Custom Resolution Tool for Intel Graphics: Easier Overscan Correction - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1291 Old 11-27-2008, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DTDCalc tuning does change the pixel dimensions of a working resolution, then write it to the registry. It could very well be more successful than my back of the envelope computation, but I wouldn't expect it to make a huge difference. It's worth a try.

I wonder... if you look in the registry for EnableInterlacedModeRemoval, what is the value? Try changing it to 0 if it's 1. You might have to change several (all) instances for it to take effect.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1291 Old 11-27-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

DTDCalc tuning does change the pixel dimensions of a working resolution, then write it to the registry. It could very well be more successful than my back of the envelope computation, but I wouldn't expect it to make a huge difference. It's worth a try.

I wonder... if you look in the registry for EnableInterlacedModeRemoval, what is the value? Try changing it to 0 if it's 1. You might have to change several (all) instances for it to take effect.

I've just done that. Should I try the previous resolutions again?

I wonder, would this be easier if I were to have my father purchase a new video card?

EDIT: Cheers mate! You're brilliant. I can use loads more resolutions now. Which was curious as my laptop (using HDMI out) was always able to select these settings. Both run Vista, and I've not altered the registry on the laptop.
post #903 of 1291 Old 11-27-2008, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Laptops are usually fitted with a "custom" version of the driver (the laptop vendor will tweak the default registry options). I'm assuming that the laptop-- if it has Intel graphics drivers-- already has this enabled.

I hope one or more of those resolutions is more useful for you.

but I do work there.
post #904 of 1291 Old 11-27-2008, 10:41 AM

At least with 1600x900 I can see everything on the screen (heavily underscanned though). As it is Thanksgiving, I'll have to pry myself from this project for a few hours. I'll see if I can stretch out the resolution until it works. Is it now just a process of trail and error? I'm not really seeing a pattern yet. A few additional pixels to the left works sometimes. Eight added to the bottom sometimes works.

After changing the pixels, I notice that the frequency in the bottom right corner of DTDCalc reports 60.121 instead of the 60hz it was at before I began to tweak. Should it remain at 60hz? I don't believe any setting with 60.xxxhz has worked.

Cheers for all of your help and do enjoy the turkey. I'm in Phoenix at the moment as well.
post #905 of 1291 Old 11-27-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Assuming your TV doesn't support the "Just Scan" feature do I take it that you're trying to remove overscan? We've had similar problems with Samsung screens in the past but if you post the DTD you're currently using we could take a look for you.

If nothing obvious jumps out and the aforementioned just scan isn't available you could see how the image looks using the scaling sliders if they appear on your system. Look for an "Aspect Ratio" button in the Intel Graphics control panel.

Wo0zy

Hi Wo0zy,

Sorry for my lacking description, I'm totally new at this.

To answer the obvious question; yes my Samsung does not have a 1:1 pixel mapping button, so it overscans the computer desktop picture on the Sammy.

Problem is, it can't find any button that says "Aspect Ration" in my Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver. Actually, there is nothing like it
post #906 of 1291 Old 11-27-2008, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krohne View Post

Hi Wo0zy,

Sorry for my lacking description, I'm totally new at this.

To answer the obvious question; yes my Samsung does not have a 1:1 pixel mapping button, so it overscans the computer desktop picture on the Sammy.

Problem is, it can't find any button that says "Aspect Ration" in my Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver. Actually, there is nothing like it

No worries

Are you connecting via VGA or HDMI?

Your starting DTD for 1280x720 should be

01 1D 00 72 51 D0 1E 20 6E 28 55 00 A0 5A 00 00 00 1E

What DTD are you ending up with after tuning?

Wo0zy
post #907 of 1291 Old 11-27-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:

No worries

Are you connecting via VGA or HDMI?

Your starting DTD for 1280x720 should be

01 1D 00 72 51 D0 1E 20 6E 28 55 00 A0 5A 00 00 00 1E

What DTD are you ending up with after tuning?

Wo0zy

F**k me, I forgot to paste the DTD, so before I forget it again

01 1D B3 BF 41 A0 4E 20 94 28 D5 04 00 00 00 00 00 1E

I'm connecting via HDMI.
post #908 of 1291 Old 11-27-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJWackness View Post

At least with 1600x900 I can see everything on the screen (heavily underscanned though). As it is Thanksgiving, I'll have to pry myself from this project for a few hours. I'll see if I can stretch out the resolution until it works. Is it now just a process of trail and error? I'm not really seeing a pattern yet. A few additional pixels to the left works sometimes. Eight added to the bottom sometimes works.

After changing the pixels, I notice that the frequency in the bottom right corner of DTDCalc reports 60.121 instead of the 60hz it was at before I began to tweak. Should it remain at 60hz? I don't believe any setting with 60.xxxhz has worked.

Cheers for all of your help and do enjoy the turkey. I'm in Phoenix at the moment as well.

Actually, the refresh should not change when you tweak the resolution-- that could indeed be your problem. The idea of DTDCalc's modifications are to put a window of black around your desktop which exactly matches the overscan on your machine, thus giving you a desktop which fits perfectly with your TV. It should still use the timings of the original resolution (thus keeping your TV in sync) it just reduces the number of active pixels in the horizontal and vertical direction.

Which variables are you changing in DTDCalc that are changing the refresh?

but I do work there.
post #909 of 1291 Old 11-28-2008, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

F**k me, I forgot to paste the DTD, so before I forget it again

01 1D B3 BF 41 A0 4E 20 94 28 D5 04 00 00 00 00 00 1E

I'm connecting via HDMI.

Hmmm. Not sure if it will help but try

01 1D B4 BE 41 A0 4E 20 6E 28 D5 04 A0 5A 00 00 00 1E

and let us know what it does.

Wo0zy
post #910 of 1291 Old 11-28-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Hmmm. Not sure if it will help but try

01 1D B4 BE 41 A0 4E 20 6E 28 D5 04 A0 5A 00 00 00 1E

and let us know what it does.

Wo0zy

Unfortunately it didn't help. The situation is still the same, top and bottom fits perfectly, but the picture is about 2-3 centimeter to the left. That means, a black bar is on the right side of the screen.

Pretty rubbish!
post #911 of 1291 Old 11-28-2008, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Could be that your monitor/TV is "autocorrecting" by locking the first active pixels to the left hand side of the screen-- purely to be helpful of course.

To verify if this is correct, try the ridiculous

01 1D B4 BE 41 A0 4E 20 02 32 D5 04 00 00 00 00 00 1E

and see what you get. If your screen is responding correctly to the sync pulse timings, that one should essentially shift the entire desktop all the way to the right. If your screen is autocorrecting, you'll stay at the left.

but I do work there.
post #912 of 1291 Old 11-28-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Could be that your monitor/TV is "autocorrecting" by locking the first active pixels to the left hand side of the screen-- purely to be helpful of course.

To verify if this is correct, try the ridiculous

01 1D B4 BE 41 A0 4E 20 02 32 D5 04 00 00 00 00 00 1E

and see what you get. If your screen is responding correctly to the sync pulse timings, that one should essentially shift the entire desktop all the way to the right. If your screen is autocorrecting, you'll stay at the left.

Thanks, it was worth a try, but not a solution

I guess my screen is autocorrecting then?
post #913 of 1291 Old 11-28-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Actually, the refresh should not change when you tweak the resolution-- that could indeed be your problem. The idea of DTDCalc's modifications are to put a window of black around your desktop which exactly matches the overscan on your machine, thus giving you a desktop which fits perfectly with your TV. It should still use the timings of the original resolution (thus keeping your TV in sync) it just reduces the number of active pixels in the horizontal and vertical direction.

Which variables are you changing in DTDCalc that are changing the refresh?

I thought the frequency change was curious as well. All that I'm doing is putting in a standard resolution as a starting point (1600x900, 1920x1080, etc) and then using the tuning feature. I believe the change in frequency may occur when selecting 'create a baseline' under the registry tab.

When tuning, I want to 'shrink' the screen until the red lines are just at the edge, correct? Should I be maintaining an aspect ratio?

EDIT: Before adding resolutions with DTDCalc (ie only the default resolutions are visible), 1600x900 and 1680x1050 both work in addition to others. With DTDCalc if use the 1920x1080 @ 60.xxx hz (this is from the EDTD provided by the television) I can tune it down to 1920x1060, before syncing problems arise. Do keep in mind that I am only editing the 1920x1080i resolution, and not the others. When I restart, 1920x1060 works, but 1920x1058, 1056, etc will not. Additionally, 1600x900 and 1680x1050 cease to work. If I remove the added entries to the registry, 1600x900 and 1680x1050 are once more viable.
post #914 of 1291 Old 11-28-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, it was worth a try, but not a solution

I guess my screen is autocorrecting then?

Looks to be. There's not much to be done in that case, unless the aspect ratio sliders are present in the graphics tray.

but I do work there.
post #915 of 1291 Old 11-28-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought the frequency change was curious as well. All that I'm doing is putting in a standard resolution as a starting point (1600x900, 1920x1080, etc) and then using the tuning feature. I believe the change in frequency may occur when selecting 'create a baseline' under the registry tab.

"Create Modeline" is essentially "Read the registry for the timings that exist there, and use those as a starting point. So, yes, a change in frequency could occur in that case, as the timings in question in the registry don't necessarily match those you are trying to create. I'd skip that step in favor of selecting one of the Standard Timings on the Calculation page. Just use "Get Calculated" and "Write DTD to Registry" to write the standard timing to the registry (replace the first one), reboot and select that mode (1080i), and THEN use the Tuning page.

Quote:

When tuning, I want to 'shrink' the screen until the red lines are just at the edge, correct? Should I be maintaining an aspect ratio?

Yes, just get the lines to the edge. Worry about aspect ratio later.

Quote:

EDIT: Before adding resolutions with DTDCalc (ie only the default resolutions are visible), 1600x900 and 1680x1050 both work in addition to others. With DTDCalc if use the 1920x1080 @ 60.xxx hz (this is from the EDTD provided by the television) I can tune it down to 1920x1060, before syncing problems arise. Do keep in mind that I am only editing the 1920x1080i resolution, and not the others. When I restart, 1920x1060 works, but 1920x1058, 1056, etc will not. Additionally, 1600x900 and 1680x1050 cease to work. If I remove the added entries to the registry, 1600x900 and 1680x1050 are once more viable.

That's peculiar behavior I hadn't had the pleasure to experience before. I'd focus on getting one to work, then we'll figure out how to get many.

but I do work there.
post #916 of 1291 Old 11-28-2008, 07:14 PM

It wasn't that I was trying to have other resolutions work. Rather, I thought it curious that 1680x1050 did work at one point. So, when 1920x1050 caused syncing errors, I tried 1680x1050 to discover that that resolution was no longer viable. I'll continue to soldier on and hope I can sort this out.

I wonder, are there video cards which are more ideally suited for HTPCs? I liked that the HDMI was integrated into the motherboard of the PC my father bought, but if it's more simple for his sake, perhaps I should order a video card.

Is it possible to find alternative or more up-to-date drivers for the Intel video card as the drivers provided by Dell seem to lack some of the options you lot have mentioned (aspect sliders, raw EDID output

I do appreciate all your help.

EDIT: It's got to be an issue with the video card/driver. I plugged my laptop into the telly and 1776x1000 is a default option and outputs nearly perfectly (about 4 pixels are cut from the bottom). I'm going to try a different driver.

I grabbed the G45 driver from Intel's website, and it's still got the same resolutions and the same problems. My laptop's got a GMA 965 and it lists loads of resolutions by default.

Is there a way I can copy the 1776x1000 DTD string which my laptop is using and whack it into DTDCalc on the desktop?
post #917 of 1291 Old 11-29-2008, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder, are there video cards which are more ideally suited for HTPCs? I liked that the HDMI was integrated into the motherboard of the PC my father bought, but if it's more simple for his sake, perhaps I should order a video card.

I certainly couldn't blame you for moving to another solution if you can't get what you want out of the Intel graphics.

Quote:

Is it possible to find alternative or more up-to-date drivers for the Intel video card as the drivers provided by Dell seem to lack some of the options you lot have mentioned (aspect sliders, raw EDID output

You don't even get EDID output from Information button, then Save to Disk?

Quote:

EDIT: It's got to be an issue with the video card/driver. I plugged my laptop into the telly and 1776x1000 is a default option and outputs nearly perfectly (about 4 pixels are cut from the bottom). I'm going to try a different driver.

I grabbed the G45 driver from Intel's website, and it's still got the same resolutions and the same problems. My laptop's got a GMA 965 and it lists loads of resolutions by default.

Is there a way I can copy the 1776x1000 DTD string which my laptop is using and whack it into DTDCalc on the desktop?

You could conceivably load Powerstrip on the laptop, open Display Configuration, and find out what the "current" timing parameters are. Copy them down and compute the DTD with DTDCalc or by pasting them here.

but I do work there.
post #918 of 1291 Old 11-29-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Looks to be. There's not much to be done in that case, unless the aspect ratio sliders are present in the graphics tray.

Thank you for your help Arch and Wo0zy.

It seems that my Sammy screen is rubbish. Well, it's not the high-end model, and almost 3 years old.

One last question:
I can't seem to install the Intel tool package - the driver only, could that be the reason, I am not able to see a "aspect ratio bottom" in my tray?
post #919 of 1291 Old 11-29-2008, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wish I were writing graphics drivers. It occurs to me that the smart thing to do for these "resolutions within a resolution" would be to drive a one- or two-pixel "band" at (timing) resolution's nominal edge, and then put your blankspace after that. Or instead of driving blackspace drive so-gray-it-might-as-well-be-blackspace all the way. Heck, that may be what's being done for the aspect ratio sliders.

I'd not say that your Samsung is rubbish-- it's trying to do the "right" thing based on the old-school overscan way of life-- it's just that the methods we're choosing in order to get around overscan are duelling with its attempt to prettify your screen, and unfortunately prettification is winning over utility.

What are you trying to get, with respect to drivers, Krohne? Is the .exe file not sufficient, or do you have a Dell or Toshiba whose drivers are not as "up-to-date" as the ones on the Intel site?

but I do work there.
post #920 of 1291 Old 11-29-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:

I wish I were writing graphics drivers. It occurs to me that the smart thing to do for these "resolutions within a resolution" would be to drive a one- or two-pixel "band" at (timing) resolution's nominal edge, and then put your blankspace after that. Or instead of driving blackspace drive so-gray-it-might-as-well-be-blackspace all the way. Heck, that may be what's being done for the aspect ratio sliders.

I'd not say that your Samsung is rubbish-- it's trying to do the "right" thing based on the old-school overscan way of life-- it's just that the methods we're choosing in order to get around overscan are duelling with its attempt to prettify your screen, and unfortunately prettification is winning over utility.

What are you trying to get, with respect to drivers, Krohne? Is the .exe file not sufficient, or do you have a Dell or Toshiba whose drivers are not as "up-to-date" as the ones on the Intel site?

Just to clarify things - I said my Sammy is rubbish, not you Sorry for my ironic Scandinavian writing-style. Most of the time, I'm not very serious

Anyways, back to the driver issue.

I wish to that you were the one writing Intel drivers - maybe it's a new carreer opportunity? (That was a serious suggestion).

Speaking of Intel drivers, after clicking on setup.exe, a pop-up says that my mashine is not sufficient, trying to install the driver tool. Remember that I have the newest driver installed, bit not the newest Intel tool.

Very odd right?
post #921 of 1291 Old 11-30-2008, 12:56 AM

Does anyone know where the standard resolutions are stored in the registry? I opened up the .INF file for the Intel driver and do not see a setting for 1776x1000 listed. I'm not seeing anything in the registry either. I want simply to try the DTD that my laptop is using when running at 1776x1000, but I've been unable to find this value.

EDIT: I was able to find the resolution in the registry, though I don't know if this information is helpful in translated it to a DTD. It was in 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Intel\\Display\\igfxcui\\Confi gurations\\ActiveDevices\\'
post #922 of 1291 Old 11-30-2008, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just to clarify things - I said my Sammy is rubbish, not you Sorry for my ironic Scandinavian writing-style. Most of the time, I'm not very serious

Nah, I understood. I was defending your Samsung, chivalrous guy that I am.

Quote:

I wish to that you were the one writing Intel drivers - maybe it's a new carreer opportunity? (That was a serious suggestion).

Would love to, but I'm not moving to Folsom.

Quote:

Speaking of Intel drivers, after clicking on setup.exe, a pop-up says that my mashine is not sufficient, trying to install the driver tool. Remember that I have the newest driver installed, bit not the newest Intel tool.

Very odd right?

No idea.

but I do work there.
post #923 of 1291 Old 11-30-2008, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know where the standard resolutions are stored in the registry? I opened up the .INF file for the Intel driver and do not see a setting for 1776x1000 listed. I'm not seeing anything in the registry either. I want simply to try the DTD that my laptop is using when running at 1776x1000, but I've been unable to find this value.

EDIT: I was able to find the resolution in the registry, though I don't know if this information is helpful in translated it to a DTD. It was in 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Intel\\Display\\igfxcui\\Confi gurations\\ActiveDevices\\'

The timings for the standard resolutions (including 1776x1000, which is considered "standard" in terms of being one that the Intel drivers are designed to provide by default) are in the binary, so they're not really user accessible, alas.

but I do work there.
post #924 of 1291 Old 11-30-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:

The timings for the standard resolutions (including 1776x1000, which is considered "standard" in terms of being one that the Intel drivers are designed to provide by default) are in the binary, so they're not really user accessible, alas.

Blimey. Of course they are. Could I use a hex editor and look round in the driver for it, or would it not be obvious?

Might someone have a working 1776x1000i DTD which could be posted here?

Which resolution should I use as a base? I tried 1920x1080i and plugging in 1776x998, but that causes a syncing error.

I've got these ones from PowerStrip, which someone posted online, but I'm not sure how to make it compatible with DTDCalc as I don't see a string for Pixel Clock:
PowerStrip timing parameters:
1776x1000i HDTV adapter=1776,136,48,240,1000,42,5,78,74250,280

Generic timing details for 1776x1000:
HFP=136 HSW=48 HBP=240 kHz=34 VFP=42 VSW=5 VBP=78 Hz=30
interlace +hsync +vsync

PowerStrip timing parameters:
1776x1000i=1776,166,88,274,1000,44,5,76,77760,280

Generic timing details for 1776x1000:
HFP=166 HSW=88 HBP=274 kHz=34 VFP=44 VSW=5 VBP=76 Hz=30
interlace +hsync +vsync
post #925 of 1291 Old 11-30-2008, 05:26 PM

Thanks for your help, but I've caved in and bought a ATI Radeon 3450. Everything is working perfectly out-of-the-box and the drivers provide all the needed resolutions. The only thing is about ten pixels of black on the left side of the screen, but I can live with that. I'll give the onboard card another go some other time, as I'd prefer to use it.
post #926 of 1291 Old 11-30-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Understood. If you want to play more, at your leisure, the first Powerstrip resolution decodes to

01 1D F0 A8 61 F4 3E 10 88 30 52 04 00 00 00 00 00 9E

but I do work there.
post #927 of 1291 Old 12-01-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Nah, I understood. I was defending your Samsung, chivalrous guy that I am.

Would love to, but I'm not moving to Folsom.

No idea.

Quote:

Very odd right?

Hah, thank you for defending my Sammy Appreciate it, indeed very chivalrous..

About moving to Folsom; have you considered a home-work-place setup?

Back to the Intel tool, not driver-only, can anyone post a link, for a file they know works with certainty.

Thanks in advance.

And ohh yeah, could it be an issue, when I installed my OS, it was installed with a NVidia GFX!?
post #928 of 1291 Old 12-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Does the EDID overide method described in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1091403 have any impact for Intel IGP users?
post #929 of 1291 Old 12-07-2008, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's only for Vista, so while it technically could help people who suffer from EDID issues it's not a general solution. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Vista (donations accepted ) so I can't try it out.

I won't be able to help much experimentally for a while in any case: due to a power supply cable mishap (contact made with GMCH heat sink = weird behavior followed by melted Molex cable + GMCH burning + dead hard drive) I am currently without an HTPC. Right after I got my nifty new HDHomerun and SIPEC remote control receiver, too.

but I do work there.
post #930 of 1291 Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like I may have solved the mystery of the missing "Aspect Ratio" sliders.

It seems they vanish from the Intel Graphics control panel when you select an interlaced resolution and reappear when you select a progressive timing.

I've checked a couple of systems so far and in both cases the sliders were available when running either 720p or 1080p but vanished when 1080i (25 or 30Hz) was selected.

Possibly a useless bit of trivia but thought it might help someone.

Wo0zy
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page