Custom Resolution Tool for Intel Graphics: Easier Overscan Correction - Page 28 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > Home Theater Computers > Custom Resolution Tool for Intel Graphics: Easier Overscan Correction

Home Theater Computers

BrianAZ's Avatar BrianAZ
12:37 PM Liked: 10
post #811 of 1291
09-16-2008 | Posts: 179
Joined: Nov 2007
I've successfully used DTDCalc to find my optimal custom resolution for my HDTV (thanks!!). This works great for my desktop and in Media Center, but my bios and post screens all have overscan as well. It's to the point where I cannot see all of the available options and therefore cannot configure my RAID. Does anyone have any idea how I might correct that?
archibael's Avatar archibael
01:32 PM Liked: 10
post #812 of 1291
09-16-2008 | Posts: 4,098
Joined: Jul 2002
Not sure there's much to do on that one. You could conceivably hack the VideoBIOS with DTDs for a reduced overscan resolution, and then set that to the default, but I'm not sure how well it would work.
BrianAZ's Avatar BrianAZ
04:23 PM Liked: 10
post #813 of 1291
09-16-2008 | Posts: 179
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

Not sure there's much to do on that one. You could conceivably hack the VideoBIOS with DTDs for a reduced overscan resolution, and then set that to the default, but I'm not sure how well it would work.

Thanks... I guess I'll look for a cheap monitor with HDMI and hope that will have less overscan. All I've got at my house is laptops and headless servers.
Zylix's Avatar Zylix
07:29 PM Liked: 10
post #814 of 1291
09-24-2008 | Posts: 2
Joined: Sep 2008
I'm connecting my laptop (Lenovo N200 with intel 965) via VGA to my BenQ G2400WD 24" monitor, but the max resolution I can get is 1680x1050.

I've tried getting the EDID and writing a DTD to registry, however when I restart I am unable to to 1920x1200.

28 3C 80 A0 70 B0 23 40 30 20 36 00 07 44 21 00 00 1A

Code:
        Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile Report


Report Date:            09/25/2008
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]:  10:43:22
Driver Version:         6.14.10.4990
Operating System:               Windows XP* Professional, Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600)
Default Language:               English
DirectX* Version:               9.0
Physical Memory:                3062 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory:        8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory:        128 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 13 MB
Processor:              x86 family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Speed:                1463 MHZ
Vendor ID:              8086
Device ID:              2A02
Device Revision:                03


*   Accelerator Information   *

Accelerator in Use:             Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Video BIOS:             1436
Current Graphics Mode:  1680 by 1050 True Color (60 Hz)



*   Devices Connected to the Graphics Accelerator   *


Active Monitors: 1
Non Active Notebook Displays: 1


*   Monitor   *

Monitor Name:           BenQ G2400W (Analog)
Display Type:           Analog
Gamma Value:            2.20
DDC2 Protocol:          Supported
Maximum Image Size:     Horizontal: 20.0  inches
                        Vertical:   12.0  inches
Monitor Supported Modes:
640 by 480 (60 Hz)
640 by 480 (75 Hz)
720 by 400 (70 Hz)
800 by 600 (60 Hz)
800 by 600 (75 Hz)
832 by 624 (75 Hz)
1024 by 768 (60 Hz)
1024 by 768 (75 Hz)
1152 by 870 (75 Hz)
1152 by 1152 (60 Hz)
1280 by 1024 (60 Hz)
1280 by 1024 (75 Hz)
1280 by 1280 (60 Hz)
1440 by 1440 (60 Hz)
1600 by 1200 (60 Hz)
1680 by 1680 (60 Hz)
1920 by 1200 (60 Hz)
1920 by 1920 (60 Hz)
Display Power Management Support:
        Standby Mode:   Not Supported
        Suspend Mode:   Not Supported
        Active Off Mode: Supported
Raw EDID:
00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 09 d1 09 78 45 54 00 00
14 12 01 03 0e 34 20 78 2e c5 c4 a3 57 4a 9c 23
12 4f 52 a5 6b 80 71 00 81 00 95 00 81 80 b3 00
a9 40 d1 00 01 01 28 3c 80 a0 70 b0 23 40 30 20
36 00 07 44 21 00 00 1a 00 00 00 ff 00 59 35 38
30 30 38 37 37 53 4c 30 0a 20 00 00 00 fd 00 32
55 1f 5e 15 00 0a 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 fc
00 42 65 6e 51 20 47 32 34 30 30 57 0a 20 00 53


*   Notebook   *

Monitor Name:           BenQ G2400W (Analog)
Display Type:           Digital
Gamma Value:            2.20
DDC2 Protocol:          Supported
Maximum Image Size:     Horizontal: Not Available
                        Vertical:   Not Available
Monitor Supported Modes:
1280 by 800 (60 Hz)
Display Power Management Support:
        Standby Mode:   Not Supported
        Suspend Mode:   Not Supported
        Active Off Mode: Not Supported

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners.

Wo0zy's Avatar Wo0zy
02:40 AM Liked: 10
post #815 of 1291
09-25-2008 | Posts: 1,816
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylix View Post

I'm connecting my laptop (Lenovo N200 with intel 965) via VGA to my BenQ G2400WD 24" monitor, but the max resolution I can get is 1680x1050.

I've tried getting the EDID and writing a DTD to registry, however when I restart I am unable to to 1920x1200.

28 3C 80 A0 70 B0 23 40 30 20 36 00 07 44 21 00 00 1A

Code:
        Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile Report


Report Date:            09/25/2008
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]:  10:43:22
Driver Version:         6.14.10.4990
Operating System:               Windows XP* Professional, Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600)
Default Language:               English
DirectX* Version:               9.0
Physical Memory:                3062 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory:        8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory:        128 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 13 MB
Processor:              x86 family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Speed:                1463 MHZ
Vendor ID:              8086
Device ID:              2A02
Device Revision:                03


*   Accelerator Information   *

Accelerator in Use:             Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Video BIOS:             1436
Current Graphics Mode:  1680 by 1050 True Color (60 Hz)



*   Devices Connected to the Graphics Accelerator   *


Active Monitors: 1
Non Active Notebook Displays: 1


*   Monitor   *

Monitor Name:           BenQ G2400W (Analog)
Display Type:           Analog
Gamma Value:            2.20
DDC2 Protocol:          Supported
Maximum Image Size:     Horizontal: 20.0  inches
                        Vertical:   12.0  inches
Monitor Supported Modes:
640 by 480 (60 Hz)
640 by 480 (75 Hz)
720 by 400 (70 Hz)
800 by 600 (60 Hz)
800 by 600 (75 Hz)
832 by 624 (75 Hz)
1024 by 768 (60 Hz)
1024 by 768 (75 Hz)
1152 by 870 (75 Hz)
1152 by 1152 (60 Hz)
1280 by 1024 (60 Hz)
1280 by 1024 (75 Hz)
1280 by 1280 (60 Hz)
1440 by 1440 (60 Hz)
1600 by 1200 (60 Hz)
1680 by 1680 (60 Hz)
1920 by 1200 (60 Hz)
1920 by 1920 (60 Hz)
Display Power Management Support:
        Standby Mode:   Not Supported
        Suspend Mode:   Not Supported
        Active Off Mode: Supported
Raw EDID:
00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 09 d1 09 78 45 54 00 00
14 12 01 03 0e 34 20 78 2e c5 c4 a3 57 4a 9c 23
12 4f 52 a5 6b 80 71 00 81 00 95 00 81 80 b3 00
a9 40 d1 00 01 01 28 3c 80 a0 70 b0 23 40 30 20
36 00 07 44 21 00 00 1a 00 00 00 ff 00 59 35 38
30 30 38 37 37 53 4c 30 0a 20 00 00 00 fd 00 32
55 1f 5e 15 00 0a 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 fc
00 42 65 6e 51 20 47 32 34 30 30 57 0a 20 00 53


*   Notebook   *

Monitor Name:           BenQ G2400W (Analog)
Display Type:           Digital
Gamma Value:            2.20
DDC2 Protocol:          Supported
Maximum Image Size:     Horizontal: Not Available
                        Vertical:   Not Available
Monitor Supported Modes:
1280 by 800 (60 Hz)
Display Power Management Support:
        Standby Mode:   Not Supported
        Suspend Mode:   Not Supported
        Active Off Mode: Not Supported

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners.

Have you tried adding 1918x1200 instead?

28 3C 7E A2 70 B0 23 40 31 20 36 00 07 44 21 00 00 1A

The laptops video bios could be preventing 1920x1200 from working.

Wo0zy
Zylix's Avatar Zylix
03:28 AM Liked: 10
post #816 of 1291
09-25-2008 | Posts: 2
Joined: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Have you tried adding 1918x1200 instead?

28 3C 7E A2 70 B0 23 40 31 20 36 00 07 44 21 00 00 1A

The laptops video bios could be preventing 1920x1200 from working.

Wo0zy

I have added this entry and am able to change to 1918x1200 resolution. Does this mean I can't use 1920x1200?
Wo0zy's Avatar Wo0zy
08:05 AM Liked: 10
post #817 of 1291
09-25-2008 | Posts: 1,816
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylix View Post

I have added this entry and am able to change to 1918x1200 resolution. Does this mean I can't use 1920x1200?

Looks that way mate unless you fancy hacking the video BIOS. If so you'll have to ask Archibael nicely . It's not something I've ever tried. In fact I think I'd live with 1 missing pixel at either side rather than try it

Good luck.

Wo0zy
archibael's Avatar archibael
08:41 AM Liked: 10
post #818 of 1291
09-25-2008 | Posts: 4,098
Joined: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylix View Post

I have added this entry and am able to change to 1918x1200 resolution. Does this mean I can't use 1920x1200?

Wo0zy's got it correct. Lenovo is programming your BIOS to not accept 1920x1200. You can get around it with 1918 or 1922, or you could try to hack the Mode Removal Table of your BIOS with a hex editor. I'd personally live with the extra pixel or the missing pixel on both sides, but that's because I know I'd get the checksum wrong and hose everything up.
darksides's Avatar darksides
02:34 AM Liked: 10
post #819 of 1291
09-26-2008 | Posts: 5
Joined: Aug 2008
who can help me to find 1:1 resolution w/o overscan with this dtd?
I can't get any usable resolution trying and resizing my screen, using dtd calculator too.

Code:
00FFFFFFFFFFFF0034A911C17800000030100103800000780ADAFFA3584AA229
17494B00000001010101010101010101010101010101011D00BC52D01E20B828
5540B9882100001E011D80D0721C1620102C2580B9882100009E000000FC0050
414E41534F4E49432D545620000000FD00303D0F2D08000A20202020202001AB
02031C724C9314128405031607110615012309070166030C001000808C0AD090
204031200C405500B98821000018011D007251D01E206E285500B9882100001E
011D8018711C1620582C2500B9882100009E8C0AD08A20E02D10103E9600B988
210000188C0AD090204031200C4055000F882100001800000000000000000078
tnx very much
720p's Avatar 720p
04:55 AM Liked: 11
post #820 of 1291
09-26-2008 | Posts: 1,388
Joined: Jun 2006
darksides,

you should set your panel to it's native resolution
you don't mention what panel you're using?
Wo0zy's Avatar Wo0zy
06:00 AM Liked: 10
post #821 of 1291
09-26-2008 | Posts: 1,816
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksides View Post

who can help me to find 1:1 resolution w/o overscan with this dtd?
I can't get any usable resolution trying and resizing my screen, using dtd calculator too.

Code: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 very much

According to the EDID your display thinks that 1280x720p @ 50Hz is the native resolution

The DTD for this (extracted using DTDCalc) is

01 1D 00 BC 52 D0 1E 20 B8 28 55 40 B9 88 21 00 00 1E

This should be your starting point.

Set your desktop resolution to 1280x720 then paste this DTD into the reverse calculator tab. You can then use the ruler tool to adjust the active area to compensate for the overscan.

Once you've done that go to the Reg Hack tab, click more to open a DTD slot then click "Get Calculated" to add your modified DTD to the slot. Finally click "Write to Registry" and reboot. Your new resolution should now be available from the Intel Graphics Tray.

If you're running Vista don't forget to launch DTDCalc by right-clicking on the shorcut and selecting "Run as Administrator" otherwise it will fail to write to the registry.

Try an stick to even numbers of pixels and "Start of Sync Pulse" values.

Wo0zy
darksides's Avatar darksides
06:02 AM Liked: 10
post #822 of 1291
09-26-2008 | Posts: 5
Joined: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

According to the EDID your display thinks that 1280x720p @ 50Hz is the native resolution

The DTD for this (extracted using DTDCalc) is

01 1D 00 BC 52 D0 1E 20 B8 28 55 40 B9 88 21 00 00 1E

This should be your starting point.

Set your desktop resolution to 1280x720 then paste this DTD into the reverse calculator tab. You can then use the ruler tool to adjust the active area to compensate for the overscan.

Once you've done that go to the Reg Hack tab, click more to open a DTD slot then click "Get Calculated" to add your modified DTD to the slot. Finally click "Write to Registry" and reboot. Your new resolution should now be available from the Intel Graphics Tray.

If you're running Vista don't forget to launch DTDCalc by right-clicking on the shorcut and selecting "Run as Administrator" otherwise it will fail to write to the registry.

Try an stick to even numbers of pixels and "Start of Sync Pulse" values.

Wo0zy

Il''try and post any progress.. tnx a lot
darksides's Avatar darksides
02:55 PM Liked: 10
post #823 of 1291
09-26-2008 | Posts: 5
Joined: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

darksides,

you should set your panel to it's native resolution
you don't mention what panel you're using?

Sorry, i've a panasonic tx-26le60f 26".
720p's Avatar 720p
04:33 PM Liked: 11
post #824 of 1291
09-26-2008 | Posts: 1,388
Joined: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksides View Post

Sorry, i've a panasonic tx-26le60f 26".

The native resolution of your panel is 1366x768.
Anything other than the above will result in up/down scaling = horrible image.
The reason 1366x768 is not listed is because it is a pc resolution instead of a video resolution.
Just hope your tv will accept it.
Ask Wo0zy for the dtd he may be able to help because I sure can't.
Wo0zy's Avatar Wo0zy
05:10 PM Liked: 10
post #825 of 1291
09-26-2008 | Posts: 1,816
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

The native resolution of your panel is 1366x768.
Anything other than the above will result in up/down scaling = horrible image.
The reason 1366x768 is not listed is because it is a pc resolution instead of a video resolution.
Just hope your tv will accept it.
Ask Wo0zy for the dtd he may be able to help because I sure can't.

It would be pure guess work without a modeline and may not work anyway if the connection is HDMI. Also the fact that the TV is claiming 50Hz is native suggests a fellow PAL land user. If this is the case it may be that 1366x768 will only work at 60Hz (if at all) which would not be ideal.

I know it's not 1:1 but the TV is advertising 720p () as the timing it should be happiest with over the connection so I'd try that first and if the results are rubbish start googling for a modeline to convert or see if the VESA standard timing works. I think that's

66 21 50 B0 51 00 1B 30 40 70 36 00 00 00 00 00 00 1E

Wo0zy
MoNkLorD's Avatar MoNkLorD
03:27 PM Liked: 10
post #826 of 1291
10-04-2008 | Posts: 526
Joined: Mar 2008
I am having no luck with this, I just pulled my ati 1600 card out, because i was just fed up with the whole Catalyst thing to behave properly, so i am now trying to use the onboard and i have overscan on my my tv and 7touch screen on my case, why would intel not provide a tool to fix overscan right out the box? ati atleast had that option, anyways i have tryed using this DTDcal but when i do the tuning i the apply option remains grayed out.
Wo0zy's Avatar Wo0zy
05:22 PM Liked: 10
post #827 of 1291
10-04-2008 | Posts: 1,816
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNkLorD View Post

I am having no luck with this, I just pulled my ati 1600 card out, because i was just fed up with the whole Catalyst thing to behave properly, so i am now trying to use the onboard and i have overscan on my my tv and 7touch screen on my case, why would intel not provide a tool to fix overscan right out the box? ati atleast had that option,

They do now (kind of)

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029478.htm

Many still prefer DTDCalc though. Try boh and see which works best for you.

Also the "Aspect Ratio" sliders that appear in the control panel when connecting to many HDTV's work in a similar way to scaling in CCC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNkLorD View Post

anyways i have tryed using this DTDcal but when i do the tuning i the apply option remains grayed out.

You can only use the apply button if you're adjusting a timing which matches the resolution you're curently running.

