7Likes

post #14221 of 19149 Old 07-01-2010, 06:11 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fleegle, I am not an expert on that, but this says the answer is yes. AFAIK, DD and DTS require no special consideration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14222 of 19149 Old 07-01-2010, 06:21 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

I just purchased a pair of HP ProCurve 1410-8G gigabit switches. Newegg reviews of the 1400 series predecessor were very good, and the 1410 solves the two primary complaints. The jacks are on the rear of the unit. The power connector is snug, and there's a cable tie loop for it, if you really want to be positive it won't accidentally disconnect.

I haven't tested performance yet, but they have jumbo packet support to 9,216 bytes. I have faith given the ProCurve legacy that these will be good switches. Warranty is unbeatable: lifetime, next business day, advance replacement. Gotta love buying baby enterprise switches.

These are brand new and supplies are still tight. I got mine from buy.com, but I think CDW and PCConnection also have stock. Newegg hasn't gotten their inventory yet.
post #14223 of 19149 Old 07-01-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post

Fleegle, I am not an expert on that, but this says the answer is yes. AFAIK, DD and DTS require no special consideration.

Gotcha, thanks!

Does anyone have an idea if the 4290 GPU would make any difference over the 4250?
post #14224 of 19149 Old 07-01-2010, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleegle View Post

Does anyone have an idea if the 4290 GPU would make any difference over the 4250?

Slightly better performance in gaming.
post #14225 of 19149 Old 07-03-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medikit View Post

What do you guys think of adding a Geforce GT 220 to a regular desktop to make it an HTPC. Is this the best option? My goal is low power usage and no need for video games.

It's an excellent gfx card for HTPC. Low power consumption + CUDA support (to use with CoreAVC H.264 codec).
post #14226 of 19149 Old 07-04-2010, 10:04 AM

I wonder if anyone could comment as to whether I am using about the right amount of cpu.
I have ripped a bluray movie with clown_bd. I am playing it back using shark007 codec pack in WMC7. I see about 35% cpu usage. the system is a GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H, AMD 9950 (2.6 GHz).H467QT512P Radeon HD 4670. Does that sound about right?
post #14227 of 19149 Old 07-04-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmeli View Post

I wonder if anyone could comment as to whether I am using about the right amount of cpu.
I have ripped a bluray movie with clown_bd. I am playing it back using shark007 codec pack in WMC7. I see about 35% cpu usage. the system is a GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H, AMD 9950 (2.6 GHz).H467QT512P Radeon HD 4670. Does that sound about right?

I am sure hardware decode is not working. If it works, you should see ~10% or less with Phenom X4.
post #14228 of 19149 Old 07-04-2010, 02:18 PM

OK thanks. What do I have to do to check? Any advice appreciated.
post #14229 of 19149 Old 07-04-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

OK thanks. What do I have to do to check? Any advice appreciated.

Shark007's forum is the best place to ask this question...
post #14230 of 19149 Old 07-04-2010, 04:41 PM

I asked on shark007's forum. Maybe I did not give you enough info. He said that a TS container with VC1 does not support DVXA.
post #14231 of 19149 Old 07-04-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I asked on shark007's forum. Maybe I did not give you enough info. He said that a TS container with VC1 does not support DVXA.

I am not sure what he meant. VC-1 in a TS file (or whatever container) can be decoded by HD 4670's UVD2 through DXVA. The important point is use a proper source/splitter filter and decoder. I recommend you to try to play the file with MPC HomeCinema (the latest svn 2099; download the 32-bit version with installer) with the default internal filters. If DXVA is working, you will see it.

Other VC-1 decoders supporting DXVA are

- CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD 9/10) with a loader
- ArcSoft Video Decoder (TMT3) (how to use it)

WMVideo Decoder DMO (included in Windows) does not support DXVA.
LL
post #14232 of 19149 Old 07-04-2010, 05:28 PM

Great! tried MPC. and I got DXVA. CPU is about 8-9%. I will tell shark007.
post #14233 of 19149 Old 07-04-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Great! tried MPC. and I got DXVA. CPU is about 8-9%. I will tell shark007.

I think Shark is talking about using the native WMVideo Decoder which does not support DXVA in VC1 m2(ts). Then again it is irrelevant, VC1 m2ts will give you no video if you play with the native WMVideo Decoder, so you have to use Gabest or other (as stated by Renethx is this thread - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16951614)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #14234 of 19149 Old 07-04-2010, 08:23 PM

OK. I will take a read of that thread.
One more question. When I play the movie in WMC (Windows 7, 64 bit) my receiver (Onkyo 705) shows Dolby D on the display. When I play it through MPC it shows Multichannel pcm. It sounds different to me although I assume it should be the same. The difference appears to be that there is more surround sound with Dolby D if that makes any sense. Can someone explain why I get the different source formats?

Thanks.
post #14235 of 19149 Old 07-04-2010, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

OK. I will take a read of that thread.
One more question. When I play the movie in WMC (Windows 7, 64 bit) my receiver (Onkyo 705) shows Dolby D on the display. When I play it through MPC it shows Multichannel pcm. It sounds different to me although I assume it should be the same. The difference appears to be that there is more surround sound with Dolby D if that makes any sense. Can someone explain why I get the different source formats?

Thanks.

By default, MPC HomeCinema decodes AC3/DTS to LPCM. To change it, go to View menu > Options > Internal Filters > AC3; double click it > Properties, where you can change the settings of the internal AC3/DTS/AAC/LPCM decoder. If you want bitstream (pass-through), select "S/PDIF".

In theory you shouldn't hear the difference between AC3 bitstream (which is eventually decoded by the receiver) and LPCM decoded from AC3 by the player. There are a couple of factors that make the difference...
post #14236 of 19149 Old 07-05-2010, 12:27 AM

Renethx,

Where can I buy the ASRock H55 Extreme3 LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset ATX mb online? On your mid-range ATX Intel-Intel (iGPU) system, you have this listed at $110, but I cannot find it anywhere online to buy. If you know of where I can buy it and it be shipped to the US, please let me know. Thanks.

Also, this is my first HTPC build. The system mentioned above is the system I want to build. What OS would you suggest? Windows 7 home edition 32-bit or 64-bit? I dont know much about the difference between the systems, but I have heard that 64-bit systems have some problems, and also that there is really no benefit of having a 64-bit system.
post #14237 of 19149 Old 07-05-2010, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoder View Post

Renethx,

Where can I buy the ASRock H55 Extreme3 LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset ATX mb online? On your mid-range ATX Intel-Intel (iGPU) system, you have this listed at $110, but I cannot find it anywhere online to buy. If you know of where I can buy it and it be shipped to the US, please let me know. Thanks.

Also, this is my first HTPC build. The system mentioned above is the system I want to build. What OS would you suggest? Windows 7 home edition 32-bit or 64-bit? I dont know much about the difference between the systems, but I have heard that 64-bit systems have some problems, and also that there is really no benefit of having a 64-bit system.

ASRock H55 Extreme3 may never be available in US. GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 is equally good. I recommend it for US users.

Read this.
post #14238 of 19149 Old 07-05-2010, 07:28 AM

I tried what you suggested but it didn't seem to change anything on the receiver.
post #14239 of 19149 Old 07-05-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I tried what you suggested but it didn't seem to change anything on the receiver.

A possibility is that the codec pack messed up your system. For example, another audio decoder may be inserted after MPC-HC so that AC3 output from MPC-HC is decoded to LPCM.
post #14240 of 19149 Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

A possibility is that the codec pack messed up your system. For example, another audio decoder may be inserted after MPC-HC so that AC3 output from MPC-HC is decoded to LPCM.

Thanks renethx. I removed sharks codec pack but I still get the same problem. Is there any tool that can help me figure out if there is another codec in the way?
post #14241 of 19149 Old 07-05-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Table of Contents
Registering and Unregistering DirectShow Filters

To use a DirectShow filter (usually with the file extension .ax) in a DirectShow player, first you have to register the file using the RegSvr32 tool (regsvr32.exe). RegSvr32 is a command line utility and must be "run as administrator". There a couple of ways to run this. Suppose that, for example, you are going to register the file

C:\\ProgramData\\DSFilter\\MPCVideoDec.ax

This is MPC - Video decoder, the standalone version of the MPC HomeCineam video decoder (download).

By Context Menu

The first method is add "register" and "unregister" options in the context menu of every .ax file, thus you can register or unregister any .ax file quickly. You can even register or unregister up to 15 .ax files simultaneously. First go to the folder

C:\\Windows\\System32

and find the file regsvr32.exe. Right-click it and click Copy. Click the System32 folder, right-click it and click Paste. Now you will have regsvr32 - Copy.exe in the System32 folder. As usual, spaces in the file name tend to cause an issue. So rename it to, say, regsvr32admin.exe. Right-click it and click Properties. Click the Compatibility tab and tick Run this program as an administrator (the picture below). Click OK. Now you can run regsvr32admin.exe (identical with regsvr32.exe) as administrator automatically (you still need to consent to the User Account Control consent dialog box).

Next copy the following text to Notepad and save it as, for example, context menu ax.reg (in any folder).

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.ax]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.ax\\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.ax\\shell\
egister]
@="&Register"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.ax\\shell\
egister\\command]
@="regsvr32admin.exe \\"%1\\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.ax\\shell\\unregister]
@="&Unregister"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.ax\\shell\\unregister\\command]
@="regsvr32admin.exe /u \\"%1\\""
Right-click context menu ax.reg and click Merge. Now two entries Register (defined by "&Register") and Unregister (defined by "&Unregister") will appear in the context menu of any .ax file, like this:

The name "Register" (resp. "Unregister") is immaterial; you can use any name you like. To register MPCVideoDec.ax, right-click the file MPCVideoDec.ax and click Register. You will see the following UAC consent dialog box:

Click Yes. Then you will see the following success message if everything went well.

To unregister MPCVideoDec.ax, use the Unregister option in the context menu in a similar fashion.

By Command Prompt

Click Start, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator. Alternatively, click Start, type "cmd" (without quotes) in the Search programs and files box, right-click the entry cmd.exe and click Run as administrator. When you see an UAC consent dialog box similar to the one in the first method, click Yes. You will see a Command Prompt window (the picture below). Type

Code:
regsvr32.exe "C:\\ProgramData\\DSFilter\\MPCVideoDec.ax"
The quotation marks are necessary if the path name includes spaces (you can omit them in this case).

and press Enter key. If you see the message "DllRegisterServer in C:\\ProgramData\\DSFilter\\MPCVideoDec.ax succeeded", you succeeded in registering MPCVideoDec.ax. Click OK and close the Command Prompt window.

To unregister the same file, use the following commands instead:

Code:
regsvr32.exe /u "C:\\ProgramData\\DSFilter\\MPCVideoDec.ax"
where the option /u indicates to unregister server.

By a Batch File

If you don't like to run Command Prompt, you can use a batch file. Copy the following commands in Notepad and save it as Register.bat in the same folder as MPCVideoDec.ax. The file name "Register" can be anything you like, but the file extension must be .bat.

Code:
cd /d %~dp0
regsvr32.exe MPCVideoDec.ax
Alternatively you can use:

Code:
regsvr32.exe "C:\\ProgramData\\DSFilter\\MPCVideoDec.ax"
In this case Register.bat can be saved in any folder. Right-click the file Register.bat and click Run as administrator. You will see the same UAC consent dialog box as in the above. Click Yes. Then you will see a command prompt window and a success message like this.

Click OK.

