Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server - Page 461 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #13801 of 19229 Old 05-17-2010, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any software advise for a newbie? I have almost completed the build on th eIntel-Intel midrange HTPC and the 15 HDD network storage to stream from via LAN cable. Should i go windows 7 on both? I have read the true DTS sound from the ATI video card only works in windows? I want some redundancy for all my media files, but dont want to go as far as RAID1. Anyone have recommendations for software RAID5? i assume i could replace any drive that failed before a second one failed so i think that would fit my needs. Also, what programs do you recommend for regular streaming and playing the video files? I currently run Ubuntu on my laptop, but didnt think that would work for the HD video and sound. Any help is appreciated as i am lost as far as software goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13802 of 19229 Old 05-17-2010, 03:12 PM

AMD-AMD iGPU Mini-ITX Heat Issue
I built the MINIX system Renethx recommends, only with 65w X2 240 rather than 45w 240e (missed the March update). It gets temps of 50C idle, 65C on HDTV playback (1.14v) and peaks of 72C playing Flash 480p (10.1 beta, HW accelerated) - (1.5v max CPU voltage) The PSU gets *really* hot to touch, seems to move very little air.
What do you guys think is a reasonable approach?
1. Stop worrying, these temps are fine if it's all stable.
2. Swap out for FSP300-60GHS-R 300W Micro ATX 80 PLUS PSU - 80% efficient = cooler PSU = cooler CPU (since they're on top of each other)
3. Undervolt the X2 240 with K10stat (noob alert, but cost = $0) to approximate the 240e
4. Swap out for a Silverstone GD05B case (better cooling, but $$)
5. Squeeze a Scythe SY1212SL12M 12mmx120mm fan in place of NT07 fan (fit?)

Thanks anyone who cares to comment, including flames!

for reference -
AMD-AMD (iGPU)

System
CPU: Athlon II X2 240 2.8ghz AM3. (*Not* the later rec 240e )
CPU Cooler: SilverStone NT07-AM2, $20.
Motherboard: J&W MINIX 785G-SP128MB AM2+ AMD 785G chipset Mini-ITX, $155.
Memory: Crucial CT2KIT12864AC800 DDR2-800 SO-DIMM 2 x 1GB Kit, $49.
Graphics Card: Radeon HD 4200 (integrated in the chipset), $0.
HDD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB SATA 3.0Gbps, $65.
PSU: ATX12V 250W SFX PSU (included in the case): $0.
Case: Apex MI-008 Mini-ITX, $40.
Lite-on BD-ROM drive.
post #13803 of 19229 Old 05-17-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintoc View Post

3. Undervolt the X2 240 with K10stat (noob alert, but cost = $0) to approximate the 240e

One vote for this. It's kinda like overclocking at stock voltage, except instead of trying to find the maximum stable frequency, you're trying to find the lowest stable voltage. Also, you might want to install a 120mm fan on the side as SPCR did in this review.
post #13804 of 19229 Old 05-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by litster View Post

Just saw a combo deal with Intel i5 661 + Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H for a very good deal. Is this pair a good option vs i3 530 + Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3, assuming I can live without USB3 or RAID? Thanks.

cpu is overkill and kinda silly for HTPC. Mobo is lower end. Better to wait for the i3 530 combo with the same mobo for $50 less.
post #13805 of 19229 Old 05-17-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinqian View Post

cpu is overkill and kinda silly for HTPC. Mobo is lower end. Better to wait for the i3 530 combo with the same mobo for $50 less.

True, but the special deal price for i5 661 plus UD2H (switched from S2H) is $33 *cheaper* than i3 530 with the same motherboard bought separately. How could it be wrong? And I missed that better i3 530 deal last week and want to build it out this weekend...
post #13806 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 AM

Awesome guide.
Thank you so much, renethx.

One question I'd have for owners of HTPC's

a lot of the system specs I've seen in this thread don't seem to own dedicated sound cards. Is the sound you get from the mother board good enough?

I have quite a number of lossless albums in FLAC and WAV and would like to get the most out of them.

Would adding a dedicated soundcard like the
Xonar D2X Professional 7.1 PCI-E or
Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim PCI or
XONAR DX PCI express 7.1 Channel

to the mid-range unit below recommended by renethx make sense?
I have a Denon AVR, so i think I would want a dedicated sound card.

Also, I don't see a TV tuner card. Is this included in the graphics card? How would you record TV on the HTPC without a TV tuner card?

Thank you and please pardon the ignorance

CPU: Core i3 530 2.93GHz LGA1156, $113.
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 風神鍛 (Geminii S) RR-CCH-PBU1-GP, $30, with Cooler Master RR-ACC-1156-GP LGA1156 Retention Bracket Set, $4.
Motherboard: ASRock H55M Pro LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX, $95. If you need an IDE connector and/or a FDD connector, choose GIGABYTE GA-H55M-UD2H LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX, $105, or ASUS P7H55-M PRO LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX, $110. GIGABYTE and ASUS are releasing also USB 3.0 versions.
Memory: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1600 2 x 2GB Kit, $105.
Graphics Card (ATI): HIS H567Q512 Radeon HD 5670 GDDR5 512MB, $100. An alternative is Sapphire HD 5670 512GB GDDR5, $100.
Graphics Card (NVIDIA): ASUS ENGT240/DI/512MD5/A GeForce GT 240 GDDR5 512MB, $100.
HDD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB SATA 3.0Gbps, $63.
PSU: Corsair VX450W CMPSU-450VX 450W, $70. An alternative is Enermax ECO80+ 400W EES400AWT, $58.
Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black microATX, with LCD/IR receiver/remote, $130.
Total Cost: $712 for ATI, $712 for NVIDIA
post #13807 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 01:51 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by activebass View Post

a lot of the system specs I've seen in this thread don't seem to own dedicated sound cards. Is the sound you get from the mother board good enough?

Er, you say you have a Denon AVR, so why on earth would you have a dedicated sound card in your HTPC?

I simply take the digital bitstream from my HTPC and let my Denon 3808 do all the heavy lifting of turning the digital signal into the analog signals that drive my speakers...

Geoff Coupe
post #13808 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:

Awesome guide.
Thank you so much, renethx.

I have quite a number of lossless albums in FLAC and WAV and would like to get the most out of them.

Would adding a dedicated soundcard like the
Xonar D2X Professional 7.1 PCI-E or
Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim PCI or
XONAR DX PCI express 7.1 Channel

to the mid-range unit below recommended by renethx make sense?
I have a Denon AVR, so i think I would want a dedicated sound card.

Also, I don't see a TV tuner card. Is this included in the graphics card? How would you record TV on the HTPC without a TV tuner card?

Thank you and please pardon the ignorance

CPU: Core i3 530 2.93GHz LGA1156, $113.
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 風神鍛 (Geminii S) RR-CCH-PBU1-GP, $30, with Cooler Master RR-ACC-1156-GP LGA1156 Retention Bracket Set, $4.
Motherboard: ASRock H55M Pro LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX, $95. If you need an IDE connector and/or a FDD connector, choose GIGABYTE GA-H55M-UD2H LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX, $105, or ASUS P7H55-M PRO LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX, $110. GIGABYTE and ASUS are releasing also USB 3.0 versions.
Memory: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1600 2 x 2GB Kit, $105.
Graphics Card (ATI): HIS H567Q512 Radeon HD 5670 GDDR5 512MB, $100. An alternative is Sapphire HD 5670 512GB GDDR5, $100.
Graphics Card (NVIDIA): ASUS ENGT240/DI/512MD5/A GeForce GT 240 GDDR5 512MB, $100.
HDD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB SATA 3.0Gbps, $63.
PSU: Corsair VX450W CMPSU-450VX 450W, $70. An alternative is Enermax ECO80+ 400W EES400AWT, $58.
Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black microATX, with LCD/IR receiver/remote, $130.
Total Cost: $712 for ATI, $712 for NVIDIA

These questions are very familiar to me as I had the same questions when I started investigating HTPC. I will try to answer them the best I can.

Why dont i need a dedicated sound card:
Sound cards are almost exclusively used to convert Digital Audio signals to Analog Audio signals. You dont need a soundcard because the Digital Audio signals can be sent along the HDMI cable to your receiver. The receiver is then responsible for converting the Digital signal to Analog(This is a receivers primary purpose).

Why isnt a TV tuner card included:
Different strokes for different folks. This thread supplies a barebones system that can function as an HTPC. What you do with that HTPC is a personal decision. Many people own set top boxes/TiVos and dont need TV on PC, rather they might just want a PC that can play bluray disks or play video/audio files stored on the HTPC or a server in another room. TV Tuners are hard to suggest as well. Right now there is only 1 HD Cable TV Tuner that will work for almost all your cable companies channels(ATI Tuner with CableCard). However, many people are estatically awaiting the release of the Ceton Infinity 4. The Ceton PCIe card will allow an HTPC to tune 4 HD channels at one time!

Here is what I would do:
Investigate your configuration and determine the following:
1. What type and how many open slots will there be once the PC is built?
2. What type of features may I want to add to the configuration later?
3. Do I want to invest in a second PC for additional HD space?

You can see where I am going with this, I intially thought that the MicroATX configuration was right for me before I realized I wanted my HTPC to do everything Audio/Video related by itself. That means I wanted it to Rip DVD and Blurays and store them(lots of HD space), and accept install of a Ceton 4 tuner card(at least 1 open PCIe slot). These two "requirements", specifically the first one, made me realize I needed to go with an ATX case. If I plan on ripping BluRays I need to have the expandability to increase my disk space(or at least start with alot).
post #13809 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 AM

Renethx, I have a question for you. I went with the GB h57m-usb3 board and in the manual it says this about the HDMI audio port.

"Please note the HDMI audio output only supports AC3, DTS and 2-channel-LPCM formats. (AC3 and DTS require the use of an external decoder for decoding.)"

Since this wasn't the board you specified I looked at the manual for the h55mud2h and it says the same thing. This seems to contradict the chart you posted that the i3 Clarkdale boards support multi-channel in all these formats.

I have a very basic understanding of all this so hopefully I'm not reading something right or misunderstanding. This was what I was referencing http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ound%20Devices

Any thoughts?
post #13810 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoupe View Post

Er, you say you have a Denon AVR, so why on earth would you have a dedicated sound card in your HTPC?

I simply take the digital bitstream from my HTPC and let my Denon 3808 do all the heavy lifting of turning the digital signal into the analog signals that drive my speakers...

Because I'm a complete noob to this?
Thanks for the info.
I bought my entry-level hi-fi 11 years ago and my knowledge is still stuck there. Bought my Denon AVR-2310 in December and am very happy with it. Am still using my 11 year-old B&W DM601 front speakers and was using an equally-old Marantz CD67MkII, which stopped a while back and will replace witha Marantz CD 6003.

I guess the reason I was asking about a dedicated sound card was that i was thinking of sending the signal to a DAC like the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic.

But maybe I can do that out from the Mobo just as well.

Thanks
post #13811 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post

These questions are very familiar to me as I had the same questions when I started investigating HTPC. I will try to answer them the best I can.

Why dont i need a dedicated sound card:
Sound cards are almost exclusively used to convert Digital Audio signals to Analog Audio signals. You dont need a soundcard because the Digital Audio signals can be sent along the HDMI cable to your receiver. The receiver is then responsible for converting the Digital signal to Analog(This is a receivers primary purpose).

Why isnt a TV tuner card included:
Different strokes for different folks. This thread supplies a barebones system that can function as an HTPC. What you do with that HTPC is a personal decision. Many people own set top boxes/TiVos and dont need TV on PC, rather they might just want a PC that can play bluray disks or play video/audio files stored on the HTPC or a server in another room. TV Tuners are hard to suggest as well. Right now there is only 1 HD Cable TV Tuner that will work for almost all your cable companies channels(ATI Tuner with CableCard). However, many people are estatically awaiting the release of the Ceton Infinity 4. The Ceton PCIe card will allow an HTPC to tune 4 HD channels at one time!

Here is what I would do:
Investigate your configuration and determine the following:
1. What type and how many open slots will there be once the PC is built?
2. What type of features may I want to add to the configuration later?
3. Do I want to invest in a second PC for additional HD space?

You can see where I am going with this, I intially thought that the MicroATX configuration was right for me before I realized I wanted my HTPC to do everything Audio/Video related by itself. That means I wanted it to Rip DVD and Blurays and store them(lots of HD space), and accept install of a Ceton 4 tuner card(at least 1 open PCIe slot). These two "requirements", specifically the first one, made me realize I needed to go with an ATX case. If I plan on ripping BluRays I need to have the expandability to increase my disk space(or at least start with alot).

Thank you very much for the comprehensive answer.
I think you maybe burst a bubble for me, but it's good because I will make a more informed decision.
I do want my HTPC to do just about everything. Play BluRay, rip BluRay, play DVDs, play my downloaded movies, as well as audio files and also I would want to record TV.

To record TV, do I need a dedicated TV card? I think I do right?

Some of the micro-ATX cases allow for 3 to 6 Drive Bays (3.5").
Isn't that enough?

Am thinking of the Antech Fusion Black or the Silverstone GD01MX
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzE4

http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...d01mx&area=usa
post #13812 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:

I think you maybe burst a bubble for me, but it's good because I will make a more informed decision.
I do want my HTPC to do just about everything. Play BluRay, rip BluRay, play DVDs, play my downloaded movies, as well as audio files and also I would want to record TV.

Isn't that enough?

The antec case has 2 HD Bays (the 5.25" bay will house the BluRay player). The Silverstonetek case is actually a standard ATX case, It supports both ATX and MicroATX.

You do need a dedicated TV Card to record television. Some people build HTPC's and watch shows on things like netflix, hulu, cbs online, nbc online, etc... However, if you want to watch/record things like Discovery Channel HD you will need a TV Tuner Card with a CableCard slot. This is because most cable companies encrypt thier digital channels and the CableCard is issued by the Cable Co to decrypt the channels.

While I dont want to scare you away from building an HTPC I should also mention that if you go the CableCard route you will also likely need to get a Tuning Adapter from your cable company that will go between the wall and your PC. You do not interface directly with the tuning adapter it is used to tell the Cable company headend that you are requesting to view a specific channel. If you want to learn more about what im talking about do a google search on SDV(Switched Digital Video). I have never heard of a Cable Company charging fees for a tuning adapter. I believe they were required to launch a free solution since they added functionality that caused a degradation in service for CableCard customers. However, you will likely be charged a monthly fee for the CableCard itself, usually it is minimal though, like $2.00 a month.

Just to recap, based on what you said you wanted to do, the following additional items will be necessary:
1.) A TV Tuner Card (If you want a complete HD lineup from Cable Co, it needs to use CableCard technology). Without CableCard, can be really cheap(<$100), but again, very few HD Channels. With CableCard, can be expensive($399 for the 4 tuner Ceton) but well worth it if you want to replace your Cable box/record 4 channels at once!.
2.) A BluRay Player (Around $100)
3.) A CableCard from your cable company for your TV Tuner(if you choose the CableCard Tuner)

I was fairly fortunate in that I own a TiVo HD and already went through all this CableCard junk already so when I build my HTPC I wont be royaly confused on how to get my HTPC to view TV Stations. In reality the biggest problem with CableCards is finding anyone who knows anything about them when you call your Cable provider.
post #13813 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

There are plenty of choices. SilverStone cases are very good. Similar cases are LC10-E, LC13-E, GD01. Basically the internal structure of these cases are identical (with slight modification of HDD cages etc.).

Also look at Antec Fusion Remote Max (extremely good airflow) and Zalman HD 501/HD503.

Thx renethx...

I ended up going with the LC13.
post #13814 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Isn't that enough?

You can use a SiliconDust HDHomerun to record TV or cable also and it is a standalone unit that connects via your router to your network. The nice thing about this is that it frees up space and reduces heat inside your HTPC. It also allows any computer on the network to watch Live TV on the PC.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #13815 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. This guide is great, but unfortunately it seems like it just confused me more. I am looking for someone to help me. I'm trying to build a mid-range HTPC.

I would like:
- lots of storage (1 TB minimum to start, with room for at least one expansion)
- to play and rip Bluray to HD in full 1080p quality
- to store music

That's all I really want. I will also need HDMI ports to connect it to my TV. I will be using XBMC as a front-end player, and the system will need to be powerful enough to rip Bluray. Can anyone help me? PM me. Thanks.
post #13816 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 PM

Has anyone tried the Avermedia AVer HD DVR PCI Express card http://www.jr.com/avermedia/pe/AVR_M...ductTabSimilar for your HTPC. Will this card fit in an Antec Fusion Remote Black case.
Thank you
post #13817 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsault View Post

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. This guide is great, but unfortunately it seems like it just confused me more. I am looking for someone to help me. I'm trying to build a mid-range HTPC.

I would like:
- lots of storage (1 TB minimum to start, with room for at least one expansion)
- to play and rip Bluray to HD in full 1080p quality
- to store music

That's all I really want. I will also need HDMI ports to connect it to my TV. I will be using XBMC as a front-end player, and the system will need to be powerful enough to rip Bluray. Can anyone help me? PM me. Thanks.

Any of Rene's system recommendations will do this. Ripping BD is no big deal (ripping from DVD/BD to MKV or other files, preserving full quality). Re-encoding it to make it take up less disc space, if you bother to do it, that takes more oomph in the system. I rip my discs but never bother to re-encode them. I keep full quality. Takes about 45 minutes to rip a BD to either .ISO format (keeping all the features and menus) or to strip it down to just the main track(s) of interest.

Marc

PS: Sorry for not PMing you, in this thread we try to keep the discussion where all can benefit from it.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #13818 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Any of Rene's system recommendations will do this. Ripping BD is no big deal (ripping from DVD/BD to MKV or other files, preserving full quality). Re-encoding it to make it take up less disc space, if you bother to do it, that takes more oomph in the system. I rip my discs but never bother to re-encode them. I keep full quality. Takes about 45 minutes to rip a BD to either .ISO format (keeping all the features and menus) or to strip it down to just the main track(s) of interest.

Marc

PS: Sorry for not PMing you, in this thread we try to keep the discussion where all can benefit from it.

Out of curiosity what do you use to rip your BDs to ISO?
post #13819 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Marc

Marc,

No worries on the PM. I just thought it would help clear the thread of my lack of knowledge!

I would like my files to take up less disk space while still maintaining much of their original quality (in preparation for my purchase I have started ripping some TV shows on a 70% constant quality rate in Handbrake). I understand that will need more oomph.

I guess what I just don't understand is why Intel instead of AMD instead of NVIDIA, etc. What are the core differences between MicroATX, Mini-ITX, and ATX besides size?

For WD HDs, what is the difference between their Caviar Blue/Green/Black ones?

It seems like for the most versatility, Radeon HD 5000 series is the way to go for a video card because it can play all three audio types. Would you agree?

I'll think of more questions later. Thanks for the help!
post #13820 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 PM

I just got the supermicro cse-m35t1 5 disk rack, there is a cable with 5 wires, they are for the activity leds. Where do they plug into?

Thanks Mike
post #13821 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use AnyDVD HD for all ISO's and folder rips.

HTPCat

post #13822 of 19229 Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 PM

Ok USB 3.0 question. If I have a USB 3.0 mother board, will anything I plug into it also have to be USB 3.0 to get the speed boost? I have USB external hard drives and the like but if USB 3.0 is not going to help them then I don't need to worry about finding a mother board with USB 3.0. Thanks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus
post #13823 of 19229 Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 AM

good day everyone,

first post but I have been reading up a lot and have learned a lot. great guide so thank you very much renethx.

I am from the Philippines so I need to work with what is available here as some of the parts recommended (asrock M3A785gmh/128m) are not available here.

basically I'm not allowed to spend much by the secretary of finance so the i3 is out.. I am going for good 1080p playback, no decoding etc as ill use my ancient q6600 for that.

CPU: Athlon II X2 250
CPU Cooler: stock
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H
Memory: Geil value ram 2x2GB ddr2 800 (5-5-5-15) (old)
Graphics Card (ATI): sapphire 5670 512mb
HDD: 1TB WD green
PSU: included in case
Case: Apex MJ-16 (apextechusa.com/products.asp?pID=116) can be set as tower or desktop (will do desktop of course)

will this play ok even without the 5670? I wanted to go with the igpu option but said asrock mobo is not available and the gigabyte version with 128mb sideport memory is not available here as well.

is the case decent? can its psu theoretically handle 2 additional HDDs in the future plus the 5670 (if i do buy it)

thank you in advance for your thoughts
post #13824 of 19229 Old 05-19-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:

The antec case has 2 HD Bays (the 5.25" bay will house the BluRay player). The Silverstonetek case is actually a standard ATX case, It supports both ATX and MicroATX.

You do need a dedicated TV Card to record television. Some people build HTPC's and watch shows on things like netflix, hulu, cbs online, nbc online, etc... However, if you want to watch/record things like Discovery Channel HD you will need a TV Tuner Card with a CableCard slot. This is because most cable companies encrypt thier digital channels and the CableCard is issued by the Cable Co to decrypt the channels.

While I dont want to scare you away from building an HTPC I should also mention that if you go the CableCard route you will also likely need to get a Tuning Adapter from your cable company that will go between the wall and your PC. You do not interface directly with the tuning adapter it is used to tell the Cable company headend that you are requesting to view a specific channel. If you want to learn more about what im talking about do a google search on SDV(Switched Digital Video). I have never heard of a Cable Company charging fees for a tuning adapter. I believe they were required to launch a free solution since they added functionality that caused a degradation in service for CableCard customers. However, you will likely be charged a monthly fee for the CableCard itself, usually it is minimal though, like $2.00 a month.

Just to recap, based on what you said you wanted to do, the following additional items will be necessary:
1.) A TV Tuner Card (If you want a complete HD lineup from Cable Co, it needs to use CableCard technology). Without CableCard, can be really cheap(<$100), but again, very few HD Channels. With CableCard, can be expensive($399 for the 4 tuner Ceton) but well worth it if you want to replace your Cable box/record 4 channels at once!.
2.) A BluRay Player (Around $100)
3.) A CableCard from your cable company for your TV Tuner(if you choose the CableCard Tuner)

I was fairly fortunate in that I own a TiVo HD and already went through all this CableCard junk already so when I build my HTPC I wont be royaly confused on how to get my HTPC to view TV Stations. In reality the biggest problem with CableCards is finding anyone who knows anything about them when you call your Cable provider.

Hi,

I see what you're saying about the case-size and agree with you. I will probably go the way of a case that would fit a standard ATX, so there are more bays for expansion.

As far as I'm concerned Discs always chance, but HDDs have been around for a long time now and are still a mainstay, so ripping BluRays is something I WILL be doing.

On the subject of recording TV - there must be easier solutions like the options below, no?

I don't have to record in full, super quality.
There are devices now that will take the signal out from my cable boxes via composite or HDMI and record with a touch of a button. Like the one HTPcat suggest, only, I don't want a seperate device, I'd like to have it as part of my HTPC.

That way I can also do some editing.

For example i can record a sporst event and cut out the highlights etc, etc.

Thanks for the info, because if i can't find a simpler solution, what you've share will come in very handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pestocat View Post

Has anyone tried the Avermedia AVer HD DVR PCI Express card http://www.jr.com/avermedia/pe/AVR_M...ductTabSimilar for your HTPC. Will this card fit in an Antec Fusion Remote Black case.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post

You can use a SiliconDust HDHomerun to record TV or cable also and it is a standalone unit that connects via your router to your network. The nice thing about this is that it frees up space and reduces heat inside your HTPC. It also allows any computer on the network to watch Live TV on the PC.

post #13825 of 19229 Old 05-19-2010, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

AnyDVDHD to make .iso copies of discs, using the free Virtual Clone Drive to mount them later. I do this for any disc I think I may want to view special content etc..

For most movies/TV shows on DVD or BD I use MakeMKV to rip out the main movie track or TV episodes. MakeMKV doesn't require AnyDVDHD to be running.

For BD movies with forced subtitles I use this process on the Media Browser Community Tracker.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #13826 of 19229 Old 05-19-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4christ78 View Post

If I have a USB 3.0 mother board, will anything I plug into it also have to be USB 3.0 to get the speed boost?

Yes, the MB and the device have to support USB 3.0 to utilize USB 3.0 data transfer rates.

If you change MBs every 2 -3 years, I would just wait for the next go round to get USB 3.0: it will be integrated into the MB chipset and there will be many more compliant devices out there.
post #13827 of 19229 Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody test or know if I can use HDMI audio from i3-530 and HDMI video from nVidia 220 or 9600 GT using an intel mobo BOXDH55TC? I believe it is possible with the gigabyte mobo GA-H55M-UD2H but haven't heard about the intel mobo.

HTPCat

post #13828 of 19229 Old 05-19-2010, 02:15 PM

just curious with the intel-intel midrange microATX system with ati card, if i jumped from the i3 to the i5 should i bump up the psu also or will i be ok with 450w?
post #13829 of 19229 Old 05-19-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsoop View Post

just curious with the intel-intel midrange microATX system with ati card, if i jumped from the i3 to the i5 should i bump up the psu also or will i be ok with 450w?

A good quality 450W power supply is more than enough.
post #13830 of 19229 Old 05-19-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post

Anybody test or know if I can use HDMI audio from i3-530 and HDMI video from nVidia 220 or 9600 GT using an intel mobo BOXDH55TC? I believe it is possible with the gigabyte mobo GA-H55M-UD2H but haven't heard about the intel mobo.

No yes's yet, but having the i3-530, you're ready for 3d. You won't have to buy another card. Well, display is another story.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page