18Likes

post #19351 of 19356 Old 12-23-2014, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertodd View Post
If the stock fan is running on 12v you could try 5v. It will quiet it down a lot. Ambient temp will play a role in success.
How do I try it? Is it a bios setting? or jumper? plug change? I don't know the current voltage but rather imagine it is set for full cooling. I have not heard it change speed so don't think it is set up to be variable.

I put it all together using Renethx recommended parts but really don't know that much about the hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19352 of 19356 Old 12-23-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfox View Post
How do I try it? Is it a bios setting? or jumper? plug change? I don't know the current voltage but rather imagine it is set for full cooling. I have not heard it change speed so don't think it is set up to be variable.

I put it all together using Renethx recommended parts but really don't know that much about the hardware.
This should get you going in the right direction:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...nk,3058-4.html

Since you have your CPU fan plugged into a motherboard header I'd recommending plugging it into a fan molex where you can switch the wires.

There are others way too, such as a adding resistors or wiring it to a fan controller but they are more complicated and require soldering.

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

post #19353 of 19356 Old 12-24-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertodd View Post
This should get you going in the right direction:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...nk,3058-4.html

Since you have your CPU fan plugged into a motherboard header I'd recommending plugging it into a fan molex where you can switch the wires.

There are others way too, such as a adding resistors or wiring it to a fan controller but they are more complicated and require soldering.
Thanks for the idea and the link. I think I will try 7v.
bombertodd likes this.
post #19354 of 19356 Old 12-24-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell View Post
No, not quite. All audio is processed by the AVR. The same if you add a discrete card. With Haswell no need for discrete card unless you're also using it for a gaming rig.
Then do I need to have the software you mentioned (FDDshow, LAV, and Sharkey) in order to get the audio to my AVR? What about using front ends like Plex, or XBMC etc...?

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I've been building my own computers for 20 years, but I've never built a HTPC before. I appreciate the assistance.
post #19355 of 19356 Old 12-25-2014, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm no expert in the realm of HTPC's and my experience only evolves around WMC, Media Browser3 and Shark007 codec pack. As to codecs you don't necessarily require a whole suite of codecs that Shark provides but his configuration makes it very simple to use. At minimum you would need LAV and configured to bitstream audio (HDMI) to your AVR. Aside from Media Browser I'm not familiar with any other front-ends. If you're feeling adventurous you may want to take a look at MediaPortal which more or less automates the installation/configuration of all the SW.
Aside from reading numerous guides, FAQs and posts in this forum I referred to AssassinHTPC guides (MB3, Plex, XBMC), although a bit dated it's simple to follow and provides enough info for most folks.
post #19356 of 19356 Old Today, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Renethx,

This is an amazing amount of information you have compiled. Many thanks for the efforts! As a long time lurker, and years ago poster to the forums (lost my login name) it's one of the best information threads I've ever seen here.

Some of the info here is very eye opening. This chart in particular....

(chart deleted due to a newbie attempting links! - it was a CPU recommendations/power consumption/framerates under certain conditions chart provided by Renethx)

... convinced me that it's not really even worth looking at AMD options for much other than single streams. Even then, the power consumption and resulting heat/noise control factors make them a bad choice it seems.

So here is my situation. I'm in need of an upgrade to an older PC, and also got the bug to at least partially cut the cable cord. This got me thinking HTPC and getting rid of the DVR.

Using Plex, could I simply kill two birds with one stone and build my existing case to act as a both a Plex Media Server and my "home" PC for browsing/paying bills/usual PC stuff? With the newer processors it would seem to me that I could build with enough processor reserve to handle mild PC use while the media server remains stable. It would also keep noise/heat in the other room, as we could use the Roku front end and remote at the TV end of things.

Understood that doing so will require more processor horsepower, but in the long run still much more cost effective than upgrading the current box and then putting together another for the HTPC. It would also remove a box from the viewing room. We already have the Roku for the primary monitor, and if needed buying another or two would still be cost saving over building a second system.

Is still a viable alternative or I am out of my mind with this thinking?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page