AVS Forum banner

Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server

Tags
computers
6M views 20K replies 2K participants last post by  Kenshiro 26 
#1 ·
 Guide to Building a Home Theater PC

Buyer's Guide to Building a Home Theater PC - October/November 2011

Announcement (updated on October 1, 2011)

Here is the basic plan for "Buyer's Guide to Building a Home Theater PC" (formerly "Recommended HTPC Systems"):

1. Issues and Editions. The guide will be issued every month, on around the 20th day of the month, in the PDF format (a PDF reader is required to read it, such as Adobe Reader [ free download ] or Adobe Acrobat).

2. Asking a Donation! I am asking a donation for the latest issue ( why ). There are two choices:
  • Single issue ($4 USD or more): You can download the current latest issue.

• 4 issues ($10 USD or more): You are eligible to download 4 consecutive issues. For example if you send a donation on April 1st, you can download March (during 4/1-4/20), April (during 4/20-5/20), May (during 5/20-6/20) and June (during 6/20-7/13) issues. How this works: Each donator will be provided with a download link to the issue file, which is valid for 2500 hours = 104 days = 3 months and 2 weeks (for example, April 1 to July 13 if you donate on April 1). I will update the file in the server on around the 20th day of each month and will announce it in this thread. Then you can download the new issue at the link provided. You will use the link repeatedly during the subscription period. So please keep the download link.

At this time only a donation by PayPal is accepted. Click the button

then select either one described above, click the PayPal icon and follow the instruction in the loaded page to send a donation. If you don't have a PayPal account, don't worry, click the link "Continue" following "Don't have a PayPal account?" in the page to create an account (it's free) and send money using your credit card or bank account. You will receive a download link instantly. Note that
  • The price field is editable; please change it and donate as much as you can.

• Please add your User Name at AVS Forum in "Add special instructions to merchant" if you want to get my support via PM or posts in the thread. Otherwise I can't identify you with an AVS Forum member unless your user name is the same as your PayPal account holder name.

3. Older Issues will be released free. Older issues will be released for free, either in this thread like the previous "Recommended Systems" or in PDF for download or both. I am planning on releasing a couple of months old issue every couple of months.

4. Have a Question? If you have a question (how to build, how to configure or whatever), please either post it in the thread (yes, please post any question in the thread, hoping that invoke interest in the latest guide
), PM me or email me. I will try to answer it; if I can't, somebody else may be able to help you.

Why do I ask a donation? Maintaining the guide consists of
  • Research latest hardware components;
  • Acquire key hardware components and do lots of experiments;
  • Write the information obtained in a readable form, that requires lots of time, meditation and inspiration (not kidding).

Among them the most difficult part is the second part because it involves lots of money ($1000 or more per month, not kidding, I consider $1000 is the minimum amount to maintain and keep the guide up to date) and currently it relies heavily on the donations. So please consider making a donation, as much as you can afford, if you think the guide is helpful and want to see it updated for some time to come.

BTW the amount of donations in 2010 is
  • October 16 2010 - November 15 2010: $60
  • September 16 2010 - October 15 2010: $85
  • August 16 2010 - September 15 2010: $145

This is good enough to buy a motherboard per month, but nothing more.
This guide is going to die sooner or later if this continues.

Release Notes
  • October/November 2011 Issue: Released on December 11, 2011.

- Sandy Bridge-E LGA 2011 systems took the place of 3-year-old Bloomfield LGA 1366 systems.

- All systems were reexamined and nearly half of the systems were updated or completely changed because of new hardware components and price change of many components.

Sample (21 pages):
  • August/September 2011 Issue: Released on October 1, 2011.

- The low-end and mid-range systems are restructured.

- Nearly half of the systems were updated or completely changed because of new hardware components and price change of many components.

• June/July 2011 Issue: Released on July 14, 2011. The June issue has been delayed because of the delay of the May issue. So I decided to combine the June and July issues.

- AMD A-Series APU (Llano) systems took place of all the Socket AM3 systems in the low-end and mid-range AMD systems.

- Nearly half of the systems were updated because of new hardware components (new AMD 990FX/990X/SB950 chipset motherboards, new X58/ICH10R chipset motherboards etc.) and price change of many components.

• May 2011 Issue: Released on June 3, 2011.

- All LGA 775 systems were replaced by LGA 1155 systems finally.

- Intel Z68 chipset motherboards are used in place of P67 in many systems.

- Standard Mini-ITX and Budget/Low-End microATX/ATX systems were completely re-organized reflecting the recent release of Pentium Sandy Bridge processor.

- 15-bay server systems are now using an Intel processor and Intel-brand motherboard (one reason for that is Intel Gb LAN).

- 20-24 bay server systems have more processor/motherboard options.

• April 2011 Issue ( free download ): Released on April 23, 2011.

- All Radeon HD 5xxx cards were replaced by the latest Radeon HD 6xxx.

- Several older motherboards and SSDs were replaced by new ones.

- A Xeon LGA 1155 workstation was added.

- Server systems were streamlined and divided into two categories: Server I (12 and 15-drive systems) and Server II (20 and 24-drive systems).

• March 2011 Issue ( free download ): Released on March 21, 2011.

- Every Intel LGA 1156 (Clarkdale and Lynnfield) system was replaced by a LGA 1155 (Sandy Bridge) system.

- "Intel for 3D" (Clarkdale + a discrete graphics) systems were removed because Sandy Bridge supports 3D.

- A LGA 1366 workstation was added.

- Rocket 620 SATA controller card in a couple of server systems was replaced by Rosewill RC-211 because Rocket 620 BIOS disables other controller's BIOS.

• February 2011 Issue ( free download ): The initial version released on February 23, 2011, the final version released on March 4, 2011.

- An AMD E-350 APU system was added in the mini-ITX system ("Budge Mini-ITX System").

- Intel High-End/Premium/Ultimate Systems and Workstation were all updated (i.e. Lynnfield systems were revived) because Intel recalled Intel 6 Series chipsets .

- Minor changes in the server systems (new motherboards, a new SATA 6.0Gbps controller card) for better cost/performance.

- Every single system was reviewed and components were replaced if necessary.

• January 2011 Issue ( free download ): Issued on January 20, 2011. As Intel Sandy Bridge quad-core processors were released on January 9, mainly Intel High-End/Premium/Ultimate Systems were updated.

• December 2010 Issue ( free download ): Issued on January 5, 2011. This is the first PDF version of the Buyer's Guide. 80 pages in US letter. Almost every section of the June 2010 issue was updated. This issue is also posted here .

Past Guides in This Thread

This is a guide to building a HTPC (Home Theater PC), a revised, enlarged version of Core 2 Motherboard Complete List - With Hardware Recommendations for a HD HTPC . In general emphasis is on the aspect of smooth playback of HD contents (including Blu-ray Disc, HD DVD and 1080p H.264 files), hence I added "HD (High Definition)" in the title. The main parts are:
  • Part I. Hardware Guide
  • Part II. Assembling Guide (under construction)
  • Part III. Software Guide (under construction)

"Hardware Guide" includes a practical selection guide of various hardware components as well as theoretical aspects of hardware if necessary. This part should be helpful to select right components quickly when building a HTPC. "Assembling Guide" is a practical guide to assembling a HTPC. I will choose one of the recommended systems in Part I and give a step-by-step instruction of assembling components. The content of "Software Guide" is still undecided (I welcome suggestions).

There are six appendices:
  • Appendix I. Overview of Intel CPU
  • Appendix II. Overview of AMD CPU
  • Appendix III. Complete List of Core 2 Motherboards
  • Appendix IV. Complete List of AM2 Motherboards
  • Appendix V. Motherboard Naming Rules
  • Appendix VI. List of Bandwidth

These are for reference only.

