Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server - Page 647 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #19381 of 19399 Old 01-15-2015, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my HIS Hightech H467QT512P Radeon HD 4670 video card died on me tonight. Its part of my system that is running a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P motherboard and a i7-920 chipset. Yes I know its old, but I don't really do anything but watch movies, surf the web, etc on it. I am running 9 GB of ram so it still does ok and I am on Win7. What should I get as a replacement video card? I usually run 2 1080p monitors off it. Right now its just setup to run one 1080p monitor. No room to have it setup in my current living situation. It run it into a NAD T175 right now so I just needs to do DD and DTS. No DTS-MS or TrueHD, but I am guessing everything does all this now. I swear I only paid $80 for the HIS card so I am assuming I can get something for that or less. Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19382 of 19399 Old 01-15-2015, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I had the same problem installing WHS 2011 on a Z87 Extreme6. This worked for me:
https://communities.intel.com/message/138286

The download link given for the drivers is broken but you might be able to find them by searching the intel website, or you can use the drivers on the ASRock CD. Just copy the correct folder from the ASRock CD to a flash drive, then modify the correct inf file. When you get to the LAN driver installation error tell it you want to pick the drivers from a list, then click have disk. Point it to the folder on the flash drive and it should install.

Edit:
I believe the correct LAN driver folder for WHS 2011 64 bit is PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS62

Thanks Ken,

I did follow your directions and it is working great I am going through the windows updates now.

I appreciate your help and hope the rest of the installation goes as smooth.
Ken.F likes this.
post #19383 of 19399 Old 01-28-2015, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 45
What page has the latest list of recommended equipment?

I'm going to build an Intel mATX based system for my bedroom. I want it to be a quiet system. Only needs to play on a 24" HDMI monitor.

I need a CPU/MoBo combo that I can use the onboard video for Blu-ray.

Considering this:
MB: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
CPU: G3258 3.2 GHz
^will this do the job for onboard video?

Hard drive: SSD around 120GB
RAM: 4GB
Blu-Ray burner: unsure. speed doesn't matter, price does.
Case: as small as possible that everything fits.

I have a 500 watt Corsair PS.
I don't mind buying quiet fans.

Looking to do everything under $500
post #19384 of 19399 Old 01-28-2015, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide *2015*

Your CPU is more than enough to do the job.
Michael Mitten likes this.
post #19385 of 19399 Old 02-06-2015, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Antec isk 150; slim bluray?
I have my build halfway done and cannot find exact slim drive anywhere that will fit?

The old Samsung 506bb is not made any more...
Thoughts?
Thanks
post #19386 of 19399 Old 02-12-2015, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Need to update two computers video cards.

Older file server: Q6600 system with 8gb ram, has a GeForce 8800GT that finally died. Old file server/gaming box for MS flight sim 10. The Geforce died so it needs to be replaced.

Newer file server: Intel i5 3570K, 32gb ram, onboard graphics. Need something that can transcode.

The last graphics card I purchased was the 8800GT around 2008. At that time Nvidia supported a software vendor transcoding/authoring acceleration. ATI did not yet have video transcode gfx acceleration. Fast forward to today, I would like 2x mid to high range cards and the software to go with it for transcoding Blueray, home videos, and support 3D authoring. Basically the 8800GT took overnight to transcode a 2 hour movie, I want that to take less than 3-4 hours with graphics acceleration.
  • Stability is paramount. Both of these boxes house copies of our media, home videos, pictures, and document backups. I cannot have driver lockups requiring a hard reset killing our drives.
  • MS Flight Sim 10 gaming support would be nice
  • 4K support is nice, but our receiver only does 4k passthrough
  • at least HDMI 1.4
  • $200 to $270 each seems reasonable.
Thanks for looking.

Our Space
PSN: brotj7
post #19387 of 19399 Old 02-16-2015, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello all, I have been wanting to build an all out media server for sometime. But do to funds and the route I really want to go, it just isn't feasible for now. So lately, I acquired my father in laws old computer. So I thought I would try to make a simple media server and just use Plex as it seemed I am just able to stream movies through Plex to my PS3 or Xbox. I will have to work around music, as I have Linux Mint17 on my laptop and wanted to give Clementine music player a try. But here is my plan and am looking for advice on hardware. I was going to upgrade the HD in the computer to accommodate my 250gb of media with a 500gb. But then got to thinking that the motherboard and cpu might not be up for the challenge. So I thought maybe there are older cpus such as the I3's or a like that would work for what I want. All so any recommendations on older boards that would have decent graphics built in or would it be better to get and external graphics card or is it even needed.

All so I would be willing to pay for any guides, but when I went to donate it was just for the HTPC guides. Is there a difference in that and the ones for the server.

Thanks

Last edited by duder1982; 02-16-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: forgot to add in
post #19388 of 19399 Old 02-19-2015, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi folks'

I'm just requesting a bit of expert advice here. i've been using an older setup (intel e8500, Radeon 5450, win7, xbmc) as an htpc/storage to watch my br/dvd rips and streaming video. i'd like to upgrade as i'd prefer better quality upscaling since i have a lot of dvd content. so i'd like to try running madvr through an external player using xbmc. i dont have a lot of cash to spend here. i dont do any gaming and energy efficiency is also a factor for me.

- i figure the most important step is to get a better gpu. would a HD 7770 do a decent job for 1080p/2d content? (doesn't have to be the highest settings. i just want a significant improvement over my current setup)

- is processing power a concern here? if so:

- would it be worthwile to upgrade my pc? it kind of seems pointless to get integrated graphics or apu when a gpu is neccessary, no? is there any advantages to a pentium over celeron cpu for my needs? (i cant afford an i3 and dont think i need one anyway) or would an amd apu be a better option?

- anything to look for when purchasing a basic mobo, other than lots of sata options for storage?

thanks.

Last edited by sleeplesschris; 02-19-2015 at 06:12 PM.
post #19389 of 19399 Old 02-19-2015, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Sooo i guess there's no such thing as a dual tv tuner that plugs in via usb... ? I'm tired of this network crap based dvrs. Network goes down, so does the idea of recording shows...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #19390 of 19399 Old 02-20-2015, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post
Sooo i guess there's no such thing as a dual tv tuner that plugs in via usb... ? I'm tired of this network crap based dvrs. Network goes down, so does the idea of recording shows...
I'm not sure I understand your point. I've got two of the SiliconDust OTA units, both on my network, for a total of 4 tuners. I don't think I've ever had a recording fail due to loss of network. Sure, my INTERNET access goes down, now and then, but the tuners and the PC that's recording from them are still on my LAN, so they can still communicate with each other, and recordings continue.

If your router isn't stable enough to maintain your LAN, definitely it's time to get a new one. My routers and switches as well as the tuners are backed up via UPS, so the LAN survives if there is a short power outage. A longer power outage takes down the recording PC, and I could lose a recording due to that. I think it happened once or twice in the last five years.

Perhaps I've misunderstood your needs or situation / configuration. If you can give more details, I'll be happy to comment further. To your point, I'm not aware of a dual-tuner USB-based solution, but then again I haven't looked for one so there could be one, somewhere.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #19391 of 19399 Old 02-20-2015, 06:41 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point. I've got two of the SiliconDust OTA units, both on my network, for a total of 4 tuners. I don't think I've ever had a recording fail due to loss of network. Sure, my INTERNET access goes down, now and then, but the tuners and the PC that's recording from them are still on my LAN, so they can still communicate with each other, and recordings continue.
Similarly, I've got 5 SiliconDust HDHomeRun OTA units and 3 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime (CableCard) units, all on the network for a total of 16 tuners and have yet to have a recording failure with them - PERIOD. They have been rock solid.

Quote:
If your router isn't stable enough to maintain your LAN, definitely it's time to get a new one.
Or at least add a reliable switch for the PC and tuners to use.

Quote:
My routers and switches as well as the tuners are backed up via UPS, so the LAN survives if there is a short power outage. A longer power outage takes down the recording PC, and I could lose a recording due to that. I think it happened once or twice in the last five years.
Same thing here. My UPS can go about 90 minutes on a power failure. We have had a few long outages over the last several years, but that obviously isn't a network issue.

Quote:
To your point, I'm not aware of a dual-tuner USB-based solution, but then again I haven't looked for one so there could be one, somewhere.
The only multi-tuner that's USB based that I'm aware of is Ceton's InfiniTV USB which is a 4 tuner CableCard tuner, which won't fit Vipfreak's needs if he's looking for OTA. I'm pretty sure that all other USB tuners have been single OTA and/or QAM tuners.
post #19392 of 19399 Old 02-20-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
renetx helped me about 3 years ago to build my HTPC and its working fine. Thru the years I changed some components to keep it up to date.
My question now is: Which Video Card you recommend to use? I really don't do gaming, just video watching and a little bit of editing-converting (Blue rays, DVDs, Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, Hulu, TV, etc..) the audio part is very important for me because I have a DENON AVR-X5200W 9.2 Network A/V Receiver with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Dolby Atmos and a EPSON PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 Projector (once the lamp goes down, maybe in 1 year, I'm planning to buy a 84" (or bigger) UHD TV like Samsung or LG).

The video card that I have right now (MSI R7770-PMD1GD5) flickers the screen from time to time, not that much but I'm getting tired. I have another Desktop computer that needs a new video card and I'm planning to use the MSI R7770 and buy a new one for my HTPC.

At the beginning I had a sound card (ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe) because my original audio receiver (Onkyo) didn't have HDMI, just 7.1 analog and renetx suggested, among others, this card. Does it make sense to reuse it in my actual configuration?

Any additional suggestions?

This is my HTPC components:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz LGA1366CPU.
Cooler: GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GPCPU.
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58-E Pro - LGA 1366 - X58 - SATA 6Gbps, USB 3.0, Bluetooth - ATX Intel X58 DDR3 2200.
Memory (RAM) 18 Gigas: G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ.
Video Card (GPU): MSI R7770-PMD1GD5.
Main Hard Disk (SSD): Kingston HyperX 3K 240 GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Drive SH103S3/240G
Power (PSU) 625 Watts: Enermax MODU82+ EMD625AWT.
Case (Chasis): Thermaltake DH 102.
Sound Card: Removed (Used to be a ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe).
Optical Drive: Pioneer Blu-Ray Writer BDR-209DBK.
Tv Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250.
Keyboard / Mouse: Logitech diNovo Mini.
Remote Control: Included in Case (Chasis)
Operative System (OS): Windows 8.1.
Storage Enclosure: Sans Digital TowerRAID TR8M-B 8 Bay SATA to eSATA Port Multiplier JBOD/RAID 0, 1, 1+0, 5.
RAID Controller Card: HighPoint RocketRAID 2314 4-Channel PCI-Express x4 SATA 3Gb/s RAID.
Storage Hard Disks (14 Teras RAID 5): 8 Hitachi HGST Deskstar 3.5-Inch 2TB 7200RPM SATA II 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (0S00164)

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Miguel Anderson

Last edited by mandersonf; 02-20-2015 at 12:24 PM.
post #19393 of 19399 Old 02-20-2015, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeliayousaf View Post
ok guy's i'm confused. I have built a HTPC. It's an i7, 16GB RAM, 5TB HDD, and has the EVGA GeForce 740 Video Card. My receiver is the onkyo tx-nr809 (so hmdi is 1.4)...I have it hooked up to my receiver and my panasonic TA-ae8000u projector. I have a secondary monitor also hooked up to my system (so three in total, projector, and 2 monitors). I have installed installed MPC-HC with FFDShow and FFDAudio, with all the necessary codecs...the 2D works fine, gives me full resolution and true HD bitstream sound. My question is how to i get 3D movies to work. From what i have been reading i have to use ISO file to play 3D movies and not MKV files. I need MPC-HC to play the 3D movies, and my projector to project it. I have converted my blu-ray 3D movies to ISO. Initially i was pressing the 3D button on the projector and selecting the 2D-3D option - but that obviously is not the right way to watch true 3D. Any help is appreciated. thanks guys.
i figured out my own problem.
post #19394 of 19399 Old 02-20-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If your router isn't stable enough to maintain your LAN, definitely it's time to get a new one. My routers and switches as well as the tuners are backed up via UPS, so the LAN survives if there is a short power outage. A longer power outage takes down the recording PC, and I could lose a recording due to that. I think it happened once or twice in the last five years.

Perhaps I've misunderstood your needs or situation / configuration. If you can give more details, I'll be happy to comment further. To your point, I'm not aware of a dual-tuner USB-based solution, but then again I haven't looked for one so there could be one, somewhere.

Marc
You gave me an idea to try and it worked out. So the tuner is back up and running. I don't think I'll have issues when/if the net goes down now too. Thanks.

post #19395 of 19399 Old 02-20-2015, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post
You gave me an idea to try and it worked out. So the tuner is back up and running. I don't think I'll have issues when/if the net goes down now too. Thanks.
Glad to hear it! Congratulations.

I'm curious to know what you did. And others might benefit from hearing it.

Good luck for future problem-free recording.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #19396 of 19399 Old 02-21-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplesschris View Post
Hi folks'

I'm just requesting a bit of expert advice here. i've been using an older setup (intel e8500, Radeon 5450, win7, xbmc) as an htpc/storage to watch my br/dvd rips and streaming video. i'd like to upgrade as i'd prefer better quality upscaling since i have a lot of dvd content. so i'd like to try running madvr through an external player using xbmc. i dont have a lot of cash to spend here. i dont do any gaming and energy efficiency is also a factor for me.

- i figure the most important step is to get a better gpu. would a HD 7770 do a decent job for 1080p/2d content? (doesn't have to be the highest settings. i just want a significant improvement over my current setup)

- is processing power a concern here? if so:

- would it be worthwile to upgrade my pc? it kind of seems pointless to get integrated graphics or apu when a gpu is neccessary, no? is there any advantages to a pentium over celeron cpu for my needs? (i cant afford an i3 and dont think i need one anyway) or would an amd apu be a better option?

- anything to look for when purchasing a basic mobo, other than lots of sata options for storage?

thanks.

You're on the right track focusing on the video card, as your e8500 is not the bottleneck. An HD7770 is at the low end of what is required to get the most of DVDs with Madvr and NNEDI3 (It just has the right level of power for great results with film based DVDs, but struggles with low res video based materials). It is underpowered for 720p materials. For 1080i/p materials, it is also falling a bit short, but the impact of Madvr for these source materials is limited anyways. (All of this is based on my experience of using an E8500+HD7770 with a video projector at 1080p 23/24/50/59 and MPC-HC/Madvr with 3dLUT and Win 8.1)

My advice would be to aim for the next level up in term of video card, although the HD7770 would work in a pinch (and some of them are nearly quiet, which is of value).

For comfort, I'd also consider a small (120GB) SSD drive... it won't impact video playback, but boot time and other disk activities are much faster... noise is also reduced.
sleeplesschris likes this.
post #19397 of 19399 Old 02-21-2015, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post
You're on the right track focusing on the video card, as your e8500 is not the bottleneck. An HD7770 is at the low end of what is required to get the most of DVDs with Madvr and NNEDI3 (It just has the right level of power for great results with film based DVDs, but struggles with low res video based materials). It is underpowered for 720p materials. For 1080i/p materials, it is also falling a bit short, but the impact of Madvr for these source materials is limited anyways. (All of this is based on my experience of using an E8500+HD7770 with a video projector at 1080p 23/24/50/59 and MPC-HC/Madvr with 3dLUT and Win 8.1)

My advice would be to aim for the next level up in term of video card, although the HD7770 would work in a pinch (and some of them are nearly quiet, which is of value).

For comfort, I'd also consider a small (120GB) SSD drive... it won't impact video playback, but boot time and other disk activities are much faster... noise is also reduced.
thanks for the info. an ssd is definitely on the listi've looked at the 260x but my concern is that all the better cards have a large jump in power draw (except for the 750ti, which is out of my price range). besides, 80% of my use is for film and i think i can accept mid-range results for video and 720p content. quick question: is it worth it to buy a used card. i mean i could pay half the price but do they lose a lot of their efficiency with time?
post #19398 of 19399 Old 02-21-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If on a budget, I would consider a used card, especially as the current medium range cards are a bit long on the tooth (incremental improvements over the HD7770 generation), and as newer standards (HDMI 2.0) cards will change the situation within, I presume, the next 12 months.

My understanding is that the HD7770 is the same card as the R7 250X.

If this were my decision today, I'd be looking at the next one or two rungs up (say HD7850/R260x/265/270 or thereabout)
post #19399 of 19399 Old Today, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Glad to hear it! Congratulations.

I'm curious to know what you did. And others might benefit from hearing it.

Good luck for future problem-free recording.
Thanks, you game me the idea to connect the tuner directly to my laptop via the Ethernet cable. It worked and I didn't need to worry about the network since it's a direct connection. I'm not sure if that was how you were explaining it, but if so it helped me out. Working like a champ. Thanks again.

Now if only my 9.5 mm WD Black 2 HDD fit in my 7mm laptop HDD drive. #sigh ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers