup software and DVArchive for the ReplayTVs

Any updates you would make hardware wise, or any further comments would be appreciated.
dbmix is offline  
post #7492 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Senior Member
 
ClemsonKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Grafton, MA
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am streaming Media Center to my 360/Plasma. Love the QAM in HD thanks to TV PACK 2008 and my Hauppauge 950Q.

QUESTION: What is the easiest and free way to stream Hulu and the networks online offerings to the 360 also?

(I did google and saw the PlayOn thing for $40, but I want real world opinions from this group; plus 'free')
ClemsonKev is offline  
post #7493 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonKev View Post

I am streaming Media Center to my 360/Plasma. Love the QAM in HD thanks to TV PACK 2008 and my Hauppauge 950Q.

QUESTION: What is the easiest and free way to stream Hulu and the networks online offerings to the 360 also?

(I did google and saw the PlayOn thing for $40, but I want real world opinions from this group; plus 'free')

I have not seen any other viable option for getting to the 360. You can try SecondRun.tv or TunerFreeMCE, but I have read that it doesn't play well with the 360 (not sure if that is still the case)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #7494 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Senior Member
 
lubmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 3 memory sticks 1GB each,
(os: xp pro, cpu: am2 x2 3800+ , mobo: ga-ma770-ud3, mem: ocz platiniun 4-4-4)
-when I put 2 of them I have 2GB dual channel,
-when I put 3 of them I have 3GB single channel
Which config is better? more channels or more memory?
lubmar is offline  
post #7495 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Member
 
OzTambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tijuana Border (in a box)
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

What is exactly your audio problem? Perhaps you won't see improvement. Rather using Phenom (HT 3600MHz) with a HT 2000MHz mb is a kind of problem.

The audio I have issues with is my 3650 outputting via HDMI, everything runs great until I shut the TV down. When I bring the TV up again I intermittently loose sound.

I can get around this using audio out into the RCA in on the TV.

The other issue with sound is that when I have VMC boot I have it in the start up programs and the ATI sound drivers does not load fast enough thus VCE has no sound. I have added a delay in the services but still no love.

I was looking at the MSI Mbo as it had 5 sec boot up specs with HDMI according to the reviews..
OzTambo is offline  
post #7496 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubmar View Post

I have 3 memory sticks 1GB each,
(os: xp pro, cpu: am2 x2 3800+ , mobo: ga-ma770-ud3, mem: ocz platiniun 4-4-4)
-when I put 2 of them I have 2GB dual channel,
-when I put 3 of them I have 3GB single channel
Which config is better? more channels or more memory?

A question is: better for what? In general HTPC usage, dual channel is critical only for IGP, but this is not your case. That being said, I recommend 2GB dual channel (as perhaps you rarely use 3GB, in particular under XP).
renethx is offline  
post #7497 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,035
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTambo View Post

The audio I have issues with is my 3650 outputting via HDMI, everything runs great until I shut the TV down. When I bring the TV up again I intermittently loose sound.

I can get around this using audio out into the RCA in on the TV.

The other issue with sound is that when I have VMC boot I have it in the start up programs and the ATI sound drivers does not load fast enough thus VCE has no sound. I have added a delay in the services but still no love.

I was looking at the MSI Mbo as it had 5 sec boot up specs with HDMI according to the reviews..

So HDMI audio is connected to TV speakers and goes nowhere else, right? Then is there any advantage of using HDMI audio? For me changing HD 3650 to HD 3200 is a downgrade of PQ.
renethx is offline  
post #7498 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Member
 
hybridcj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubmar View Post

I have 3 memory sticks 1GB each,
(os: xp pro, cpu: am2 x2 3800+ , mobo: ga-ma770-ud3, mem: ocz platiniun 4-4-4)
-when I put 2 of them I have 2GB dual channel,
-when I put 3 of them I have 3GB single channel
Which config is better? more channels or more memory?

just a follow up to renethx... it may be easier to overclock if you only run dual channel (some motherboards get funky with the added stick of memory and clock it down). just something to consider.

do you only have 3 slots or do you only have 3 sticks? if you have an extra slot, you could always add a stick to make it run in dual channel with 4gb (although completely useless in xp and marginally useless in 32 bit vista).
hybridcj is offline  
post #7499 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
pcmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Lake Worth, FL
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You sure all your hardware is supported under Solaris? Last time I looked into building a Solaris fileserver it was a nightmare hardware wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmix View Post

Hey Renethx and everyone!

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a small scale home media server, that will also act as a backup for my regular PC's and my ReplayTV's

I was lloking at your suggestions for a 15 TB system, but I will probably start more in the 6 - 8 Terabyte area and add to that as necessary.

Equipment wise I was cherry picking by need from you list:

Cooler Master Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP (9 x 5.25″ bay), $56 (from Remarks area)
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V , $75. (it's on sale)
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 5200+ ADO5200DOBOX 2.7GHz AM2, $57.
CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler, $0.
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA780G-UD3H AM2+ AMD 780G chipset ATX, $90.
Memory: A-DATA ADQVE1A16K DDR2-800 2 x 1GB Kit, $27.
Graphics: Radeon HD 3200 (integrated in the chipset), $0.
HDD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB SATA 3.0Gbps, $70.
Total Cost: $400 (storage drives are not included

don't think I need the HDD cages and extra sata controllers to get me started.

Will probably use OpenSolaris as the OS 'cause I like the ZFS file system. And I want to run some other programs on this server such as File backup software and DVArchive for the ReplayTVs

Any updates you would make hardware wise, or any further comments would be appreciated.

pcmike is offline  
post #7500 of 19153 Old 04-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Member
 
jszei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My HTPC will be in the basement connected to my AVR via HDMI.
I want to be able to use a keyboard and mouse to control it. The viewing area is about 50 ft. away and on the first floor, so it's separated from the PC by a floor.

What keyboard/mouse options do I have given the PC will be a floor below and 50ft. away?

I also have the Harmony 890 which I will be using with R/F to control everything possible: display, AVR, blu-ray, etc. I would like it to control the PC as well if possible. My understanding is I will need an IR device connected to the PC which needs to connect to the Harmony RF wireless extender. Has anyone done this?
jszei is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off