Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server - Page 643 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19261 of 19290 Old 09-08-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Postmoderndesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
You'd probably be able to get one dirt cheap on ebay. Alternatively, pretty much any current AMD PCIe card from with a HDMI port should work for your needs. I wouldn't go with the cheapest option, but something around $50 should be plenty adequate.
Make sure the computer's power supply is adequate for whatever GPU you add.
Postmoderndesign is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19262 of 19290 Old 09-08-2014, 05:25 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,488
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Make sure the computer's power supply is adequate for whatever GPU you add.
That's a good point and a reason to stick with lower end cards.
gsr is offline  
post #19263 of 19290 Old 09-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Make sure the computer's power supply is adequate for whatever GPU you add.
How do I find out whichever one I choose will work with the power supply?
dschroed is offline  
post #19264 of 19290 Old 09-08-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Postmoderndesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschroed View Post
How do I find out whichever one I choose will work with the power supply?
The specs for the GPU will state the power requirements. The specs for the computer should state the amount of the power supply.

But, I do suggest you try to confirm the GPU will work in the computer before purchasing the GPU. I always have purchased current motherboards, CPUs and GPUs and memory at the same time. On the last update I did retain the power supply.

So, adding a GPU to an older computer is outside my experience.
Postmoderndesign is offline  
post #19265 of 19290 Old 09-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
The specs for the GPU will state the power requirements. The specs for the computer should state the amount of the power supply.

But, I do suggest you try to confirm the GPU will work in the computer before purchasing the GPU. I always have purchased current motherboards, CPUs and GPUs and memory at the same time. On the last update I did retain the power supply.

So, adding a GPU to an older computer is outside my experience.
That is why I was originally asking for advice on parts to build an HTPC
dschroed is offline  
post #19266 of 19290 Old 09-09-2014, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
Marc_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indianapolis Metro Area
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Always good to check specs but most lower end cards won't strain a tower power supply. Check back a few pages in this thread for some recent builds. Focus more on quiet fans (or no fans) in the GPU.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Marc_G is offline  
post #19267 of 19290 Old 09-09-2014, 07:01 AM
Member
 
Mike Walsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
renethx or others:

I also want to upgrade my Flexraid server as I am doing more with it these days such as SABNZB, Plex Media Server etc..
I have older H77 MB and Intel G860 CPU and it's a bit slow on occasions.

I was thinking just change CPU to Intel I5 3570K but thats a lot of extra watts that will sit unused for much of the day.

Any significantly lower wattage used but still powerful CPU options?
Why can't we buy the "T" versions of Intel CPUs?
Could I buy I5 3570K and do something like under voltage to drop power usage?

Does upgrading to H97 board give me better options?

Thanks!
Mike Walsh is offline  
post #19268 of 19290 Old 09-09-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,184
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Walsh View Post
renethx or others:

I also want to upgrade my Flexraid server as I am doing more with it these days such as SABNZB, Plex Media Server etc..
I have older H77 MB and Intel G860 CPU and it's a bit slow on occasions.

I was thinking just change CPU to Intel I5 3570K but thats a lot of extra watts that will sit unused for much of the day.

Any significantly lower wattage used but still powerful CPU options?
Why can't we buy the "T" versions of Intel CPUs?
Could I buy I5 3570K and do something like under voltage to drop power usage?

Does upgrading to H97 board give me better options?

Thanks!
Actually i5-3570 is a good choice. ('K' version is pointless because your mb is H77.) The chart from this post may be helpful:



Core i5-3470 3.2GHz-3.6GHz is $20 cheaper and is another choice. You can downclock these processors to turn them into T/S processor easily.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renethx is offline  
post #19269 of 19290 Old 09-10-2014, 02:19 AM
Newbie
 
Joe Daring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Rene, hellò everybody,

Thank you AVSForum for hosting so many clever people and interesting information!
It's nice to see this thread go full speed again and I'm looking forward to the new guide myself...

Placed some questions to Rene lately and got his competent advices, so I'm able to narrow-down my choices for a new HTPC, which is going to be actually my first one, since my Dvico TViX has given-up the ghost!

But I think it's just better to go public for my last (Hope so...) questions both to let other readers share Rene's advices on my build and to gather any other people's advice...

Focussing in an Intel NUC or a Mid-Level Intel miniITX system for now, rigged to run OpenELEC/XBMC...

So, what I'm looking for is a way to watch my medium to high quality MKVs and, to a lesser extent, old AVIs that are mostly cartoons... also,maybe, some Live TV (Free to Air) and perhaps some Internet Browsing (But I can easily rule out this for now... I learnt that OpenELEC/XBMC is not really thought for Internet Browsing)... Games are not contemplated... Files are already on my QNAP NAS and I won't need storage on the HTPC, apart the SSD for OS storage...

For Movies' watching I'm sensible to PQ, but not overly picky about that so, maybe, this may save me the hassle to go the Windows way... at least for a while...

As I said, I'm narrowing-down my options to (Taken from Rene's advices):

Intel NUC, based on Intel Haswell (mobile) processor
------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Core i3-4010U (Haswell) 2C/4T 1.7GHz 3MB Cache 15W FCBGA1168/DDR3L-1600/Intel HD Graphics 4400,
Cooler: Stock Stock cooler,
MB: Intel Next Unit of Computing Board D34010WYB UCFF, included,
Mem: G.SKILL F3-1600C9S-4GRSL SO-DIMM DDR3L-1600 CL9 4GB,
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4400 20EUs (integrated in the CPU),
SSD: Crucial M500 120GB CT120M500SSD1 120GB SATA 6.0Gb/s SSD,
(BTW, what's the difference between this SSD drive and the Crucial MX100 128GB SSD drive?)
Barebone: Intel NUC Kit D34010WYKH with Core i3-4010U / Intel HD Graphics 4400 / 2.5" Drive Support,
WiFi: INTEL N7260 board
IR System: Included in the Barebone Kit

And this is pretty finalized as a set-up, as the NUC inherently does not allow further expansions...

But I may decide for more future flexibility (Changing a faulty/obsolete MoBo or CPU, adding a Discrete GPU later if needed, having the ability to add an Optical (BR) Disk Reader to replace an aging Samsung BR Stand Alone Player... you name the possibilities)...

So, I may go for this (Again, mostly taken from Rene's advices, my questions, doubts etc. put in blue and in brackets):

Mid-Range - Intel, based on Intel Haswell (Desktop) processor and AMD Radeon R7 graphics card
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Core i3-4130 (Haswell) 2C/4T 3.4GHz 3MB Cache 54W LGA 1150/DDR3-1600/Intel HD Graphics 4400
(Going higher than this is an overkill at this moment...)
Cooler: Stock cooler,

MB: GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI or ASUS H97I-PLUS
(Which one is better suited for the task? Reasons to prefer one over the other, GPU-Wise or something else?)

Mem: G.SKILL F3-1600C9D-8GAB Ares DDR3-1600 CL9 2 x 4GB Kit,

GPU: ASUS R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5 R7 260X 2GB GDDR5,
(This is to be added at later time and if needed, I'll be using the integrated GPU to begin with...)

SSD: Crucial M500 120GB CT120M500SSD1 120GB SATA 6.0Gb/s SSD,
(Again, which one is better, this SSD drive or the Crucial MX100 128GB SSD drive?)

PSU: SilverStone ST30SF SST-ST30SF 300W 80 PLUS Bronze SFX,
(Or will change accordingly to the Case I'll chose to go with...)

Case: SilverStone Sugo SG06-LITE SST-SG06BB-LITE Mini-ITX/Mini-DTX,
(This case has both the ability to host the Discrete GPU and the BR Reader, if I decide to add these two options... what I don't like is its shape and dimensions... What's the users experience and suggestions here with not too big, HT-like, horizontally developped cases that maintain the ability to eventually host the Discrete GPU and the BR Reader???)

IR System: NONE INCLUDED
(What's best option under the initial openELEC/XBMC build? I believe that switching to Windows system later would pose few troubles... BTW, any chance to have it INTERNALLY integrated with the suggested Case/Cases? I have an Harmony Ultimate Hub-Based Remote doing most of the HT command tsks here, and it would be nice to have it working with the new HTPC too. So I won't actually need a remote... just the receiver...)

Uhmmmm... Enough questions already... I'll switch to "Listening Mode" now... ;-)

Thank you in advance, Rene and everybody willing to share some advices with me...

Best regards and happy viewing/listening!
Joe
Joe Daring is online now  
post #19270 of 19290 Old 09-10-2014, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,184
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Another system, that's more like a AV device:

CPU: Core i3-4130
CPU Cooler: Stock
MB: H97M-G43
Mem: F3-1600C9D-8GAB
GPU: R7 260X ASUS
SSD: Crucial M550 128GB
PSU: SSR-450RM
Case: Fractal Design Node 605

or

CPU: Core i3-4130
CPU Cooler: Stock
MB: Z97 Pro4
Mem: F3-1600C9D-8GAB
GPU: R7 260X ASUS
SSD: Crucial M550 128GB
PSU: SSR-450RM
Case: GD08 (deeper, supports up to 9 x 3.5" HDD, 2 x 2.5" HDD, 1 x ODD)

As for SSD, get any of the lowest price, there won't be any difference in normal HTPC usage.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renethx is offline  
post #19271 of 19290 Old 09-15-2014, 04:16 AM
Newbie
 
Joe Daring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Renethx and all,

Thank you so much for such outstanding advices I got...
After more thoughts and reading, I think I narrowed down my choices to the following components:

CPU: Core i3-4130

CPU Cooler: Stock
(Initially at least... I'll eventually go to a third party cooler if the stock one is too noisy or whatever...)

MB: MSI H97M-G43
(Actually seems a good MB... Several high-end options (M.2, more PCIe Slots, albeit two of them 1x... Only doubt is that I just read somewhere that it has just 4 SATA ports, but this info seems to be wrong to me as I see it's 6 (And more than that using the M.2 to Sata option) on MSI site... Hope I'm not wrong... 4 would sufice anyway, but having a few more may be useful in the future...)

Mem: F3-1600C9D-8GAB

GPU: Embedded Intel HD 4400 (May go for an R7 260X ASUS in the future or whatever is out in a few months from now...)

SSD: Crucial 128GB MX100

PSU: SSR-450RM

Case: Silverstone Grandia GD04 Case (Fits best my HT System...)

IR System: Still have to gather info on this, but I'll do that soon...

I realize this took a different twist from what I initially planned (Intel i3 NUC or miniITX system...) but that's the way it usually goes when I start investigating something new, and while I' still considering the i3 Intel NUC an option if I decide to keep it simple, it will be either the NUC or, in the sake of future mods/improvements/longevity, the microATX system that Rene helped to define...

I know, initial overkill, but may grant a bit more logevity keeping some components from one build to another, if necessary...

Thanks a lot again, guys... great Forum!
Joe
Joe Daring is online now  
post #19272 of 19290 Old 09-15-2014, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,184
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 370
MSI H97M-G43 has six SATA ports and all of them work unless you use an M.2 card that will disable two of them.

Just a note, you can't use a graphics card with taller heatpipes such as ASUS R7 260X DirectCU II with GD04.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by renethx; 09-15-2014 at 04:33 AM.
renethx is offline  
post #19273 of 19290 Old 09-15-2014, 08:01 AM
Newbie
 
Joe Daring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh! I knew there was still something to consider carefully...
BTW, what's your suggestion for a comparable GPU that fits the GD04?

Would one of the other R7 260X incarnations out there with no protruding pipes be ok? 1GB or 2GB versions?

This is case I need to add one....

And thanks for the confirmation that, when no M.2 option is used, the MSI H93M-G43 has 6 SATA Ports...

Ciao!
Joe
Joe Daring is online now  
post #19274 of 19290 Old 09-15-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,184
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Daring View Post
Oh! I knew there was still something to consider carefully...
BTW, what's your suggestion for a comparable GPU that fits the GD04?

Would one of the other R7 260X incarnations out there with no protruding pipes be ok? 1GB or 2GB versions?

This is case I need to add one....
XFX should be good inside GD04.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renethx is offline  
post #19275 of 19290 Old 09-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Elpee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Rene, I saw you many times recommened people to buy R7 260X card for their HTPCs. What is the most benefit of it? How to compare to things like HD-7770 or GeForce GT 730/740? (price/performance)
Thanks.
Elpee is offline  
post #19276 of 19290 Old 09-15-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,184
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post
Rene, I saw you many times recommened people to buy R7 260X card for their HTPCs. What is the most benefit of it? How to compare to things like HD-7770 or GeForce GT 730/740? (price/performance)
Thanks.
R7 260X is a rework of HD 7790. The basic performance is the same, with a couple of improvements (e.g. support for up to three HDMI displays).

GT 740 GDDR5 = GT 650, roughly equivalent to HD 7750, half the performance of R7 260X.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renethx is offline  
post #19277 of 19290 Old 09-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Elpee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
R7 260X is a rework of HD 7790. The basic performance is the same, with a couple of improvements (e.g. support for up to three HDMI displays).
When 4K contents far away to come, do you think R7 260X and/or HD 7790 are overkill ones for current HTPCs? (save money to buy, save money to pay power bills)
Elpee is offline  
post #19278 of 19290 Old 09-15-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,184
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post
When 4K contents far away to come, do you think R7 260X and/or HD 7790 are overkill ones for current HTPCs? (save money to buy, save money to pay power bills)
The answer depends on the contents you play. For FHD contents, it's overkill. For SD and HD contents, it's not overkill but just a good choice.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renethx is offline  
post #19279 of 19290 Old 09-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ruiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
rene,
Could madVR performance/capability be most simply broken down to # of graphics cores, at least on the AMD side, given all the model name/number sharing between HDxxxx and Rx yy0?
i.e. 256 cores enough for up to (x) level madVR at (x resolutions)
How integral is the VRAM interface? (ddr3 vs ddr5 for dgpus, system ddr speed for APUs)

Aside,
Opinions on the Kaveri A6 7400K? (dual steamroller core, 256 shader cores)?
Ruiner is offline  
post #19280 of 19290 Old 09-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Member
 
cu_shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rene,

I am helping someone who is new to the world of HTPCs put together their first system. Here is what I plan on recommending. Please let me know if I should make any changes.

processor $47: Intel Celeron G1840 Haswell Dual-Core 2.8GHz

motherboard $135: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac (this is the most affordable option I could find with integrated wifi and an M.2 slot, which should offer a lot of boot time and speed advantages)

memory $45: G.SKILL 2 x 2GB

Internal Blu-ray drive $40: LG UH12S30

Case including PSU (power supply unit) $55: APEX MI-008

M.2 drive for the OS $45: MyDigitalSSD 64GB

3.5" Hard drive $110: Western Digital WD Green 3TB

Remote Control (really just need it for the IR receiver, he will be using a Harmony) $9: USB PC WMC Remote

TOTAL: $486

This will be used exclusively for streaming video and for local blu-ray rips (1080p). He will be using Windows 8.1 and XBMC.
cu_shane is offline  
post #19281 of 19290 Old 09-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Aryn Ravenlocke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ, USA
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by cu_shane View Post
Rene,

I am helping someone who is new to the world of HTPCs put together their first system. Here is what I plan on recommending. Please let me know if I should make any changes.

processor $47: Intel Celeron G1840 Haswell Dual-Core 2.8GHz

motherboard $135: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac (this is the most affordable option I could find with integrated wifi and an M.2 slot, which should offer a lot of boot time and speed advantages)

memory $45: G.SKILL 2 x 2GB

Internal Blu-ray drive $40: LG UH12S30

Case including PSU (power supply unit) $55: APEX MI-008

M.2 drive for the OS $45: MyDigitalSSD 64GB

3.5" Hard drive $110: Western Digital WD Green 3TB

Remote Control (really just need it for the IR receiver, he will be using a Harmony) $9: USB PC WMC Remote

TOTAL: $486

This will be used exclusively for streaming video and for local blu-ray rips (1080p). He will be using Windows 8.1 and XBMC.
Pretty solid. Nothing in there is overkill, and that processor can take care of the 1080 content. I tend to prefer 8 GB of RAM as a minimum, but there is no reason in this case to really go that high. Both Windows 8.1 and Kodi/XBMC can run just fine off of 2 GB.

As a simple, entry-level HTPC that will give your friend a good idea of what else could be possible, or to work as a simple streaming appliance, this should be fine.
Aryn Ravenlocke is online now  
post #19282 of 19290 Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,184
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by cu_shane View Post
Rene,

I am helping someone who is new to the world of HTPCs put together their first system. Here is what I plan on recommending. Please let me know if I should make any changes.

processor $47: Intel Celeron G1840 Haswell Dual-Core 2.8GHz

motherboard $135: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac (this is the most affordable option I could find with integrated wifi and an M.2 slot, which should offer a lot of boot time and speed advantages)

memory $45: G.SKILL 2 x 2GB

Internal Blu-ray drive $40: LG UH12S30

Case including PSU (power supply unit) $55: APEX MI-008

M.2 drive for the OS $45: MyDigitalSSD 64GB

3.5" Hard drive $110: Western Digital WD Green 3TB

Remote Control (really just need it for the IR receiver, he will be using a Harmony) $9: USB PC WMC Remote

TOTAL: $486

This will be used exclusively for streaming video and for local blu-ray rips (1080p). He will be using Windows 8.1 and XBMC.
This M.2 card does not offer any performance advantage. It's just a normal SATA III card with M.2 interface. Instead I would choose a cheaper mb with a 2.5" 128GB SATA SSD. For example,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Celeron G1840 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor ($46.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($66.99 @ Mwave)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Inwin BP671.FH200B Mini ITX Tower Case w/200W Power Supply ($59.77 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Edimax EW-7822UAC 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($28.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $481.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-17 11:55 EDT-0400

You could choose GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI or MSI H97I AC (both come with a 802.11ac mini PCIe adapter) instead of a mb + 802.11ac USB adapter. As for case, APEX MI-008 is another choice. If your friend doesn't mind a slim ODD / 2.5" 2TB HDD, then

- Antec ISK 300-150
- Silverstone ML05/ML06

The latter is more like an AV equipment.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by renethx; Yesterday at 11:30 AM.
renethx is offline  
post #19283 of 19290 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,184
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post
rene,
Could madVR performance/capability be most simply broken down to # of graphics cores, at least on the AMD side, given all the model name/number sharing between HDxxxx and Rx yy0?
i.e. 256 cores enough for up to (x) level madVR at (x resolutions)
How integral is the VRAM interface? (ddr3 vs ddr5 for dgpus, system ddr speed for APUs)

Aside,
Opinions on the Kaveri A6 7400K? (dual steamroller core, 256 shader cores)?
FLOPS = 2*(# of cores)*(core clock) is a good index to compare performance between models of the same graphics architecture (e.g. within GCN 1.x architecture)

Radeon R7 250X (= HD 7770): 1280GFLOPS
Radeon R7 260: 1536GFLOPS
Radeon R7 260X (= HD 7790): 1971GFLOPS
Radeon R7 265 (=HD 7850): 1894GFLOPS
Radeon R9 270: 2368GFLOPS
Radeon R9 270X (= HD 7870 GHz Ed.): 2688GFLOPS
Radeon R9 280 (=HD 7950): 3344GFLOPS
Radeon R9 285: 3290GFLOPS
Radeon R9 280X (= HD 7970 GHz Ed.): 4096GLOPS
Radeon R9 290: 4849GFLOPS
Radeon R9 290X: 5632GFLOPS

Memory is also important, but there won't be big difference once memory bandwidth goes over ~70GB/s (128bit GDDR5).

1920x1080x48bit = 0.1Gb/frame
(70GB/s) / (0.1Gb/frame) = 5600 fps. Isn't this fast enough?

Kaveri APU is just too weak (and too hot) for madVR.

A6-7400K: 387GFLOPS and 30GB/s memory
Ruiner likes this.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by renethx; Yesterday at 09:45 AM.
renethx is offline  
post #19284 of 19290 Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM
Member
 
cu_shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
This M.2 card does not offer any performance advantage. It's just a normal SATA III card with M.2 interface. Instead I would choose a cheaper mb with a 2.5" 128GB SATA drive. For example,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Celeron G1840 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor ($46.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($66.99 @ Mwave)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Inwin BP671.FH200B Mini ITX Tower Case w/200W Power Supply ($59.77 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Edimax EW-7822UAC 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($28.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $481.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-17 11:55 EDT-0400

You could choose GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI or MSI H97I AC (both have a 802.11ac mini PCIe adapter) instead of a mb + 802.11ac USB adapter. As for case, APEX MI-008 is another choice. If your friend doesn't mind a slim ODD / 2.5" 2TB HDD, then

- Antec ISK 300-150
- Silverstone ML05/ML06

The latter is more like an AV equipment.
Isn't M.2 generally as fast as a 2.5" SSD; both of which are faster than a traditional HDD? I am just trying to get something faster than a traditional HDD for faster boot time.

The InWin and APEX cases only hold one hard drive (a 3.5") so I figured a mobo w/ an M.2 slot would allow me to use the 3.5" bay for a storage drive and then I could use the M.2 slot to hold a small, fast drive for the OS. Without the M.2 slot I'd have to go with an internal SSD and an external storage HDD.

Is my thinking wrong?
cu_shane is offline  
post #19285 of 19290 Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM
Member
 
cu_shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
Pretty solid. Nothing in there is overkill, and that processor can take care of the 1080 content. I tend to prefer 8 GB of RAM as a minimum, but there is no reason in this case to really go that high. Both Windows 8.1 and Kodi/XBMC can run just fine off of 2 GB.

As a simple, entry-level HTPC that will give your friend a good idea of what else could be possible, or to work as a simple streaming appliance, this should be fine.
Thanks. Entry level, but upgradable is what I was shooting for. In the future he could upgrade the RAM or CPU pretty easily if needed.

Just to clarify, I would have him use 4 GB or Ram via two 2GB sticks.
cu_shane is offline  
post #19286 of 19290 Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,184
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by cu_shane View Post
Isn't M.2 generally as fast as a 2.5" SSD; both of which are faster than a traditional HDD? I am just trying to get something faster than a traditional HDD for faster boot time.

The InWin and APEX cases only hold one hard drive (a 3.5") so I figured a mobo w/ an M.2 slot would allow me to use the 3.5" bay for a storage drive and then I could use the M.2 slot to hold a small, fast drive for the OS. Without the M.2 slot I'd have to go with an internal SSD and an external storage HDD.

Is my thinking wrong?
M.2 is a new standard for SFF SSD. The interface is either SATA or PCI Express. This card is SATA, so the performance is the same as normal 2.5" SATA SSD or mSATA SSD.

In Win supports 2 x 3.5" HDD (one of them must be slim) + 1 x 5.25" ODD. Apex too, you can mount a 3.5" HDD in the external 3.5" bay. In either case, 1 x 2.5" SSD + 1 x 3.5" HDD + 1 x 5.25" ODD is no problem.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renethx is offline  
post #19287 of 19290 Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM
Member
 
cu_shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
M.2 is a new standard for SFF SSD. The interface is either SATA or PCI Express. This card is SATA, so the performance is the same as normal 2.5" SATA SSD or mSATA SSD.

In Win supports 2 x 3.5" HDD (one of them must be slim) + 1 x 5.25" ODD. Apex too, you can mount a 3.5" HDD in the external 3.5" bay. In either case, 1 x 2.5" SSD + 1 x 3.5" HDD + 1 x 5.25" ODD is no problem.
I didn't realize they could hold to 3.5" drives. That's good news. Apex describes it as (1)3.5" hidden and (1) 3.5" exposed. What does that mean? I downloaded the manual (http://www.apextechusa.com/support/MI.pdf)and it shows one drive being mounted sideways at the side of the case. Would that be the hidden or exposed drive? And where would the other go (the manual doesn't show)?

So, if I don't need a M.2 card, I could go with a $50 SSD drive instead and use a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter ($7). Then I could go with a different motherboard as you suggested. I definitely want one with built in wi-fi. Would there be a disadvantage to using the ASRock H97M-ITX/ac instead of one of the two that you mentioned? It's $25 cheaper...
cu_shane is offline  
post #19288 of 19290 Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
Member
 
MrPictureman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rene

Can you help me out with my server? I currently have an Antec 1200 case with 4 5 HDD bays, Cosair TX750 power supply, i7 4770k CPU windows 2011 server sofware.

I am looking to go with Flexraid, but need a few more pieces, i.e. motherboard, ram, ssd drive? Sata HDD expanion cards to cover the full 20+ hard drives, etc. I still have my guide I purchased from you a while back although it is a bit out of date

This will not run 24/7 it will probably only be turned on when used or will be left in sleep mode. Although at times it could be used by 4-5 tv's/devices at once

What parts and thoughts would you suggest, I have a microcenter close to pick up additional parts?
MrPictureman is offline  
post #19289 of 19290 Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,184
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by cu_shane View Post
I didn't realize they could hold to 3.5" drives. That's good news. Apex describes it as (1)3.5" hidden and (1) 3.5" exposed. What does that mean? I downloaded the manual (http://www.apextechusa.com/support/MI.pdf)and it shows one drive being mounted sideways at the side of the case. Would that be the hidden or exposed drive? And where would the other go (the manual doesn't show)?

So, if I don't need a M.2 card, I could go with a $50 SSD drive instead and use a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter ($7). Then I could go with a different motherboard as you suggested. I definitely want one with built in wi-fi. Would there be a disadvantage to using the ASRock H97M-ITX/ac instead of one of the two that you mentioned? It's $25 cheaper...
"Exposed" means that there is a cover in the front panel so that if you remove it, you can access the drive (e.g a card reader, a FDD). Attach a 3.5" HDD there and don't remove the cover. As for MI-008, you see a FDD in the figure, that's an exposed drive. A hidden drive is attached vertically.

ASRock H97M-ITX/ac is another good choice.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renethx is offline  
post #19290 of 19290 Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,184
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPictureman View Post
Rene

Can you help me out with my server? I currently have an Antec 1200 case with 4 5 HDD bays, Cosair TX750 power supply, i7 4770k CPU windows 2011 server sofware.

I am looking to go with Flexraid, but need a few more pieces, i.e. motherboard, ram, ssd drive? Sata HDD expanion cards to cover the full 20+ hard drives, etc. I still have my guide I purchased from you a while back although it is a bit out of date

This will not run 24/7 it will probably only be turned on when used or will be left in sleep mode. Although at times it could be used by 4-5 tv's/devices at once

What parts and thoughts would you suggest, I have a microcenter close to pick up additional parts?
- Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6 (that supports up to 10 SATA drives)
- Memory: F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (2x2GB) or F3-1600C9D-8GAB (2x4GB)
- SSD: Crucial MX100 Series 128GB/256GB/512GB
- HBA: Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 x 2 (supports 16 SATA drives in total)

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
renethx is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off