Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm putting together plans for a new media server. Here are my goals:
* Serve WMC recorded television to 2-3 PCs
* Serve .mkv rips (DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-Ray) to 2-3 PCs, 1 Roku, and perhaps up to 2 concurrent tablets
* Serve mp3 and flac
* Data backup for 3 Windows PCs
* I have a copy of WHS2011, so would like to put it to use. Am also *NIX fluent.
* Plan to use software RAID; looking at FlexRAID (assuming I go with the Windows Server OS)
* Critical data will be backed up to a Synology 2-bay NAS that already sits on my network, and I have an offsite plan as well
* Run MediaBrowser Server, and maybe Plex Server (for the Roku)
* I might play with VMs down the road, but not initially
I know that transcoding will be required for the tablets and Roku, and was thinking about the following parts:
Intel Core i-5 4590S
ASRock Z97 Extreme 4
RAM: open to suggestions
PSU: open to suggestions...figure I will be running 5 hard drives to start.
The ASRock mobo has an Intel NIC, and I can get a good bundle price at MicroCenter. I have a Samsung 840 Pro SSD on hand for the OS drive, and an old ATX tower that I would re-purpose for the server case until I settle on a rackable case (and accumulate more storage drives).
I chose the 4590S for the lower TDP, hoping to keep the server cooler. The benchmarks are really close to the 4590, and the cost difference is only $10 more for the potentially lower long-term power bill.
Feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance!