gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Yes. On that Asus board you can run the higher speed memory no problem.

Go ahead and turn it back up to full speed.

Will do (with fingers crossed ).

Quote:

I would then reinstall it in a different slot, and completely re-install all the drives and software per the intructions.

Give it a second shot. Something funny might have just happened the first go around.

Normally I would give it a second shot. But in looking around elsewhere, but my confidence in E-MU wasn't too high to begin with. Just tracking down drivers for the card was a PITA - the card is sold individually (as just a digital in/out card) or bundled with either a daughter card or external box to handle analog in/out. If you try to find drivers for the base card on their site, you'll come up empty and until I realized that it's also sold bundled I was concerned that I might be stuck with the older drivers it came with on CD. My confidence level is a ~bit~ higher (though perhaps misguided...) that an Asus card will work well with an Asus motherboard.

Quote:

Where in MA you live? East or West?

East - I'm in Billerica.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18542 of 19132 Old 04-25-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Yeah, the motherboard definitely supports 2133 (and faster).

No, I can't use HDMI audio in this system. This isn't being used in my home theater system, it's the my main PC in my home office that gets used for web browsing, video editing, photo editing, listening to music, software development, etc. The audio goes into a Benchmark DAC1 (that I'm currently trying out) and then into an analog only audio system (NAD M3 integrated amp and Focal 1027i speakers). I could probably just use digital out on the integrated motherboard audio to the external DAC, but would prefer to use a separate sound card. I've ordered an Asus XONAR ESSENCE STX from Amazon and should have it tomorrow. If the analog audio on the XONAR is good enough, the Benchmark DAC1 might go back - we'll see.

I use a Asus Xonar ST in one of my servers (located in my office closet) so I can listen to music via my Senn 580 CANS while working. Sound through the phone jack is wonderful. If you decide that you must have the spdif out take a look at musical fidelity's v-link or the M2Tech HiFace USB to Spdif device, both have excellent reviews and purported low jitter and pass the audio through unmolested.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #18543 of 19132 Old 04-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any update as to when the next guide will be out? Just bought the 4 issue subscription so I can start planning my build, but am hoping for a update so I can purchase parts in the next week or so. Thanks!
post #18544 of 19132 Old 04-27-2012, 03:01 PM

I have this CPU/MOBO combo and I'm trying to send audio to my receiver through the Digital Optical output of this HTPC.
  • Core i3-2105
  • GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3

The issue is, I'm only able to output 2 channel sound instead of 5.1 and I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
post #18545 of 19132 Old 04-29-2012, 01:19 PM

I plan on getting the next guide when it comes out, but in the mean time... what is the going recommendation for a single slot, bit-streaming card that will do 3D?

Thanks.
post #18546 of 19132 Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 PM

Very helpful
post #18547 of 19132 Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 AM

Is an Radeon HD 4550 adequate for 1080p h.264 DXVA playback?

thx
post #18548 of 19132 Old 05-04-2012, 05:03 AM

Just bought a new Z77 MB for an HTPC, that will serve as my main computer as well as recording TV with a Ceton tuner and Win7 MC. I had wanted to use the Intel HD 4000 internal graphics, driving my computer monitor via DisplayPort (since apparently DisplayPort supports higher resolutions than HDMI).
But after getting display errors when trying to play back "protected content" I discovered the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2392252, which basically says "Windows 7 Media Center does not recognize a DisplayPort as being HDCP compliant; it only recognizes DVI and HDMI as HDCP compliant."

This is a bit of a problem because I want to use an high resolution monitor (haven't bought that yet), but I would need to use DisplayPort (instead of HMDI) to support the resolution - and DisplayPort is apparently crippled when it comes to using Media Center...
post #18549 of 19132 Old 05-04-2012, 11:04 AM

Liked: 11
What kind of resolution are you talking about? I bet HDMI supports it fine.
post #18550 of 19132 Old 05-04-2012, 12:13 PM

Many of the newer 27 & 30" monitors support 2560x1440 as native resolution, and that's what I'm looking for. Problem is that while the HDMI standard apparently can support even higher resolutions, a lot of manufacturers haven't fully implemented the standard, and it's a bit confusing to be sure if it will work for sure - and I don't want to buy an expensive monitor without being sure...
post #18551 of 19132 Old 05-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

what is the tallest full tower i can buy for a media server? brand and model please.
post #18552 of 19132 Old 05-04-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

East - I'm in Billerica.

Not to be confused with near where I live: "Billerica-by-the-Sea" (aka Hampton Beach).

post #18553 of 19132 Old 05-05-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSanford View Post

Just bought a new Z77 MB for an HTPC, that will serve as my main computer as well as recording TV with a Ceton tuner and Win7 MC. I had wanted to use the Intel HD 4000 internal graphics, driving my computer monitor via DisplayPort (since apparently DisplayPort supports higher resolutions than HDMI).
But after getting display errors when trying to play back "protected content" I discovered the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2392252, which basically says "Windows 7 Media Center does not recognize a DisplayPort as being HDCP compliant; it only recognizes DVI and HDMI as HDCP compliant."

This is a bit of a problem because I want to use an high resolution monitor (haven't bought that yet), but I would need to use DisplayPort (instead of HMDI) to support the resolution - and DisplayPort is apparently crippled when it comes to using Media Center...

If you are only expierencing the errors with WMC there are many other options like Media Portal or JRiver.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #18554 of 19132 Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi everyone,

I bought the most recent edition and am looking forward to the update. $4 is nothing compared to the wealth of information in the guide.

My system was assembled three years ago and has been only incrementally upgraded since then. It should be plenty good enough for anything I'm doing, but I'm getting odd freezes in MPH-HC and a few other players, though WMC is always rock solid (but, no subtitles there without add-ons I'm afraid would make it susceptible to the problems I see elsewhere). I'm not the only one with the MPC-HC etc. issues and some suggest it is correllated to the use of AMD CPU, possibly in combination with ATI graphics.

So I'm thinking to swap out GPU/MB/CPU. Possibly start with the GPU first.

My rig is as follows:

W7 RTM x32 Home Premium,
Athlon X2 Kuma 2.7 GHz,
Gigabyte MA78GPM-UD2H microATX
Sapphire 5670 HDMI to Panasonic 50" 1080i Plasma, TOSlink to Onkyo SR603B (DTS/DD only)
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK
System SSD: CT064M4SSD2
Pair of Caviar Greens for storage
LG H20L Blueray SATA drive
CORSAIR|CMPSU-450VX 450W RT

So I've been thinking of switching either to NVidia graphics (just swap the card) or maybe swap the CPU/MB to an Intel chipset.

Thoughts on this? I guess I'll be swapping the memory too...

Any advice appreciated!

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #18555 of 19132 Old 05-09-2012, 07:33 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161289

I have this for a year, it works great but i like to upgrade to fully DTS sound , any recommendation?

I have someone showing me with 2 cards
1.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121397
2.http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeo.../dp/B004VQECCG

Thanks
post #18556 of 19132 Old 05-11-2012, 02:41 AM

I am building a server almost identical to the 20-bay hot swap tower as seen in your guide I purchased. For the Norco SS-500's it is my understanding that you only need to use one of the two 4 pin molex power connectors?

If this is correct, what is the general recommended method here? Just use one connector, or use both? If it's both do you plug in separate power plugs to each or use a splitter?

According to the Norco site it says they are redundant power connectors so does that mean it would need a second PSU to be effective when using both inputs? Or, would plugging in one molex cable from a single PSU to one input on the SS-500, and a second molex cable from the same PSU to the other PSU work?

Hope this makes sense as I am obviously confused so I hope I explained it well.
post #18557 of 19132 Old 05-11-2012, 05:03 PM

Confirmed with Norco directly that you only need to use one of the molex connectors for power. The other one is for systems with two PSU's.
post #18558 of 19132 Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody have an update on Renethx? I hope he's OK...

post #18559 of 19132 Old 05-15-2012, 01:36 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSanford View Post

My experience is that Displayport and DVI will support the maximum resolution of a high resolution monitor, whereas HDMI will not.

I personally use a Dell UltraSharp U3011 with a AMD Radeon HD 6850 GPU. The monitor will support the maximum resolution of 2560 X 1600 via the DisplayPort and DVI connections, but will only support 1920 X 1200 via HDMI. I am currently using the DisplayPort connection, but will switch over to DVI because I have discovered the DisplayPort to not be 100% reliable regarding monitor power save state.

Still Learning
post #18560 of 19132 Old 05-21-2012, 10:55 AM

I'm in the process of setting up a Dell Optiplex 780 (http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/optiplex-780/pd) to be used for watching and recording HDTV. I realize its not the ultimate device, but I only want to buy a tuner, not another computer. It only has one PCIe slot. It has two additional PCI slots, but it seems that I'm better off getting a USB tuner than a PCI tuner. Here are the two setups that I see happening, and I wondered which would be best. I'm probably going to go with Win7 and Windows Media Center. The computer has 8 gigs of RAM.

1) Onboard Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 (analog VGA at 1680x1050) and AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet A118 (PCIe)

2) Radeon HD 3450 (256meg of video ram) (digital DVI at 1680x1050) (PCIe) and WinTV-HVR-850(USB).

The dual tuners of the Duet would be nice, but not required. Setup 1 is what I hope is best, but I'm not sure if the onboard video is good enough to handle video playback recorded by the tuner.

Thanks.

Edit: Anyone? I'm itching to buy a tuner.
post #18561 of 19132 Old 05-24-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Anybody have an update on Renethx? I hope he's OK...

I second the motion. I have been wondering the same thing. I check almost everyday. I did a search and found he has not posted since March 29. I hope he returns because I love his guide. It is the best and it is sorely missed. I buy everything based on its up to date insightful information. I have certainly learned a lot from the effort.

I kept the guides on my Macbook Pro and let a friend do an operating system upgrade on it. I know my friend intentionally deleted the guides because he is jealous and cannot believe anybody knows more about hardware than he. Some people are crazy. I did not have the guides backed up but I know copies of them are still available for download and therefor they can be replaced, but renethx cannot be replaced and neither can the potential for any future guides.

I know how this is rambling but I mean what I say. No one could buy the priceless guidance and information supplied by renethx. I am sure few were willing to show there support economically for renethx's hard work and dedication. I know I could have done better support wise. I'm not even sure I gave any financial support prior to the implementation of the meager charges for the guides. These guides and what renethx has done is priceless. I would be willing to try to do a whole lot better on the financial support side of things if renethx were to reappear because his hardware assistance and guidance is invaluable, another word for priceless. I'm lazy, I want the guide. What am I supposed to do? renethx please come back. I would hate to be on my own and retailers will be missing out on a lot of sales because I purchase a lot of hardware based on the recommendations. I don't know where you are or where to find. You are my best friend on AVS Forum. Anyway thanks. renethx you are the original. Not anyone like you in the whole world.
post #18562 of 19132 Old 05-24-2012, 10:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocka2 View Post

I second the motion. I have been wondering the same thing. I check almost everyday. I did a search and found he has not posted since March 29. I hope he returns because I love his guide. It is the best and it is sorely missed. I buy everything based on its up to date insightful information. I have certainly learned a lot from the effort.

I kept the guides on my Macbook Pro and let a friend do an operating system upgrade on it. I know my friend intentionally deleted the guides because he is jealous and cannot believe anybody knows more about hardware than he. Some people are crazy. I did not have the guides backed up but I know copies of them are still available for download and therefor they can be replaced, but renethx cannot be replaced and neither can the potential for any future guides.

I know how this is rambling but I mean what I say. No one could buy the priceless guidance and information supplied by renethx. I am sure few were willing to show there support economically for renethx's hard work and dedication. I know I could have done better support wise. I'm not even sure I gave any financial support prior to the implementation of the meager charges for the guides. These guides and what renethx has done is priceless. I would be willing to try to do a whole lot better on the financial support side of things if renethx were to reappear because his hardware assistance and guidance is invaluable, another word for priceless. I'm lazy, I want the guide. What am I supposed to do? renethx please come back. I would hate to be on my own and retailers will be missing out on a lot of sales because I purchase a lot of hardware based on the recommendations. I don't know where you are or where to find. You are my best friend on AVS Forum. Anyway thanks. renethx you are the original. Not anyone like you in the whole world.

I agree. Renethx is a treasured resource. I have paid the asking price twice for the guide but access to Rene in this forum is worth much more. I received helpful information via personal message more than once that saved my project. I hope to hear from him soon.
post #18563 of 19132 Old 05-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Given his abrupt and prolonged departure from the board and no news of him elsewhere I reluctantly presume he had a health or legal issue that prevents him from posting. I wish him well. I did donate in the old days... maybe I can scare up an email addy from an exchange I had with him.

post #18564 of 19132 Old 05-31-2012, 06:33 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Given his abrupt and prolonged departure from the board and no news of him elsewhere I reluctantly presume he had a health or legal issue that prevents him from posting. I wish him well. I did donate in the old days... maybe I can scare up an email addy from an exchange I had with him.

Were you able to make contact?

I'm old.
Was trained on vacuum tubes.
Most everything I've worked on is in the museum or on the History Channel.
post #18565 of 19132 Old 05-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Sent email over the weekend. No reply.

post #18566 of 19132 Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 PM

hi

not sure where this thread is headed...

In the current day HTPC setup the front end is a cheap system similar to a roku/appletv/ hacked or a raspberry pi or something of that sort to connect to the TV, and the backend is a powerful server
with tons of storage, which can be accessible reliably over the home network...

The guide (which now seems to be donateware, which is fine by me) should now include a workstation which can
1. have lots of storage
2. have very high cpu power to do some mpeg4 level encoding/transcoding
3. preferably run a lightweight linux like ubuntu-server or debian, with a light weight kernel, with webmin or something for management.
4. not have any or minimal graphics.

me being a developer, I also like to run a couple of vm's on such a server, one which is a web-server for some devel activities and another which is just a internet cache and misc stuff.

I am really a fan of server boards, but these dont come cheap.... but anyways...

My newest toy is the raspberry pi, and am working on getting openelec running on it and hopefully it will replace my htpc...

G
cool.gif
post #18567 of 19132 Old 06-07-2012, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you may be misunderstanding the point of the guide itself. It is mainly focused on the components needed to build the front end, the "HD HTPC" if you will. The added benefit is there is a lot of additional info on building the backend or "server" side.

It is split into 2 sections, the "HD HTPC" section and the "Server" section. There is also a "workstation" section that is a compromise between HTPC and Server.

The first (which this thread is mostly focused on) is the recommendations for the front end or client. This device (similar to a roku, etc) is minimalistic, but must include hardware capable of playing back bluray, dvd, etc. and be small and silent. Therefore you will see in the guides that the recommendation is for mini or micro-atx motherboards with integrated HD graphics or a fanless graphics card, SSDs for speed and silence, etc.

The second part of the guide is focused on the "server" side and incorporates huge towers and power supplies full of HDD's and raid cards. These machines also have the hardware capacity for mpeg4 level encoding, etc.

The device you are describing can easily be achieved by simply including a more powerful processor in one of the "server" machines detailed in the guide. Of course, the downside to this is that you have a higher energy consumption 24/7 because the server is expected to be powered on all day.

Quote:
hi

not sure where this thread is headed...

In the current day HTPC setup the front end is a cheap system similar to a roku/appletv/ hacked or a raspberry pi or something of that sort to connect to the TV, and the backend is a powerful server
with tons of storage, which can be accessible reliably over the home network...

The guide (which now seems to be donateware, which is fine by me) should now include a workstation which can
1. have lots of storage
2. have very high cpu power to do some mpeg4 level encoding/transcoding
3. preferably run a lightweight linux like ubuntu-server or debian, with a light weight kernel, with webmin or something for management.
4. not have any or minimal graphics.

me being a developer, I also like to run a couple of vm's on such a server, one which is a web-server for some devel activities and another which is just a internet cache and misc stuff.

I am really a fan of server boards, but these dont come cheap.... but anyways...

My newest toy is the raspberry pi, and am working on getting openelec running on it and hopefully it will replace my htpc...

G
post #18568 of 19132 Old 06-07-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Hi everybody,

I was extremely busy in April and May and had no time to reply to your messages. I apologize for that. Now I went back to normal and I will resume updating the guide soon.
boldaslove likes this.
post #18569 of 19132 Old 06-07-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 316
post #18570 of 19132 Old 06-07-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold