DVI-I to HDMI, but no Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-30-2007, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings all.

I am upgrading my HTPC. My old setup was using onboard DVI-D and optical SPDIF connected to my HDTV (HDMI in, optical in). This time around, I am using a new MB and a Gigabyte GV-NX84G256H video card for its DVI-I (no onboard DVI) with the onboard optical SPDIF to the HDTV (same HDMI in, optical in as before). The video works fine, but no audio. I also tried the onboard line-out to the HDTV line-in, still no audio. As a test, I connected the onboard line-out to a set of speakers, and voila, AUDIO!. As another test, I connected the Gigabyte's component out to the HDTV with the optical audio, and voila, AUDIO!

It seems that the HDTV is being fooled into thinking that audio is coming in via the DVI-HDMI cable and thus ignoring its optical and line in. As I said, I did not have this problem with my old setup. The only difference is that the old MB was using DVI-D and the new video card is using DVI-I.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-30-2007, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
None of the DVI(digital video interface) connections contain audio. You have to use separate stereo audio as you have tried. When you do this with a stereo interface alongside the HDMI connection on your TV you also have to tell the TV to use it instead of the audio connections withing the HDMI cable.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-30-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyspo View Post

Greetings all.

I am upgrading my HTPC. My old setup was using onboard DVI-D and optical SPDIF connected to my HDTV (HDMI in, optical in). This time around, I am using a new MB and a Gigabyte GV-NX84G256H video card for its DVI-I (no onboard DVI) with the onboard optical SPDIF to the HDTV (same HDMI in, optical in as before). The video works fine, but no audio. I also tried the onboard line-out to the HDTV line-in, still no audio. As a test, I connected the onboard line-out to a set of speakers, and voila, AUDIO!. As another test, I connected the Gigabyte's component out to the HDTV with the optical audio, and voila, AUDIO!

It seems that the HDTV is being fooled into thinking that audio is coming in via the DVI-HDMI cable and thus ignoring its optical and line in. As I said, I did not have this problem with my old setup. The only difference is that the old MB was using DVI-D and the new video card is using DVI-I.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

-John

Seems to be a familiar problem with 8 series cards from Nvidia.
xpmediacentre.com.au/community/home-theatre-audio-plasmas-lcds-projectors/23711-dvi-hdmi-analog-sound-not-working-nvidia-drivers.html

David.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-30-2007, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by david74 View Post

Seems to be a familiar problem with 8 series cards from Nvidia.
xpmediacentre.com.au/community/home-theatre-audio-plasmas-lcds-projectors/23711-dvi-hdmi-analog-sound-not-working-nvidia-drivers.html

David.

Wow! Thanks for the thread link. You're awesome! I have been searching for about a week trying to find something. So I am not the only one with this problem. My old setup was using onboard nVidea 6150; the new GB video card is using the nVidia 8400GS. Seems like its a problem not just with GB cards, but with the nVidia 8400 and 8600.

Has anyone else successfully connected via DVI to HDMI using either one of these chipsets?

--John
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page