Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server - Page 616 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18451 of 19149 Old 03-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Member
 
jmpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is my HTPC with Sapphire HD 6870 (provisionally here, not to keep to much time). The card is HUGE, but really powerfull and PQ is simply great!

Instead of Samsung b083L I spend a "little" more and bought a LG BH10LS38 (bluray burner). I tested it with the same CD audios and blu-rays that samsung couldn't read, and LG was perfect. Played all, really quiet and fast. I'm Happy with it, now just need to check how it burn. It looks well on case, in picture seems to much difference between the black colour, but in life looks better.

What do you think about HDMI cables? I see some really expensive and anothers cheaps. I am using a really cheap one. A better one can make difference in Audio/PQ?

Some pictures (sorry about quality):








(My Silverstone case didn't bring 8 yellow rubber to fix HDDs so I needed to put that plastic thing brown (a little ugly but works)
jmpa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18452 of 19149 Old 03-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Newbie
 
FishLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I posted a month ago asking when you'd have an updated version of the guide. You said soon, but there's still no updated guide yet. Any realistic timeline of when this will be updated?
FishLaw is offline  
post #18453 of 19149 Old 03-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Member
 
AistairS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current setup is ok for most things except madvr. I am wondering if a discrete gpu would help & if so can you recommend one for my setup below. I would ditch my DVB-T2 card if needed:

Asus E45M1-I DELUXE
Crucial 8GB Gamer
60GB Crucial M4 SSD
1TB Samsung HDD
Antec ISK 300-150
LG Slimline Bluray Burner
Blackgold DVB-T2

Or should i go with a completely new setup ie micro atx with say a Silverstone GD case ?
AistairS is offline  
post #18454 of 19149 Old 03-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
tomandbeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishLaw View Post

So I posted a month ago asking when you'd have an updated version of the guide. You said soon, but there's still no updated guide yet. Any realistic timeline of when this will be updated?

Have you contributed to Renethx's guide, enabling him to buy the components that go into his review? Go back a page or two where he summed the dearth of these contribs.
tomandbeth is offline  
post #18455 of 19149 Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Member
 
Xeriser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishLaw View Post

So I posted a month ago asking when you'd have an updated version of the guide. You said soon, but there's still no updated guide yet. Any realistic timeline of when this will be updated?

I have been wondering the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

Have you contributed to Renethx's guide, enabling him to buy the components that go into his review? Go back a page or two where he summed the dearth of these contribs.

I actually purchased the 4 issue option at the beginning of January so that I could look at the current November/December issue. Then I was going to finalize my configuration with the the January issue, but have been waiting patiently since.
Xeriser is offline  
post #18456 of 19149 Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
tomandbeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeriser View Post

I have been wondering the same.


I actually purchased the 4 issue option at the beginning of January so that I could look at the current November/December issue. Then I was going to finalize my configuration with the the January issue, but have been waiting patiently since.

I have more respect for someone who paid for the guides and patiently waiting than someone who has not (as for the poster I responded to originally, I don't know what their status is.)

I do hear you on the delay. It is frustrating and yet I also see and understand Renethx's frustration with the lack of support - which leads to his inability to purchase components and dedicate time to write a guide from.

I can only siggest at this time that you follow Renethx's posts in other forums to gain insight into whatever answers you need now to build., especially if your question revolves around a particular MOBO (Z68 for example).
tomandbeth is offline  
post #18457 of 19149 Old 03-12-2012, 05:33 AM
Newbie
 
wil1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishLaw View Post

So I posted a month ago asking when you'd have an updated version of the guide. You said soon, but there's still no updated guide yet. Any realistic timeline of when this will be updated?

There are a lot of new components hitting the market now i.e HD 77xx/78xx/79xx and the Z77 / H77 has been released by MSI so I'd say he has his hands full with testing.
wil1972 is offline  
post #18458 of 19149 Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,010
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I apologize for the long delay of the new release. There have been so few new product this winter (AMD Radeon HD 7900/7800/7700 is the only major one) and even if I updated it every month, there would be very little change of the contents. The release plan is

- March (realistically by 20th): One issue will be released.
- April-June: Intel Ivy Bridge/Z77 chipset (quad core) and AMD Trinity are going to be released. Perhaps I will update the guide every month.

I will make sure every 4-month subscriber gets 4 issues anyway.

Another project is a new thread "Graphics Card Roundup - 2012" (I won't charge you). I already posted part of it:

- Intel HD Graphics 2000 under madVR, Intel HD Graphics 3000 under madVR
- AMD Llano APU under madVR
- Stereoscopic 3D support of graphics cards
- HDMI audio summary

The thread will be an expanded version of these posts. The information is hard to find on the Internet (well, it looks like it's only me in the world who is willing to run this type of experiments).
renethx is offline  
post #18459 of 19149 Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ricabullah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally built a sandy system:

MSI: Z68A-GD65 G3
Intel: i5 2500K
Gskill: (2*4 GB) ddr3 ram 1600

However, not sure it is really future-proof; there is still a big confusion:
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=157236.0

And what if I buy a Z77 board: I will have no PCI slot to put my TV card on:
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=157449.0

EDIT: BTW, I haven't run 8 GB ram yet, on my board. (It allows only one 4GB ram on 7/64.)

Chronical Tester
ricabullah is offline  
post #18460 of 19149 Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,010
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Future-proof: Depending on the features you are expecting, 2500K may be enough? My current desktop system is 2600K + ASUS Z68 mb and I am not going to upgrade to IVB because 15% performance increase is not worth while.

And Haswell LGA 1150 new microarchitecture 22nm is coming in 2013. There is no future in IVB.

There are still many Z77 mb with legacy PCI slots.
renethx is offline  
post #18461 of 19149 Old 03-13-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ricabullah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Then, let's say my current system is future-proof until 2013.
Thanks rene!

Chronical Tester
ricabullah is offline  
post #18462 of 19149 Old 03-13-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smokarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hartford, CT USA
Posts: 3,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hi renethx,

i see some of your posts in other threads which give pieces of information on configuring madvr, lav, etc. but couldn't get complete details so i figure i ask here in your thread.

Here's my setup.

HTPC with Athlon II X4 630, 8GB RAM, Radeon 5670
Integra DHC 9.9 pre/pro
Epson 8100 Projector

HTPC -> AVR -> Projector all via HDMI

I installed MPC-HC, Lav codecs, and madVR. I followed instructions on the 'Advanced MPC-HC' thread for installation.

I am having issues with playback. My HD pictures (720p and 1080p) look grainy, has artifacts, and stutter during playback.

I don't think this is due to hardware, so my guess is I must not have configured CCC, Lav, and madVR correctly.

Do you have any suggestions? I really appreciate your feedback with these issues.

Thanks much!
smokarz is online now  
post #18463 of 19149 Old 03-17-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ricabullah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to know if it is possible to get multiple display mode with a Liano system? ( MSI A75MA-G55 plus AMD A6X4 3650) -for 3D viewing without having a discrete card + HD audio bitstreaming over an HDMI 1.3 AVR.
like;
Primary. 3D TV over DVI to HDMI adapter+ HDMI 1.4 cable
Secondary: AVR (HDMI 1.3 ) over HDMI to HDMI cable. (1.3 or 1.4)

Chronical Tester
ricabullah is offline  
post #18464 of 19149 Old 03-17-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,010
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

I would like to know if it is possible to get multiple display mode with a Liano system? ( MSI A75MA-G55 plus AMD A6X4 3650) -for 3D viewing without having a discrete card + HD audio bitstreaming over an HDMI 1.3 AVR.
like;
Primary. 3D TV over DVI to HDMI adapter+ HDMI 1.4 cable
Secondary: AVR (HDMI 1.3 ) over HDMI to HDMI cable. (1.3 or 1.4)

No, as seen in this table ("HD 6xxx in A-Series APU").
renethx is offline  
post #18465 of 19149 Old 03-17-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ricabullah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks.
Does it work then?

iGPU for video over an HDMI 1.4 cable,
a disrete card like 5450 for audio over any HDMI cable?

Chronical Tester
ricabullah is offline  
post #18466 of 19149 Old 03-17-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,010
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

Thanks.
Does it work then?

iGPU for video over an HDMI 1.4 cable,
a disrete card like 5450 for audio over any HDMI cable?

Yes.
renethx is offline  
post #18467 of 19149 Old 03-17-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ricabullah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks rene.
Then, 3D HTPC users (not gamers) will be happy with their SNB iGPUs if they have HDMI 1.3 AVRs?
No need any discrete card for HD audio in multiple display mode with Intel SNB.

Chronical Tester
ricabullah is offline  
post #18468 of 19149 Old 03-18-2012, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,010
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

Thanks rene.
Then, 3D HTPC users (not gamers) will be happy with their SNB iGPUs if they have HDMI 1.3 AVRs?
No need any discrete card for HD audio in multiple display mode with Intel SNB.

Should be clear from the table.
renethx is offline  
post #18469 of 19149 Old 03-18-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ricabullah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The last question:
What commercial 3D player supports Liano iGPU?

Chronical Tester
ricabullah is offline  
post #18470 of 19149 Old 03-18-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,010
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

The last question:
What commercial 3D player supports Liano iGPU?

At least PDVD11 and TMT5 support it. Llano iGPU is no different from the discrete version of Radeon HD 6xxx (except that it is integrated in the chip and video memory is part of the system memory).
renethx is offline  
post #18471 of 19149 Old 03-18-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ricabullah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good news, thanks.
My SNB system doesn't work with any player on my frame -sequential Acer 5360 PJ in 3D mode while all players work on my 3D Panny TV. (PDVD12, TMT5, WinDVD11.)

Chronical Tester
ricabullah is offline  
post #18472 of 19149 Old 03-20-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 9,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
amazon $10 GC for $5. Just thought I'd post it here in case it gets missed.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #18473 of 19149 Old 03-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Member
 
gtmtnbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking at the buyers_guide_htpc_11-10.pdf and I think there's a typo in one of the charts.

If you compare Figures 31 & 47, the column for Intel I3-2105, Z68 has an "x" for 720p 120Hz AFS in figure 31 but it's an "O" in figure 47. I think Figure 47 is the incorrect one.

In terms of cost, do one tend to find more bargains/deals with the ATX line of components? I've been following slickdeals.net and it seems that most of the deals are for ATX motherboards, power supplies, cases, etc.
gtmtnbiker is offline  
post #18474 of 19149 Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Member
 
rubberneck92105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

I apologize for the long delay of the new release. There have been so few new product this winter (AMD Radeon HD 7900/7800/7700 is the only major one) and even if I updated it every month, there would be very little change of the contents. The release plan is

- March (realistically by 20th): One issue will be released.
- April-June: Intel Ivy Bridge/Z77 chipset (quad core) and AMD Trinity are going to be released. Perhaps I will update the guide every month.

I will make sure every 4-month subscriber gets 4 issues anyway.

Another project is a new thread "Graphics Card Roundup - 2012" (I won't charge you). I already posted part of it:

- Intel HD Graphics 2000 under madVR, Intel HD Graphics 3000 under madVR
- AMD Llano APU under madVR
- Stereoscopic 3D support of graphics cards
- HDMI audio summary

The thread will be an expanded version of these posts. The information is hard to find on the Internet (well, it looks like it's only me in the world who is willing to run this type of experiments).

Hello, any update on the March release? I just purchased a 1 month issue and the Oct/Nov 2011 issue was downloaded, which I already have.

Will I be able to download the March version once posted? Thanks
rubberneck92105 is offline  
post #18475 of 19149 Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Member
 
jmpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well i3 2105 is great but to be honest is to much powerfull just only for htpc. I need another pc to work and i haven't to much money, so i am thinking in buy a h61 motherboard and a intel celerom.

What are the diference in celerom models? What models have hd2000 and hd3000?
jmpa is offline  
post #18476 of 19149 Old 03-25-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ricabullah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpa View Post

Well i3 2105 is great but to be honest is to much powerfull just only for htpc. I need another pc to work and i haven't to much money, so i am thinking in buy a h61 motherboard and a intel celerom.

What are the diference in celerom models? What models have hd2000 and hd3000?

None of those Celerons has hd 2000 or hd 3000 but just Intel HD Graphics (SNB).
Here is the comparison chart:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/53414,53415,53416

Chronical Tester
ricabullah is offline  
post #18477 of 19149 Old 03-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Member
 
jmpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricabullah View Post

None of those Celerons has hd 2000 or hd 3000 but just Intel HD Graphics (SNB).
Here is the comparison chart:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/53414,53415,53416

Thanks. Do you think is it enough with a H61 mb? Is able to play bluray movies?
jmpa is offline  
post #18478 of 19149 Old 03-25-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ricabullah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpa View Post

Thanks. Do you think is it enough with a H61 mb? Is able to play bluray movies?

H61 matches to Celerons but Celeron doesn't support inTru 3D (Blu-ray 3D).

Chronical Tester
ricabullah is offline  
post #18479 of 19149 Old 03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Member
 
drtaau3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some HELP!!
Went with renethx media server guide from a couple of years ago. Just got it up and running a few months back. Everything was great!

Problem-- Every time I try to rip a movie to the server with clone it fails. (cyclic redundancy error)(drives 5&6)
Drives check out fine though - 6 Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB
connected with a supermicro aoc-saslp-mv8 firmware (3.1.0.21) card seems to drop drives.
on a GIGABYTE GA-MA780G-UD3H AMD 780G board.
Running W7 32bit
Ripping over network to server, no probs 245 movies so far, then wham!
Just cant seem to figure out what has gone wrong.
Please HELP!! Not sure if I should have even posted here, best thread for htpc though!
Any suggestions, experience, or curse words will be greatly appreciated.
drtaau3 is offline  
post #18480 of 19149 Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
tomandbeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtaau3 View Post

Need some HELP!!
Went with renethx media server guide from a couple of years ago. Just got it up and running a few months back. Everything was great!

Problem-- Every time I try to rip a movie to the server with clone it fails. (cyclic redundancy error)(drives 5&6)
Drives check out fine though - 6 Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB
connected with a supermicro aoc-saslp-mv8 firmware (3.1.0.21) card seems to drop drives.
on a GIGABYTE GA-MA780G-UD3H AMD 780G board.
Running W7 32bit
Ripping over network to server, no probs 245 movies so far, then wham!
Just cant seem to figure out what has gone wrong.
Please HELP!! Not sure if I should have even posted here, best thread for htpc though!
Any suggestions, experience, or curse words will be greatly appreciated.

Not being a smart a**, but did you try googling the error?

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...dundancy+error
tomandbeth is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off