Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server - Page 646 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #19351 of 19405 Old 12-23-2014, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfox View Post
How do I try it? Is it a bios setting? or jumper? plug change? I don't know the current voltage but rather imagine it is set for full cooling. I have not heard it change speed so don't think it is set up to be variable.

I put it all together using Renethx recommended parts but really don't know that much about the hardware.
This should get you going in the right direction:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...nk,3058-4.html

Since you have your CPU fan plugged into a motherboard header I'd recommending plugging it into a fan molex where you can switch the wires.

There are others way too, such as a adding resistors or wiring it to a fan controller but they are more complicated and require soldering.

Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II
2x Dayton Ultimax 12, Behringer iNUKE3000DSP
Denon 2113ci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19352 of 19405 Old 12-24-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertodd View Post
This should get you going in the right direction:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...nk,3058-4.html

Since you have your CPU fan plugged into a motherboard header I'd recommending plugging it into a fan molex where you can switch the wires.

There are others way too, such as a adding resistors or wiring it to a fan controller but they are more complicated and require soldering.
Thanks for the idea and the link. I think I will try 7v.
bombertodd likes this.
post #19353 of 19405 Old 12-24-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell View Post
No, not quite. All audio is processed by the AVR. The same if you add a discrete card. With Haswell no need for discrete card unless you're also using it for a gaming rig.
Then do I need to have the software you mentioned (FDDshow, LAV, and Sharkey) in order to get the audio to my AVR? What about using front ends like Plex, or XBMC etc...?

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I've been building my own computers for 20 years, but I've never built a HTPC before. I appreciate the assistance.
post #19354 of 19405 Old 12-25-2014, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm no expert in the realm of HTPC's and my experience only evolves around WMC, Media Browser3 and Shark007 codec pack. As to codecs you don't necessarily require a whole suite of codecs that Shark provides but his configuration makes it very simple to use. At minimum you would need LAV and configured to bitstream audio (HDMI) to your AVR. Aside from Media Browser I'm not familiar with any other front-ends. If you're feeling adventurous you may want to take a look at MediaPortal which more or less automates the installation/configuration of all the SW.
Aside from reading numerous guides, FAQs and posts in this forum I referred to AssassinHTPC guides (MB3, Plex, XBMC), although a bit dated it's simple to follow and provides enough info for most folks.
post #19355 of 19405 Old 12-28-2014, 10:48 AM

Liked: 1
Renethx,

This is an amazing amount of information you have compiled. Many thanks for the efforts! As a long time lurker, and years ago poster to the forums (lost my login name) it's one of the best information threads I've ever seen here.

Some of the info here is very eye opening. This chart in particular....

(chart deleted due to a newbie attempting links! - it was a CPU recommendations/power consumption/framerates under certain conditions chart provided by Renethx)

... convinced me that it's not really even worth looking at AMD options for much other than single streams. Even then, the power consumption and resulting heat/noise control factors make them a bad choice it seems.

So here is my situation. I'm in need of an upgrade to an older PC, and also got the bug to at least partially cut the cable cord. This got me thinking HTPC and getting rid of the DVR.

Using Plex, could I simply kill two birds with one stone and build my existing case to act as a both a Plex Media Server and my "home" PC for browsing/paying bills/usual PC stuff? With the newer processors it would seem to me that I could build with enough processor reserve to handle mild PC use while the media server remains stable. It would also keep noise/heat in the other room, as we could use the Roku front end and remote at the TV end of things.

Understood that doing so will require more processor horsepower, but in the long run still much more cost effective than upgrading the current box and then putting together another for the HTPC. It would also remove a box from the viewing room. We already have the Roku for the primary monitor, and if needed buying another or two would still be cost saving over building a second system.

Is still a viable alternative or I am out of my mind with this thinking?
post #19356 of 19405 Old 12-29-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Setting up a htpc

Hey guys,

I am a beginner who wants to set up a HTPC from scratch. I am wanting to play 1080p MKV files with DTS-MA or Dobly True Hd. I was hoping to run the OS from a USB as someone told me that is possible. Does any body have a beginners link or guide to set up a simple budget system. I heard another solution is to get a made XBMC unit as well. I have a old yamaha 6290 receiver and a samsung led ln46950 tv. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
post #19357 of 19405 Old 12-30-2014, 10:43 PM

Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

I've lurked here for a while, and recently had a bit of a windfall so I thought I would consider taking the HTPC plunge while end-of-year prices are out there. I would like to get 1 HTPC for the living room, and dedicated media server, setting up a home network. Later I might get a raspberry or something similar for a bedroom HTPC-lite.

A bit of background: I'm on the lower side of intermediate in terms of technical knowledge. I don't follow things closely enough to know all the acronyms off the top of my head, but I can follow instructions. I'm not overly intimidated at the thought of putting together PC parts and loading all the software, the issue is knowing what to buy or download. The research can be a little overwhelming. I am going to have to start over after becoming single again, so if I'm having to buy all new stuff I might as well do it right. I like the idea of paying money up front for entertainment, with much lower monthly costs for usenet, or something, instead of cable. So I am wondering if I could get some recommendations.

Things I don't need a living room HTPC system to do:

* I don't need to play games or act in any way as anything other than a dedicated media computer. I have a laptop that I use for everything else.
* I don't need to buy a super-small box or anything. I'm not overly worried about space. I would rather have good airflow and low noise, etc.
* I have a blu-ray player to play disks, so I am assuming this can be plugged into my TV alongside the HTPC, and I can just switch inputs if for some reason someone brings over a blue-ray or I get a gift or something.

Likes but not needs - would drop if conflicted with other needs, or wouldn't pay a large premium for it:

* The living room HTPC case to look like it belongs in an entertainment center, not like a typical desktop computer.

* Has the necessary hardware/software to play nice with a future home theater sound system (5.1 or 7.1 but specific system currently unknown/unresearched) to be purchased in the next few months

*I would like to use a Linux-type OS (openELEC?) with XBMC if it will be sufficient for needs, rather than pay for Windows 7 or 8

*I know that iTunes would need Wine to work with any Linux. I'm not sure if openELEC would support Wine or not, or if you don't really need iTunes on an HTPC that is playing music from a central server - although I would expect I would be using iTunes on my laptop to play those same music files off the server.

Needs - these are core things I would like my HTPC and proposed server set up to do

* Play OTA network TV and record shows off of it (record 1 while watching 1 other). I have a 5-year old and am currently keeping cable only for kids channels, but can drop it during a trial period without having a big fee for a few more weeks. I'd like to record what kid content I can get over the air from PBS and supplement that with content from usenet, since I have a good FIOS connection.

* Rip blueray disks (but not play them per se) with intact menus and play back the ripped files - I read somewhere that the most common ripping format loses all the menus. (I'd like to get rid of all my disks and de-clutter my life)

* Supports usenet account and common accessory programs (sickbeard, etc).

*works with music stored on server (also to be built) to play back audio at really good quality (not a hard-core audiophile though - I don't want to pay thousands extra for absolute audio perfection)

* Plays back ripped video at the same quality level as if I were playing a blu-ray disk. If the picture is noticeably degraded to the eye I won't enjoy it, I don't think.

* For server I think I would go with RAID 1 - that's where all the data is backed up, right? So essentially buy twice the disk space you want to have available for use. I figure space for a couple hundred movies with room to grow.

I have no equipment to start with/cannibalize, because in the split all I am walking out with is my laptop. I did get a 60" smart plasma (not 3D) over the holidays, and would like to take good advantage of the new toy.

Thanks for any help the community can give. Appreciate it very much!
post #19358 of 19405 Old 12-30-2014, 10:43 PM

Hi everyone,

I've lurked here for a while, and recently had a bit of a windfall so I thought I would consider taking the HTPC plunge while end-of-year prices are out there. I would like to get 1 HTPC for the living room, and dedicated media server, setting up a home network. Later I might get a raspberry or something similar for a bedroom HTPC-lite.

A bit of background: I'm on the lower side of intermediate in terms of technical knowledge. I don't follow things closely enough to know all the acronyms off the top of my head, but I can follow instructions. I'm not overly intimidated at the thought of putting together PC parts and loading all the software, the issue is knowing what to buy or download. The research can be a little overwhelming. I am going to have to start over after becoming single again, so if I'm having to buy all new stuff I might as well do it right. I like the idea of paying money up front for entertainment, with much lower monthly costs for usenet, or something, instead of cable. So I am wondering if I could get some recommendations.

Things I don't need a living room HTPC system to do:

* I don't need to play games or act in any way as anything other than a dedicated media computer. I have a laptop that I use for everything else.
* I don't need to buy a super-small box or anything. I'm not overly worried about space. I would rather have good airflow and low noise, etc.
* I have a blu-ray player to play disks, so I am assuming this can be plugged into my TV alongside the HTPC, and I can just switch inputs if for some reason someone brings over a blue-ray or I get a gift or something.

Likes but not needs - would drop if conflicted with other needs, or wouldn't pay a large premium for it:

* The living room HTPC case to look like it belongs in an entertainment center, not like a typical desktop computer.

* Has the necessary hardware/software to play nice with a future home theater sound system (5.1 or 7.1 but specific system currently unknown/unresearched) to be purchased in the next few months

*I would like to use a Linux-type OS (openELEC?) with XBMC if it will be sufficient for needs, rather than pay for Windows 7 or 8

*I know that iTunes would need Wine to work with any Linux. I'm not sure if openELEC would support Wine or not, or if you don't really need iTunes on an HTPC that is playing music from a central server - although I would expect I would be using iTunes on my laptop to play those same music files off the server.

Needs - these are core things I would like my HTPC and proposed server set up to do

* Play OTA network TV and record shows off of it (record 1 while watching 1 other). I have a 5-year old and am currently keeping cable only for kids channels, but can drop it during a trial period without having a big fee for a few more weeks. I'd like to record what kid content I can get over the air from PBS and supplement that with content from usenet, since I have a good FIOS connection.

* Rip blueray disks (but not play them per se) with intact menus and play back the ripped files - I read somewhere that the most common ripping format loses all the menus. (I'd like to get rid of all my disks and de-clutter my life)

* Supports usenet account and common accessory programs (sickbeard, etc).

*works with music stored on server (also to be built) to play back audio at really good quality (not a hard-core audiophile though - I don't want to pay thousands extra for absolute audio perfection)

* Plays back ripped video at the same quality level as if I were playing a blu-ray disk. If the picture is noticeably degraded to the eye I won't enjoy it, I don't think.

* For server I think I would go with RAID 1 - that's where all the data is backed up, right? So essentially buy twice the disk space you want to have available for use. I figure space for a couple hundred movies with room to grow.

I have no equipment to start with/cannibalize, because in the split all I am walking out with is my laptop. I did get a 60" smart plasma (not 3D) over the holidays, and would like to take good advantage of the new toy.

Thanks for any help the community can give. Appreciate it very much!
post #19359 of 19405 Old 12-30-2014, 10:50 PM

Sorry for the double-post. I don't see an edit or delete post function.
post #19360 of 19405 Old 12-31-2014, 06:01 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXdad View Post
Sorry for the double-post. I don't see an edit or delete post function.
There should be an edit button at the bottom of the post. There should be buttons left to right labeled as:

> Edit
> Quote
> Multi-Quote
> Quick Reply

Within there, there's an option to delete a post. It's possible that new users don't get the edit button until they reach a certain post count, not sure. Oh, and welcome to AVS.
post #19361 of 19405 Old 12-31-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have you looked into a chromebox?

Kodi (XBMC) via Chromebox

I am looking at one myself.. right now chrome boxes are around $160, but they go on sale quite often for $130.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzailt View Post
Hey guys,

I am a beginner who wants to set up a HTPC from scratch. I am wanting to play 1080p MKV files with DTS-MA or Dobly True Hd. I was hoping to run the OS from a USB as someone told me that is possible. Does any body have a beginners link or guide to set up a simple budget system. I heard another solution is to get a made XBMC unit as well. I have a old yamaha 6290 receiver and a samsung led ln46950 tv. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
post #19362 of 19405 Old 12-31-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Your biggest issue with anything not Windows based is going to be the OTA recording and playback. I have it working in OpenELEC, but it's not elegant, and it required me to use my Windows 7 HTPC for supplying the guide. Maybe someone knows a different way to do it, but that's been my experience.
post #19363 of 19405 Old 01-01-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Your biggest issue with anything not Windows based is going to be the OTA recording and playback. I have it working in OpenELEC, but it's not elegant, and it required me to use my Windows 7 HTPC for supplying the guide. Maybe someone knows a different way to do it, but that's been my experience.
Oh, that's good to know. I'll have to research that a bit more than. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
There should be an edit button at the bottom of the post. There should be buttons left to right labeled as:

> Edit
> Quote
> Multi-Quote
> Quick Reply

Within there, there's an option to delete a post. It's possible that new users don't get the edit button until they reach a certain post count, not sure. Oh, and welcome to AVS.
It must be a post count thing. I don't have the edit button. No worries.
post #19364 of 19405 Old 01-06-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

If I want to send a 1:1 blu-ray rip with loss-less audio from a server in one room to a HTPC in another room how much bandwidth do I need? Is wireless AC fast enough or do I need to go wired?
post #19365 of 19405 Old 01-06-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

The short answer is - wireless sucks for streaming. And although 5GHz sounds like the solution, it travels poorly. Distance and walls kill 5GHz.

You have a couple of choices. You can go with something like Plex or Media Browser which will transcode and ensure the best quality possible over wireless, but will obviously compress audio and video; or you are going to have to run a wire. In my experience, 100mbps wired is fine, but if you are running wire anyway, go CAT5e or CAT6 and do gigabit.
post #19366 of 19405 Old 01-07-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

That's what I figured, but then I found this: http://us.dlink.com/products/connect...-wi-fi-router/

It won't be out till the middle of the year or so and it must be used with their USB adapter for the best speed, but it seems like a viable solution if it's as fast as they claim.
post #19367 of 19405 Old 01-07-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

There's more to wifi than just the speed. Latency will cause issues you won't see with a wire, and there are other issues with wifi beyond that.

If you try it, make sure you purchase from somewhere that will allow returns if it doesn't work to your expectations.
post #19368 of 19405 Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
That's what I figured, but then I found this: http://us.dlink.com/products/connect...-wi-fi-router/

It won't be out till the middle of the year or so and it must be used with their USB adapter for the best speed, but it seems like a viable solution if it's as fast as they claim.
Jeez D-Link, that thing looks like an Imperial battle cruiser. It's just a router for pete's sake.
gsr likes this.
post #19369 of 19405 Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post

Looks like it's for sale on Newegg already.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...573-_-01082015
post #19370 of 19405 Old 01-08-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post
Jeez D-Link, that thing looks like an Imperial battle cruiser. It's just a router for pete's sake.

The adapter is just as weird looking: http://us.dlink.com/products/connect...i-usb-adapter/

Don't know how you plug it in. Maybe comes with an extender cable?
post #19371 of 19405 Old 01-08-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Looks like it's for sale on Newegg already.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...573-_-01082015

Doesn't look like they're selling the adapter that is needed to achieve max speed.
post #19372 of 19405 Old 01-10-2015, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a consensus as to which Dual satellite HD TV Tuner cards are the best for windows? PCI-E ones only...

Seems to me there isn't as much call for internal tv tuners these days as not as many people have desktop PCs. I'm looking to build a HTPC though and would like recommendations for one. Half height would be great but I've not picked any parts yet and would take a full height one if it was good enough.

Amazon seems a bit chaotic with respect to working out the most recent versions of the various Hauppage and 'TBS' cards. And there seems to be 'DVBSky' as well.

Would be grateful if I could get some advice!
post #19373 of 19405 Old 01-10-2015, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a consensus as to which Dual satellite HD TV Tuner cards are the best for windows? PCI-E ones only...

Seems to me there isn't as much call for internal tv tuners these days as not as many people have desktop PCs. I'm looking to build a HTPC though and would like recommendations for one. Half height would be great but I've not picked any parts yet and would take a full height one if it was good enough.

Amazon seems a bit chaotic with respect to working out the most recent versions of the various Hauppage and 'TBS' cards. And there seems to be 'DVBSky' as well.

Would be grateful if I could get some advice!
post #19374 of 19405 Old 01-12-2015, 03:31 PM

Liked: 13
I'm building my first HTPC to replace a sputtering WDTV Live and was hoping for some advice on a motherboard (mini-ITX) and OS.

So, far, I've settled on a Silverstone ML06B (+ PSU) for a chassis and an Intel i3-4130T CPU. But most of the specs for MBs are over my head and I really have no idea which one will give me more bang for the buck.

I'm leaning towards Asus or Gigabyte, based on reviews and overall quality/reliability of those brands. Price is not the main issue for me, I just want the best board for my current needs with a little wiggle room for future growth.

I have the following two boards under consideration:

1) Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi (do not need wi-fi or dual-LAN; just seemed like good options to have for "just in case" scenarios.)
2) ASUS H97i-Plus

My primary use will be streaming music and video from a Synology NAS and Netflix. Might add an optical drive down the road (probable). Might add some gaming capability (long-shot).

For an OS, my first instinct is to go with OpenELEC, but I'm not proficient with Linux, and I need to have a relatively pain-free Netflix. This system has to be wife-friendly and easy to use. For this reason I am also considering Windows 8.1, but I don't think I will need WMC if I install Kodi.

Any and all advice, feedback, comments, are welcome.
post #19375 of 19405 Old 01-13-2015, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 4
ok guy's i'm confused. I have built a HTPC. It's an i7, 16GB RAM, 5TB HDD, and has the EVGA GeForce 740 Video Card. My receiver is the onkyo tx-nr809 (so hmdi is 1.4)...I have it hooked up to my receiver and my panasonic TA-ae8000u projector. I have a secondary monitor also hooked up to my system (so three in total, projector, and 2 monitors). I have installed installed MPC-HC with FFDShow and FFDAudio, with all the necessary codecs...the 2D works fine, gives me full resolution and true HD bitstream sound. My question is how to i get 3D movies to work. From what i have been reading i have to use ISO file to play 3D movies and not MKV files. I need MPC-HC to play the 3D movies, and my projector to project it. I have converted my blu-ray 3D movies to ISO. Initially i was pressing the 3D button on the projector and selecting the 2D-3D option - but that obviously is not the right way to watch true 3D. Any help is appreciated. thanks guys.
post #19376 of 19405 Old 01-13-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

This is interesting:

https://store.nzxt.com/products/doko-by-nzxt

Possibly replace your HTPC with this $100 streaming box. Of course you still need to have your media collection stored on a computer attached to your network.
post #19377 of 19405 Old 01-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SithLord View Post
I'm building my first HTPC to replace a sputtering WDTV Live and was hoping for some advice on a motherboard (mini-ITX) and OS.

So, far, I've settled on a Silverstone ML06B (+ PSU) for a chassis and an Intel i3-4130T CPU. But most of the specs for MBs are over my head and I really have no idea which one will give me more bang for the buck.

I'm leaning towards Asus or Gigabyte, based on reviews and overall quality/reliability of those brands. Price is not the main issue for me, I just want the best board for my current needs with a little wiggle room for future growth.

I have the following two boards under consideration:

1) Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi (do not need wi-fi or dual-LAN; just seemed like good options to have for "just in case" scenarios.)
2) ASUS H97i-Plus

My primary use will be streaming music and video from a Synology NAS and Netflix. Might add an optical drive down the road (probable). Might add some gaming capability (long-shot).

For an OS, my first instinct is to go with OpenELEC, but I'm not proficient with Linux, and I need to have a relatively pain-free Netflix. This system has to be wife-friendly and easy to use. For this reason I am also considering Windows 8.1, but I don't think I will need WMC if I install Kodi.

Any and all advice, feedback, comments, are welcome.
SithLord:
IMHO, give up any thoughts of using Windows for Netflix. I did it for a few years; NF through Windows Media Center just sucks. I still don't think the Windows NF streaming supports HD.

I use Windows 7.1, Windows Media Center, and MediaBrowser3. But I rely on the TV's built in NF and Amazon apps for streaming from the internet. For the needs you listed, perhaps don't build an HTPC at all, just build a back-room computer that can serve media via Media Browser and use a Roku box at your TV to do excellent streaming from your local media as well as Netflix and whatever else. Roku has the ability to play your Media Browser-managed content.

I strongly recommend you check out media browser, then re-assess the best path forward. You might save a wad of cash and get a more family friendly system in the bargain.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #19378 of 19405 Old 01-13-2015, 07:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPictureman View Post
Thanks Rene

I really appreciate your help
Help, I started my build and am installing windows home server 2011 and I can't get past the Errors Occurred during installation A network device driver was not found. I have the Asrock z97 extreme4 board and have looked for and tried every driver I could find It looks like I am missing the Ethernet Controller, PCI Simple Communications Controller and the SM Bus Controller.

Can anyone help?
post #19379 of 19405 Old 01-14-2015, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPictureman View Post
Help, I started my build and am installing windows home server 2011 and I can't get past the Errors Occurred during installation A network device driver was not found. I have the Asrock z97 extreme4...
I had the same problem installing WHS 2011 on a Z87 Extreme6. This worked for me:
https://communities.intel.com/message/138286

The download link given for the drivers is broken but you might be able to find them by searching the intel website, or you can use the drivers on the ASRock CD. Just copy the correct folder from the ASRock CD to a flash drive, then modify the correct inf file. When you get to the LAN driver installation error tell it you want to pick the drivers from a list, then click have disk. Point it to the folder on the flash drive and it should install.

Edit:
I believe the correct LAN driver folder for WHS 2011 64 bit is PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS62

Last edited by Ken.F; 01-14-2015 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Additional information
post #19380 of 19405 Old 01-14-2015, 05:59 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
SithLord:
IMHO, give up any thoughts of using Windows for Netflix. I did it for a few years; NF through Windows Media Center just sucks. I still don't think the Windows NF streaming supports HD.

I use Windows 7.1, Windows Media Center, and MediaBrowser3. But I rely on the TV's built in NF and Amazon apps for streaming from the internet. For the needs you listed, perhaps don't build an HTPC at all, just build a back-room computer that can serve media via Media Browser and use a Roku box at your TV to do excellent streaming from your local media as well as Netflix and whatever else. Roku has the ability to play your Media Browser-managed content.

I strongly recommend you check out media browser, then re-assess the best path forward. You might save a wad of cash and get a more family friendly system in the bargain.

Marc
Thanks, Marc. I was actually thinking about a Roku to replace the WD Live, but I have two issues with it:

1.) No optical output (my soundbar does not have HDMI), so I would have to look at an audio extractor or converter.
2.) Roku is a very "closed" system; no ability to manually set DNS or do any of the other tricks that we Canadians need to do in order to enjoy its full capabilities. I'm aware that DNS can be set at the router level, but I do not want all my traffic being routed through a third party, just my streaming box.

My complaint about the WD Live is basically that the UI is clunky, slow, and difficult to navigate, and we've been having random disconnects and freezes, especially if it has been on for a few hours. I've tried a few of the skins/themes out there but they have either caused something to break or did not improve the navigational speeds.

I really want a rich media experience, like those using Media Browser, Kodi, and Plex are getting. If the WD Live had a similar interface, it would be untouchable. But I don't think WD cares any more. Their last firmware update was a bust (I had to roll back, for the first time ever, as did many others) and I don't think the newer revisions even have Netflix.

Putting HTPC on hold while I think this through some more. I'm sure the Synology NAS can be better utilized, just need to find the right tools and get it together.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page