Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #15331 of 19293 Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Basically, I want WMC to try and use the Duet for digital recordings first, so that I still have the analog tuners in the 2250 free if needed?

You have the ability to choose "always use HD" or "HD prefered" (meaning if there are no HD tunners available use SD tuner) per recording\\series.
You can also setup specific tunners per channel: http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/06/setti...r-channel.html.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15332 of 19293 Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by epayne11 View Post

You have the ability to choose "always use HD" or "HD prefered" (meaning if there are no HD tunners available use SD tuner) per recording\\series.
You can also setup specific tunners per channel: http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/06/setti...r-channel.html.

I think one issue with doing the "always us HD" option is that the 2250 is capable of recording the digital channels too. So, that setting would not necessarily make WMC use the Duet first.

I'll look into setting tuner priorities. That might do the trick.
post #15333 of 19293 Old 09-28-2010, 08:48 AM

Having a little issue with ripbot264. It has worked GREAT on bluray rips but when I try and open a DVD rip that's using the VTS_##_#.VOB format, ripbot just sits on "Please wait... Indexing video stream..."

Am I doing something wrong? I told ripbot to open the first .VOB file in the series for the actual movie.
post #15334 of 19293 Old 09-28-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

The mb selection depends on the number of HDDs (unRAID supports up to 21 HDDs + 1 cache drive) and SATA controller cards (typically AOC-SAT2-MV8 for PCI slot; AOC-SASLP-MV8 for PCI Express x4 slot) you want to use. You can even use two 590 cases, one with CPU/memory/mb/PSU/12 HDDs, the other with only PSU and 10 HDDs, connected with SATA cables.

unRAID Wiki Hardware Compatibility: Motherboard
Lime Technology - unRAID Server Community > Support > Motherboards

are helpful to find a mb that works under unRAID. For examle,

- ASUS M4A78L-M if you use PCI slots for controller cards
- GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H if you use PCI Express x16 slots for controller cards

PSU depends on the number of HDDs and the spin-up power of each HDD, which varies from model to model (this post).

So the answer is up to you...

Thanks, but remember than I building a barebones, cheap, tide-me-over system here. In the future, assuming streaming video hasn't made changed the landscape, I'm sure I'll upgrade to more powerful specs. For now though, what's the bare minimum I need out of the motherboard? The right socket (AM3?) for that Sempron 140, a handful of SATA ports, some PCI slots, and gigabyte ethernet, right? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'll check the unRAID forum, too, make sure what I find is compatible.

As for the PSU--thanks for the link. But my question was about the actual cabling. It's probably not an issue for my relatively low number of drives, I just wondered about how you get power cables to 20+ SATA drives. Do you have to get some kind of monster PSU or do you just somehow split the 6 or so SATA connectors that a standard PSU comes with?

Thanks as always

EDIT: for example, would this mb be ok, or any of these? I've heard of Biostar, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, but are ECS EliteGroup or ASRock reputable brands?
post #15335 of 19293 Old 09-28-2010, 08:58 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyrcks9901 View Post

I think one issue with doing the "always us HD" option is that the 2250 is capable of recording the digital channels too. So, that setting would not necessarily make WMC use the Duet first.

I'll look into setting tuner priorities. That might do the trick.

Yeah, setting tuner priorities to use the AVerMedia tuners first for the HD channels should do the trick. But I'd still suggest fabricating a test to confirm that it actually does what you expect before recording shows that you really care about.
post #15336 of 19293 Old 09-28-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkny View Post

As for the PSU--thanks for the link. But my question was about the actual cabling. It's probably not an issue for my relatively low number of drives, I just wondered about how you get power cables to 20+ SATA drives. Do you have to get some kind of monster PSU or do you just somehow split the 6 or so SATA connectors that a standard PSU comes with?

Thanks as always

EDIT: for example, would this mb be ok, or any of these? I've heard of Biostar, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, but are ECS EliteGroup or ASRock reputable brands?

VX550W has 6 SATA connectors and 6 4-pin peripheral power connectors. If you buy six of 4-Pin Molex to SATA Adapter or StarTech's one, you can use 12 HDDs. There are lots of similar 4-pin to SATA adapter cables, and even SATA to two SATA Y-cables.

A slightly neater way is in this post. This avoids cable clutters.

The safest way is select a mb that somebody uses and confirmed works fine under unRAID.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
post #15337 of 19293 Old 09-28-2010, 01:31 PM

thank you for the reply
I already knew that that technician is an a**hole

I'll go with AMD plus Antec fusion with remote
The cabinet ? I had a wooden one and I'm gonna trash it soon !! I'll grab a glass one and I'll be keen it doesn't block the ventilation of the case

thank you again for helping the newbies
post #15338 of 19293 Old 09-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 42
On the OP, it says this "Antec Multimedia Station Elite" is one of the recommended IR receivers. Is it the same animal as this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811999192

Does anyone know if this will work with my Harmony 510? Looking for a descent IR but could care less about the remote it comes with. The IR needs to look really good as well.

@ renethx, I tried to setup MPC-HC but after going thru all the directions I had an error on the movie itself. To much work for me, lol. I tried PowerDVD 10, and with a few minor adjustments I think it looks better than my standalone. The colors were slightly brighter, contrast seemed improved and I could swear it seems more 3 dimensional. I tried MC to see if the PQ was identical to PDVD, but it dont really look the same to me, its close but I can see a difference. I thought once I installed PDVD the MC would use its codec instead of its own? Wish I had a professional technician who could come over and adjust my TV settings along with my computer settings to hone it in correctly, lol. Thanks for your help man, I think I seen enough and really really like the clean look of 7MC. Time to hunt down a case and BD player I guess.
post #15339 of 19293 Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

On the OP, it says this "Antec Multimedia Station Elite" is one of the recommended IR receivers. Is it the same animal as this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811999192

Does anyone know if this will work with my Harmony 510? Looking for a descent IR but could care less about the remote it comes with. The IR needs to look really good as well.

@ renethx, I tried to setup MPC-HC but after going thru all the directions I had an error on the movie itself. To much work for me, lol. I tried PowerDVD 10, and with a few minor adjustments I think it looks better than my standalone. The colors were slightly brighter, contrast seemed improved and I could swear it seems more 3 dimensional. I tried MC to see if the PQ was identical to PDVD, but it dont really look the same to me, its close but I can see a difference. I thought once I installed PDVD the MC would use its codec instead of its own? Wish I had a professional technician who could come over and adjust my TV settings along with my computer settings to hone it in correctly, lol. Thanks for your help man, I think I seen enough and really really like the clean look of 7MC. Time to hunt down a case and BD player I guess.

Yes. Antec Mult-Station Basic is cheaper without VFD and perhaps enough.

Yes, you can use PowerDVD's video decoders in MPC-HC: CyberLink Video/SP Decoder for DVD and CyberLink Video Decoder for MPEG-2 (except for DVD), VC-1 and H.264.

-

-
post #15340 of 19293 Old 09-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes. Antec Mult-Station Basic is cheaper without VFD and perhaps enough.

Yes, you can use PowerDVD's video decoders in MPC-HC: CyberLink Video/SP Decoder for DVD and CyberLink Video Decoder for MPEG-2 (except for DVD), VC-1 and H.264.

Ok cool thanks.

I dont want to use MPC-HC. I only want to use 7MC, since its the only one which provides large enough text to read. How do I get 7MC to use PowerDVD's dvd upscaling codec and settings? On the PDVD website it says PDVD integrates with windows media center. But I dont think the PQ is the same, so 7MC must not be using PDVD's codec.

Thanks
post #15341 of 19293 Old 09-29-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

I dont want to use MPC-HC. I only want to use 7MC, since its the only one which provides large enough text to read. How do I get 7MC to use PowerDVD's dvd upscaling codec and settings? On the PDVD website it says PDVD integrates with windows media center. But I dont think the PQ is the same, so 7MC must not be using PDVD's codec.

PowerDVD is launched in "Cinema" mode from within 7MC as if it is part of 7MC.

You can change the Microsoft video decoder (used for DVD/live & recorded TV playback with 7MC internal player) to something else (use MCDU.exe), but this may break live TV (and does break encrypted QAM TV). Even if you change it to CyberLink Video/SP Decoder, TrueTheater HD does not work. It relies on ATI's post-processing algorithms (adjust CCC>Video). TrueTheater HD works only within PowerDVD (Classic or Cinema mode).

-

-
post #15342 of 19293 Old 09-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

PowerDVD is launched in "Cinema" mode from within 7MC as if it is part of 7MC.

You can change the Microsoft video decoder (used for DVD/live & recorded TV playback with 7MC internal player) to something else (use MCDU.exe), but this may break live TV (and does break encrypted QAM TV). Even if you change it to CyberLink Video/SP Decoder, TrueTheater HD does not work. It relies on ATI's post-processing algorithms (adjust CCC>Video). TrueTheater HD works only within PowerDVD (Classic or Cinema mode).

Well thats a huge bummer, TrueTheatre HD is superb looking on my DVD's. I will try both classic and cinema modes to see if PDVD looks any better. If not I will just use the remote of course and if I need to read something on the menu or remaining time or something, I will just have to use my binocs, lol.

Or find a decoder that works with 7MC that is just as good as TTHD. I wonder if I can change PDVD's text size simply by changing windows 7's text size... hmm

Thanks renethx
post #15343 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Text size in Cinema mode is large enough from a 10' distance (Cinema mode is designed for this purpose)...

-

-
post #15344 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 08:03 AM

Liked: 12
Does anyone have a quick how to; enable HD Audio codecs in my i3 HTPC?
HDMI to Onkyo TX-Sr607
Digital audio enabled in Windows 7
TMT retail edition. Which says I am outputting the HD Codecs when I click info.
Liteon 4x Blu Ray.

Just can't get the codec to light up on my Amp.
post #15345 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post

Does anyone have a quick how to; enable HD Audio codecs in my i3 HTPC?
HDMI to Onkyo TX-Sr607
Digital audio enabled in Windows 7
TMT retail edition. Which says I am outputting the HD Codecs when I click info.
Liteon 4x Blu Ray.

Just can't get the codec to light up on my Amp.

Can you test with FFDShow + MPC HC to see if you get it to work, see my guide here:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...7-htpc-part-i/

This works fine with my core i5 HTPC, might help narrow it down if it is your system or if it is TMT related. Do you have all the i3 drivers installed as well (I think you need to have MEI installed)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #15346 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Text size in Cinema mode is large enough from a 10' distance (Cinema mode is designed for this purpose)...

Yet again, wow. Cinema mode is just spectacular. Ok, so I removed my Stargate SG-1 DVD and put in my DVD of Avatar and couldn't believe my eyes. It damn near looks every bit as good as my Bluray version on my standalone player. Hmmm, I didnt know computers have come so far with regards to PQ.

PDVD 10 purchased. Thanks renethx
post #15347 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 09:32 AM

I am having this problem which is bugging me more than anything with my htpc.

I am using Antec MicroFusion 350 case and Windows 7 detects some keypresses which I never made. The keypresses go on forever making W7 less responsive and sometime totally frozen.

How should I go debugging this? I have disconnected the RF keyboard. Is there any way to find who is generating the keypress events?
post #15348 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpaxmember View Post

I am having this problem which is bugging me more than anything with my htpc.

I am using Antec MicroFusion 350 case and Windows 7 detects some keypresses which I never made. The keypresses go on forever making W7 less responsive and sometime totally frozen.

How should I go debugging this? I have disconnected the RF keyboard. Is there any way to find who is generating the keypress events?

Is it possible it is reading an IR signal from somewhere? Check and make sure no one is sitting on the remote

I bought the exact case recently, just waiting on $$ to fill it up.
post #15349 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Can you test with FFDShow + MPC HC to see if you get it to work, see my guide here:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...7-htpc-part-i/

This works fine with my core i5 HTPC, might help narrow it down if it is your system or if it is TMT related. Do you have all the i3 drivers installed as well (I think you need to have MEI installed)

I'll check out your link. I was under the impression it worked natively (no third party software,Plugins, Codec Packs) in windows, because of the way the iX and ATI video cards are advertised as being able to play HD Codecs.
post #15350 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I'll check out your link. I was under the impression it worked natively (no third party software,Plugins, Codec Packs) in windows, because of the way the iX and ATI video cards are advertised as being able to play HD Codecs.

To use MPC (or any DirectShow Player) you need to use FFDShow Audio to be able to bitstream (of course assuming you have the right hardware such as a core i3/i5, ATI 5xxx, etc...). With TMT3 it should just work. If MPC HC + FFDShow doesn't work for you then it means you are missing something in your system

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #15351 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

To use MPC (or any DirectShow Player) you need to use FFDShow Audio to be able to bitstream (of course assuming you have the right hardware such as a core i3/i5, ATI 5xxx, etc...). With TMT3 it should just work. If MPC HC + FFDShow doesn't work for you then it means you are missing something in your system

I have i3-530 on an MSI board connected to my Onkyo 607 Via HDMI.
TMT3 shows that I am bitstreaming while playing a blu ray. However my Receiver will not light up the associated codec. Dolby digital is as high as it goes.

FWIW I have a Blu ray stand alone that bitstreams perfectly, so I know the receiver works.
post #15352 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Windows 7 supports HD audio codecs at the driver level. However a player (source, decoder) is always necessary and Windows' native audio decoder does not support HD audio codecs...

-

-
post #15353 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosinaname View Post

Is it possible it is reading an IR signal from somewhere? Check and make sure no one is sitting on the remote

I bought the exact case recently, just waiting on $$ to fill it up.

Even when nobody is around and the HTPC is on, it has this problem. Google found out that CFLs might be responsible for this but this is happening during the day when all lights are off.

This case is good, but the LCD and IR are a big pain in the neck.
post #15354 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have i3-530 on an MSI board connected to my Onkyo 607 Via HDMI.
TMT3 shows that I am bitstreaming while playing a blu ray. However my Receiver will not light up the associated codec. Dolby digital is as high as it goes.

First make sure to install Intel MEI driver (somehow this is often forgotten). In TMT3 > Settings > Audio > Mixing Mode: Original primary audio...

-

-
post #15355 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:

First make sure to install Intel MEI driver (somehow this is often forgotten). In TMT3 > Settings > Audio > Mixing Mode: Original primary audio...

Is this it?
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...18532&lang=eng
post #15356 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Is this it?
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...18532&lang=eng

Yes.

-

-
post #15357 of 19293 Old 09-30-2010, 09:26 PM

I'm about to buy This ION Acer AR3610 from ebay. Can anyone please help me if it is a good buy? Do I built it myself or I just get this Acer to run XBMC better? Please help. Thank you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Acer-A...item19bfdd38ec
post #15358 of 19293 Old 10-01-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Even when nobody is around and the HTPC is on, it has this problem. Google found out that CFLs might be responsible for this but this is happening during the day when all lights are off.

Are you using a Plasma tv? I've heard of them interfering with IR receivers. I have the same case and it's running great but it is around the corner from my plasma and I don't see any interference. Also, check the connections on the board and motherboard to make sure you don't have something wired wrong.
post #15359 of 19293 Old 10-01-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:

That is too bad I got the case on sale, but if worse comes to worse I will just disconnect the IR and display and just use my remote and receiver from hauppauge tv tuner package. I was thinking if the display is to bad, maybe I could modify it and put a card reader or something there.

Do you consider it a pain in the neck for software, or visibility, both?
post #15360 of 19293 Old 10-01-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Try physically disabling the IR connector on your case. See if it still happens. If so, disable the LCD display (should not make any difference).

Use a wired keyboard short term. If you get it stable put your RF keyboard back in. Change one thing at a time.

Can you find an updated driver for your remote?

How do you know key presses are the problem?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page