Antec 2480 Case: Need A DVD Burner w/ Matching Silver Bezel - Where? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 11-28-2007, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So like a lot of new HTPC people, I just bought an Antec 2480 case. The last component that I need before I actually assemble the machine, however, is a DVD burner.

Can anyone recommend a burner that matches the silver bezel on the 2480? I tried searching for this issue but couldn't find any recommendations other than "paint a black one".

And a lot of the silver ones on NewEgg (there aren't many) have terrible reviews.

Your suggestions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 11-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

I once read that someone took a Dremel to the back of the case's blank silver faceplate that you remove to install the drive. By filing off the tabs which hold it in place, and filing off some raised ribs which go across the back, you're left with a flat piece of plastic.

Now, recess your drive a bit more in the optical cage, and use double-sided (foam?) tape to adhere the front of your drive's tray to the back of this blank. When the drive ejects, the blank will come out toward you.

If you need to see the activity light from your drive, measure for its location, and drill a small hole.

To be able to use the drive's eject button, this fellow adhered a spacer to the back of the blank at the location where the drive's eject button would be. He could press on the front of the blank at this location, and the spacer would depress the drive's eject button.

EDIT: I found the text I remembered seeing on another forum:

Quote:

The only other gripe I had was the drive bay situation. As good looking a case this is, I was dissapointed Antec didn't use stealthed drive bay covers for the CD drives. So whatever drive you choose, make sure its bezel matches because it will show. However I stealthed the DVD drive myself, using the factory drive bay blank. It was time consuming but pretty simple. Remove the entire bezel, including the door, from your CD drive. Then take the drive bay blank and use a Dremel to cut off the tabs and sand down the backside until you have one flat piece. Use double stick tape to attach it to the drive. When done, I had a case that looked exactly like the stock photo above. Antec could've done better and saved me the time, but at $75 for the case, I can't complain...

notice the hole I drilled for the status light to show thru...

I stuck a few small squares of double-sided foam tape together (about 3-4 of them), enough to reach the eject button, and stuck it to the backside of the blank. So I just push on the lower corner and it opens. Others have used cut up erasers, plastic, etc. Anything works as long as it reaches the eject button.

This approach may enable you to use a black optical drive, and have a cover for it that exactly matches the rest of your case's front.

ND
post #3 of 49 Old 11-28-2007, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

This one works well in my NSK2480 case.
post #4 of 49 Old 11-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Pics from that other guy ("aerodynamics") at the forum-not-to-be-mentioned:

Hmmm... pics won't show... but you can go see them at:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...0461&p=8700267 (scroll to post 102 in that thread to see more pics)
post #5 of 49 Old 11-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Since all of the accents on the case are black, I think that a Black DVD drive would look just fine. (But naturally, everyone's visual tastes are different... and that workaround to re-use the covers is clever!)
post #6 of 49 Old 11-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

With apologies to Don (whose original post in this thread is to request suggestions for silver-colored DVD burners), I thought I'd take the idea of stealthing the drive, give it a shot, and post the results in this thread.

Again, props to "aerodynamics" at the forum-not-to-be-mentioned for the idea.

Here's a pictorial description of the process:

1. I used a sharp utility knife to trim away the tabs and ribs from the back of the coverplate.

2. Here's a close-up of the trimmed coverplate:

3. I recently bought a pack of those plastic hooks that use the 3M "command adhesive" strips - double-sided tape which is removable by pulling on the tab. They always include a bunch of extra tape strips. They're not as thick as the foam double-sided tape you can buy on a roll or in squares.

(not shown: I measured the location of the drive's LED activity light, marked it on the back of the coverplate, and drilled a small hole at that location.

4. Next, I installed the strips on the drive tray front:

5. Then, I peeled the red paper from those strips to expose the front adhesive, and carefully pressed the coverplate against the tape while ensuring it was centered over the drive opening:

6. Here's a shot with the activity light shining through (blurry because I couldn't use the flash):

7. The good news: with my Samsung SH-203B and its prominent eject button, I can simply press the coverplate near the bottom-right-side and cause the eject button to depress. The bad news: my drive causes the coverplate to protrude slightly more forward than I would like:

I had hoped I could slide the drive back in its cage a bit to align the coverplate at the proper depth. But my drive's mounting holes align with the case's optical cage mounting holes, not its "slots." I can't think of any ways to recess it further.

If you decide to do this, I made two mistakes you can learn from.

First, after drilling the hole for the activity LED, I decided to take some 100 grit sandpaper to the back of the coverplate to smooth down some of the bumps left from the trimming. I stupidly placed the coverplate on some plywood, painted side down, and pressed and rubbed the sandpaper on the back. I scratched up the front of my coverplate on the plywood!

Second, after mounting my coverplate on the drive tray the first time, I realized the coverplate stuck out more than I would like, and I wanted to attempt to slide the drive a bit back in its cage. Of course, there's no easy way to get the cage out of the case with this coverplate mounted to the drive! So, I pulled the coverplate off of my drive, then pulled the drive cage, realized I couldn't adjust the depth of the drive, reinstalled the drive cage, and decided not to re-use that tape; I assumed it would have lost much of its tack. I removed the tape, and replaced it with two new command strips, and re-installed the coverplate to the drive tray.

With the way it sticks out, I'm not sure I'm going to keep it this way. I didn't think a black drive looked that bad to begin with. And I'm considering mounting a black-colored card reader below it someday.

Hope this helps anyone who is considering stealthing the drive.

ND
post #7 of 49 Old 11-29-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For anyone wishing to paint their black drive, this is the paint you want:

Quick Color 2858 Silver
UPC- 0 20066 28589 0

I got it at Pep Boys
post #8 of 49 Old 11-29-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimre View Post

This one works well in my NSK2480 case.

I second this, I use the same drive. It just happens to be the same optiarc drive that i use at work in my robotic duplicators. I have run ~20,000 cds through these with no failures so far. Rip times on DVDs 5.5-6.5gb run around 12-15 minutes on my system (AMD X2 6000+, WD SATA HD, 2 gigs of ram on XP).
post #9 of 49 Old 11-29-2007, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

For anyone wishing to paint their black drive, this is the paint you want:

Quick Color 2858 Silver
UPC- 0 20066 28589 0

I got it at Pep Boys

UPC code says it's Rust-Oleum. Is it a paint or a vinyl dye?

East Lansing (Lansing, MI DMA) A/V enthusiast getting content from xfinity, Netflix, OTA and off the shelf-o'-discs. A 4228 in the attic is almost good enough.
post #10 of 49 Old 11-29-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Must be a Rustoleum brand. Has ROC Sales, INC on the label, with the same address as on Rustoleum cans.

It's labeled 'Fast drying all purpose spray enamel'. It was with all the car paint cans.
post #11 of 49 Old 11-30-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

Must be a Rustoleum brand. Has ROC Sales, INC on the label, with the same address as on Rustoleum cans.

It's labeled 'Fast drying all purpose spray enamel'. It was with all the car paint cans.

Might not be the best paint for a bezel.

Hardcore modders might want to correct me here, but my understanding is that basic paint doesn't reliably play nice with computer plastic - it eventually chips and flakes off, particularly when it's a frequently-touched part like a drive bezel. It's analogous to painting oil over acrylic. As with the paint analogy, there are primers to improve the outcome. (Google "flexible primer" "case mod".)

Vinyl dye is more like stain; it seeps into the plastic. I've only used it a couple of times, but what I like best is that it doesn't chip and minor errors seem to self-correct. Too much paint? Seeps in and spreads out over time. I have a case that I dyed in 2003 that looks better (more uniform) today than it did four years ago.

East Lansing (Lansing, MI DMA) A/V enthusiast getting content from xfinity, Netflix, OTA and off the shelf-o'-discs. A 4228 in the attic is almost good enough.
post #12 of 49 Old 11-30-2007, 10:02 AM

I found This one at Directron.com. It is silver and looks like it will match. The regular Pioneer 112D also gets good reviews at Newegg.com. Directron actually has a couple other silver ones also. I get mine in a couple days, so I'll update you guys here when I get it as far as how well it matches.

It looks like Newegg is not selling the silver Sony NEC anymore.
post #13 of 49 Old 12-01-2007, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Shoot. I can't believe NewEgg JUST stopped selling that drive.

Since I'm not much of a DIY person, I'd certainly welcome any pictures you could post HeelPhan about that Pioneer unit.

I like how Directron charges an optional $10 "testing" fee. I know their reputation is generally good, but still...
post #14 of 49 Old 12-01-2007, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And thanks everyone for the thread contributions!
post #15 of 49 Old 12-30-2007, 09:17 AM

I have been thinking about using adhesive foil, it is available in numerous colors as well as metalic, like gold, silver og even brushed steel-look. It would be fairly cheap and how hard can it be to attach it, without funking it too much up.

Just a thought, or else spray paint is probably the best option.
post #16 of 49 Old 12-30-2007, 09:32 AM
<><
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
try replacing it w/ a replacement cover for a P160, which has the stealth dvd cover...i believe it fits w/ a lil modification as well.
here's a thread w/ some pictures: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1140436
post #17 of 49 Old 01-14-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND23 View Post

Again, props to "aerodynamics" at the forum-not-to-be-mentioned for the idea.

7. The good news: with my Samsung SH-203B and its prominent eject button, I can simply press the coverplate near the bottom-right-side and cause the eject button to depress. The bad news: my drive causes the coverplate to protrude slightly more forward than I would like:
I had hoped I could slide the drive back in its cage a bit to align the coverplate at the proper depth. But my drive's mounting holes align with the case's optical cage mounting holes, not its "slots." I can't think of any ways to recess it further.

Hate to bring this up after you've performed the mod, but if you re-read the OP by aerodynamics you would read how he states to: "Remove the entire bezel, including the door, from your CD drive". You simply taped the cover right onto the door and CD/DVD bezel. If you remove the black bezel, the thickness of the cover should roughly be equal to the thickness of the bezel and then you wouldn't have the protruding cover....
post #18 of 49 Old 01-14-2008, 11:39 AM

will this one work?

ebay item number 280190402054 ... not sure how to post links
post #19 of 49 Old 01-30-2008, 10:33 PM

has none thought about removing the faceplate of the case and painting it black.
This may seem backwards thinking, but the faceplate appears to be cheaply painted itself and made of a more paint friendly type of plastic than the dvd drives.
post #20 of 49 Old 01-31-2008, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

I've certainly thought about it. Putting any effort into investigating the possibility is another matter though.
post #21 of 49 Old 01-31-2008, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

If it helps anyone, I saw a post (I think on Hardforums) about how someone used the stealthed drive cover that came with an Antec P160wf on the 2480. So I looked online at antec's site, and you can order the drive cover for $10 each. I figure the ability to make it truly stealthed and look nice was worth the $20 (got 2).

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81602

And the specific Model/Part is P160DBCD525

Hope it helps someone!
post #22 of 49 Old 01-31-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Believe it or not I actually think that a silver drive would look out of place here.
The whole case is black except the front panel. Even the bottom part of the front is black.
You will never get a colour match on the silver, under different light it will show differently, the texture will be different etc.
Black will offer the desired contrast and is easier to match.
In addition any painting/sticking/modding will not have the oem look, quality, use or feel.
But looking at the replies here I'm probably the only one who thinks that
post #23 of 49 Old 01-31-2008, 11:11 PM

I am going to look into painting the whole facia either a much darker silver or black. Then clearcoat for a highend finish. this will take me some time. I would appreciate any input.
post #24 of 49 Old 02-01-2008, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Memorex makes drives that have silver drive doors. Mine is almost a perfect match. I just got lucky as this was just a left-over drive from a previous build. They still make them like this though.

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #25 of 49 Old 02-07-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

Memorex makes drives that have silver drive doors. Mine is almost a perfect match. I just got lucky as this was just a left-over drive from a previous build. They still make them like this though.

I have that drive already in another pc. thats my backup plan I guess if I get cold feet about painting.
post #26 of 49 Old 03-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by genro View Post

If it helps anyone, I saw a post (I think on Hardforums) about how someone used the stealthed drive cover that came with an Antec P160wf on the 2480. So I looked online at antec's site, and you can order the drive cover for $10 each. I figure the ability to make it truly stealthed and look nice was worth the $20 (got 2).

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81602

And the specific Model/Part is P160DBCD525

Hope it helps someone!

Helped me...just ordered one. Thx!

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #27 of 49 Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 AM

Pioneer has new 215-series burners out, some of which come with silver bezels. They've been available in Europe for a couple of months, I think, but have yet to show up in the U.S. Here's Pioneer Europe's product page for the DVR-215DSV. There's also the DVR-215SV, which adds DVD-RAM support.
post #28 of 49 Old 03-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

I finally got around to installing the stealthed drive covers from the P160 that I ordered. Attached is a picture.

It worked pretty well, took a little while to get it set in place and had to trim the clips on the sides of the covers. They jut out from the case maybe 1cm but from a distance it looks great I think. Pics are attached.
LL
post #29 of 49 Old 03-05-2008, 12:59 PM

performance-pcs.com has some silver drives.

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
post #30 of 49 Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genro View Post

I finally got around to installing the stealthed drive covers from the P160 that I ordered. Attached is a picture.

It worked pretty well, took a little while to get it set in place and had to trim the clips on the sides of the covers. They jut out from the case maybe 1cm but from a distance it looks great I think. Pics are attached.

That looks good! Can you post a couple more pics from different angles? Maybe a couple pics of what you had to do to make it work too? I'm interested in doing the same thing. Where did you get them BTW?

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page