To unregister MPCVideoDec.ax, save the following commands

Code:
cd /d %~dp0
regsvr32.exe /u MPCVideoDec.ax
as Unregister.bat in the same folder as MPCVideoDec.ax. Or save the commands

Code:
regsvr32.exe /u "C:\\ProgramData\\DSFilter\\MPCVideoDec.ax"
as Unregister.bat in any folder. Run it as administrator as in the above.

So which method is the best? IMO, "By Context Menu" is at least the easiest and the quickest.

Using GraphStudio

GraphStudio is a powerful DirectShow filter management utility. Here is a brief summary of using it to see the filter graph of another media player.

1. Download graphstudio.exe for 32-bit players or graphstudio64.exe for 64-bit players from here and place it, for example, in C:\\ProgramData\\GraphStudio or C:\\ProgramData\\GraphStudio x64 for graphstudio64.exe.

2. Download proppage.dll included in Windows SDK from Microsoft (32-bit for 32-bit GraphStudio, 64-bit for GraphStudio 64-bit). In case you don't want to install the entire SDK in your system, I attached them. Place it in a folder (the same folder as graphstudio(64).exe is good).

3. Download DirectShowSpy.dll from here (32-bit for 32-bit GraphStudio, 64-bit for GraphStudio 64-bit). Place it in a folder (the same folder as graphstudio(64).exe is good).

4. Register proppage.dll and DirectShowSpy.dll exactly in the same way as DirectShow filters. That is, copy the following text to Notepad and save it as, for example, context menu ax.reg (in any folder).

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.dll]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.dll\\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.dll\\shell\
egister]
@="&Register"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.dll\\shell\
egister\\command]
@="regsvr32admin.exe \\"%1\\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.dll\\shell\\unregister]
@="&Unregister"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.dll\\shell\\unregister\\command]
@="regsvr32admin.exe /u \\"%1\\""
Select the files proppage.dll and DirectShowSpy.dll, right-click it and click Register.

5. Create a shortcut to graphstudio.exe, for example, on the desktop.

Now you can use graphstudio.exe to see the filter graph created by almost any DirectShow player. For example, play a media file with MPC HomeCinema. Launch graphstudio.exe and press Ctrl+G (or from File menu > Connect to Remote Graph...), select "iFilterGraph...mpc-hc.exe..." and press the "Connect" button. You will see the filter graph of the current video playback pipeline.
LL
LL

proppage 32.zip 132.341796875k . file

proppage 64.zip 183.169921875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip proppage 64.zip (183.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: zip proppage 32.zip (132.3 KB, 56 views)
post #14242 of 19149 Old 07-05-2010, 05:01 PM

Maybe someone can help me out with the last piece of my htpc puzzle. I need a tv tuner. I live in the north bay area SF and have the most basic service offered by comcast. (having their tv service makes my Internet cheaper, as stupid as it is) I have some channels like food network and tlc that I get when I use the cable box. Though if I bypass the box and go straight to the tv, it seems like I lose a lot of them but gain a handful of hd channels that I guess are local broadcast?

What kind of tuner do I need to pick up all these channels? Hoping a cablecard tuner isn't necessary as i dont ever plan on having any premium channels. Low profile a must, <$100 preferable.

Well
post #14243 of 19149 Old 07-05-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:

You can use GraphStudio.

1. Unzip the attached GraphStudio.zip and copy the folder "GraphStudio" to an appropriate place, for example, C:\\ProgramData.
2. Copy the downloaded file graphstudio.exe to this folder. So the contents of the folder are:

3. Copy the file InstallFilter.exe (by madshi) in this folder to the folder C:\\Windows\\System32.
4. Double click the file Context Menus.reg.
5. Select the files FilterGraphSpy.dll and proppage.dll, right click, then click "Install".
6. Create a shortcut to graphstudio.exe, for example, on the desktop.

Now you can use graphstudio.exe. Play a file with MPC HomeCinema. Launch graphstudio.exe and press Ctrl+G, select "iFilterGraph...mpc-hc.exe..." and press the "Connect" button. You will see the filter graph of the current video playback pipeline, like this:

There should be only the "Audio Switcher" filter of MPC-HC between the audio decoder ("DTS Decoder" in the case above) and the audio renderer ("Default DirectSound Device").

This way you can see the filter graph of almost every DirectShow player (PowerDVD, TMT, MCP-HC, ZoomPlayer, WMP, internal player of 7MC [if you disable MF] etc.) and diagnose the issue.

BTW if you replace "dll" with "ax" in Context Menus.reg, you can install any DirectShow filter (extension .ax) in a similar fashion (much easier than using regsvr32.exe in command lines).

renethx, that first link only has an exe, GraphStudio. Am I missing something?
post #14244 of 19149 Old 07-05-2010, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

renethx, that first link only has an exe, GraphStudio. Am I missing something?

Check the bottom of Renethx's post, he attached the zip file for you

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #14245 of 19149 Old 07-05-2010, 07:05 PM

oops, missed that! Thanks.
post #14246 of 19149 Old 07-05-2010, 07:35 PM

If I am building the ATX, Intel-Intel iGPU system, is there a difference in processing speed in having the recommended 500gb seagate hard drive vs a 750 gb western digital hard drive? Would the extra 250gb slow the system down, or would there be much of a difference in speed since you can partition the hard drive to allot a certain amount of hard drive space to the OS anyways?

The hard drive I am looking at is Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s. It is only $10 more on Newegg, and has 2 extra years of warranty over the seagate, and then the obvious 250gb extra, which i could use to store media files. Thanks.
post #14247 of 19149 Old 07-05-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:

If I am building the ATX, Intel-Intel iGPU system, is there a difference in processing speed in having the recommended 500gb seagate hard drive vs a 750 gb western digital hard drive? Would the extra 250gb slow the system down, or would there be much of a difference in speed since you can partition the hard drive to allot a certain amount of hard drive space to the OS anyways?

The hard drive I am looking at is Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s. It is only $10 more on Newegg, and has 2 extra years of warranty over the seagate, and then the obvious 250gb extra, which i could use to store media files. Thanks.

You should probably do some reading about the basic components that make up a pc and what their functions are before diving into an htpc build. A hard drive has nothing to do with processor speed.
post #14248 of 19149 Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalCS84 View Post

You should probably do some reading about the basic components that make up a pc and what their functions are before diving into an htpc build. A hard drive has nothing to do with processor speed.

I don't think he's referring to the processor speed, he stated processing speed, as in how much of a difference will the faster hard drive make?
post #14249 of 19149 Old 07-05-2010, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ST3500418AS is the latest model with a single 500GB platter, while WD7501AALS is an older model with three 250GB platters. Seagate 7200.12 is (precisely speaking, "should be", as I have not compared them directly) faster, quieter, cooler, less trouble-prone. For example, power consumption:
  Read/Write Idle
ST3500418AS 6.57W 5.00W
WD7501AALS 8.40W 7.80W
I recommend Seagate 7200.12 for the OS drive.

Well, the difference may not be big for HTPC usage...
LL
LL
LL
post #14250 of 19149 Old 07-06-2010, 03:54 AM

Quote:

ASRock H55 Extreme3 may never be available in US. GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 is equally good. I recommend it for US users.

Read this.

I am looking to upgrade the performance of my HTPC. Here is what I am currently runnning:

Intel E6600, Gigabyte GA965P-DS3 MB, Nvidia 8600GT.

It has been an adequate system for a few years now, but I would like to update.

I am curious (confused) about full ATX boards and chipsets. I see you are recommending a H55 chipset. Can someone tell me what the H55 offers over P55 or Q55?

I could go out and just purchase your recommendation, but I would like to understand why I am choosing one over another.

Also- is there a hardware solution to getting simultaneous analog and digital audio?

Thx.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page