Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server - Page 649 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #19441 of 19456 Old 06-06-2015, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post
The motherboard you picked has 10 sata ports. No need for an external sata controller for the type of build that you are doing.

I would go with faster memory

Loose the s chip, your not going to save any power.
Faster memory in terms of what? like below? Do you mean ddr4?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231314
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19442 of 19456 Old 06-06-2015, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post
Go with both analog and optical. Unfortunately Windows won't let you output to both simultaneously with same source but at least you have the ability to switch back and forth.

Outputting LPCM on the analogs, your receiver looses the ability to apply Prologic processing, which is nice to have on 2 channel sources.
Outputting optical you loose DTS-MA and LPCM
Thanks I will connect both sources. But in general I am confused with what solution I go with? Shall I get sound card since DAC on 3805 is 10 years old or just use mobo analog output? Also optical\toslink can only do 5.1 is this correct? I would like to stick with decent 7.1 output. Do I have option of True HD sound?
post #19443 of 19456 Old 07-10-2015, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I am entirely new to the whole DIY computer area, but am interested in building a HTPC as well as a NAS, and wanted to get some input.

My understanding is you need to "Back Up" your NAS, and many things I have seen suggest a separate HTPC vs a NAS. So, I was wondering, given I need to 'back up' the NAS, would it be reasonable to build a HTPC with a fair number of hard drives to serve as the HTPC and the NAS back up location? I understand suggestions of also having 'off-site back up', and for my most critical data, I'll have that as well.

My HTPC will be located in an "AV Closet"- a 4' x 10' room, housing my receiver, DVD player, etc., which I access from the home theater I just completed. Size/look/loudness of the HTCP don't matter much in my situation.

I was thinking about buying a full size tower, like a Corsair 750D to have sufficient space for 'back up' hard drives. I was thinking maybe an Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 or Extreme 9 given the number of SATA ports which would be used for hard drives as I needed to add them. I wasn't sure if a less expensive motherboard and then using some type of controller would be better or worse. I have read up on the the Assassin HTPC guide and will use that to guide some of my other hardware/software choices.

My primary 'usage' of the HTPC will be to rip my DVDs/Blurays to MakeMKV files and then be able to steam them via some front end, and be able to stream to other devices (via Plex most likely). I don't understand much about Cablecards and Tuner's, but would be interested in that as well and using the HTPC to serve as a DVR as well. One question on that, is that can this be used to distribute 'TV' to other locations, or are multiple cablecards just going to provide ability to record multiple programs at once? We do almost no gaming at all at this point, although my kids just turned 6 & 9, so, who knows in a few years!!

My thought is then be to build/ have a different device for my home NAS.

If I did this, would I be better off running the Plex & media server software from the HTPC or the NAS?

Or, should I really be planning 3 discrete devices... a HTPC, a NAS, and a separate unit for Back-Ups?

Given my newness to this area, not sure if this is adequate information, or you need more data. I appreciate any thoughts & input you have.
post #19444 of 19456 Old 07-10-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I am entirely new to the whole DIY computer area, but am interested in building a HTPC as well as a NAS, and wanted to get some input.

My understanding is you need to "Back Up" your NAS, and many things I have seen suggest a separate HTPC vs a NAS. So, I was wondering, given I need to 'back up' the NAS, would it be reasonable to build a HTPC with a fair number of hard drives to serve as the HTPC and the NAS back up location? I understand suggestions of also having 'off-site back up', and for my most critical data, I'll have that as well.
To create a backup or not is a personal choice. I don't bother with backing up media files. I have over 30TB of media on the server, and if my server crashed I would be mad, but it's only music, tv shows and movies. I have my original CDs, DVDs and BD discs that I can rip again but much of my server space is taken up by recordings from my cable service. That kind of data is just not critical enough to me to make backup copies.

I do make backup copies of personal files and important data on my desktop computer.
post #19445 of 19456 Old 07-10-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post

My primary 'usage' of the HTPC will be to rip my DVDs/Blurays to MakeMKV files and then be able to steam them via some front end, and be able to stream to other devices (via Plex most likely). I don't understand much about Cablecards and Tuner's, but would be interested in that as well and using the HTPC to serve as a DVR as well. One question on that, is that can this be used to distribute 'TV' to other locations, or are multiple cablecards just going to provide ability to record multiple programs at once?

My thought is then be to build/ have a different device for my home NAS.

If I did this, would I be better off running the Plex & media server software from the HTPC or the NAS?

Or, should I really be planning 3 discrete devices... a HTPC, a NAS, and a separate unit for Back-Ups?
I've been trying to build an HTPC since 2008. It's main purpose would be to act as a DVR so I could quit paying $100 monthly rental for Comcast's HD/DVR service and be able to stream live recordings and TV to other rooms (act as a media server with future possibility of ripping my 1500 CD collection to it). I time-shift almost all my TV viewing and kept running out of disk space on Comcast's older Motorola HD/DVR and loosing recordings as a result. I tried to build a MythTV system, but ran into problems with OTA antenna reception. I mainly watch OTA TV except for NBCSN for F1 coverage and World Cup Skiing, but skiing coverage has been spotty and now that F1 races are available live on the Internet, I may finally be able to cut the cable cord with an HTPC if I can ever get reliable OTA reception. I originally bought an HTPC case, DVD drive, 2TB green hard drive, and HDHomeRun for the HTPC, but now with NAS (it's new to me as well) am thinking the optimal solution would be to build the HTPC front end with BD player and SSD for the OS and HTPC software and build a NAS back end as a media and data server. Like Ken F mentioned, I would not back up the media drive(s) if it mainly contained DVR'd content. As much as I'd like to be able to free up the rack space taken up by my CD collection, my car still has a CD player and no USB connection and I'd rather trust CDs, DVDs, and BDs than hard drives for permanent storage. I think that redundant RAID in the NAS or separate drive(s) with scheduled automatic backups would be the best way to backup the other data with additional cloud or physical offsite backup for critical data. I recently upgraded to the new Xfinity X1 DVR system, which is supposed to be able to stream recordings to any other connected TV in the house, but I also "cut the cords" to all my other TVs and they are old, dumb, and some even still have tubes. Before I upgrade those TVs, I would like to be able to stream DVR content to my bedroom office PC monitors.
post #19446 of 19456 Old 07-24-2015, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First post here. I currently have 3 "htpcs" at home 2 of which are Acer Revo's and one Dell Zino. The reason for the post is that I am looking to upgrade to a 7.1 (or more) receiver and am therefore interested in bitstreaming audio losslessly. I don't think I can do this with my current mini computers. Based on what I have read I would potentially be limited by the video card. I would like to:

1) Be able to bitstream lossless DTS MA, Dolby True HD, and FLAC all in 7.1.
2) Have "future proofing" for 4k era video processing.
3) I would prefer a windows based system for other reasons.

I don't think I have many other requirements. I run a plex server and this would be a client, currently to a 1080p screen but perhaps to a 4k screen in a few years. I don't need any gaming. I can do netflix/amazon etc via the smart tv apps. Any recc on a video card or even a prebuilt out of the box computer (like one of the alienware computers from Dell?) would be appreciated. I'd rather pay a little more for less work on my part in assembly.

Thanks.
post #19447 of 19456 Old 08-15-2015, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Helps, I have old mobo work perfect model (gigabyte p55m-ud4). I want more storage which 4TB and I bought 2 of it. Since it is not support over 2TB mobo, everytime i boot up. Its frozen.. I don't want to spend money for new HTPC . Any suggestion over come this?

If i unplug and let it boot and connect after then it is not an issue. But I dont want to disconnect everyday for my movies storage.

Another solution would be upgrade entire new mobo, cpu, ram. but that can cost me easy $400-$500.?

i am looking for this setup if this doesn't work out.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...=Combo.1670091

Last edited by jvinhj240; 08-15-2015 at 11:14 AM.
post #19448 of 19456 Old 08-15-2015, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Partition the drives?
post #19449 of 19456 Old 08-15-2015, 05:44 PM

I tried that , but it is slow boot. Maybe 2-3 mins
post #19450 of 19456 Old 08-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvinhj240 View Post
I tried that , but it is slow boot. Maybe 2-3 mins
Partitioning would not slow it down. You did something wrong. Use Acronis to partition and to look at the drive.

--
Sony XBR75X940C & Denon AVR-X7200WA & Sony FMP-X10
Dynaudio Contour 5.4 fronts. Contour 3.4 side surrounds. Confidence C1 center. B&O rears. Volt-6 @45 degrees in-ceiling TF & TR Atmos.
ATI 2003: fronts and center & SVS sub. 7.1.4 system
HTPC: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, i5@2500K, MSI GTX-960, Kodi, foobar, PowerDVD.
post #19451 of 19456 Old 08-15-2015, 06:50 PM

I used disk part and make it into 2 partitions. and convert it to MBR.
post #19452 of 19456 Old 08-15-2015, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvinhj240 View Post
I used disk part and make it into 2 partitions. and convert it to MBR.
Maybe you should do a full reformat. Is the drive older? Maybe the reads are not working well.

--
Sony XBR75X940C & Denon AVR-X7200WA & Sony FMP-X10
Dynaudio Contour 5.4 fronts. Contour 3.4 side surrounds. Confidence C1 center. B&O rears. Volt-6 @45 degrees in-ceiling TF & TR Atmos.
ATI 2003: fronts and center & SVS sub. 7.1.4 system
HTPC: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, i5@2500K, MSI GTX-960, Kodi, foobar, PowerDVD.
post #19453 of 19456 Old 08-16-2015, 06:34 AM

Yes, I also tried that the first time. even delete the drive, then partitions. The drive is brand new buy couple days ago

Last edited by jvinhj240; 08-16-2015 at 08:52 PM.
post #19454 of 19456 Old 08-19-2015, 01:24 PM

franchpc3, can you guide me thru format and delete?

when i use acronis, it only downsize my 4tb to 2tb. , i cant partition using window 7 disc.

the only partition i can make is disk managment and create there but still only allow me to 2tb the left over capacity will not be use .
post #19455 of 19456 Old 08-20-2015, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I have a Gateway HTPC. I am using the onboard graphics card. I get tearing video playback during bluray disc. Check out pic. Do I need a new video card? I am using MPC HC video player. I would love some help fixing this.

post #19456 of 19456 Old Today, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk2000 View Post
First post here. I currently have 3 "htpcs" at home 2 of which are Acer Revo's and one Dell Zino. The reason for the post is that I am looking to upgrade to a 7.1 (or more) receiver and am therefore interested in bitstreaming audio losslessly. I don't think I can do this with my current mini computers. Based on what I have read I would potentially be limited by the video card. I would like to:

1) Be able to bitstream lossless DTS MA, Dolby True HD, and FLAC all in 7.1.
2) Have "future proofing" for 4k era video processing.
3) I would prefer a windows based system for other reasons.

I don't think I have many other requirements. I run a plex server and this would be a client, currently to a 1080p screen but perhaps to a 4k screen in a few years. I don't need any gaming. I can do netflix/amazon etc via the smart tv apps. Any recc on a video card or even a prebuilt out of the box computer (like one of the alienware computers from Dell?) would be appreciated. I'd rather pay a little more for less work on my part in assembly.

Thanks.
I have been researching small HTPCs and experimenting with the NVidia Shield Android TV,it doesn't pass through HD Audio, but they say its coming that's why I am looking at other options. What's your budget?

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers