post #19051 of 19149 Old 10-15-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

7790 might be better (not a big price difference)

You can get one for $100 if you catch a sale. The Asus 1GB seems to get recommended often for HTPC because it's quiet under video playback.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121727

Also,

This looks like a decent option for $85

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150670

Another nice thing about the 7790 is it will support AMDs new audio HD capabilities, as it is a mid-generation card. The other 7xx0 series wont.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19052 of 19149 Old 10-16-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

Another nice thing about the 7790 is it will support AMDs new audio HD capabilities, as it is a mid-generation card. The other 7xx0 series wont.

I was not aware if this . Thanks.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #19053 of 19149 Old 10-16-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

7790 might be better (not a big price difference)

You can get one for $100 if you catch a sale. The Asus 1GB seems to get recommended often for HTPC because it's quiet under video playback.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121727

Also,

This looks like a decent option for $85

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150670

Could you please elaborate a bit what these new audio HD capabilities are?

_______
Axel

post #19054 of 19149 Old 10-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Personally,
unless you need more speed/capabilities, I would move the boot drive to a 120 GB SSD (~$75) and put in a couple of 3 TB HDs at around $100 each for storage. With Blu Ray, you can never have too much storage.

Would a modern 120 GB boot SSD be noticeably faster than my existing 64 GB SSD (Crucial, from ~2 years ago)? Storage wise, no need for the 3 TB HDs at all... the 2.5 GB total storage I've got now is plenty. I don't hold stuff on the system for long.

I've been eyeing the newer Intel systems with some envy... not sure why, since I don't have major problems at the moment.

I have an extra 64 GB SSD (Patriot brand)... been thinking of trying a fresh install of Win7 x64 (I'm 32 bit at the moment) with LAV filters and seeing how my current rig performs. Might be fun, if I can find the time.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #19055 of 19149 Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
No,
I have X25-Ms, Sandisk Extreme, and Samsung 840, and they are all so much faster than a hard drive it doesn't matter which I am using.

No reason not to be x64 any more. I've been on x64 since the introduction of Win 7.

AMD has built an audio co-processor into their latest round of chips, to accelerate audio the same way a 3d card accelerates video and off-loads the CPU. It has been introduced, but noting supports it yet. It should do real-time 3D audio (say 7.1 mixing) for games using hardware acceleration. Would I go out and buy a new card just to get it - no, certainly not now - but if deciding between a 7770 and a 7790 and the difference in price is $20 or less, then the chance of using the feature in the future would be worth a few $.
post #19056 of 19149 Old 10-18-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post

Would a modern 120 GB boot SSD be noticeably faster than my existing 64 GB SSD (Crucial, from ~2 years ago)? Storage wise, no need for the 3 TB HDs at all... the 2.5 GB total storage I've got now is plenty. I don't hold stuff on the system for long.

I've been eyeing the newer Intel systems with some envy... not sure why, since I don't have major problems at the moment.

I have an extra 64 GB SSD (Patriot brand)... been thinking of trying a fresh install of Win7 x64 (I'm 32 bit at the moment) with LAV filters and seeing how my current rig performs. Might be fun, if I can find the time.

Marc

A modern 128GB is faster than an older 64GB but the difference is small. It's no where near the difference between HDD and SSD in the first place. You are splitting hairs. Needing more size is a better reason to upgrade from 64GB SSD to 128GB IMO. You could actually use that 64GB as a SSD CACHE on a HDD to speed it up biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #19057 of 19149 Old 10-24-2013, 03:14 PM

Liked: 11
I have a question about SACD playback, is it possible to send DSD bitstream natvie without convert to PCM from integrated soundcard like Realtek ALC889 through HDMI to receiver which support DSD playback ?

Sony 46HX850 | Sony 46Z4500 | Onkyo 905, Monitor Audio RX8 + RX LCR | Logitech Z-680 | HTPC: (Core i5 4570S, Asus H87M-PRO, 4GB, Intel X25-M 80GB SSD, WD20EARS, Pionner BDC-202, Antec Fusion Remote Black)
post #19058 of 19149 Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 AM

Liked: 10

Is this guide still being updated? From the front page looks like 2011 was the last. More then willing to donate if I could get a current guide to help me out.

Here is what I am looking to do:

Looking to build a new HTPC / DVR with the InfiniTV 6. Would need it to replace my current Cable DVR (would like to record 6 channels at once) , be able to record HD programming, lots of storage (would like to store my full BR collection), stream to other TV's via extender (Xbox 360).  I know I want to run Win 7 or 8 for Media Center (unless there is a better app for TV). Also something like XBMC for movies. I am very new to all of this, I was about to buy one of the new TiVo's and in the review section someone posted that a HTPC/DVR would be a better way to spend my money. My research brought me here :) I have built many gaming PCs in the pat  so building will not be an issue, just want to get the right parts for the job.

Price range - $500-$800 (Not incl. the InfiniTV 6)

post #19059 of 19149 Old 10-25-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunkshin View Post

Is this guide still being updated? From the front page looks like 2011 was the last. More then willing to donate if I could get a current guide to help me out.

Here is what I am looking to do:

Looking to build a new HTPC / DVR with the InfiniTV 6. Would need it to replace my current Cable DVR (would like to record 6 channels at once) , be able to record HD programming, lots of storage (would like to store my full BR collection), stream to other TV's via extender (Xbox 360).  I know I want to run Win 7 or 8 for Media Center (unless there is a better app for TV). Also something like XBMC for movies. I am very new to all of this, I was about to buy one of the new TiVo's and in the review section someone posted that a HTPC/DVR would be a better way to spend my money. My research brought me here smile.gif I have built many gaming PCs in the pat  so building will not be an issue, just want to get the right parts for the job.

Price range - $500-$800 (Not incl. the InfiniTV 6)

I thought your BD storage requirements alone would blow the budget, but a 2 TB drive would be able to store 40 (50 GB) BD discs. I only have one BD disc and maybe 20 DVDs, but would like to build a back-end media server someday with most of the storage to hold my 1200+ CD collection which is already overflowing out of my bedroom office to a 3rd bedroom. Even allowing for growth up to 1500 CDs, at full capacity of 800 MB per disc (78 minutes, but many discs are less than 45 minutes), that only requires 1.2 TB storage, so I think a 2 TB drive would be sufficient to hold all my CDs and any future ones I record in my lifetime. Perhaps 3 x 2TB drives would be enough for me (2 x TB drives in RAID to store the CD collection and a 2 TB drive for DVRing HDTV content).
post #19060 of 19149 Old 11-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi Guys

Just ordered one of these cases http://lime-technology.com/d-316m-server-case/ (iStarUSA 3U). I'm planning to run it as (at least) a server with FlexRaid and migrate about 4TB from unRaid on HP microserver.

I'll probably use it as my main HTPC too (in rack in basement, so noise is no issue) and move the existing HTPC from the rack up to master bed. I have 2 HomeRunHDs so I can spread the recording between the two. There will only be two people streaming (max 3 if we have an overnight guest) and I'm not planning any transcoding at this point (if I do in future, I will upgrade to i7)

I don't have any 3D and not interested in MadVR. My BD's are all ISO and I hope to use HPC-HC as my external player with MB3

I need to find a microATX LG1150 MB with HDMI and as many SATA ports as possible (have 10 3.5" slots and 2x2.5" hot swap) - any suggestions?

Also need to find a PSU - wouldn't mind some hints on this?

Processor wise, I'm thinking of going with an i3. Probably 8GB RAM - do I need DDR3?

Disk-wise, I'm moving disks from unRAID once I clear data off. I don't really see the benefit of SSD for boot if it's always on. Anyone disagree?

I'm switching to FlexRaid, as I want run crashplan and other easily available Windows progs, as well as not having to worry about hardware I want not having Linux drivers. I do like unRaid and being able to boot from a flash drive, etc. but I think everything will just be a lot easier with FlexRaid, as everything else is all Windows (and iOS)

TIA

Mark
post #19061 of 19149 Old 11-02-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
That's expensive for a chassis, and most uATX mobos are only 4 ports, so you'll need an HBA to get you to 12.
If not transcoding and just using it to serve out to the HTPC, then the cheapest Pentium would do. I use a G1610 in mine and it's fine.
No need for an SSD if on 24/7. I sleep mine when not in use, so I have one.
No need for 8G RAM, 4 would do. DDR 2 and 3 are not much difference in price so I'd just go for the 3.
You won't need much of a PSU. 400W would do. Corsair CX perhaps.
post #19062 of 19149 Old 11-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

That's expensive for a chassis, and most uATX mobos are only 4 ports, so you'll need an HBA to get you to 12.
If not transcoding and just using it to serve out to the HTPC, then the cheapest Pentium would do. I use a G1610 in mine and it's fine.
No need for an SSD if on 24/7. I sleep mine when not in use, so I have one.
No need for 8G RAM, 4 would do. DDR 2 and 3 are not much difference in price so I'd just go for the 3.
You won't need much of a PSU. 400W would do. Corsair CX perhaps.

Thanks. Didn't look that expensive to me once you add in hot swap bays. I've read lots of bad thing about Norco. I'm sure I could have saved $100, but I really like the look of this one too.

Could you elaborate on the HBA?
post #19063 of 19149 Old 11-02-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

Thanks. Didn't look that expensive to me once you add in hot swap bays. I've read lots of bad thing about Norco. I'm sure I could have saved $100, but I really like the look of this one too.
Only 10 drive bays, limited to mini or micro ATX mobo, seems expensive to me. Especially when an RPC4224 with 24 hot swap drive bays is the same price and can take larger mobos. Whilst I am far from an expert on Norco gear, I have not seen anything particularly bad about the Norco chassis and I did a bit of googling some time back to check as I was interested in buying one. I eventually went a different route as I didn't need rack mounting and mine was cheaper by about $300.
Quote:

Could you elaborate on the HBA?
Host Bus Adapter. PCIe device that allows additional SATA ports. Search on M1015 or H200/H310.
Using an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 with 8 SATA and two HBA, I have a total of 24 ports available.

Read Mfusicks 30TB server thread here.
post #19064 of 19149 Old 11-03-2013, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Only 10 drive bays, limited to mini or micro ATX mobo, seems expensive to me. Especially when an RPC4224 with 24 hot swap drive bays is the same price and can take larger mobos. Whilst I am far from an expert on Norco gear, I have not seen anything particularly bad about the Norco chassis and I did a bit of googling some time back to check as I was interested in buying one. I eventually went a different route as I didn't need rack mounting and mine was cheaper by about $300.
Host Bus Adapter. PCIe device that allows additional SATA ports. Search on M1015 or H200/H310.
Using an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 with 8 SATA and two HBA, I have a total of 24 ports available.

Read Mfusicks 30TB server thread here.

Thanks for reply. I was going to go with Norco, but read so many reviews that said the build quality was dreadful. Not concerned about Mobo size really as only thing I'm likely to add is HBA. Regarding no of bays, I think 12 (2 in center too) will last me for a very long time. That's at least 30TB. By the time I hit that, I'm sure I'll want to upgrade again
post #19065 of 19149 Old 11-03-2013, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have been running the Norco case for 3+ years now. After getting over the initial build quality issues (front USB doesn't work and a bad SAS backplane), the case has been trouble free. However, if I had to do it over again, I would probably spend more money on a SuperMicro case just to avoid the headache of trying to diagnose a problem when you are just starting out. Luckily, I started out with enough drives to discover a bad SAS backplane, otherwise if I waited to buy drives as I went along, I may not have discovered the problem until the warranty had expired.

Still Learning
post #19066 of 19149 Old 11-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

I have been running the Norco case for 3+ years now. After getting over the initial build quality issues (front USB doesn't work and a bad SAS backplane), the case has been trouble free. However, if I had to do it over again, I would probably spend more money on a SuperMicro case just to avoid the headache of trying to diagnose a problem when you are just starting out. Luckily, I started out with enough drives to discover a bad SAS backplane, otherwise if I waited to buy drives as I went along, I may not have discovered the problem until the warranty had expired.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Last thing I want to do is get it, prepare everything to start the build and find that kind of stuff. Their QA seems abysmal (assuming they have any)
post #19067 of 19149 Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

As I said, it's up to each user. Personally I prefer ISO because of the maximum compatibility/convenience. Ripping BR 3D in folder is not recommended because of a larger file size; ISO is recommended. Some people hate the extra process of mounting the image, but this will be the past story with Windows 8 (and XBMC already supports ISO natively and nobody notices a time lag by this process).

ImgBurn?

Hi Renethx

I have same opinion as you. What's the best current, external player (most seemless, access to all audio and video stream, chapter support, etc.). I don't mind paying for software if it works

Thanks

Mark
post #19068 of 19149 Old 11-04-2013, 02:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi Guys

Just ordered one of these cases http://lime-technology.com/d-316m-server-case/ (iStarUSA 3U). I'm planning to run it as (at least) a server with FlexRaid and migrate about 4TB from unRaid on HP microserver.

I need to find a microATX LG1150 MB with HDMI and as many SATA ports as possible (have 10 3.5" slots and 2x2.5" hot swap) - any suggestions?

The case you listed only has 10 + 2 bays - you may as well just use a normal $100 tower case, unless you really need the hot swap (once your server is up and running, you'll probably never touch the drives).

Something like http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mid-tower/silencio-550.html comes with 7 x 3.5" bays and 3 x 5.25" (which are easily converted to 5 x 3.5") - giving you the same 12 bay total for a quarter of the cost. It'll be much quieter too.
post #19069 of 19149 Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomgle View Post

The case you listed only has 10 + 2 bays - you may as well just use a normal $100 tower case, unless you really need the hot swap (once your server is up and running, you'll probably never touch the drives).

Something like http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mid-tower/silencio-550.html comes with 7 x 3.5" bays and 3 x 5.25" (which are easily converted to 5 x 3.5") - giving you the same 12 bay total for a quarter of the cost. It'll be much quieter too.

Bit late, as I said, I already ordered it. I want it rackmounted. It's in basement, so noise is not an issue. I have 2 3.5 to 2x2.5 adapters so potentially 14 drives. I'd pay extra for something that fits and looks better any day and drive trays. Drives fail, and I'm initially populating with some 2 and 3TB drives and filling up with spare 250GB and 500GB. When I run out of slots, I'll swap out an old small drive for a 3-4TB
post #19070 of 19149 Old 11-06-2013, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by renethx

**As I said, it's up to each user. Personally I prefer ISO because of the maximum compatibility/convenience. Ripping BR 3D in folder is not recommended because of a larger file size; ISO is recommended. Some people hate the extra process of mounting the image, but this will be the past story with Windows 8 (and XBMC already supports ISO natively and nobody notices a time lag by this process).**
Quote:

Hi Renethx

I have same opinion as you. What's the best current, external player (most seemless, access to all audio and video stream, chapter support, etc.). I don't mind paying for software if it works

Thanks

Mark

FYI

3D ISO is not supported by XBMC. You need to use external player like TMT or PowerDVD. Link
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=169506
post #19071 of 19149 Old 11-06-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

He also quote Renethx from 2012 - post is very out of date.

-

post #19072 of 19149 Old 11-18-2013, 07:23 PM

To HTPC or not to HTPC. I have an HTPC I bought about 3 or 4 years ago; however, I haven't really used it in that capacity for quite a while. Frankly, I got frustrated with spending all my time dorking with it instead of actually watching movies and went Roku, Apple TV, etc. Now, however, I'm looking back a bit because I miss XBMC and none of those devices let's me build a universal queue from Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc., the way I can simply by using bookmarks in a browser. So I hooked it all back up, but I'm having problems with the video--it stutters badly during panning scenes, regardless of which browser I use, and I'm wondering if I can upgrade my machine and solve this problem. It would suck to spend a bunch of money and wind up with video playback that can't compete with my set top boxes. Anyway, here are the specs from my machine. Any advice is appreciated. Oh, yeah, I should mention I'm using a wired connection for all of these devices. I don't remember exactly what my internet speed is, but it's decent, and as I mentioned, the quality on the set top boxes is excellent.

+ CUSTOM HTPC, Core™ i3 / i5 H55 Socket 1156 PCIe Entertainment System1$1047.52$1047.52
SILVERSTONE, Lascala LC17 Black Entertainment PC Enclosure, ATX, No PSU

OCZ, ModXStream Pro Power Supply w/ Modular Cables, 500W, 80 PLUS®, 24-pin ATX EPS12V, One 6-pin + One 8-pin PCIe, SLI Ready

INTEL, Core™ i3-530 Dual-Core 2.93GHz, HD Graphics, LGA1156, 4MB L3 Cache, 32nm, 73W, EM64T EIST HT VT XD, Retail

INTEL, DH55TC, LGA1156, Intel® H55, DDR3-1333 16GB /4, PCIe x16, SATA 3 Gb/s /6, VGA+DVI, HDMI, HDA, GbLAN, mATX, Retail

KINGSTON, 4GB (2 x 2GB) ValueRAM PC3-8500 DDR3 1066MHz CL7 (7-7-7) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

SAMSUNG, 1TB SpinPoint F3, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200-RPM, 32MB Cache, Retail

SAMSUNG, 1TB SpinPoint F3, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200-RPM, 32MB Cache, Retail

LITE-ON, iHOS104 Black 4x/8x/32x BD/DVD/CD Blu-ray Disc™ BD-ROM Drive, SATA, Retail

EDIMAX, EW-7728In Wireless Adapter, Draft 2.0 IEEE 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps, PCI

MICROSOFT, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition, OEM
post #19073 of 19149 Old 11-23-2013, 11:08 PM

Liked: 20

I constructed this Setup for about a year now, and its still functions superbly today. It is a Gaming HTPC and a few major problem that can go bad with a gaming HTPCs is cooling, too much noise, CPU coolers that can't fit  and Video Cards that are too big.

I want to share a few of my personal experiences to help build your own setup.

Before I ended up with my current build I had a number of HTPC cases and all of them had problems mostly because of they lack of cooling, the easiest way to tell which cases can support your need as a gaming setup , is how much fans you can build in to it (it's a bit bold point of view but it's still the easiest), as you can see on my images I got 4 fans that  functions as exhaust fans (the green ones) 2x12cm, 2x8cm, basically they are responsible for getting all the heat out from the case. This is the key feature you must have. At this point you probably telling yourself - with this many fans you must have a loud machine. Wrong. Here’s the thing: with this many fans I got a lot of air moving with low RPM, with this I can maintain good cooling with basically a silent running system. To maintain simplification 2 thing are generating noise "Fans and Hard Drives" as I said before to silence the fans you need to choose good quality fans and lowering there RPM if they still loud enough for you" but be mindful of the fact that "the lower the RPM the less air they move, so keep this at balance".

The Hard Drives noise is based on RPM as well a 7200rpm HDD (I think I can say it a standard thing) you will hear its noise, a 5400RPm HDD is the most silent thing you can get but at a cost - it will be less faster but with an acceptable rate (for me). Many people are using an SSD and a low RPM HDD -> with this you can maintain speed with the lowest noise possible (basically silent), this is a Good solution but it will cost you twice as much on Hard Drives. No worries though with a Sata3 5400RPM HDD you get about 150mb/s read/write speed, compare it to a Sata2 7200RPM HDD is about 110mb/s and I tested these Hard Drives on windows 7, 8 and I was a little surprised because much depended on what CPU I was actually using. I compared a “Phenom II X4 950” and a “i5 2310” with the same Hard drive and the results was like, if I had put in an SSD when I tested with the i5, really that much difference!

The last 2 things is the Power Supply and Video Card. "What PS I shloud choose ?" - the noise is depending on the size of the fan and RPM (yes again) -I have a PS that’s got a 12cm fan running  500RPM until its reaches 300W (silent you can get in my opinion) you can look up tests and sometimes the manufacturer indicates this information on there website.

The situation with the Video Card is the same thing as with the PS except two things, height and width, most HTPC cases are smaller than a standard case. “How can I tell which VGA can fit my case?” You can only be a 100% sure if someone tested the same build that your about to build, of course you can’t rely on that. So here’s the thing: PCI slot plates is the same thing every where, it has the same size at the back of a PC case or on a Video Card the images below tell the difference between a case that supports a wide VGA and one that does not.  When you look at a Video Card you can see the PCI slot plate and the cooler that’s how much above to the top of the plate.

It’s hard to explain so I put some images up to help.

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 100

CPU coolers: every cooler has information about its height and width, just look up the manufacturers website. “Why do you need this?” because an HTPC case is not supporting all the CPU coolers in the world. “How can I tell my HTPC cases exact height” – look up your manual, it will probably be in the Specifications - Limitation of CPU coolers. Most CPU coolers won’t fit in a regular HTPC case, that’s why you need to look up these informations before buying anything.

That’s it basically, if you have any questions or need more explaining just message me and I answer best I can.

Mfusick and Djoel like this.
post #19074 of 19149 Old 11-28-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisz8ball View Post

I constructed this Setup for about a year now, and its still functions superbly today. It is a Gaming HTPC and a few major problem that can go bad with a gaming HTPCs is cooling, too much noise, CPU coolers that can't fit  and Video Cards that are too big.

The situation with the Video Card is the same thing as with the PS except two things, height and width, most HTPC cases are smaller than a standard case. “How can I tell which VGA can fit my case?” You can only be a 100% sure if someone tested the same build that your about to build, of course you can’t rely on that. So here’s the thing: PCI slot plates is the same thing every where, it has the same size at the back of a PC case or on a Video Card the images below tell the difference between a case that supports a wide VGA and one that does not.  When you look at a Video Card you can see the PCI slot plate and the cooler that’s how much above to the top of the plate.

I would just add to the note about video cards--if you're going with a gaming card, watch for where any auxiliary power connectors are. My asus 7850 card fits right up against the top of my case, but the 6pin aux power connector happened to connect at the top, not the back end. So, the top of my case has a 1 inch square hole in the top (hidden in our TV stand and the bit of cord covered by black tape so it's not noticeable, but it still was a pain).
post #19075 of 19149 Old 11-28-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got 4 fans that  functions as exhaust fans (the green ones) 2x12cm, 2x8cm, basically they are responsible for getting all the heat out from the case. This is the key feature you must have. At this point you probably telling yourself - with this many fans you must have a loud machine. Wrong. Here’s the thing: with this many fans I got a lot of air moving with low RPM, with this I can maintain good cooling with basically a silent running system.

Larger fans are quieter and require less RPM to move the same air. I recommend 12 cm fans. I have 3 of them in my HTPC and I can barely hear them. In contrast, in my upstairs office bedroom, I use to have a cheap PC with 8 cm fan that sounded like a vacum cleaner and I could hear it all the way downstairs in my living room. My current PC also has 12 cm fans and the hard drives make more noise than the fans. Antec makes good quality quiet 12 cm fans.
post #19076 of 19149 Old 11-29-2013, 11:40 AM

Liked: 20

Well said guys !!

post #19077 of 19149 Old 12-09-2013, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Before I ended up with my current build I had a number of HTPC cases and all of them had problems mostly because of they lack of cooling, the easiest way to tell which cases can support your need as a gaming setup , is how much fans you can build in to it (it's a bit bold point of view but it's still the easiest), as you can see on my images I got 4 fans that  functions as exhaust fans (the green ones) 2x12cm, 2x8cm, basically they are responsible for getting all the heat out from the case. This is the key feature you must have. At this point you probably telling yourself - with this many fans you must have a loud machine. Wrong. Here’s the thing: with this many fans I got a lot of air moving with low RPM, with this I can maintain good cooling with basically a silent running system. To maintain simplification 2 thing are generating noise "Fans and Hard Drives" as I said before to silence the fans you need to choose good quality fans and lowering there RPM if they still loud enough for you" but be mindful of the fact that "the lower the RPM the less air they move, so keep this at balance".

The Hard Drives noise is based on RPM as well a 7200rpm HDD (I think I can say it a standard thing) you will hear its noise, a 5400RPm HDD is the most silent thing you can get but at a cost - it will be less faster but with an acceptable rate (for me). Many people are using an SSD and a low RPM HDD -> with this you can maintain speed with the lowest noise possible (basically silent), this is a Good solution but it will cost you twice as much on Hard Drives. No worries though with a Sata3 5400RPM HDD you get about 150mb/s read/write speed, compare it to a Sata2 7200RPM HDD is about 110mb/s and I tested these Hard Drives on windows 7, 8 and I was a little surprised because much depended on what CPU I was actually using. I compared a “Phenom II X4 950” and a “i5 2310” with the same Hard drive and the results was like, if I had put in an SSD when I tested with the i5, really that much difference!

The last 2 things is the Power Supply and Video Card. "What PS I shloud choose ?" - the noise is depending on the size of the fan and RPM (yes again) -I have a PS that’s got a 12cm fan running  500RPM until its reaches 300W (silent you can get in my opinion) you can look up tests and sometimes the manufacturer indicates this information on there website.

It’s hard to explain so I put some images up to help.

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 100

CPU coolers: every cooler has information about its height and width, just look up the manufacturers website. “Why do you need this?” because an HTPC case is not supporting all the CPU coolers in the world. “How can I tell my HTPC cases exact height” – look up your manual, it will probably be in the Specifications - Limitation of CPU coolers. Most CPU coolers won’t fit in a regular HTPC case, that’s why you need to look up these informations before buying anything.

That’s it basically, if you have any questions or need more explaining just message me and I answer best I can.

Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately, Mfusick, he NEVER care the above info and ALWAYS recommend people to buy HD 7790 for every single HTPC build. So, be careful, guys.
post #19078 of 19149 Old 12-09-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately, Mfusick, he NEVER care the above info and ALWAYS recommend people to buy HD 7790 for every single HTPC build. So, be careful, guys.

Huh rolleyes.gif

I never said that. I just said that the 7790 is typically the minimum cost GPU card than can run full MadVR levels (which is often why people want GPU cards in HTPC's)

Also, Nvidia doesn't do 0-255 levels oover HDMI and you must hack the registry to do this while Radeon does it without much trouble. Additionally, Frame rates and 3D and most everything you would care about are basically perfect out of the box on the Radeon without much tinkering or messing around with settings, hacking, or software work around and the card costs under $100 on sale (Asus 1GB was $69 last week on Newegg)

Nvidia makes a really nice card too (and has some other value to gamers) but you need at least a "Ti" version (more $$$) to run full MadVR levels. Assuming you did not mind the additional set up to get the right Nvidia card right for HTPC and you did not have a very limited budget a more powerful Nvidia card actually makes a really great HTPC card. Most of the stuff I ever said was based on someone with a limited budget looking for something cheap (under $100) and if that's what you want then the 7790 really is the best choice for HTPC and MadVR.

If you are not concerned with max levels in MadVR you can basically get any GPU card you want (but I am not sure why you would do this over simple iGPU)

I am not understanding where you comment comes from ?

-

post #19079 of 19149 Old 12-10-2013, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would like to build a mini-ITX HTPC using the ASRock Z87E-ITX and LIAN LI PC-Q12B case. The HTPC should be able to run max levels in MadVR and still be dead silent.

1. Is there a better mini-ITX motherboard in the $120 range?
  2. Any recommendation on a GPU that will fit with the selected motherboard and case?
  3. An optimal price for performance value CPU that is cool and low wattage?
  4. A maximum performance overclocking CPU with matching cooler to keep noise at a minimum?

Still Learning
post #19080 of 19149 Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

4670k with a noctua or coolermaster cooler is probably a safe bet

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page