Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server - Page 319 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #9541 of 19514 Old 08-12-2009, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There are about half a dozen micro ATX boards that will do 7.1 audio over HDMI. Just look for anything with the AMD 785G (ATI 4200) chipset.

If 5.1 is good enough, you can also look for boards that use the Nvidia 9300 or 9400 integrated GPU. There's lots of them in the micro ATX form factor, and even one in mini-ITX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 05:05 AM

Liked: 10
I'm also a little bit confused about sound.
More specific about this part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

The most important criteria for choosing a video card for HTPC are:
  • Hardware assist for decoding HD contents (of all three formats MPEG-2, H.264, and VC-1)
  • HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) support
  • Picture quality
Unfortunately HDMI audio has not been realized yet in the PC world and we are still confined to S/PDIF. As a matter of facts, every HDMI video card simply passes S/PDIF signals from a sound card or onboard audio codec over the HDMI connector. Thus there is no real advantage of the current HDMI solution over the existing DVI + S/PDIF solution. Recent IGPs (ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 for Intel and AMD 690G) are no exception. Right now the only way to take the full-rate lossless multichannel sounds from the PC is use analog outputs.

I have bought a Pioneer 919 and a 5.1 speaker system.
If I have a blu-ray with TrueHD which is supported by my receiver, and I connect my GPU with a HDMI cable to the AV receiver, will the sound be Dolby True HD or not?

My GPU would be an ATI 4890.
Motherboard: not sure yet, but I guess the GigaByte GA-MA790XT-UD4P

If not, how do I connect cables to supply correct video and sound to my AV receiver? Can I use HDMI only for video (?) and then analog cables for sound. Will it then work?
post #9543 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilM View Post

I'm also a little bit confused about sound.
More specific about this part:

I have bought a Pioneer 919 and a 5.1 speaker system.
If I have a blu-ray with TrueHD which is supported by my receiver, and I connect my GPU with a HDMI cable to the AV receiver, will the sound be Dolby True HD or not?

My GPU would be an ATI 4890.
Motherboard: not sure yet, but I guess the GigaByte GA-MA790XT-UD4P

If not, how do I connect cables to supply correct video and sound to my AV receiver? Can I use HDMI only for video (?) and then analog cables for sound. Will it then work?

The information on page 1 is outdated.

HD 4xxx HDMI supports multichannel LPCM and DD/DTS bitstreaming, but does not support Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreaming.

If you want Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreaming, ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 is the only solution. (Connect a DVI or HDMI port from a graphics card to Xonar; video signals from the graphics card will be multiplexed with audio signals inside Xonar, then Xonar outputs HDMI video/audio signals.)

post #9544 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 AM

so, i finally pulled the triggered and bought a 4670, 1 gig, HIS video card.

Once i get it, i will installed and take pictures of my setup.

What software are you using, in terms of decoding video and audio?
post #9545 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

I am trying to decide between the AVerMedia HDDuet and the Hauppauge 2250. The 2250 is twice as much as the HD Duet and all though I have no problem spending the extra I dont wanna waste my money if the tuner is no better in the 2250.
I know that the hauppauge has a FM tuner and has more analog tuners, but I dont care about the FM tuner and don't have any use for the analog tuners since all my local channels are in HD and there are no OTA cable providers where I live currently.
I also know that the hauppauge comes with slightly better software but I plan to manage the tuners using Windows 7 MC so don't think the software makes much of a difference to me.
Are there any other benefits to the 2250 or is it just a much better tuner and worth the extra price you pay. If it is a better tuner then I will pay the premium because I want good clear channels and the extra stuff it provides, although not necessary, are still a slight benefit in case I do want to listen to the radio on my computer or ever move to a place that has analog channels.
Thanks

PSN: okfireman
XBL: okfireman38
post #9546 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you have no interest in analog tuning, I highly recommend you look into the HDHomerun by Silicondust. It provides so much flexibility as far as allowing all computers on your network to use its two tuners and is compatible with most software applications and OS platforms. Plus those guys are always updating its firmware to make it better.
post #9547 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

There are about half a dozen micro ATX boards that will do 7.1 audio over HDMI. Just look for anything with the AMD 785G (ATI 4200) chipset.

If 5.1 is good enough, you can also look for boards that use the Nvidia 9300 or 9400 integrated GPU. There's lots of them in the micro ATX form factor, and even one in mini-ITX.

The 785G does NOT output 7.1 via HDMI, that news was incorrect.
post #9548 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

Actually you've got it backwards: the Nvidia 9300 and 9400 do 7.1 LPCM and the 785G boards don't.

EDIT: Looks like H8nXTC beat me to it.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #9549 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanga View Post

If you have no interest in analog tuning, I highly recommend you look into the HDHomerun by Silicondust. It provides so much flexibility as far as allowing all computers on your network to use its two tuners and is compatible with most software applications and OS platforms. Plus those guys are always updating its firmware to make it better.

Well I dont have much interest in being able to network that stuff to my other computers which is why I decided against it. So unless the digital tuners are much better then I do see the point for my application.

PSN: okfireman
XBL: okfireman38
post #9550 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:

If you want Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreaming, ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 is the only solution.

Ok thx.
I will wait with this

Then this is my final configuration:

Quote:

• Case: ANTEC Fusion Remote Max - (199 euro)
  • Motherboard: GigaByte GA-MA790XT-UD4P - (115 euro)
  • CPU: AMD Phenom II Quad 955BE 3.2Ghz 8MB socket AM3 - (175 euro)
  • RAM: 2 * Corsair 2Gb DDR3 1333Mhz PC3-10666 CL9 (2 * 33 euro = 66 euro)
  • HD: Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1 Terabyte 32mb 7200rpm SATAII (75 euro)
  • GPU: Sapphire ATI HD4890 Vapor X 2Gb DDR5 PCI-express (219 euro)
  • PSU: Corsair HX520 520W (86 euro)
  • TV Card: HAUPPAUGE WINTV-HVR-2200 MC PCI-Express, Dubbele TV-Tuner, Retail (125 euro)
  • Keyboard: LOGITECH diNovo Edge™ Azerty 967685-0123 (159 euro)

Anybody has some remarks on it?
I was looking for components with good price/quality

Main purpose: streaming HD content
But I will also use it for gaming on a Panasonic TX-P46G10

EDIT: maybe an explanation about the GPU. They told me that the Vapor model was quiet and cold. Because of relative small price difference with the 1GB version (at leats in my shops), I decided to go for the 2GB version.
post #9551 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 01:52 PM

Just finished my first build and I am having a trouble getting it to boot to the first screen. So far when I turn on the computer everything starts to run except for the CPU fan which just twitches every couple seconds but never starts spinning (I have a Gigabyte board and I heard that this is normal). I then turn off the computer after 15 seconds or so because I don't want the CPU to overheat. It seems the the graphics card (which is onboard, I have the GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H). I have the computer plugged into an old Dell monitor through VGA. Do you guys have any idea why this would be?
post #9552 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 01:58 PM

Btw, this is my first HTPC build and I'm a newbie...I have completed my HTPC with the items below and have connected it to my Sony KP-57HW40 Via HD Component Cables. Initially, I had a picture and was able to configure Windows Media for the TV, watch a movie with the projector, and load Media files (via USB) from a Storage Unit. Later I tried to utilize it again and it refuses to provide a picture, I can hear the Media Center loading through the speakers and the VFD shows the DVD's Information but no picture. I've checked all cables (three times now), tried different combinations of turning on the devices and I believe it's a problem with the EDID readings. I've tried connecting a LCD Computer monitor to the configuration and it works, however if I disconnect the monitor and reboot I get the same thing again. I'd appreciate any assistance that you could provide, until I get my Hurricane Settlement resolved (from last year) I am not in a position to purchase a new set and I'd like to make this one work!!!

Configuration:

AMD Phenom II X4 920
CPU Cooler: Zalman 9500
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb SATA HD
Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
ASUS M3N78-EM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8300 HDMI Micro ATX
SAPPHIRE 100225L RADEON HD 3870 512MB GDDR3 PCI EXPRESS
LG GGC-H20L Super Multi Blue Blu-ray Disc & HD DVD-ROM Drive
AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCIe
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition
PSU: FSP Group, FX700
Broadway Com Corp Black Aluminum / Thick Steel HTPC-HT1100 ATX Media Center (VFD and Remote included) IMon (SoundGraph)
Sony KP-57HW40 Television (Via HD Component Cables)
InFocus LP530 Projector (Via XVga)
post #9553 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 02:48 PM

Guys,

I have been reading all of the posts here and my head is spinning. There are so many options.

I need to build a pc that, in addition to home office applications and gaming, can connect to my Pioneer Elite 61" plasma via hdmi so I can view video off the internet like HULU and general web browsing.

I now use my PS3 for HD DVDs so do not need a BD player. I have also been using my PS3 for internet video and browsing but it does not do a very good job of either.

This system will reside in my office so a great looking small case is not necessary. I am looking in the $500-$600 dollar range.

If I could get a recommendation of which of the systems listed in this forum to start with and any other suggestion I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks!!
post #9554 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA Golfer View Post

Guys,

I now use my PS3 for HD DVDs so do not need a BD player. I have also been using my PS3 for internet video and browsing but it does not do a very good job of either.

Wasn't aware PS3 could play HD-DVD's, thought that was only the Xbox 360. How and when did they do this?
post #9555 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

I'm trying to figure out if I should go for a Dual core Intel like the 2.8ghz E6300 or if I should go with the Quad core AMD 2.0ghz 9350e. The price isn't too big of a difference. For things such as Hulu and other internet streaming, along with other HTPC use which would be better?

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
post #9556 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mathis View Post

I'm trying to figure out if I should go for a Dual core Intel like the 2.8ghz E6300 or if I should go with the Quad core AMD 2.0ghz 9350e. The price isn't too big of a difference. For things such as Hulu and other internet streaming, along with other HTPC use which would be better?

If you do video re-encoding, a quad-core is better (this chart). Otherwise either one is OK.
post #9557 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you do video re-encoding, a quad-core is better (this chart). Otherwise either one is OK.

Thank you!

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
post #9558 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Nm
post #9559 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 PM
DQL

I've been studying the charts on page 85 and reading a bit in the forum and am trying to determine the IGP I should use. I'd like to build an HTPC that can meet the following requirements
- Single cable video and audio over HDMI to my AVR (Yamaha RX-V3900) and from there to my Samsung LCD
- It will be used primarily for displaying a library of DVDs I have, but will also display Blueray and OTA video.
- Minimum power (so I'd like to do it with an IGP)

I would buy the AMD/nVidia solution, but I see it is not listed as providing the best SD playback. The AMD/AMD solutions seem to require a video card, and the most recent AMD IGPs (785, 790) supply only stereo sound.

Can someone explain (or point to a post that explains) the rationale behind the lower SD playback rating for the nVidia 9300? Perhaps I can rely on the Yamaha to do the upscaling? I don't have all the equipment yet, so can't actually test that.

Other requirements/wishes
- DVR capability (room for a tuner card PCIe-1x)
- 4 Tb harddrive space in a RAID5 configuration with room to grow (at least 6 SATA) to store the SD movies
- Support for a PCIe-1x CasaTunes audio system card
- Room for a PCIe-16 graphics card in case I upgrade
- Room for the PCI Xonar card in case I upgrade

Thanks for the excellent information, and the time it must take to present it and keep it up to date.
post #9560 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQL View Post

Can someone explain (or point to a post that explains) the rationale behind the lower SD playback rating for the nVidia 9300?

I believe they get a lower rating because most/all IGP solutions aren't very good at post processing the video. HD usually doesn't require a lot of post processing because it is already provided in a high resolution format whereas SD video will have various artifacts due to compression, etc. that post processing can help eliminate.

The 785G may provide better post processing because it is based on the 4200. But it is still, compared to a discrete card, underpowered. If you mostly watch HD content, or don't care about the SD artifacts, then an IGP like the 9300/9400 will be more than enough.
post #9561 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33l View Post

Just finished my first build and I am having a trouble getting it to boot to the first screen. So far when I turn on the computer everything starts to run except for the CPU fan which just twitches every couple seconds but never starts spinning (I have a Gigabyte board and I heard that this is normal). I then turn off the computer after 15 seconds or so because I don't want the CPU to overheat. It seems the the graphics card (which is onboard, I have the GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H). I have the computer plugged into an old Dell monitor through VGA. Do you guys have any idea why this would be?

I was looking at the motherboard again and noticed that in the power block below the CPU has 8 holes but the power suppley only gives a cord for 4 pins. Do you guys think I may need a 4 to 8 pin adapter? At this point I am really clueless as to how I can get this build to start.
post #9562 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 10:03 PM

I have just finish building a premium HTPC using 6 gb memory. Then I read that in order to use all 6gb, I need to use a 64 bit operating system. Is that true?
post #9563 of 19514 Old 08-13-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:

I was looking at the motherboard again and noticed that in the power block below the CPU has 8 holes but the power suppley only gives a cord for 4 pins. Do you guys think I may need a 4 to 8 pin adapter? At this point I am really clueless as to how I can get this build to start.

check your pm.
post #9564 of 19514 Old 08-14-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:

Where would you position an Athlon II X2 250 in the above chart?

If it works, don't fix it!
post #9565 of 19514 Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC View Post

Wasn't aware PS3 could play HD-DVD's, thought that was only the Xbox 360. How and when did they do this?

Sorry, I meant BluRay. It does a good job playing BluRay DVD's.

It does not do a good job with web streaming video. Limited memory causes the system to lock up regularly.
post #9566 of 19514 Old 08-14-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotelmania View Post

I have just finish building a premium HTPC using 6 gb memory. Then I read that in order to use all 6gb, I need to use a 64 bit operating system. Is that true?

yes
post #9567 of 19514 Old 08-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 19
FWIW, I finished my new build on an Athlon II X2 250 with a 790 board. Quick, fast, silent, low wattage. Haven't put it through diagnostics yet, but so far, me likey.
post #9568 of 19514 Old 08-14-2009, 12:58 PM

Hi All -
Boy, this build is giving me trouble! I was the one who could never get the ASUS P5AD2-E Premium motherboard to work with the Sapphire Radeon 4670 under either version of Win 7 (code 12 errors, despite disabling everything possible on the mobo.)

I bit the bullet and upgraded to a Ggiabit EP45-UD3P motherboard. Now the system is a little unstable with blue screens in Win 7. I can run Prime95 torture tests for a couple minutes, then they fail. The torture tests fail much faster when I target heavy RAM use compared to heavy CPU use.

I'm running a P4 3.2 GHz processor and DDR2 533 memory that's several years old... I'd like to try upgrading the RAM, but I'd still like to hold off buying a CPU for a while longer.

Is it possible to run something like the A-DATA ADQVE1A16K DDR2-800 2 x 1GB Kit, $30 with a 533 MHz FSB?

Check out my Cozy Room within a Room Theater Build... in progress and closing in on completion.
post #9569 of 19514 Old 08-14-2009, 01:40 PM

Before you buy anything else try bumping the voltage up a bit. How is your PSU? Is it a good one?

The problems you are having reminds me of the computer that I built in college. I finally figured out that bumping up the voltage a bit would cause the problems to go away.
post #9570 of 19514 Old 08-14-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Moth...A-MA785GM-US2H

1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector< ---main board power
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector<-----CPU power

A 4 Pin to 8 Pin Computer Adapter Converter Power Cable may work but what kind of power supply do you have? How many watts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page