For example your desktop must be set to 1280x720 if you want to adjust a 1280x720 DTD/modeline.

Wo0zy
EskimoPie's Avatar EskimoPie
05:30 PM Liked: 10
post #828 of 1291
10-04-2008 | Posts: 414
Joined: Jul 2005
I'm using an intel G45 board connected HDMI to an Onkyo 875 receiver at 1080p60, connected to a Samsung LED DLP via HDMI at 1080p60. I have significant overscan in VMC and followed thovere instructions here to create an EDID that fit the screen... this came out to 1850ish x 1040ish... I was able to write the registry and reboot. I selected the new custom resolution and hit apply and my receiver gave me an error about an unsupported resolution or something.

Is there any way around this? From my understanding, receivers have a fairly limited set of VESA resolutions they'll accept... obviously something custom like this isn't on their list. Even if I went directly from HTPC to TV, I'm guessing I'd have the same problem from the TV itself.

I thought I read that nvidia cards (maybe ATI too) have the ability to keep a 1920x1080 screen resoution but create a custom desktop size to fix overscan... this makes the hardware happy, but still solves the overscan issue... is there a way to do this with Intel integrated video?
Wo0zy's Avatar Wo0zy
05:50 PM Liked: 10
post #829 of 1291
10-04-2008 | Posts: 1,816
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoPie View Post

I'm using an intel G45 board connected HDMI to an Onkyo 875 receiver at 1080p60, connected to a Samsung LED DLP via HDMI at 1080p60. I have significant overscan in VMC and followed thovere instructions here to create an EDID that fit the screen... this came out to 1850ish x 1040ish... I was able to write the registry and reboot. I selected the new custom resolution and hit apply and my receiver gave me an error about an unsupported resolution or something.

Is there any way around this? From my understanding, receivers have a fairly limited set of VESA resolutions they'll accept... obviously something custom like this isn't on their list. Even if I went directly from HTPC to TV, I'm guessing I'd have the same problem from the TV itself.

I thought I read that nvidia cards (maybe ATI too) have the ability to keep a 1920x1080 screen resoution but create a custom desktop size to fix overscan... this makes the hardware happy, but still solves the overscan issue... is there a way to do this with Intel integrated video?


Have you tried the aspect ratio sliders mentioned in the previous post? Assuming they appear in your setup, you can use them to apply desktop scaling while retaining the resolution.

Out of interest I'd like to see your full EDID and the DTD you ended up with for your custom resolution if you get the time to post them.

Cheers,

Wo0zy
MoNkLorD's Avatar MoNkLorD
06:00 PM Liked: 10
post #830 of 1291
10-04-2008 | Posts: 526
Joined: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoPie View Post


I thought I read that nvidia cards (maybe ATI too) have the ability to keep a 1920x1080 screen resoution but create a custom desktop size to fix overscan... this makes the hardware happy, but still solves the overscan issue... is there a way to do this with Intel integrated video?

this is true, ati is as simple as a little slider set to 0 and issue is solved, i just pulled my ati because i was having issues with the catalyst software crashes on me and locking me out of some settings.
MoNkLorD's Avatar MoNkLorD
06:01 PM Liked: 10
post #831 of 1291
10-04-2008 | Posts: 526
Joined: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Have you tried the aspect ratio sliders mentioned in the previous post? Assuming they appear in your setup, you can use them to apply desktop scaling while retaining the resolution.

Out of interest I'd like to see your full EDID and the DTD you ended up with for your custom resolution if you get the time to post them.

Cheers,

Wo0zy

this may be just what i was looking for. except they do not tell you how to enable custom modes addition feature.
if anyone knows how to enable this on vista i would greatly appreciate it.
Wo0zy's Avatar Wo0zy
06:19 PM Liked: 10
post #832 of 1291
10-04-2008 | Posts: 1,816
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNkLorD View Post

this may be just what i was looking for. except they do not tell you how to enable custom modes addition feature.
if anyone knows how to enable this on vista i would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=793

but if custom resolutions aren't working for you I don't think this will help.

The Aspect Ratio (scaling) sliders should be in the Intel Graphics Tray by default if you're connected to a TV. If they're not I have no idea how to force them to appear. Maybe Archi does.

Wo0zy
grittree's Avatar grittree
06:59 PM Liked: 21
post #833 of 1291
10-04-2008 | Posts: 2,091
Joined: Mar 2001
How is custom modes of use to us?

* Basic Setup Tab (see Figure 3 & Figure 4): This tab cannot be used with Standard or High Definition television.
* Advanced Setup Tab (see Figure 5): This tab cannot be used with Standard or High Definition television or a notebook’s built-in display.
MoNkLorD's Avatar MoNkLorD
07:06 PM Liked: 10
post #834 of 1291
10-04-2008 | Posts: 526
Joined: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=793

but if custom resolutions aren't working for you I don't think this will help.

The Aspect Ratio (scaling) sliders should be in the Intel Graphics Tray by default if you're connected to a TV. If they're not I have no idea how to force them to appear. Maybe Archi does.

Wo0zy

good find it looks like that poster did find a way to enable to enable the mode. unfortunately he didn't specify exactly where to navigate in the registry to find the entry that needs to be deleted.

i do not see the scaling sliders in the tray. thanks for all the help by the way.

i run extended desktop since a have 7in touch screen and everything right now just looks jarbled up.
EskimoPie's Avatar EskimoPie
09:47 PM Liked: 10
post #835 of 1291
10-04-2008 | Posts: 414
Joined: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Have you tried the aspect ratio sliders mentioned in the previous post? Assuming they appear in your setup, you can use them to apply desktop scaling while retaining the resolution.

I checked and of course I don't have the button in the graphics properties page that would let me adjust the overscan. I read the Intel page on the subject and they said that not all vendors implement this feature for their hardware. Gee, it sure is a bummer that I'm using a motherboard from a very nonsupporting vendor... what's that manufactuer's name again??? Oh yeah, that's right... INTEL!!! That's ridiculous that they would not support this feature for their very own hardware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Out of interest I'd like to see your full EDID and the DTD you ended up with for your custom resolution if you get the time to post them.

Sure thing...
Code:
Raw EDID:
00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 3d cb 98 07 00 00 00 00
00 11 01 03 80 10 09 78 0a cf 9b a3 57 4c 9e 26
0f 4a 4c 20 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
01 01 01 01 01 01 02 3a 80 18 71 38 2d 40 58 2c
45 00 a0 5a 00 00 00 1e 01 1d 80 18 71 1c 16 20
58 2c 25 00 a0 5a 00 00 00 9e 00 00 00 fc 00 54
58 2d 53 52 38 37 35 0a 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 fd
00 3b 3d 1e 44 0f 00 0a 20 20 20 20 20 20 01 08
02 03 39 71 50 90 05 04 03 06 11 15 13 14 1f 0f
0a 1d 19 24 25 38 09 7f 07 0f 7f 07 17 07 50 3f
06 c0 4d 02 00 57 06 00 5f 7e 01 67 5e 00 83 4f
00 00 66 03 0c 00 12 00 80 01 1d 00 72 51 d0 1e
20 6e 28 55 00 a0 5a 00 00 00 1e 8c 0a d0 8a 20
e0 2d 10 10 3e 96 00 a0 5a 00 00 00 18 00 00 00
10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 3f
and

Code:
02 3A 45 53 71 16 4F 40 75 2C 75 00 A0 5A 00 00 00 1E

EskimoPie's Avatar EskimoPie
11:55 PM Liked: 10
post #836 of 1291
10-04-2008 | Posts: 414
Joined: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

Yes, yours.

Oddly, the "undocumented" part seems to be rectified.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029478.htm

It claims to not work with TVs. I don't know how accurate that is. You can get it by going into the registry and searching for "igfxcfg", and selecting the sub-directory called "resources". Delete the key entitled "4571" and you'll get the Custom Modes button.

Did this, got the custom modes button, but when I try to add a new custom mode it just gives me an error saying it's non-standard and doesn't add it.
Wo0zy's Avatar Wo0zy
05:04 AM Liked: 10
post #837 of 1291
10-05-2008 | Posts: 1,816
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

How is custom modes of use to us?

* Basic Setup Tab (see Figure 3 & Figure 4): This tab cannot be used with Standard or High Definition television.
* Advanced Setup Tab (see Figure 5): This tab cannot be used with Standard or High Definition television or a notebook's built-in display.

Because despite the warnings it does actually work with TVs

I've used it to successfully add custom resolutions which work fine on TVs but TBH I find DTDCalc more useful.

Wo0zy
Wo0zy's Avatar Wo0zy
05:32 AM Liked: 10
post #838 of 1291
10-05-2008 | Posts: 1,816
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoPie View Post

I checked and of course I don't have the button in the graphics properties page that would let me adjust the overscan. I read the Intel page on the subject and they said that not all vendors implement this feature for their hardware. Gee, it sure is a bummer that I'm using a motherboard from a very nonsupporting vendor... what's that manufactuer's name again??? Oh yeah, that's right... INTEL!!! That's ridiculous that they would not support this feature for their very own hardware!

I have them on a test system fitted with an Intel DG45FC

Can't say I've read the releasd notes relating to this feature recently. Wonder if they mean display vendors? There is a flag in EDID which specifies whether or not a display supports underscan and the EDID you posted claims your display doesn't. Wonder if that's why? Doesn't really make sense though as the sliders "scale".

Shame your display doesn't have a "just scan", "exact scan" or "dot by dot" type of setting

Anyway. Could you try the following DTD (using DTDCalc obviously ).

02 3A 45 53 71 16 4F 40 75 2C 65 04 A0 5A 00 00 00 1E

Wo0zy
EskimoPie's Avatar EskimoPie
09:59 AM Liked: 10
post #839 of 1291
10-05-2008 | Posts: 414
Joined: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

I have them on a test system fitted with an Intel DG45FC

Can't say I've read the releasd notes relating to this feature recently. Wonder if they mean display vendors? There is a flag in EDID which specifies whether or not a display supports underscan and the EDID you posted claims your display doesn't. Wonder if that's why? Doesn't really make sense though as the sliders "scale".

Shame your display doesn't have a "just scan", "exact scan" or "dot by dot" type of setting

Anyway. Could you try the following DTD (using DTDCalc obviously ).

02 3A 45 53 71 16 4F 40 75 2C 65 04 A0 5A 00 00 00 1E

Wo0zy

I'll give that one a try... It's a samsung 1080p DLP and I do have the "just scan" setting which I'm using, but it still has overscan. Last night I did try bypassing the receiver and connecting straight to the TV and I was able to successfully use DTD calc. My TV accepted the new resolution just fine (guess the receiver is pickier). The problem is that even though I adjusted the ruler to the edges of the screen exactly, once the new resolution was applied, the entire screen was shifted to the left by about 2 inches leaving a black bar on the right. The TV has an option to adjust up down and left right in the menus but it only let me move the screen right about half the needed distance, still leaving a black bar on the right. Odd... Either way it's not a solution for me though since I'd rather go through the receiver so I don't need to use a toslink cable or something.
Wo0zy's Avatar Wo0zy
12:06 PM Liked: 10
post #840 of 1291
10-05-2008 | Posts: 1,816
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoPie View Post

I'll give that one a try... It's a samsung 1080p DLP and I do have the "just scan" setting which I'm using, but it still has overscan. Last night I did try bypassing the receiver and connecting straight to the TV and I was able to successfully use DTD calc. My TV accepted the new resolution just fine (guess the receiver is pickier). The problem is that even though I adjusted the ruler to the edges of the screen exactly, once the new resolution was applied, the entire screen was shifted to the left by about 2 inches leaving a black bar on the right. The TV has an option to adjust up down and left right in the menus but it only let me move the screen right about half the needed distance, still leaving a black bar on the right. Odd... Either way it's not a solution for me though since I'd rather go through the receiver so I don't need to use a toslink cable or something.

By the sounds of it your receiver is playing "silly buggers". What is it?

Make sure you have passthrough enabled.

If you're sending standard 1080p (1920x1080) to the screen and "just scan" is enabled there really shouldn't be any overscan and no need to create a custom resolution. That's the whole point of the setting. Very odd

The DTD I suggested is still based on your's (which is 1080p but with less active pixels ands more blanking interval) but it should shift the V-sync slightly. It may or may not help but worth a try.

If it doesn't I have one more suggestion then it's over to Archibael.

Wo0zy

Reply Home Theater Computers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3