Then follow

Main Part
  1. Hardware Guide (Page 1)
    1. Introduction (under construction)
    2. Recommended Systems
      • Peripheral Components
      • MicroATX System
      • ATX System
      • Home Media Server
    3. CPU and CPU Cooler
    4. Motherboard
      • Intel Platform
      • AMD Platform
    5. Memory
    6. Graphics Device
    7. Sound Device
    8. HDD
    9. Optical Drive
    10. TV Tuner
    11. PSU
    12. Case
    13. Input Devices
  2. Assembling Guide (Page 2) (under construction)
  3. Software Guide (Page 3) (under construction)

Appendix
  1. Intel Processors – An Overview (Page 4)
    • Contents
    • Preface
    1. History
    2. P6 Microarchitecture
    3. NetBurst Microarchitecture
    4. Mobile Microarchitecture
    5. Core Microarchitecture
    6. Atom Microarchitecture
    7. Nehalem Microarchitecture
  2. AMD Processors – An Overview (Page 5)
    • Contents
    • Preface
    1. History
    2. K5 Processor
    3. K6 Processor
    4. K7 Processor
    5. K8 Processor
    6. K10 Processor
  3. Core 2 Motherboards – A Complete List of (Page 6)
    • Contents
    • Preface
    1. Overview of Recent Chipsets for the Intel Platform
    2. Intel 865 Chipset Motherboards
    3. Intel 945/946 Express Chipset Motherboards
    4. Intel 975X Express Chipset Motherboards
    5. Intel 965 Express Chipset Motherboards
    6. Intel 3 Series Chipset Motherboards
    7. Intel 4 Series Chipset Motherboards
    8. Intel Tylersburg & Ibexpeak Chipset Motherboards
    9. NVIDIA nForce4 Series for Intel Chipset Motherboards
    10. NVIDIA nForce 500 Series for Intel Chipset Motherboards
    11. NVIDIA nForce 600i Series Chipset Motherboards
    12. NVIDIA nForce 700i Series Chipset Motherboards
    13. NVIDIA GeForce 7-Series GPU and nForce 6-Series MCP Motherboards
    14. NVIDIA GeForce 8-Series mGPU Motherboards
    15. ATI Chipset Motherboards
    16. SiS Chipset Motherboards
    17. VIA Chipset Motherboards
    18. Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Motherboards
    19. Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Motherboards
  4. AM2 Motherboards – A Complete List of (Page 7)
    • Contents
    • Preface
    1. Overview of Recent Chipsets for the AMD Platform
    2. AMD 480 Series Chipset Motherboards
    3. AMD 580 Series Chipset Motherboards
    4. AMD 690 Series Chipset Motherboards
    5. AMD 7-Series Chipset Motherboards
    6. AMD 8-Series Chipset Motherboards
    7. NVIDIA nForce3 Series Chipset Motherboards
    8. NVIDIA nForce4 Series for AMD Chipset Motherboards
    9. NVIDIA nForce 500 Series for AMD Chipset Motherboards
    10. NVIDIA nForce 600a Series Chipset Motherboards
    11. NVIDIA nForce 700a Series Chipset Motherboards
    12. NVIDIA GeForce 6-Series GPU and nForce4 Series MCP Motherboards
    13. NVIDIA GeForce 7-Series GPU and nForce 6-Series MCP Motherboards
    14. NVIDIA GeForce 8-Series mGPU Motherboards
    15. SiS Chipset Motherboards
    16. ULi Chipset Motherboards
    17. VIA Chipset Motherboards
  5. Naming Rules of Motherboards (Page 8)
  6. List of Bandwidth (Page 8)
  7. MSI K8NGM2-FID: The Definitive Guide (page 9)

Discussion Posts (Click Here)

See less See more
#19,301 ·
Hey all, could anyone offer me a quick recommendation for a MB/CPU combination to replace my existing configuration?
Pentium G3258
MSI H97M-G43

#19,303 ·
Thanks. I haven't been following Intel processors all that closely in the past few years; why the Pentium rather than a Core i series?
Performance-wise Pentium/Celeron is enough for almost all purposes in video playback, unless you are interested in multiple instances of transcoding and/or HEVC CPU decoding.

#19,304 ·
@armstrr

For starters you may want to build an all-in-one system, that can be turned into a server if you want to build a dedicated HTPC later. Roku requires transcoding. For a single instance of transcoding, any dual core processor is enough. For multiple (simultaneous) instances of transcoding, Core i5 or even i7 is recommended.

For graphics, yes, integrated GPU is enough for 1080p. It is also enough for upscaling DVD and 720p unless you want the best upscaling algorithm (for which you will want to add a discrete graphics card as in 'Performance' systems).

Celeron / Pentium iGPU does not support Blu-ray 3D, you will need Core i3 or higher for this purpose.

For example,

CPU: Core i5-4590
Cooler: Noctua NH-L12
MB: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, that supports up to 8 SATA devices.
Mem: F3-1600C9D-8GAB
GPU: integrated in CPU
SSD: Crucial MX100 256MB
PSU: Seasonic S12G-550 (non-modular) or Seasoic SSR-550RM (modular) or Rosewill CAPSTONE-550
HBA: Syba SY-PEX40039 (2-port) or Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 (8-port) if you want to attach more than 8 SATA drives.
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2
OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM (Professional if you want WMC), with StartIsBack Plus (and Stardock ShadowFX)
Disk mangement software: StableBit DrivePool (create two pools, one for normal desktop usage, the other for movies) and DisParity for the movie pool. This combination is more flexible than FlexRAID's RAID-F.
Server software: Media Browser Server or Plex Media Server
Media Center: Media Browser Theater or XBMC (maybe with an external player such as MPC-BE) that works with the above server
Remote: Splashtop (there are more choices)
Thx. I have ordered most of the parts. Will the noctua really be necessary? I'm guessing it can be added later if temps are too high, correct? And what would that threshold be? Also, is there a guide to setting up disparity and the drive pool software that was mentioned?

#19,305 · (Edited)
Thx. I have ordered most of the parts. Will the noctua really be necessary? I'm guessing it can be added later if temps are too high, correct? And what would that threshold be? Also, is there a guide to setting up disparity and the drive pool software that was mentioned?
Yup, buy a third-pary cooler only when you feel the stock cooler is too loud under load.

Setting up DrivePool is very easy. StableBit DrivePool User Manual > Quick Start is a good starting point. You can add existing drives with data easily. I also recommend using StableBit Scanner along with DrivePool ($35 in total), that watches S.M.A.R.T values and scans the entire surface of each drive of the system periodically.

Setting up vilett's disparity is also very easy and intuitive. Unfortunately I can't find a good instruction. A review on disparity and its own forum may be helpful. I recommedn Verson 0.40 beta.

I would like to write a short instruction somewhere.

#19,306 ·
The majority of what you want to do can be handled by most modest HTPC. If you want to upscale to 4K, chances are you are going to be using something like MadVR. In that case, the limits of what you can do on that front will be largely dictated by the limits of a discrete video card. 3D can be a bit trickier. If you are looking to play 3D from the PC, the easiest way is to use PowerDVD or Stereoscopic player. However, there are now ways to rip streams and tag them so that 3D televisions will identify the stream as 3D and display it as such.

As for getting along with the rest of the system, that should largely be a non-issue. Once the HTPC is hooked up, it should be have like any other attached piece of equipment. The one place you may run into issues is that HDMI handshakes can be an odd creature. It is not terribly uncommon for units to have to turn on and connect in a certain order for all functionality to be realized.

Thanks Aryn. Any recommendations on the card..motherboard..processor? Im waiting on the fractal 605 node here in Dubai. As soon as I get a lock on one, ill place the orders.

A harmony remote should sort the hdmi issue I guess.

#19,308 ·
I just ripped Godzilla using MakeMKV. The DTS HD Master worked perfectly but the picture during dark scenes is way to dark campare to when i play the disk. You can barely see the people in some scenes. My goal here is to research the quality before i build an HTPC. So for now i'm using my laptop which has an Intel i7-3720 with 16 GB of ram. This should be more powerful then the i3-4130T with 4 GB I would plan on building. Could the issue still be my laptop or is this the video quality I should expect?

#19,309 ·
I just ripped Godzilla using MakeMKV. The DTS HD Master worked perfectly but the picture during dark scenes is way to dark campare to when i play the disk. You can barely see the people in some scenes. My goal here is to research the quality before i build an HTPC. So for now i'm using my laptop which has an Intel i7-3720 with 16 GB of ram. This should be more powerful then the i3-4130T with 4 GB I would plan on building. Could the issue still be my laptop or is this the video quality I should expect?
It sounds like you don't have contrast / brightness / gamma set properly on the TV, or the TV is expecting "limited" (which is the standard) dynamic range ("16-234")input but your PC is outputting "full" (0-256). This is a common thing that needs to be adjusted when using a PC with a TV. PCs generally work with the full range, TV content is generally limited, and when there is a mismatch you see "black crush." Essentially, if the PC is outputting stuff using 1-15 for dark grays, your TV is interpreting all of that (anything 16 or lower) as absolute black.

Adjust settings and you should be good to go.

Marc

#19,310 · (Edited)
It sounds like you don't have contrast / brightness / gamma set properly on the TV, or the TV is expecting "limited" (which is the standard) dynamic range ("16-234")input but your PC is outputting "full" (0-256). This is a common thing that needs to be adjusted when using a PC with a TV. PCs generally work with the full range, TV content is generally limited, and when there is a mismatch you see "black crush." Essentially, if the PC is outputting stuff using 1-15 for dark grays, your TV is interpreting all of that (anything 16 or lower) as absolute black.

Adjust settings and you should be good to go.

Marc
I had my TV professionally calibrated and fear adjusting my TV setting. Maybe I just don't understanding the 1-15 adjustments. Are you saying i need to adjust my TV every time when using the PC. FYI - i have every connection going through my AV receiver so to avoid using multiple outputs from TV. Thanks for the help Marc

Edit - maybe i can tell the PC to preform limited dynamic range :)

#19,311 ·
I had my TV professionally calibrated and fear adjusting my TV setting. Maybe I just don't understanding the 1-15 adjustments. Are you saying i need to adjust my TV every time when using the PC. FYI - i have every connection going through my AV receiver so to avoid using multiple outputs from TV. Thanks for the help Marc

Edit - maybe i can tell the PC to preform limited dynamic range :)
OK, if your TV is good to go and calibrated, I wouldn't mess with it. I understand all your inputs go through the receiver, so presumably all of the sources need to be outputting the same way so that they can be interpreted uniformly by the TV. What I would do is go into the TV settings and verify that the input dynamic range is set to be (probably) RGB Limited. You're looking, not changing! Other choices it might be set to (less likely though) are RGB full and various YCBR type things.

Once you've done that, and I'd bet big money it's RGB Limited, you go into your PC settings and make sure it is set to output that range. And, your playing software may also need to be similarly adjusted. Once you do that, you should be ready for beautiful playback. Also consider getting a calibration disc (the AVSHD disc I believe can be downloaded for free) and check to make sure your contrast / brightness are good. Since your TV is calibrated, do any changes needed at the PC level.

Marc

#19,312 ·
Bumping for the APU pricedrops. Didn't the Trinity A8K cover all but 1080p60 for everything but JincAR? It had 256 radeon cores, like the Kaveri A6 does. Does the drop in CPU core performance make up the loss?
These APUs (Trinity, Kaveri) support upscaling SD/HD 24p to FHD by Jinc3AR. Beyond that you should condider a discrete card.

Dropping in CPU core performance has no effect. Simply there are not enough shader uints in APUs.

Attachments

#19,313 ·
Hi Renè and all...

So, the initial build is up and running... :)
Here's the set-up... it is what you guys suggested:
CPU: Core i3-4130
CPU Cooler: Stock
MB: MSI H97M-G43
Mem: F3-1600C9D-8GAB
GPU: Embedded Intel HD 4400
SSD: Crucial 128GB MX100
PSU: SSR-450RM
Case: Silverstone Grandia GD04 Case

Installed OpenELEC/XBMC and fired up at first attempt...

I'm now enjoying all the eye candy XBMC+Aeon Nox can offer and I can tell it's GREAT!

Now, to complete this initial incarnation, I'd like to add an IR Remote receiver (Will be using an Harmony Remote with it...) and and internal ODD...

Please, may I have your opinions on available options for these two items?

For IR I'm mainly looking into:
- FLIRC
- MCE (RC6) Receiver (Trying to find an Inteset dealer in EU... but this particular brand seems to be sold in US only... I'll resort to a Remote + Receiver Set, if I cannot find the Receiver alone...)

Pros and Cons for both of them?

About Internal ODD...
I was about to buy a BR/DVD Burner, but reading better I came to the conclusin that a BR Burner is a waste of money on an HTPC and that a BR Player /DVD Burner combo is a better buy... Am I overlooking anything here? Is there anything I should take care of when chosing the ODD (Apart than chosing a "short" model, which is a better choice for the GD04)
Do some brands/models work better than others when ripping discs (Both BR and DVD) to mkv?

Last question...

My GD04 came with a "Lazy" case fan... One that often doesn't start... I just didn't want to send the whole case back, as I got a good deal on it... Good suggestions for a Replacement? One that is as quiet, if not better, than the stock ones?

Man! I wish I went the HTPC route sooner... I'm enjoying building this up A LOT!

Thank you all for the very knowledgeable advices dispensed on this Thread/Forum

Regards
Joe

#19,314 · (Edited)
Hey guys I'm putting together a HTPC build and I'm interested in feedback:

Purpose / Facts:
  • Smooth playback of 1080p movies/tv to my AVR (via HDMI). Also 5.1 music.
  • running XBMC on Win 7 Ultimate 64, with some basic background tasks, music playback via foobar
  • Serve data to my LAN from attached Drobo 5D, fast LAN important.
  • Is always on; energy use is a concern.
  • Lives on a rack shelf in a closet. Noise is not a concern.
  • I like low profile black component-style micro-ATX cases.
  • I don't care about TV tuner or transcoding or 4K or 3D, but I do want some longevity and upgradability.

Parts:
  • CPU - Intel Core i5-4440S 2.8GHz Quad-Core (Intel HD 4600 graphics)
  • CPU Cooler - Zalman CNPS2X CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard - Asus Z97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • RAM - G.Skill Ares 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
  • SSD - Corsair Force LX Series 128GB
  • Case - Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 (Black) HTPC Case
  • PSU - Rosewill 500W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Optical - Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

Currently $734 for the hardware

#19,315 · (Edited)
These APUs (Trinity, Kaveri) support upscaling SD/HD 24p to FHD by Jinc3AR. Beyond that you should condider a discrete card.
Thanks. The A6 Kaveri (same # of GPU cores as the Trin/Rich A8) is down to about 58 bucks, bundled with a board at MC for $80 plus tax. Seems a low price for something that should handle up to Level 4.

Edit: and for 45W TDP

#19,316 · (Edited)
Hey guys I'm putting together a HTPC build and I'm interested in feedback:

Purpose / Facts:
  • Smooth playback of 1080p movies/tv to my AVR (via HDMI). Also 5.1 music.
  • running XBMC on Win 7 Ultimate 64, with some basic background tasks, music playback via foobar
  • Serve data to my LAN from attached Drobo 5D, fast LAN important.
  • Is always on; energy use is a concern.
  • Lives on a rack shelf in a closet. Noise is not a concern.
  • I like low profile black component-style micro-ATX cases.
  • I don't care about TV tuner or transcoding or 4K or 3D, but I do want some longevity and upgradability.

Parts:
  • CPU - Intel Core i5-4440S 2.8GHz Quad-Core (Intel HD 4600 graphics)
  • CPU Cooler - Zalman CNPS2X CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard - Asus Z97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • RAM - G.Skill Ares 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
  • SSD - Corsair Force LX Series 128GB
  • Case - Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 (Black) HTPC Case
  • PSU - Rosewill 500W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Optical - Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

Currently $734 for the hardware
From my personal HTPC research that is overkill, see:

http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/value-htpc/
and
http://www.techbuyersguru.com/HTPCbuild.php

my htpc w/o 2 TB, hardware only, would save $300 and accomplish the same:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/janick/saved/LB7MnQ

#19,317 · (Edited)
From my personal HTPC research that is overkill, see:

http://mymediaexperience.com/htpc-builds/value-htpc/
and
http://www.techbuyersguru.com/HTPCbuild.php

my htpc w/o 2 TB, hardware only, would save $300 and accomplish the same:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/janick/saved/LB7MnQ
Thanks janick. My only hesitation is the video performance between intel 4400 and 4600 graphics. Could this limit my playback options/performance/codec choices? Also, this HTPC will be a central data hub on my LAN, so I need good multitasking and speed between USB3 and ethernet. Is the H97M-D3H + i3 up to the task?

#19,318 ·
Thanks janick. My only hesitation is the video performance between intel 4400 and 4600 graphics. Could this limit my playback options/performance/codec choices? Also, this HTPC will be a central data hub on my LAN, so I need good multitasking and speed between USB3 and ethernet. Is the H97M-D3H up to the task?
I'd like to defer to somebody with a little more knowledge on those specific tasks. I'd still be inclined to say yes but there are more qualified people on here that can answer better.

#19,319 · (Edited)
Hi guys I had ventured into a HTPC build about a year ago, unfortunately when I rebooted the computer after installing updates the computer simply shut off and wouldnt turn on again, being extremely busy and absentminded I left the HTPC aside and didn't bother getting it looked at /repaired until very recently.

It turns out only the motherboard is dead, it's still under warranty, but that's going to take a long time to deal with and may not have a positive result

So I figured I may as well upgrade

Unfortunately my old unit is running on LGA 1155 socket and motherboard options are minimal in that regard, at least locally.

So I'm looking at going to the LGA 1150 socket route which means new motherboard and new cpu! unfortunately I don't know which cpu to get and if i would be going overboard with my choice so hopefully you guys can offer a guiding hand here

My purpose:

To stream to multiple TV's, typically 2 at the same time but up to 4 TV's
The unit will be running my full blu-rays (ripped to hd) or playing the latest disc that i've yet to convert so if streaming to more than 1 tv i don't want any lag from dealing with these files (especially to my home theatre)
Lossless audio bitstreaming to my home theatre will be a must, the other tv's don't need it.
very little gaming if any but when there is gaming it will be the latest shooters like BF4 (doesn't need to be max settings, just be able to play)

These are my salvaged components:

Fractal Design Node 605 - Case
Corsair 650W Gold - PSU
Radeon HD 7870 - video card
Kingston HyperX Blu Black 8GB 2x4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - Memory
Kingston HyperX 120gb - SSD
Seagate Barracuda 4TB - HDD x4
Noctua NH-U9B SE2 - Heatsink
Cougar Vortex 120mm - Fans x 4
Panasonic BD - blu-ray player
Syba 2ch Sata II controller - (unneeded with the new MB i'm planning on)

This is what i'm looking at adding:

Asus Maximum VI Gene mATX - Motherboard
i5 4590 or Xeon E3-1230 V3 - CPU's

I'm thinking the i5 will be more than enough but i'm wondering if the Xeon will be more ideal? given the htpc will always be on and streaming to multiple tvs? (does the extra cache and server features improve the htpc capability?)

Thanks guys all recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

#19,320 ·
Originally posted in the SC-65 Receiver thread as it and my HTPC are not playing nice with each other.

Also reviewing the software thread, I'm now guessing that's most of my problem... I thought I understood this stuff, I don't know crap :)

I have this MB
ASRock H97M-ITX 1150 mITX Intel Motherboard

Since I'm struggling with audio so much, would I be better served with add on video/audio card? If so, what style, price point should I be looking at?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.