Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server - Page 648 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #19411 of 19429 Old 04-12-2015, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccssid123 View Post
this sounds like you want to use strictly for 2-channel audio listening ?
Yeah. In 95% of cases it would be so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19412 of 19429 Old 04-12-2015, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncatcher View Post
Yeah. In 95% of cases it would be so.
not being a maven at this, you would not nec. need a htpc. many ways to incorporate stereo listening with you strd. pc/laptop. I am using Oppo 105d for stereo only into a preamp and then to my amplifiers. ethernet cable to Oppo. Install jriver on pc. If you have a tablet use gizmo in combo with the Oppo remote app. (works with smart phone as well.)

storage...however you want to set it up. I have several harddrives in my pc. and everything goes thru my home network using jriver. you can also attach a cradled harddrive, for instance, directly to the Oppo and forgo your pc.

this setup works like a charm for me. btw...you can also use the Oppo as a preamp.
post #19413 of 19429 Old 04-13-2015, 01:19 AM

Quote:
storage...however you want to set it up. I have several harddrives in my pc. and everything goes thru my home network using jriver.
Yeah! It's the main obstacle.
I have only laptop and don't want to use full-size PC. But I want use big drives (starting from 2 Tb) which are only produced in 3.5" form-factor. Since this my only choice is something equipped with compact case. Mabe barebones and etc. I am seeking for such types of hardware configs but not familiar with them. What options do exist?
post #19414 of 19429 Old 04-13-2015, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah! It's the main obstacle.
I have only laptop and don't want to use full-size PC. But I want use big drives (starting from 2 Tb) which are only produced in 3.5" form-factor. Since this my only choice is something equipped with compact case. Mabe barebones and etc. I am seeking for such types of hardware configs but not familiar with them. What options do exist?
what is your budget and exactly what equipment do you have now ? how much room for components ?

you can use external harddrives or a dock, with bare bones harddrive.

http://www.newegg.com/External-Hard-...ategory/ID-344

http://www.newegg.com/Hard-Drive-Enc...Category/ID-92

Do not fret, there is are a multitude of options.

One main key is to be able to WIRE up directly to the internet for best results.

look up products such as OPPO 105d:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...-Overview.aspx

or this Denon AVR: which covers a lot of bases.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/home...rsht/avrx4100w

you can pick up a used AVR from classifieds section and save big bucks. not nec. to have the latest and greatest when starting out.

if you need a basic pc on the cheap:

http://www.microcenter.com/search/se...4294967292+519

Anyway, read,compare and learn about the above products and see what they do. Hopefully this will help guide you.

Maybe someone else can chime in with their ideas !
post #19415 of 19429 Old 04-13-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
what is your budget and exactly what equipment do you have now ? how much room for components ?

you can use external harddrives or a dock, with bare bones harddrive.

http://www.newegg.com/External-Hard-...ategory/ID-344

http://www.newegg.com/Hard-Drive-Enc...Category/ID-92

Do not fret, there is are a multitude of options.

One main key is to be able to WIRE up directly to the internet for best results.

look up products such as OPPO 105d:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...-Overview.aspx

or this Denon AVR: which covers a lot of bases.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/home...rsht/avrx4100w

you can pick up a used AVR from classifieds section and save big bucks. not nec. to have the latest and greatest when starting out.

if you need a basic pc on the cheap:

http://www.microcenter.com/search/se...4294967292+519

Anyway, read,compare and learn about the above products and see what they do. Hopefully this will help guide you.

Maybe someone else can chime in with their ideas !
Well, I've reviewed all this stuff and can say that it's not appropriate for me. Those DACs are too expensive for me, and what concerns external drives - of course I am aware of their existance, but it's odd component.
I want something single-box, like Intel NUC but which accepts 3.5" drives. Unfortunately NUC doesn't allow HDD using. Only SSD.
Are there such options?
post #19416 of 19429 Old 04-13-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Well, I've reviewed all this stuff and can say that it's not appropriate for me. Those DACs are too expensive for me, and what concerns external drives - of course I am aware of their existance, but it's odd component.
I want something single-box, like Intel NUC but which accepts 3.5" drives. Unfortunately NUC doesn't allow HDD using. Only SSD.
Are there such options?
o.k. now we have a smaller computer. you stated you wanted 95% audio. what type of speakers are you intending on driving ? a couple of full blown towers, or, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 a set of computer desktop units? You are, after all, posting in HTPC section. What do you intend to use for amplification?

What components are you starting with?

do you have room to tuck a computer away somewhere?

I think I have lost site or do not quite understand what you are looking for.
sorry.
post #19417 of 19429 Old 04-13-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
what type of speakers are you intending on driving ? a couple of full blown towers, or, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 a set of computer desktop units?
7.1 audio set
Quote:
You are, after all, posting in HTPC section. What do you intend to use for amplification?
Yes, I have amplifier with 7.1 system.
Quote:
What components are you starting with? do you have room to tuck a computer away somewhere?
My scenario is: music is stored on network storage (Intel NUC, or Cubox or some else), this storage is connected to amplifier via S/PDIF. And I manage with all this stuff from my PC (or Android phone, or tablet or some else).
I can change tracks remotely (from other room), I can view/navigate/edit my music collection remotely, I can copy to/from PC to/from my collection easily, and have torrent client installed there.
Quote:
I think I have lost site or do not quite understand what you are looking for. sorry.
Do you need any other clues or suggestions?
post #19418 of 19429 Old 04-13-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
7.1 audio set Yes, I have amplifier with 7.1 system. My scenario is: music is stored on network storage (Intel NUC, or Cubox or some else), this storage is connected to amplifier via S/PDIF. And I manage with all this stuff from my PC (or Android phone, or tablet or some else).
I can change tracks remotely (from other room), I can view/navigate/edit my music collection remotely, I can copy to/from PC to/from my collection easily, and have torrent client installed there. Do you need any other clues or suggestions?
Install jriver media center (my choice of software for DLNA) on your computer

http://www.jriver.com

Install gizmo app on phone and tablet (actually a jriver app)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en

network your computer with your amp (avr)..if the capability exists and DLNA compliant.

if so, does your avr have an app to operate thru tablet ? in order to control volume and whatever other adjustments you may need to make to your avr.

if avr doe not have networking capabilities, then you would introduce one other component that does have networking capabilities, such as the Oppo. But you could go with the 103

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

instead of the 105 (much more cost effective). I mention this only because this is the route I chose to go. and you will have the bonus of a top notch blu-ray player.

they all should talk together thru the jriver app on your computer / or / gizmo on your tablet and phone.

if all sets up well....then total control of your music thru your tablet/phone

Now I hope we are on the same page.
post #19419 of 19429 Old 04-13-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
7.1 audio set Yes, I have amplifier with 7.1 system. My scenario is: music is stored on network storage (Intel NUC, or Cubox or some else), this storage is connected to amplifier via S/PDIF. And I manage with all this stuff from my PC (or Android phone, or tablet or some else).
I can change tracks remotely (from other room), I can view/navigate/edit my music collection remotely, I can copy to/from PC to/from my collection easily, and have torrent client installed there. Do you need any other clues or suggestions?
BTW, which "amplifier" do you have and what speakeers are you driving ?
post #19420 of 19429 Old 04-14-2015, 02:12 AM

Quote:
if the capability exists and DLNA compliant.
No and no. No such capability exists because my amplifier is rather old.

Quote:
if so, does your avr have an app to operate thru tablet ? in order to control volume and whatever other adjustments you may need to make to your avr.
No. See the above statement.

Quote:
if avr doe not have networking capabilities, then you would introduce one other component that does have networking capabilities, such as the Oppo. But you could go with the 103
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/
Why should I buy such costly component while I am not interested in video playback at all? All I need is intermediate component which will connect music on my HDD and my amplifier. Nothing else. PC shouldn't participate in this chain at all. Anyhow, I don't want so.
It can only play role of thin client for managing this system. As well as phone or tablet also can play this role. Nothing more.
Music storage should be separated and independent from my PC.

Quote:
BTW, which "amplifier" do you have and what speakers are you driving?
I have this one.
post #19421 of 19429 Old 04-14-2015, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
All I need is intermediate component which will connect music on my HDD and my amplifier. Nothing else. PC shouldn't participate in this chain at all. Anyhow, I don't want so.
It can only play role of thin client for managing this system. As well as phone or tablet also can play this role. Nothing more.
Maybe a CuBox running RuneAudio. I don't use either of those things so I can't give any detailed advice, but it looks like it should do what you want.
post #19422 of 19429 Old 04-14-2015, 07:51 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 329
^ It probably makes sense to break this discussion out into a separate thread as Suncatcher clearly isn't interested in a HTPC, Workstation, or Server, so the discussion is (way) off topic in this thread.

@Suncatcher - the best way to get help is to post in a thread that's appropriate to what you're looking to do and include relevant details such as your intended budget and what components you have that you want to continue to use. Don't force people have to make too many guesses as to what you're trying to do or you're going to get suggestions that don't help you. For example, the suggestion of using an Oppo for music duties is a good one on a higher end system, but wouldn't make sense given the AVR and speakers you have. But that couldn't have been known at the time the suggestion was made because you hadn't provided any info to help people give suggestions that are useful for you.
post #19423 of 19429 Old 04-15-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
^ It probably makes sense to break this discussion out into a separate thread as Suncatcher clearly isn't interested in a HTPC, Workstation, or Server, so the discussion is (way) off topic in this thread.
Yes, it's quite a reasonable idea. Though I think my desired device correlates with HTPC definition with some exceptions.
post #19424 of 19429 Old 04-15-2015, 10:38 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Yes, it's quite a reasonable idea. Though I think my desired device correlates with HTPC definition with some exceptions.
Everything posted in the Home Theater Computers forum should be related to HTPC, but doesn't mean it belongs in THIS thread... What you're asking for is off topic for this thread, which is focused on building home theater computers, which you have stated you don't want to do.
post #19425 of 19429 Old 04-18-2015, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
No and no. No such capability exists because my amplifier is rather old.

No. See the above statement.

Why should I buy such costly component while I am not interested in video playback at all? All I need is intermediate component which will connect music on my HDD and my amplifier. Nothing else. PC shouldn't participate in this chain at all. Anyhow, I don't want so.

I have this one.
Buy a schist Modi dac $100 plug it into a USB port on your pc and into your amp.
post #19426 of 19429 Old 04-21-2015, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I upgraded my preamp and am trying to get my entire system more current with hdmi. I do get surround sound but there seems to be confusion since my mother board is an asus m4a7bl-m and it appears may not support hdmi correctly with the amd driver. I am not real happy with the way it sounds since I moved to hdmi from optical .I thought with surround you either had or didn't but I am not sure. I was thinking I might update my media pc and save the existing for a spare. Am I correct in thinking the video and sound would still both be handled by the mother board? The sound is handled by a Marantz 8802 so I just need a good clean signal I think? Can I get some recommendations for a mother board? When I search the internet for suggestions I get pretty old recommendations and since this technology changes so fast I would like to know whats the new stuff. Am I looking at this wrong?
Any guidance will be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks
Rod
post #19427 of 19429 Old Today, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Does anyone know why the following sites are down? Will it available soon? If not does anyone have the guides available.

FYI : I recently donated to Assassin's guides.

Assassin HTPC Blog and Guides
Assassin Server Guides

Thank you in advance
post #19428 of 19429 Old Today, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Does anyone know why the following sites are down? Will it available soon? If not does anyone have the guides available.

FYI : I recently donated to Assassin's guides.

Assassin HTPC Blog and Guides
Assassin Server Guides

Thank you in advance
post #19429 of 19429 Old Today, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers