post #13381 of 19343 Old 04-08-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanchope View Post

Finally got all the parts in today and got to start the build. Everything is in and hooked up.

When I hit the power switch, all the fans start running, but I don't hear any beeps and I don't see anything on the monitor (there is no signal detected). Its been a while, but aren't there supposed to be a few beeps to let me know that things are happy? There is a green LED light on the MB that is lit up. Something isn't right here and I'm not sure where or how to start trouble shooting since I can't even get to a bios screen or anything.... help?

Make sure you hooked up the power, reset, and LED connectors to the right spots. Check to make sure your RAM is properly seated and also is in the correct slots (some motherboards require RAM to be in certain banks, depending on how many slots are filled). Remove anything that isn't required for the PC to run (hard drive, CD/DVD/BD drive, additional video cards, etc) and see if you can get the motherboard to POST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13382 of 19343 Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Liked: 10
I'm giving it a try and will post results. The MB was an open box deal, so I am suspect. But another question. I was checking the LED, Power and Reset connections (for the 8th time) and I noticed that the case doesn't seem to have any connections for the speaker (which is on the same bank of connections as the above stuff) Does the Antec Black Aluminum / Steel Fusion Remote Black Micro ATX Media Center not connect to the MB speaker thing? I'm guessing this is normal, I just don't see how I would hear any beep errors without it?
post #13383 of 19343 Old 04-08-2010, 11:17 PM

Will a Denon AVR-2807 work with the mid-range microATX configuration recommendation? What formats, if any will it not support? Sorry, I'm not an audio techie.
post #13384 of 19343 Old 04-08-2010, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivestarplus View Post

Will a Denon AVR-2807 work with the mid-range microATX configuration recommendation? What formats, if any will it not support? Sorry, I'm not an audio techie.

You may need EDID override.
post #13385 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 AM

I just built a HTPC using the guide for March, but I can't seem to get the audio settings right. I'm hoping that its just a dumb mistake on my part. My setup is a Gigabyte H55M-UD2H, with an Intel Corei3 530 and the onboard graphics enabled.

When I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64, I went to the Intel website and installed the latest drivers. The video works great via HDMI, but the audio doesn't seem to work correctly. I get sound, but only two channel. Also, bitstreaming in TMT3 Platinum is not working, so I think the problems are related.

I go into Sounds on the Control Panel, and my default audio device is something called Intel Display Audio. Whats odd is that it won't let me select surround for my speaker setup, it only lists stereo (I have the PC hooked up to my Sony STRDG920 receiver) as an option. Also, under supported formats,it says max channels are 2 and encoded formats only lists Dolby Digital.

I guess my question is whether this is normal or not? Or if its not, what I can do to enable surround sound via the Sounds screen and to enable bitstreaming in TMT3. I have installed the latest Intel Display Driver, and I installed the Intel MEI tool.
post #13386 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown4121 View Post

I just built a HTPC using the guide for March, but I can't seem to get the audio settings right. I'm hoping that its just a dumb mistake on my part. My setup is a Gigabyte H55M-UD2H, with an Intel Corei3 530 and the onboard graphics enabled.

When I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64, I went to the Intel website and installed the latest drivers. The video works great via HDMI, but the audio doesn't seem to work correctly. I get sound, but only two channel. Also, bitstreaming in TMT3 Platinum is not working, so I think the problems are related.

I go into Sounds on the Control Panel, and my default audio device is something called Intel Display Audio. Whats odd is that it won't let me select surround for my speaker setup, it only lists stereo (I have the PC hooked up to my Sony STRDG920 receiver) as an option. Also, under supported formats,it says max channels are 2 and encoded formats only lists Dolby Digital.

I guess my question is whether this is normal or not? Or if its not, what I can do to enable surround sound via the Sounds screen and to enable bitstreaming in TMT3. I have installed the latest Intel Display Driver, and I installed the Intel MEI tool.

Apparently something is wrong. Uninstall the current drivers. Download the latest drivers and install them. You need the following three for GPU/chipset to work properly.

- Video: Intel® HD Graphics Driver 15.​​17.​​3.​​2104 (GFX_Vista_Win7_64_15.17.3.64.2104_PV_Intel.exe)
- Intel® ME: Management Engine Driver for Intel 5 Series Chipset-​​Based Desktop Boards 6.​​0.​​40.​​1215 (MEI_ALLOS_6.0.40.1215_PV.exe)
- Chipset: Intel® Chipset Device Software for Intel® Desktop Boards 9.​1.​1.​1025 ( INF_allOS_9.1.1.1025_PV.exe)

As the sound playback device in Sound control panel, you should see ": Intel Display Audio".

Try to update BIOS (use the GIGABYTE utility @BIOS).
post #13387 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 02:13 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I update by BIOS to F8, and the default device is SONY AVAMP, Intel Display Audio. I downloaded all three things you suggested and installed and restarted, and yet I still have the same problem. What's funny is that in Media Center, I can set my speaker settings to 5.1, so its obvious that the connection is working... it just won't work in the OS.

This is what I'm seeing.

Video Driver is version 8.15.10.2104

Intel Display Audio Driver is version 6.12.0.3047

Any ideas?
post #13388 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I'm giving it a try and will post results. The MB was an open box deal, so I am suspect. But another question. I was checking the LED, Power and Reset connections (for the 8th time) and I noticed that the case doesn't seem to have any connections for the speaker (which is on the same bank of connections as the above stuff) Does the Antec Black Aluminum / Steel Fusion Remote Black Micro ATX Media Center not connect to the MB speaker thing? I'm guessing this is normal, I just don't see how I would hear any beep errors without it?

My first build exhibited symptoms similar to what you've reported. My MoBo doesn't have a beep speaker, nor does my case, so power on beeps were not useful. I eventually bought a $2 speaker and plugged it in to the appropriate spot on the mobo in case I ever needed it for diagnostics.

Anyway, my problem was that I had the big power connector (20 or 24 pin) plugged in "up front" of the board, but the mobo also required that I plug in a 2x4 pin power connector over near the CPU. In my ignorance I didn't realize both were required. I eventually figured it out and all was well.

Good luck; let us know what happens.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #13389 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown4121 View Post

Thanks for the quick reply. I update by BIOS to F8, and the default device is SONY AVAMP, Intel Display Audio. I downloaded all three things you suggested and installed and restarted, and yet I still have the same problem.

A possible cause is an EDID issue. What's EDID. But then I have no idea how to fix it...
post #13390 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 07:26 AM
QBA

renethx, Sorry that I keep changing the parts but this is an evolutionary process

I think I will pull all the stops and I will go for a case that can handle a lot of hdd, so in the future I just put more and more hard drives as I need them.

So I'm going with this case:

http://www.norcotek.com/item_detail....delno=RPC-4220

The question is, Can I keep adding new sata cards "Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8" to the motherboard you suggested "MSI H55-GD65 ATX LGA1156", to be able to accommodate for the 20 hdd that can be installed on the Norco case, or should I consider a different motherboard?

Thanks again

Alex
post #13391 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBA View Post

renethx, Sorry that I keep changing the parts but this is an evolutionary process

I think I will pull all the stops and I will go for a case that can handle a lot of hdd, so in the future I just put more and more hard drives as I need them.

So I'm going with this case:

http://www.norcotek.com/item_detail....delno=RPC-4220

The question is, Can I keep adding new sata cards "Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8" to the motherboard you suggested "MSI H55-GD65 ATX LGA1156", to be able to accommodate for the 20 hdd that can be installed on the Norco case, or should I consider a different motherboard?

Thanks again

Alex

You can add

- 2 x AOC-SASLP-MV8 (then you can't use the two PCIe x1 slots and you can't add a discrete graphics card later.)
- 1 x AOC-SAT2-MV8 + 1 x AOC-SASLP-MV8 (then either you can't use the two PCIe x1 slots or you can't add a discrete graphics card later.)
- 2 x AOC-SAT2-MV8 (as they are PCI cards, there is no restriction on PCI Express slots.)

These restrictions stem from the fact that Clarkdale/H55 does not have enough PCI Express lanes (that's one reason why I mentioned an AMD mb in the previous post, which has plenty of PCI Express 2.0 lanes so that you can use two AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards, a discrete graphics card (at x8) and a PCIe x1 device simultaneously). You don't have to add two cards at the same time; add one only when you want more storage space. To use a AOC-SAT2-MV8 card in RPC-4220, you will need two SFF-8087 to four SATA "reverse" breakout cables.

You should expect a certain amount of noise from a 20 HDD system.
post #13392 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 08:50 AM
QBA

Thanks renethx,

Since I will be running an HDMI straight from the motherboard into the TVs, I won't need to worry about adding additional video cards later.

So I guess that base on your reply I could add enough sata cards in that mother board to end up with the 20 hdd right?

What about for a CD room (to install operating system), and the windows hard drive?

Can I install those via IDE and should be ok right? Or the operating system hdd should go via sata as well for faster performance?
post #13393 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBA View Post

So I guess that base on your reply I could add enough sata cards in that mother board to end up with the 20 hdd right?

What about for a CD room (to install operating system), and the windows hard drive?

Can I install those via IDE and should be ok right? Or the operating system hdd should go via sata as well for faster performance?

If you don't use PCI Express devices other than AOC-SASLP-MV8, yes you can add up to 23 SATA drives and 2 PATA drives. RPC-4220 supports:

- 1 x slim 5.25" optical drive
- 2 x 2.5" HDD (for OS); use an SSD or a 2.5" 7200 rpm HDD for notebook.
- 20 x HDD (for data)
post #13394 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Folks,
I have a quick question....

What is the cheapest way to get a IR reciever for a Intel DG45FC Mobo with those CIR inputs?

A few months back using this excellent guide [thanks a million!] I built a HTPC [it is only a small Mymovies client]. I have the Microsoft MCE remote.

-Rajiv
post #13395 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude View Post

Hi Folks,
I have a quick question....

What is the cheapest way to get a IR reciever for a Intel DG45FC Mobo with those CIR inputs?

A few months back using this excellent guide [thanks a million!] I built a HTPC [it is only a small Mymovies client]. I have the Microsoft MCE remote.

I'm not sure what a CIR input is, but I have this thing and it works great:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-IR-Wireless-M...item1e5af08466

It came with my wife's laptop. It works flawlessly in Win7.
post #13396 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I have the same thing [it is from microsoft] But that one is in use with another HTPC.

Also I am looking for a smaller form factor....maybe internal. I am looking at

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...r#post16611741

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpitt42 View Post

I'm not sure what a CIR input is, but I have this thing and it works great:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-IR-Wireless-M...item1e5af08466

It came with my wife's laptop. It works flawlessly in Win7.

-Rajiv
post #13397 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

I think the CIR input is not well implemented ive read somewhere. Not sure if anyone is actually using those.
post #13398 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I use it on one of my [many] HTPCs.....works fine.

But...it never wakes up the PC using IR. However others have reported that "wakeup on IR" works fine for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqian View Post

I think the CIR input is not well implemented ive read somewhere. Not sure if anyone is actually using those.

-Rajiv
post #13399 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Try the AMD catalyst forum:

http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=279

That might be the most specific place to find someone who can help.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

Marc

So After a lot of searching and no good info I decided to do a clean install of windows , only to find out that I still have problems, actually the damn card doesn't work at all, when I install it the system won't recognize it and I have a lot of trouble getting the system to work with the mobo HDMI output

so the card is going back for refund

Question:
Could it be a power supply problem?
I got 3 2Tb Hd's hooked up to the mobo so maybe I'm being under powered by the 450watt psu
thought I asked before ordering another video card

just so you know I got the AMD/AMD Micro ATX system recomended by renethx

Saphire Radeon HD5670 512mb card (not working)
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H mobo
4gigs Ram
Athlon II X4 630 cpu
450watt psu
3 2TB Hd's

TIA
post #13400 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

My first build exhibited symptoms similar to what you've reported. My MoBo doesn't have a beep speaker, nor does my case, so power on beeps were not useful. I eventually bought a $2 speaker and plugged it in to the appropriate spot on the mobo in case I ever needed it for diagnostics.

Anyway, my problem was that I had the big power connector (20 or 24 pin) plugged in "up front" of the board, but the mobo also required that I plug in a 2x4 pin power connector over near the CPU. In my ignorance I didn't realize both were required. I eventually figured it out and all was well.

Good luck; let us know what happens.

Marc

So I did in fact forget to connect those plugs. I went and plugged them all in and turned things on. It was different then before and seemed to be happy. So put everything back in, connected everything and hit the power button. Fans spun up, then slowed down a bit. Then the whole thing just turned itself off. I thought I even smelled something maybe coming from the power supply? I pulled the plug and checked everything and didn't see any issues or potential problems. But now I can't even get the power to come on. I unplugged everything and took most things out, but the power won't even turn on no matter what I do. Its like the switch no longer works....

Something is seriously wrong here and now I am just trying to figure out what all I need to RMA. The power supply? The MB? The CPU? I'm gonna try to test some of the other stuff in my other computer to see what actually works...

Ugh!
post #13401 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FguerraG View Post

So After a lot of searching and no good info I decided to do a clean install of windows , only to find out that I still have problems, actually the damn card doesn't work at all, when I install it the system won't recognize it and I have a lot of trouble getting the system to work with the mobo HDMI output

so the card is going back for refund

Question:
Could it be a power supply problem?
I got 3 2Tb Hd's hooked up to the mobo so maybe I'm being under powered by the 450watt psu
thought I asked before ordering another video card

just so you know I got the AMD/AMD Micro ATX system recomended by renethx

Saphire Radeon HD5670 512mb card (not working)
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H mobo
4gigs Ram
Athlon II X4 630 cpu
450watt psu
3 2TB Hd's

TIA

Unless the PSU is underperforming, you should be fine with room to spare. Is the MoBo onboard GPU disabled in the BIOS? If not, that might be your problem.

post #13402 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 07:52 PM

Hey guys! great thread here! A TON of info...

Sorry if this question has been answered before. I'm having a Ridiculous Time trying to figure out what heck is oigng on with my HTPC.

Components:

1.) Motherboard = Asus M4A785TD-V EVO (Socket AM3 only)
2.) CPU = AMD PhenomII x4 C3 revision 965 (3.4ghz)
3.) Ram = 4Gb (2x2gb) Kingston Hyper X 1600Mhz Cas8 1.65v
4.) Hard Drive = Supertalent SDD 16Gb
5.) Optical Drive = LG Super Blu-ray (BD = x10, DVD = x16)
6.) Graphics Card = Onbaord ATI 4200 w/ 1333mhz (128mb/ 32bit) Sideport memory
7.) PSU = BFG 650w Dual 20a 12v rails

Connected to:
1.) PC Monitor (Via D-Sub) ACER 23" 1080p HD Montior (H233H)
2.) HDTV = Samsung 52" LCD 120hz Processing (LN52A650)

I can play Blu-Ray Discs through Power DVD 8 and 10 as well as playing my library of Stored Blu-ray MKV Files through Power DVD 10 or WMP with the CCCP Codec pack.

The issue:
I get Stuttering on both screens every 3-5 seconds. Doesn't matter if it's only 1 display connected or both. Stuttering = Freeze then unfreeze, freeze then unfreeze, all within a fraction of a second!

I've tried 2 different CPU's (C3 955 and C3 965), Two sets of ram, Two Different SSD's, Two Different Blu-Ray Drives, multiple HDMI cables at different lengths, different PSU's and all of the ports on the HDTV. And 4, yes, 4 different AMD 785G NB chipset Motherboards. 2 Were the same model.

Models:
1.) Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
2.) Foxconn CinemaII Deluxe
3.) MSI 785GM-E65 (x2)

My Pioneer BDP-320 plays BR disks perfectly, smooth as hot butter! Is there any reason why my 320 would be better at playing back plu-ray than my HTPC?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

NOTES:

I thought that the system palyed fine on my ACER monitor that is a standard 60Hz 1080p HD Monitor UNTIL I connected the System to my Samsung HDTV that has the 120Hz Processing. That made it pop out at me! I then reconnected the 60Hz Monitor and sure enough, it was doing it as well! It' REALLY masked by the 60Hz Motion Blur, but it's there. I have top kind of squint my eye a tad to see it but it's there. When telling you about the 60hz Monitor having this issue, but can visibly see it better when squinting is to prove that it's Not just the HDTV with 120hz Processing that's doing!

TIA
post #13403 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So I did in fact forget to connect those plugs. I went and plugged them all in and turned things on. It was different then before and seemed to be happy. So put everything back in, connected everything and hit the power button. Fans spun up, then slowed down a bit. Then the whole thing just turned itself off. I thought I even smelled something maybe coming from the power supply? I pulled the plug and checked everything and didn't see any issues or potential problems. But now I can't even get the power to come on. I unplugged everything and took most things out, but the power won't even turn on no matter what I do. Its like the switch no longer works....

Something is seriously wrong here and now I am just trying to figure out what all I need to RMA. The power supply? The MB? The CPU? I'm gonna try to test some of the other stuff in my other computer to see what actually works...

Ugh!

Gosh what a nightmare. The power supply can probably be tested with a multitester, or by using it to test power another computer if available. CPU and MoBo... I would return both if you can't rule either out. One question. After the first power-on with minimal hardware that seemed to go well, before you put all the hardware back, did you fully power down the system by turning off the PSU and preferably unplugging it? If not, it would have still been partially powered when you put the components back in and something could have fried, but I'm not sure what would be most likely to die.

Sadly other than swap-and-test I'm out of ideas. Maybe others here have more ideas for testing this out.

Marc

post #13404 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 PM

First time poster here, and first time computer builder. Here's the htpc I'm looking to build. I'm trying to keep the costs low because of a tight budget and the fact that since this is my first project, I'd like to keep it simple.

Case: APEVIA Black / Silver SECC Steel / Aluminum X-MASTER-AL/500 ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GT-UD3H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor

RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-2GBNQ

HD: Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

BD: ASUS Black 4X BD-ROM 8X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model BR-04B2T

Does this system look a capable htpc? Any feedback would be appreciated.
post #13405 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalur View Post

First time poster here, and first time computer builder. Here's the htpc I'm looking to build. I'm trying to keep the costs low because of a tight budget and the fact that since this is my first project, I'd like to keep it simple.

Case: APEVIA Black / Silver SECC Steel / Aluminum X-MASTER-AL/500 ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GT-UD3H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor

RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-2GBNQ

HD: Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

BD: ASUS Black 4X BD-ROM 8X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model BR-04B2T

Does this system look a capable htpc? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Looks good. I would probably swap out the WD GP drive (which I believe is 5400RPM) for a 7200RPM drive (WD Caviar Blue or Black)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #13406 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First time PC builder. I was wondering what base requirements I should have.

I want to be able to play games (Final Fantasy XIV, and some shooters) in the future, as well as upload all my blu-rays and DVDs and play them from my PC. I am not sure if I will have to encode and all that stuff, but I may if I want to safe space on the hard drives.

Basically should I purchase a quad core or a dual core. Another thing, will any discrete graphics card suffice? I see on the guide some can go to $300 such as the HD 5800's. Could I use a 5670 or 5770 with an i7 to save some money? And does getting an i7 mean I need to buy better coolers and cases etc.

I have a deal @ my local store for i7 930 and MSI X58 Pro-E for only $319. I also had another deal for a Phenom II x2 555 with another mobo for $115. I'm not sure if the MSI mobo is good, but I want some feedback if it's a great deal.

What should I do? Thanks!
post #13407 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigorousXChris View Post

First time PC builder. I was wondering what base requirements I should have.

I want to be able to play games (Final Fantasy XIV, and some shooters) in the future, as well as upload all my blu-rays and DVDs and play them from my PC. I am not sure if I will have to encode and all that stuff, but I may if I want to safe space on the hard drives.

Basically should I purchase a quad core or a dual core. Another thing, will any discrete graphics card suffice? I see on the guide some can go to $300 such as the HD 5800's. Could I use a 5670 or 5770 with an i7 to save some money? And does getting an i7 mean I need to buy better coolers and cases etc.

I have a deal @ my local store for i7 930 and MSI X58 Pro-E for only $319. I also had another deal for a Phenom II x2 555 with another mobo for $115. I'm not sure if the MSI mobo is good, but I want some feedback if it's a great deal.

What should I do? Thanks!

5770's Are great for the money. The V2 (egg shaped cooler covers) and VAPOR-X by Sapphire run quieter and cooler. So go for one of those if you decide on a 5770.

i7 deons't mean that you will need special cases or coolers. Stock cooler will be fine. Unless you want to OC it... The aftermarket cooler would be better.

What MSI motherboard is it?
post #13408 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=pr...4&maincat_no=1

That's the MOBO. I want to make sure the package is worth it. Don't wanna buy the package deal and the mobo being trash lol.

Also should I go towards an i7 since I am going to play games and upload movies all the time to it?
post #13409 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

The Phenom X2 bundle is great. If you get lucky, you might be able to unlock it to a Phenom X4 with that mobo. Gaming is more gpu bottlenecked so save some money on the cpu and go for a higher end gpu would be better.

The Core i7 bundle is a good but not great price but i think overkill for most applications.
post #13410 of 19343 Old 04-09-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqian View Post

The Phenom X2 bundle is great. If you get lucky, you might be able to unlock it to a Phenom X4 with that mobo. Gaming is more gpu bottlenecked so save some money on the cpu and go for a higher end gpu would be better.

The Core i7 bundle is a good but not great price but i think overkill for most applications.

The MoBo that he linked was an Intel Motherboard. Seems most of the dual core PhenomIIs are unlocking on the capable boards... Stability is another story.
5850 Are reasonable and can handle anything that you throw at it.

I have a Sapphire 5770 and I can play Crysis on it with medium high settings without a hitch. And when they are Crossfired, you're paying less than a 5870 but with the same performance and less power usage as well as heat!
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers