AVS Forum banner

Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server

Tags
computers
6M views 20K replies 2K participants last post by  Kenshiro 26 
#1 ·
 Guide to Building a Home Theater PC

Buyer's Guide to Building a Home Theater PC - October/November 2011

Announcement (updated on October 1, 2011)

Here is the basic plan for "Buyer's Guide to Building a Home Theater PC" (formerly "Recommended HTPC Systems"):

1. Issues and Editions. The guide will be issued every month, on around the 20th day of the month, in the PDF format (a PDF reader is required to read it, such as Adobe Reader [ free download ] or Adobe Acrobat).

2. Asking a Donation! I am asking a donation for the latest issue ( why ). There are two choices:
  • Single issue ($4 USD or more): You can download the current latest issue.

• 4 issues ($10 USD or more): You are eligible to download 4 consecutive issues. For example if you send a donation on April 1st, you can download March (during 4/1-4/20), April (during 4/20-5/20), May (during 5/20-6/20) and June (during 6/20-7/13) issues. How this works: Each donator will be provided with a download link to the issue file, which is valid for 2500 hours = 104 days = 3 months and 2 weeks (for example, April 1 to July 13 if you donate on April 1). I will update the file in the server on around the 20th day of each month and will announce it in this thread. Then you can download the new issue at the link provided. You will use the link repeatedly during the subscription period. So please keep the download link.

At this time only a donation by PayPal is accepted. Click the button

then select either one described above, click the PayPal icon and follow the instruction in the loaded page to send a donation. If you don't have a PayPal account, don't worry, click the link "Continue" following "Don't have a PayPal account?" in the page to create an account (it's free) and send money using your credit card or bank account. You will receive a download link instantly. Note that
  • The price field is editable; please change it and donate as much as you can.

• Please add your User Name at AVS Forum in "Add special instructions to merchant" if you want to get my support via PM or posts in the thread. Otherwise I can't identify you with an AVS Forum member unless your user name is the same as your PayPal account holder name.

3. Older Issues will be released free. Older issues will be released for free, either in this thread like the previous "Recommended Systems" or in PDF for download or both. I am planning on releasing a couple of months old issue every couple of months.

4. Have a Question? If you have a question (how to build, how to configure or whatever), please either post it in the thread (yes, please post any question in the thread, hoping that invoke interest in the latest guide
), PM me or email me. I will try to answer it; if I can't, somebody else may be able to help you.

Why do I ask a donation? Maintaining the guide consists of
  • Research latest hardware components;
  • Acquire key hardware components and do lots of experiments;
  • Write the information obtained in a readable form, that requires lots of time, meditation and inspiration (not kidding).

Among them the most difficult part is the second part because it involves lots of money ($1000 or more per month, not kidding, I consider $1000 is the minimum amount to maintain and keep the guide up to date) and currently it relies heavily on the donations. So please consider making a donation, as much as you can afford, if you think the guide is helpful and want to see it updated for some time to come.

BTW the amount of donations in 2010 is
  • October 16 2010 - November 15 2010: $60
  • September 16 2010 - October 15 2010: $85
  • August 16 2010 - September 15 2010: $145

This is good enough to buy a motherboard per month, but nothing more.
This guide is going to die sooner or later if this continues.

Release Notes
  • October/November 2011 Issue: Released on December 11, 2011.

- Sandy Bridge-E LGA 2011 systems took the place of 3-year-old Bloomfield LGA 1366 systems.

- All systems were reexamined and nearly half of the systems were updated or completely changed because of new hardware components and price change of many components.

Sample (21 pages):
  • August/September 2011 Issue: Released on October 1, 2011.

- The low-end and mid-range systems are restructured.

- Nearly half of the systems were updated or completely changed because of new hardware components and price change of many components.

• June/July 2011 Issue: Released on July 14, 2011. The June issue has been delayed because of the delay of the May issue. So I decided to combine the June and July issues.

- AMD A-Series APU (Llano) systems took place of all the Socket AM3 systems in the low-end and mid-range AMD systems.

- Nearly half of the systems were updated because of new hardware components (new AMD 990FX/990X/SB950 chipset motherboards, new X58/ICH10R chipset motherboards etc.) and price change of many components.

• May 2011 Issue: Released on June 3, 2011.

- All LGA 775 systems were replaced by LGA 1155 systems finally.

- Intel Z68 chipset motherboards are used in place of P67 in many systems.

- Standard Mini-ITX and Budget/Low-End microATX/ATX systems were completely re-organized reflecting the recent release of Pentium Sandy Bridge processor.

- 15-bay server systems are now using an Intel processor and Intel-brand motherboard (one reason for that is Intel Gb LAN).

- 20-24 bay server systems have more processor/motherboard options.

• April 2011 Issue ( free download ): Released on April 23, 2011.

- All Radeon HD 5xxx cards were replaced by the latest Radeon HD 6xxx.

- Several older motherboards and SSDs were replaced by new ones.

- A Xeon LGA 1155 workstation was added.

- Server systems were streamlined and divided into two categories: Server I (12 and 15-drive systems) and Server II (20 and 24-drive systems).

• March 2011 Issue ( free download ): Released on March 21, 2011.

- Every Intel LGA 1156 (Clarkdale and Lynnfield) system was replaced by a LGA 1155 (Sandy Bridge) system.

- "Intel for 3D" (Clarkdale + a discrete graphics) systems were removed because Sandy Bridge supports 3D.

- A LGA 1366 workstation was added.

- Rocket 620 SATA controller card in a couple of server systems was replaced by Rosewill RC-211 because Rocket 620 BIOS disables other controller's BIOS.

• February 2011 Issue ( free download ): The initial version released on February 23, 2011, the final version released on March 4, 2011.

- An AMD E-350 APU system was added in the mini-ITX system ("Budge Mini-ITX System").

- Intel High-End/Premium/Ultimate Systems and Workstation were all updated (i.e. Lynnfield systems were revived) because Intel recalled Intel 6 Series chipsets .

- Minor changes in the server systems (new motherboards, a new SATA 6.0Gbps controller card) for better cost/performance.

- Every single system was reviewed and components were replaced if necessary.

• January 2011 Issue ( free download ): Issued on January 20, 2011. As Intel Sandy Bridge quad-core processors were released on January 9, mainly Intel High-End/Premium/Ultimate Systems were updated.

• December 2010 Issue ( free download ): Issued on January 5, 2011. This is the first PDF version of the Buyer's Guide. 80 pages in US letter. Almost every section of the June 2010 issue was updated. This issue is also posted here .

Past Guides in This Thread

This is a guide to building a HTPC (Home Theater PC), a revised, enlarged version of Core 2 Motherboard Complete List - With Hardware Recommendations for a HD HTPC . In general emphasis is on the aspect of smooth playback of HD contents (including Blu-ray Disc, HD DVD and 1080p H.264 files), hence I added "HD (High Definition)" in the title. The main parts are:
  • Part I. Hardware Guide
  • Part II. Assembling Guide (under construction)
  • Part III. Software Guide (under construction)

"Hardware Guide" includes a practical selection guide of various hardware components as well as theoretical aspects of hardware if necessary. This part should be helpful to select right components quickly when building a HTPC. "Assembling Guide" is a practical guide to assembling a HTPC. I will choose one of the recommended systems in Part I and give a step-by-step instruction of assembling components. The content of "Software Guide" is still undecided (I welcome suggestions).

There are six appendices:
  • Appendix I. Overview of Intel CPU
  • Appendix II. Overview of AMD CPU
  • Appendix III. Complete List of Core 2 Motherboards
  • Appendix IV. Complete List of AM2 Motherboards
  • Appendix V. Motherboard Naming Rules
  • Appendix VI. List of Bandwidth

These are for reference only.

Then follow

Main Part
  1. Hardware Guide (Page 1)
    1. Introduction (under construction)
    2. Recommended Systems
      • Peripheral Components
      • MicroATX System
      • ATX System
      • Home Media Server
    3. CPU and CPU Cooler
    4. Motherboard
      • Intel Platform
      • AMD Platform
    5. Memory
    6. Graphics Device
    7. Sound Device
    8. HDD
    9. Optical Drive
    10. TV Tuner
    11. PSU
    12. Case
    13. Input Devices
  2. Assembling Guide (Page 2) (under construction)
  3. Software Guide (Page 3) (under construction)

Appendix
  1. Intel Processors – An Overview (Page 4)
    • Contents
    • Preface
    1. History
    2. P6 Microarchitecture
    3. NetBurst Microarchitecture
    4. Mobile Microarchitecture
    5. Core Microarchitecture
    6. Atom Microarchitecture
    7. Nehalem Microarchitecture
  2. AMD Processors – An Overview (Page 5)
    • Contents
    • Preface
    1. History
    2. K5 Processor
    3. K6 Processor
    4. K7 Processor
    5. K8 Processor
    6. K10 Processor
  3. Core 2 Motherboards – A Complete List of (Page 6)
    • Contents
    • Preface
    1. Overview of Recent Chipsets for the Intel Platform
    2. Intel 865 Chipset Motherboards
    3. Intel 945/946 Express Chipset Motherboards
    4. Intel 975X Express Chipset Motherboards
    5. Intel 965 Express Chipset Motherboards
    6. Intel 3 Series Chipset Motherboards
    7. Intel 4 Series Chipset Motherboards
    8. Intel Tylersburg & Ibexpeak Chipset Motherboards
    9. NVIDIA nForce4 Series for Intel Chipset Motherboards
    10. NVIDIA nForce 500 Series for Intel Chipset Motherboards
    11. NVIDIA nForce 600i Series Chipset Motherboards
    12. NVIDIA nForce 700i Series Chipset Motherboards
    13. NVIDIA GeForce 7-Series GPU and nForce 6-Series MCP Motherboards
    14. NVIDIA GeForce 8-Series mGPU Motherboards
    15. ATI Chipset Motherboards
    16. SiS Chipset Motherboards
    17. VIA Chipset Motherboards
    18. Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Motherboards
    19. Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Motherboards
  4. AM2 Motherboards – A Complete List of (Page 7)
    • Contents
    • Preface
    1. Overview of Recent Chipsets for the AMD Platform
    2. AMD 480 Series Chipset Motherboards
    3. AMD 580 Series Chipset Motherboards
    4. AMD 690 Series Chipset Motherboards
    5. AMD 7-Series Chipset Motherboards
    6. AMD 8-Series Chipset Motherboards
    7. NVIDIA nForce3 Series Chipset Motherboards
    8. NVIDIA nForce4 Series for AMD Chipset Motherboards
    9. NVIDIA nForce 500 Series for AMD Chipset Motherboards
    10. NVIDIA nForce 600a Series Chipset Motherboards
    11. NVIDIA nForce 700a Series Chipset Motherboards
    12. NVIDIA GeForce 6-Series GPU and nForce4 Series MCP Motherboards
    13. NVIDIA GeForce 7-Series GPU and nForce 6-Series MCP Motherboards
    14. NVIDIA GeForce 8-Series mGPU Motherboards
    15. SiS Chipset Motherboards
    16. ULi Chipset Motherboards
    17. VIA Chipset Motherboards
  5. Naming Rules of Motherboards (Page 8)
  6. List of Bandwidth (Page 8)
  7. MSI K8NGM2-FID: The Definitive Guide (page 9)

Discussion Posts (Click Here)

See less See more
#18,821 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/940972/guide-to-building-a-htpc-workstation-and-server/18810#post_22669413

Those are not bad. I just think it's noob to have some ugly box wired and hanging off the back on a port...

I would put it internal- Or build a cheap network attached server for storage.

The reality of those is you have a bulky AC to DC power cord block- that is two parts- wtih either eSATA or USB cord also running to your HTPC and it's a mess to find a neat place for it to all go.

In contrast- with a network attached server you can put it anywhere you want and the HTPC can have as much storage as you need with ability to expand in future as your needs grow.

All you need is a CAT 5e or Cat6 cable. Much better solution IMO.

I can easily hide those RAID Enclousers in a cupboard (hope this explains what I mean) near the actual place where the HTPC is going to be. As for the power, I don't know to proceed.

How would the internal solution be like? By network attached server, you mean a NAS? I have been for that solution too, but it seems expensive. I wouldn't even know how to build one. If you could enlighten me about this, I would be very happy.

#18,822 ·
Well you can buy NAS boxes that are just plug and play. They will server media over network as opposed to be hooked up on USB. This allows you to place them some other place that is convenient.

Do you have an old PC laying around you don't really use that can run Windows 7 ? You can make any old PC a server pretty easy.

If you had to build a "real" stand alone server from scratch your looking at :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135288 $29 Motherboard
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=G540BOX CPU $41
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148541 $13 DDR3 4GB

And either this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811148062 Case + PSU $32

or

This combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353007 $16.99 CASE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170012 $16 PSU

Your basically looking at a minimum of $150 in hardware. Windows Home Server operating costs $40. So you can make a server with brand new parts on a modern socket CPU for under $200.

That's the same price as your storage box in your link- except that is a full PC that can run windows 7 or Windows home server. Your doing to need to buy HDD's for either case.

You can add probably 6 hard drives in those cheap cases. You could upgrade the case and PSU down the road if you got more serious about it. Add a SATA card and keep adding drives..

Or coarse that's entry level stuff. Just giving you an option in your price range.

If your not budget limited for about $100 more you can get a higher quality motherboard, PSU and nicer case. Then you could have a really nice little server.

#18,823 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfury  /t/940972/guide-to-building-a-htpc-workstation-and-server/18800_40#post_22671190

I can easily hide those RAID Enclousers in a cupboard (hope this explains what I mean) near the actual place where the HTPC is going to be. As for the power, I don't know to proceed.

How would the internal solution be like? By network attached server, you mean a NAS? I have been for that solution too, but it seems expensive. I wouldn't even know how to build one. If you could enlighten me about this, I would be very happy.

Otherwise just hide it. lol. Keep in mind it gets warm and non ventilated might lower the life of it.

And last- YES NAS is network attached storage. Cool because you share it with multiple devices on the network. Cool because it does not have to hang of the back of your PC in an inconvenient location and rat nest of wires.

Everything that is good is expensive. That's how the world works.

You can't just throw a 3TB HDD inside your HTPC ?

#18,824 ·
About ready to drop cable and go exclusively with streaming products, and eventually add a HDTV antenna.

I've had a list saved for a few months so I just want to double check with the guys in the loop to make sure I'm buying the right equipment. I know this stuff can change dramatically in 6 months.

My needs are simple:

- HD capable, but 3D not needed (no supported TV).

- Must be user friendly, remote shortcuts to open/close different programs acceptable.

- Stream from Netflix, Blockbuster, Amazon, Hulu.

- Play music from local and network sources.

- Play video from local and network sources.

- Connect to a Dennon 2113CI receiver.

- As silent and cool as possible.

- I have cat5e wired through the house.

This is my TV , it was a special Black Friday 2011 edition.
This is my parts list I've had compiled for a while.
Amazon.pdf 193k .pdf file If the other link doesn't work.

Case - Silverstone Tek GD08B Aluminum Extended ATX / SSI-EEB / SSI-CEB HTPC Computer Case Cases - Black

MoBo - ASRock DDR3 1333 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboards (H77M)

CPU - Intel Core i3-3225 Dual-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i33225

RAM - G.skill ddr3 1600 4gb 2x2gb RAM 9-9-9-24

PSU - Antec EarthWatts EA-380D Green 380 Watt 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply

HD - Intel 330 Series Solid-State Drive 60 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch - SSDSC2CT060A3K5

Remote - Logitech Harmony Touch Universal Remote with Color Touchscreen - Black (915-000198)

BD Drive - Lite On IHES112-04 Black 12X SATA LightScribe Blu-ray Combo BD/DVDRW Drive Offered

For OS, I'm thinking W7. I have Ultimate on my office PC. I'm not sure of specific feature difference between Home, Pro, and Ultimate, or if I need any of the extras to stream online & networked video. I have Media Browser running on my office PC. I am comfortable with it, although I haven't researched into it's add-on's in the last year so anything newer I am not aware of. I have attempted to use XBMC in the last year. Never could get it working, even with Assassin's guides. I'd like to use the software that friends and family can navigate w/o needing a tutorial. If XBMC offers that, I'm open to figuring out what I was doing wrong. If either MB or XMBC offers Netflix, Blockbuster, Hulu, and Amazon all in a one package, that's a HUGE plus.

Attachments

#18,825 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert  /t/940972/guide-to-building-a-htpc-workstation-and-server/18810#post_22683008

For OS, I'm thinking W7. I have Ultimate on my office PC. I'm not sure of specific feature difference between Home, Pro, and Ultimate, or if I need any of the extras to stream online & networked video. I have Media Browser running on my office PC. I am comfortable with it, although I haven't researched into it's add-on's in the last year so anything newer I am not aware of. I have attempted to use XBMC in the last year. Never could get it working, even with Assassin's guides. I'd like to use the software that friends and family can navigate w/o needing a tutorial. If XBMC offers that, I'm open to figuring out what I was doing wrong. If either MB or XMBC offers Netflix, Blockbuster, Hulu, and Amazon all in a one package, that's a HUGE plus.

Sounds very similar to a build I'm thinking of. You'll need storage if you're going to do any DVR or ripping of course. For OS I'd suggest Home Premium vs. the more expensive versions. I don't think the higher levels offer much of anything for an HTPC. The main thing you might miss is Remote Desktop, but you can use Ultra VNC for remote control, etc. if needed. All of our machines are Home Premium and I've installed it on all of them for remoting in for maintenance. Works great. You may want to consider some type of wireless keyboard for text entry for things like Netflix search fields, etc. I'm going to try the Lenovo N5902 since it's small and we don't want a large keyboard laying around the living room.

#18,826 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr  /t/940972/guide-to-building-a-htpc-workstation-and-server/18800_100#post_22684580

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert  /t/940972/guide-to-building-a-htpc-workstation-and-server/18810#post_22683008

Sounds very similar to a build I'm thinking of. You'll need storage if you're going to do any DVR or ripping of course. For OS I'd suggest Home Premium vs. the more expensive versions. I don't think the higher levels offer much of anything for an HTPC. The main thing you might miss is Remote Desktop, but you can use Ultra VNC for remote control, etc. if needed. All of our machines are Home Premium and I've installed it on all of them for remoting in for maintenance. Works great. You may want to consider some type of wireless keyboard for text entry for things like Netflix search fields, etc. I'm going to try the Lenovo N5902 since it's small and we don't want a large keyboard laying around the living room.
Re: Storage. I plan on building a dedicated media server in the next year or so. As far as that goes, I'm debating finding a copy of Home Sever 2011 before they are gone, and flexraid to help prevent massive data loss. For $50 it can't hurt to try I guess. Until then, my PC in the office functions as the server. I have 4TB of space about 75% full of A/V content. Once they're full, I'm going to move the server up a couple notches on the list. I can't fit anymore drives in my current case.

Remote Desktop is the only thing I know Home lacks. I don't really care if I have it or not. The HTPC will be easily accessible for doing "computer stuff".

A wireless keyboard and mouse are on the list, but I'm going to wait and see how much it's needed before I decide on a mini or full size, or a track pad combo.

#18,827 ·
Thanks Renethx for the post AutoPlaying DVD ISOs using MPC-HC inside WMC., post 18771. I have been whining about not being able to play iso files with media browser for a while and this method resolves the problem because media browser is so tightly integrated with 7MC I can just use media center. I think this post should be a sticky so it is easier to find.

#18,828 ·
#18,829 ·
Thanks Renethx,

I was having trouble figuring out media center studio and figuring out the registry changes. I could not get bd iso's playing out of media browser and I gave up. It never crossed my mind that the directions were off. Thanks for the update. I will take another run at it.

I prefer to stick with media browser because I frequently change between live TV, recorded TV and movies and the 7MC, media browser interface works well for this.

#18,830 ·
renethx,

What is you current builder guide? last one was year ago.

#18,831 ·
I am still working on the new guide. I am going to finish it during my new year's vacation (although nobody may trust my words any longer
).

#18,832 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx  /t/940972/guide-to-building-a-htpc-workstation-and-server/18810#post_22764385

I am still working on the new guide. I am going to finish it during my new year's vacation (although nobody may trust my words any longer
).
As long as you're working on its all good

#18,834 ·
HELP!!! Can't boot up computer!

I built a HTPC this weekend using Assassin HTPCs Blog. I am using an ASRock A75M motherboard, and an A6-3650 CPU. I installed Windows 7 from a USB drive. I downloaded all of the Windows updates. I then downloaded the driver updates from the ASRock site, then downloaded the driver updates from AMD. I installed all driver updates and everything was working perfect. I even shut down the computer and restarted a few times.

A couple hours later I used Assassin's guide to setting up your BIOS. Once I saved and exited the BIOS, it wouldn't boot and gave me the black screen saying it couldn't boot up. I tried several fixes including the Startup Repair but nothing has worked. I then reset the BIOS back to the factory setting and am STILL not able to boot up. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

EDIT: I am using only one hard drive in my build and it is a Crucial M4. When I changed the BIOS settings, I changed SATA Mode from IDE to ACHI per Assassan's recommendation. However, he made this change BEFORE he installed Windows. Not after like I did. After Googling this, it sounds like this could be the problem, even though I set the BIOS back to factory settings. Do you guys think this is the issue? If so, is there anyway to fix it or do I need to do a fresh install of Windows 7 again?

Please let me know if you need me to provide additional details or pictures (can take pictures of screen with cell phone)

Thank you in advance.

John

#18,836 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx  /t/940972/guide-to-building-a-htpc-workstation-and-server/18810#post_22764385

).

I didn't see any recent update in first post of the thread, is it still the same arrangement, paypal and time limited download link to a pdf? Doing a 4 issue assuming that it is the same.

I'm a reluctant rebuilder, system ran "ok" for nearly 3 years, then beeped and rebooted on Jan/1/13 and got flaky, rebooted and flakier antivirus would not run, browser still worked, rebooted a couple more times with Chkdsk running once and not liking a bunch of regions on my no errors reported raid mirror, now boot manager not found with 2TB sitting in the raid mirror.

I'm buying a pair of new WD Red for the raid mirror, a Samsung 840 for the Win7, relegating the old Seagates to offline backup duty, and generally considering a completely new system from the MSI 780G, but keeping my AMD 905e.

#18,837 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeford  /t/940972/guide-to-building-a-htpc-workstation-and-server/18810#post_22804527

I didn't see any recent update in first post of the thread, is it still the same arrangement, paypal and time limited download link to a pdf? Doing a 4 issue assuming that it is the same.

I'm a reluctant rebuilder, system ran "ok" for nearly 3 years, then beeped and rebooted on Jan/1/13 and got flaky, rebooted and flakier antivirus would not run, browser still worked, rebooted a couple more times with Chkdsk running once and not liking a bunch of regions on my no errors reported raid mirror, now boot manager not found with 2TB sitting in the raid mirror.

I'm buying a pair of new WD Red for the raid mirror, a Samsung 840 for the Win7, relegating the old Seagates to offline backup duty, and generally considering a completely new system from the MSI 780G, but keeping my AMD 905e.

You should wait until renethx finishes the new guide before sending payment, he seems to have been very busy perhaps with work or just life and has had very little time for these guides for quite some time now.

#18,839 ·
Just getting the parts ready to build my first HTPC. Will be used for just playing movies from HD or NAS, and blu ray from the drive. Possibly netflix too.

CPU - i3-3220

Motherboard - gigabyte H77M-D3H

4GB ddr3-1600

WD 2TB HD - wd20earx

Kingston V200 SSD

Asus BC-12B1ST blu ray drive

hec 7K09BBA30FNRX case

Mostly everything I have is ripped at 1080p. I also want my AVR to do the sound processing.

good system? limiting factors? upgrade anything?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.