Custom Resolution Tool for Intel Graphics: Easier Overscan Correction - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2008, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
archibael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangaren View Post

Quote from G35 thread
Hi Wo0zy,

Thanks for your reply in the G35 thread. I am now moving into hear as it seams more like a ACER / DTD issue.

If I look into my EDID (aftre reading up on how to get them from top of this thread I guess it should be:
01 1d 80 18 71 1c 16 20 58 2c 25 00 34 cc 31 00 00 9e

If I look above you have a different one..

When I use yours the LCD doesn't show the screen at all.
I also tried yours at 30 something Hz, without the LCD to boot with this setting.

Is there any way to get the standard setting as the "first" to be used so that the tuned setting ce be selected, so that if it doesn't show, it reverts back?

I attach two screenshots of the ACER and yours at 30 Hz.

As I said before, the Acer showed 1080P/48 Hz with ATI and powerstrip.

Do you have the old Powerstrip settings? You should be able to replicate their effect on the DTD Calculator.

The difference between the ones Wo0zy supplied and yours are interlaced vs progressive, at first glance.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
archibael is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
archibael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Hi AP2,

Try entering the 1360x768 DTD into the reverse calculator then save it to the registry, reboot and test. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I was under the impression that 1360x768 didn't work using HDMI but shaunarundell's experience seems to suggest it might.

Let me know how you get on. If Archibael's watching he may have another suggestion in which case go with whatever he says (he's the expert!!).

It's TV related; some TVs don't want to give it up for 1360x768 goodness over HDMI; others have better HDMI receiver chips and are more... ahem... promiscuous.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
archibael is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:46 AM
AP2
Member
 
AP2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

If the Intel graphics tray doesn't list 1280x720 or 1920x1080 at all then start by adding them with DTD calc using the DTD's I posted for each. When you reboot they should be selectable. Select one, launch DTD Calc again load the corresponding DTD from the registry (so your selected resolution and the resolution loaded into DTD Calc are the same) then using the tuning tab to adjust as needed.

It's odd that neither are available as the EDID includes them

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Wo0zy

hey woozy,

did everything you told me and i finally getting somewhere. got the correct resolution and got the overscan issued worked out, but i can only get a refresh rate of 30 instead of 60. anyway to work around this?

thanks,
jesse
AP2 is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Member
 
Slangaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

Do you have the old Powerstrip settings? You should be able to replicate their effect on the DTD Calculator.

The difference between the ones Wo0zy supplied and yours are interlaced vs progressive, at first glance.

Hi,

Sorry, I don't have the Powerstrip settings as it doesn't work now.
But if I use Wo0zy's EDID and change it to 1080i60 Hz it doesn't show up in th choosable meny of refreshrates. But I guess it is the same as my original settings even though some of the Hex numbers are different even though that all data in the calculator looks identical.

If I then only thweak it to 1080P30Hz with everything else the same, the TV doesn't show anything, just flickers (using HDMI).
It seams like the graphics card is using the new refreshrate as the "default" when trying to load..
Ant way to change this?

My first attempt with DTD trying 1080P50 the LCD booted with the standard graphics setting and gave me the option to change to the DTD tweaked, when this didn't work, the screen reverted back to the standard after 15 sek as normal when changing resolutions without .

Don't know why it worked with ATI and Powerstrip and not with G35 and DTD.

Attaching Woozys 1080i60..
Thanks again.

----

Tried some more and no other resolution other than the driver supplied 1080i30 or 1080i25 is working. Not even if i tweak to 1080i28Hz.

(Is it called 1080i30 or 1080i60?)
Something to do with Intel and ACER?
LL
Slangaren is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
archibael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangaren View Post

Hi,
Sorry, I don't have the Powerstrip settings as it doesn't work now.
But if I use Wo0zy's EDID and change it to 1080i60 Hz it doesn't show up in th choosable meny of refreshrates. But I guess it is the same as my original settings even though some of the Hex numbers are different even though that all data in the calculator looks identical.

If I then only thweak it to 1080P30Hz with everything else the same, the TV doesn't show anything, just flickers (using HDMI).
It seams like the graphics card is using the new refreshrate as the "default" when trying to load..
Ant way to change this?

My first attempt with DTD trying 1080P50 the LCD booted with the standard graphics setting and gave me the option to change to the DTD tweaked, when this didn't work, the screen reverted back to the standard after 15 sek as normal when changing resolutions without .

Don't know why it worked with ATI and Powerstrip and not with G35 and DTD.

Thanks again.

Given that we don't know the exact Powerstrip settings you used originally, it's hard to tell. My suspicion is that the Powerstrip settings were very different from what you're trying now. One thing is that you said you had 48Hz on your old setup, but everything you've been trying here so far has been 30Hz or 60Hz.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
archibael is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wo0zy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Slangaren,

I don't think 1080i60 will ever work mate. I think we need to start this one from scratch unless archibael has a flash of inspiration.

Can you remind us of the make/model of your display please.

Cheers,

Wo0zy
Wo0zy is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wo0zy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post

hey woozy,

did everything you told me and i finally getting somewhere. got the correct resolution and got the overscan issued worked out, but i can only get a refresh rate of 30 instead of 60. anyway to work around this?

thanks,
jesse

Hi Jesse,

When you say the correct resolution which one do your mean mate. 30Hz suggests 1080i in which case 30 is correct. Perhaps you can post the current DTD so we can check it out.

Wo0zy
Wo0zy is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 02:00 PM
AP2
Member
 
AP2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey woozy,

im trying a few other resolutions at the moment, but it wont let me apply the settings when im in the ruler screen. what am i doing wrong? btw, i thought 1080i is suppose to be at 60?
AP2 is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Member
 
Slangaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

Given that we don't know the exact Powerstrip settings you used originally, it's hard to tell. My suspicion is that the Powerstrip settings were very different from what you're trying now. One thing is that you said you had 48Hz on your old setup, but everything you've been trying here so far has been 30Hz or 60Hz.

True,

But with Powerstrip, I only unticked the "interlaced" tick and then it was possible to use any progressive refresh rate up to about 45 Hz.
After that I had to lower the backporch to 0 and then I could continue up to 50 Hz (then the sound dissapeared :-) ).

But now I have tried 1080P30 (and higher) with my standard setting from reading out from my EDID and then only untick interlaced in DTD without being able to get any picture/synch.


Raw EDID:
00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 04 72 08 ac 35 05 00 00
05 10 01 03 80 52 2e 96 2a e6 9d a3 54 4a 99 26
0f 47 4a af ee 00 71 4f 81 c0 81 40 81 80 90 40
01 01 01 01 01 01 01 1d 80 18 71 1c 16 20 58 2c
25 00 34 cc 31 00 00 9e
00 00 00 fd 00 32 55 1e
50 0d 00 0a 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 ff 00 36
30 34 30 30 35 33 35 0a 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 fc
00 41 63 65 72 20 41 54 33 37 30 35 0a 20 01 70
02 03 19 71 46 85 14 04 13 12 03 23 09 07 07 83
01 00 00 65 03 0c 00 10 00 01 1d 80 d0 72 1c 16
20 10 2c 25 80 c4 8e 21 00 00 9e 01 1d 00 72 51
d0 1e 20 6e 28 55 00 c4 8e 21 00 00 1e 01 1d 00
bc 52 d0 1e 20 b8 28 55 40 c4 8e 21 00 00 1e 8c
0a d0 90 20 40 31 20 0c 40 55 00 c4 8e 21 00 00
18 8c 0a d0 8a 20 e0 2d 10 10 3e 96 00 c4 8e 21
00 00 18 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e6

So I am guessing that Powerstrip would use the same reading from the EDID?

BTW Wo0zy, the LCD is an old ACER AT 3705W..

Sorry for the mess, but I am trying to see progressive here in PAL land.
Slangaren is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
archibael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking back, Woozy seems to have specified

02 3A 80 18 71 38 2C 40 58 2C 4A 00 34 CC 31 00 00 1E

for your 1080i60 rez, but that's 1080p60. For interlaced I'd stick with

01 1D 80 18 71 1C 16 20 58 2C 25 00 34 CC 31 00 00 9E

which is the generic VESA DTD for 1080i60 and what your monitor is asking for.

Are you sure you weren't sending 1920x540p60 on your old setup? That would be

01 1D 80 18 71 1C 16 20 58 2C 25 00 34 CC 31 00 00 1E

Again, it's difficult to guess how your old Powerstrip resolution was achieved; if we had those settings, we'd be in solution space right now. There is a significant benefit to Powerstrip's on the fly changes (as rebooting and changing to a new rez is a pain, though DTDCalculator makes it considerably less painful), but that's water under the bridge.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
archibael is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wo0zy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep. My mistake. Don't know how I came up with that one (maybe late nights and other things on my mind) sorry about that.

TBH the whole 1080i/p thing is a little weird. Strictly speaking there is no visible difference when playing video (after all it's all about the processing) however desktop stability and gaming is a different matter. Regardless of this surely the key aspect is the screens native resolution? Unless you get as close as possible to the native resolution there will always be an element of scaling involved therefore a screen with only 1360x768 or 1280x720 pixels will be best served with a 720p image (or 1360x768 if it's supported). How can any screen with less than 1920x1080 active pixels claim best results with 1080i or 1080p?

Anyway, archibael is, as always, spot on with regard to the claimed optimum resolution (and therefore DTD). Glad you're back .

As for whether 1080i30 or 1080i60 is correct, only your chosen Deity knows for sure and I'm not convinced DTD Calc handles interlaced conversion correctly for the Intel drivers (yet). Just clicking the "interlaced" button when you've selected the standard 1080p60 timing results in a doubling of the refresh rate (which isn't correct) however (and archibael will correct me if I'm wrong) Intel drivers think of 1080i as 1920x540 (all vertical timings are halved). How would you Interpret it?

Wo0zy.
Wo0zy is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 06:43 PM
AP2
Member
 
AP2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey woozy, here are my new dtd pulled off the intel tray:

Report Date: 01/29/2008
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 17:16:07
Driver Version: 7.14.10.1409
Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate* , (6.0.6000)
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 10.0
Physical Memory: 8182 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 358 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 148 MB
Processor: EM64T Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel
Processor Speed: 2405 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 2982
Device Revision: 03


* Accelerator Information *

Accelerator in Use: Intel(R) G35 Express Chipset Family
Video BIOS: 1508
Current Graphics Mode: 1824 by 1026 True Color (30 Hz)



* Devices Connected to the Graphics Accelerator *


Active Digital Televisions: 1


* Digital Television *

Monitor Name:
Display Type: Digital
Gamma Value: 2.20
DDC2 Protocol: Supported
Maximum Image Size: Horizontal: 27.0 inches
Vertical: 15.0 inches
Monitor Supported Modes:
640 by 480 (60 Hz)
720 by 480 (60 Hz)
1920 by 540 (60 Hz)
Display Power Management Support:
Standby Mode: Not Supported
Suspend Mode: Not Supported
Active Off Mode: Not Supported
Raw EDID:
00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 4d d9 00 95 01 01 01 01
27 10 01 03 80 46 28 78 0a 0d c9 a0 57 47 98 27
12 48 4c 20 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
01 01 01 01 01 01 01 1d 80 18 71 1c 16 20 58 2c
25 00 df a4 21 00 00 9e 8c 0a d0 8a 20 e0 2d 10
10 3e 96 00 30 a4 21 00 00 18 00 00 00 fc 00 53
4f 4e 59 20 54 56 0a 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 fd
00 3a 3e 0f 2e 08 00 0a 20 20 20 20 20 20 01 33
02 03 1b 76 47 85 02 03 04 06 07 01 23 09 07 07
83 01 00 00 66 03 0c 00 10 00 80 01 1d 00 72 51
d0 1e 20 6e 28 55 00 df a4 21 00 00 1e 8c 0a a0
14 51 f0 16 00 26 7c 43 00 30 a4 21 00 00 98 8c
0a d0 8a 20 e0 2d 10 10 3e 96 00 df a4 21 00 00
18 8c 0a a0 14 51 f0 16 00 26 7c 43 00 df a4 21
00 00 98 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 86


* SDVO Encoder Report *

** Encoder 1 **
Vendor ID: Silicon Image
Device ID: 174
Device Revision: 0
Major Version: 1
Minor Version: 2
AP2 is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wo0zy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post

hey woozy,

im trying a few other resolutions at the moment, but it wont let me apply the settings when im in the ruler screen. what am i doing wrong? btw, i thought 1080i is suppose to be at 60?

Hi AP2,

Sorry I missed your earlier post. Was feeling sorry for myself over the DTD error .

You can only use the "apply" button in the ruler tool if you are currently running your system at the resolution you loaded into DTD calc. For instance, if you want to adjust a 1280x720 resoltion, you must be running the desktop at 1280x720 first.

In your case you should be able to select 1920x540 (or 1920x1080 depending on how the Intel Graphics tray displays it) then launch DTD Calc and enter
01 1D 80 18 71 1C 16 20 58 2C 25 00 DF A4 21 00 00 9E
into the "reverse calculator" to load the exact timings from your EDID. Once you've done that, you should be able to use the ruler tool to adjust and apply the changes before saving them to the registry.

Hope this helps (I need a result ).

Wo0zy

Hope this helps.
Wo0zy is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 08:20 PM
AP2
Member
 
AP2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Hi AP2,

Sorry I missed your earlier post. Was feeling sorry for myself over the DTD error .

You can only use the "apply" button in the ruler tool if you are currently running your system at the resolution you loaded into DTD calc. For instance, if you want to adjust a 1280x720 resoltion, you must be running the desktop at 1280x720 first.

In your case you should be able to select 1920x540 (or 1920x1080 depending on how the Intel Graphics tray displays it) then launch DTD Calc and enter
01 1D 80 18 71 1C 16 20 58 2C 25 00 DF A4 21 00 00 9E
into the "reverse calculator" to load the exact timings from your EDID. Once you've done that, you should be able to use the ruler tool to adjust and apply the changes before saving them to the registry.

Hope this helps (I need a result ).

Wo0zy

Hope this helps.

no worries woozy! im just glad you are willing to help out. got everything to work and the screen seems to be sized correctly. although the desktop looks good (color wise), but the dekstop icons do not. the icons are abit washed out and the fonts are hard to read. overall i still think the connection with vga cables looks best, but audio suffers in camparison to the hdmi connection. is this something with my tv im using or do i actally need to purchase a video card?

thanks again woozy for helping me out!!!

jesse
AP2 is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
archibael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post

no worries woozy! im just glad you are willing to help out. got everything to work and the screen seems to be sized correctly. although the desktop looks good (color wise), but the dekstop icons do not. the icons are abit washed out and the fonts are hard to read.

Fonts being hard to read are a typical artifact of interlaced resolution, which is why in the earlier days 1920x540p was often preferred over 1080i. Depends on what your TV does with the incoming signal.

Quote:


overall i still think the connection with vga cables looks best, but audio suffers in camparison to the hdmi connection. is this something with my tv im using or do i actally need to purchase a video card?

thanks again woozy for helping me out!!!

jesse

Wo0zy rawks.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
archibael is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
archibael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Anyway, archibael is, as always, spot on with regard to the claimed optimum resolution (and therefore DTD). Glad you're back .

As ever, thanks for holding the fort.

Quote:


As for whether 1080i30 or 1080i60 is correct, only your chosen Deity knows for sure and I'm not convinced DTD Calc handles interlaced conversion correctly for the Intel drivers (yet). Just clicking the "interlaced" button when you've selected the standard 1080p60 timing results in a doubling of the refresh rate (which isn't correct) however (and archibael will correct me if I'm wrong) Intel drivers think of 1080i as 1920x540 (all vertical timings are halved). How would you Interpret it?

That's accurate.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
archibael is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 08:59 PM
AP2
Member
 
AP2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey archibael. so is the font/icon washout a common thing with htpc? also, does this mean my tv is set correctly and is ready to recieve hd/br playback besides the font/icon issue?

my drive should be here tomorrow.
AP2 is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wo0zy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post

hey archibael. so is the font/icon washout a common thing with htpc? also, does this mean my tv is set correctly and is ready to recieve hd/br playback besides the font/icon issue?

my drive should be here tomorrow.

All other issues aside the screen resolution is ready.

You could try adding the following DTD to the registry and then adjusting it.

01 1d 00 72 51 d0 1e 20 6e 28 55 00 df a4 21 00 00 1e

Knowing my rather shaky EDID interpretation you may want to wait for archibael to confirm this but I think it should be 720p@60 extracted from the second EDID block. This will obviously make everything on the desktop "bigger" but at least it's progressive rather than interlaced and also I suspect closer to your screens native resolution.

If you add it as a second entry (DTD_2) then you can easily revert back to the 1080i derived timing if you prefer it.

Cheers,

Wo0zy
Wo0zy is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
archibael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

All other issues aside the screen resolution is ready.

You could try adding the following DTD to the registry and then adjusting it.

01 1d 00 72 51 d0 1e 20 6e 28 55 00 df a4 21 00 00 1e

Knowing my rather shaky EDID interpretation you may want to wait for archibael to confirm this but I think it should be 720p@60 extracted from the second EDID block.

My dirty little secret: 90% of the time I use DTDCalculator Reverse Calculation to translate the DTD. I loves my math, but it's just sooooo much easier.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
archibael is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
archibael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post

hey archibael. so is the font/icon washout a common thing with htpc? also, does this mean my tv is set correctly and is ready to recieve hd/br playback besides the font/icon issue?

my drive should be here tomorrow.

Used to be more common since when TVs were 1080i, the were literally interlaced on a CRT. Nowadays they're often upscaled to a 1080p panel or otherwise messed with. But if you have a screen that's truly still interlacing, the font/icon issue is not unexpected.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
archibael is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 11:00 AM
AP2
Member
 
AP2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys thanks for your help! is there a big difference between 720P and 1080I? what do you guys prefer here?

i will play with it some more tonight afterwork. just to make sure im doing it right, here are the steps im doing:

1. open intel graphic try and select 1920x1080 (nothing fits on the screen)
2. open up DTD calc
3. enter 01 1D 80 18 71 1C 16 20 58 2C 25 00 DF A4 21 00 00 9E (1080i) into the reverse calculator
4. click on tuning tab
5. click on ruler on the bottom right corner
6. drag the boxes around so the red border fits perfectly in my screen
7. click apply
8. click on registry hack
9. click on "more"
10. click on get calculated
11. write to registry and reboot

am i doing it the right way?
AP2 is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Newbie
 
nerg1ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I cant get this to work. Im trying to get 1080p 24hz. I only got 1080p with 25i 30i 50 60 hz now. i have tried the standard timings, but i cant write to the registry.

I've got a gma 3100.
nerg1ve is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wo0zy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post

hey guys thanks for your help! is there a big difference between 720P and 1080I? what do you guys prefer here?

i will play with it some more tonight afterwork. just to make sure im doing it right, here are the steps im doing:

1. open intel graphic try and select 1920x1080 (nothing fits on the screen)
2. open up DTD calc
3. enter 01 1D 80 18 71 1C 16 20 58 2C 25 00 DF A4 21 00 00 9E (1080i) into the reverse calculator
4. click on tuning tab
5. click on ruler on the bottom right corner
6. drag the boxes around so the red border fits perfectly in my screen
7. click apply
8. click on registry hack
9. click on "more"
10. click on get calculated
11. write to registry and reboot

am i doing it the right way?

Given a choice between the three formats I prefer 1080p, 720p then 1080i (in that order) but obviously this really depends on the screen's capabilities and what it is most "comfortable" with. As all Flat Panel screens are progresive the resulting image will always be progresive however, if you send it an interlaced image you are relying on the screen deinterlacing it. If you send a progresive image that's one less step. Your screen says it likes 1080i the best (according to its EDID) so in theory it is happy to deinterlace the signal to produce its best image. I'm just suggesting 720p so you can compare the results yourself. Not only will it be progressive all the way but it is probably closer to your screens native resolution (actual number of pixels).

I have a good example from my own home experience. I have a Tosh LCD that accepts 1080i, 1080p and 720p via HDMI but it doesn't have enough pixels to display 1920x1080 natively (it's not "true HD" as Sony calls it). A 1080p desktop still looks good (if rather difficult to read) so my screen is a good little scaler. 720p is solid and easy to read, 1080i "shakes" regardless of the refresh. I can't tell the difference at all when watching video (DVD, HD DVD or BD) as long as my refresh rate is divisible by 25 so I use 720p. If my screen HAD 1920x1080 pixels then I've go with 1080p and buy a set of binoculars for desktop use

As far as your DTD Calc method is concerned, it seems correct except, if you're going to try 720p and the Intel Graphics tray doesn't list 1280x720 then you'll need to add the DTD I gave you to the registry prior to the rest of the steps so it can be selected before "adjustment".

Not sure if this will make sense and I know there will be people that disagree with my logic. All I'm saying is experiment with your kit and see which looks best to you.

Good luck

Wo0zy
Wo0zy is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wo0zy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerg1ve View Post

I cant get this to work. Im trying to get 1080p 24hz. I only got 1080p with 25i 30i 50 60 hz now. i have tried the standard timings, but i cant write to the registry.

I've got a gma 3100.

Need a bit more information mate. 25i & 30i and interlaced so not 1080p. 50and 60Hz could be. What does you screen support? Without your EDID information even archibael won't be able to help .

Try posting the report from the Intel Graphics tray and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

What happens when you try and write to the registry? Do you get an error or does it seem to work but after a reboot no new resolutions appear in the Graphics Tray? What OS are you running?

Cheers,

Wo0zy
Wo0zy is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Member
 
Slangaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

Given that we don't know the exact Powerstrip settings you used originally, it's hard to tell. My suspicion is that the Powerstrip settings were very different from what you're trying now. One thing is that you said you had 48Hz on your old setup, but everything you've been trying here so far has been 30Hz or 60Hz.

Hi again,

I finally found the settings I used for Powerstrip on my previous ATI X1600 PRO on XP Pro.
The thing that happend on the screen was that I could tune up Powerstrip to for example 1080P60Hz but the LCD only showed 1080P45Hz with this setting.
So my feeling is that the LCD HDMI HW speed limits at this refresh rate.
If I also tuned backporch to 0 the LCD could still follow a few Hz more.

The setting you see attached was functioning as above. The only thing I changed was the "Vertical geometry refresh rate" to 45 Hz fr it to reflect the rate that the LCD was showing.

I dont know what this would give as DTD?
LL
Slangaren is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Newbie
 
nerg1ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Need a bit more information mate. 25i & 30i and interlaced so not 1080p. 50and 60Hz could be. What does you screen support? Without your EDID information even archibael won't be able to help .

Try posting the report from the Intel Graphics tray and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

What happens when you try and write to the registry? Do you get an error or does it seem to work but after a reboot no new resolutions appear in the Graphics Tray? What OS are you running?

Cheers,

Wo0zy

It seems to work but icant find it in the Graphics Tray.

Monitor
Windows description......... Allmän PnP-bildskärm
Manufacturer description.... SANYO Z2000
Manufacturer................ Sanyo

Plug and Play ID............ SANBA02
Serial number............... n/a
EDID data source............ Registry (stored)

Manufacture date............ 2007, ISO week 41
EDID revision............... 1.3
Display type and signal..... Digital
Sync input support.......... n/a
Screen size................. 1600 x 900 mm (~76")
Power management............ n/a

Color characteristics
Display gamma............... 1,00
Red chromaticity............ Rx 0,640 - Ry 0,310
Green chromaticity.......... Gx 0,320 - Gy 0,660
Blue chromaticity........... Bx 0,150 - By 0,060
White point (default)....... Wx 0,300 - Wy 0,345

Timing characteristics
VESA GTF support............ Not supported
Horizontal scan range....... 15-80kHz
Vertical scan range......... 50-85Hz
Video bandwidth............. 160MHz
Extension blocks............ 1
Timing recommendation #1.... 1920x1080 at 60Hz
Modeline................ "1920x1080" 148,500 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
Timing recommendation #2.... 1920x1080 at 50Hz
Modeline................ "1920x1080" 148,500 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1116 1121 1125 +hsync +vsync

Standard timings supported
640 x 480 at 60Hz - IBM VGA
1920 x 1080 at 50Hz - Sanyo
1920 x 1080 at 60Hz - Sanyo

Raw EDID base
00: 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 4C 2E 02 BA 01 01 01 01
10: 29 11 01 03 80 A0 5A 00 0A D0 9D A3 4F 52 A9 26
20: 0F 4C 58 20 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
30: 01 01 01 01 01 01 02 3A 80 18 71 38 2D 40 58 2C
40: 45 00 00 00 00 00 00 1E 02 3A 80 D0 72 38 2D 40
50: 10 2C 45 80 00 00 00 00 00 1E 00 00 00 FD 00 32
60: 55 0F 50 10 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FC
70: 00 53 41 4E 59 4F 20 5A 32 30 30 30 0A 20 01 6A

Raw EDID extension (reserved)
00: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
40: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
50: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
60: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Display adapter
Adapter description......... Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Adapter device ID........... 0x29C28086
Display settings............ 1920x1080, 32bpp

User/computer information
Registered user name........ HTPC
Registered organization..... n/a
Network user name........... HTPC
Network computer name....... MEDIACENTER
Windows version ............ Windows 2000
Windows build .............. 6.00.6000
Installation date .......... n/a
nerg1ve is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wo0zy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangaren View Post

Hi again,

I finally found the settings I used for Powerstrip on my previous ATI X1600 PRO on XP Pro.
The thing that happend on the screen was that I could tune up Powerstrip to for example 1080P60Hz but the LCD only showed 1080P45Hz with this setting.
So my feeling is that the LCD HDMI HW speed limits at this refresh rate.
If I also tuned backporch to 0 the LCD could still follow a few Hz more.

The setting you see attached was functioning as above. The only thing I changed was the "Vertical geometry refresh rate" to 45 Hz fr it to reflect the rate that the LCD was showing.

I dont know what this would give as DTD?

The DTD for the Powerstrip information would be

6E 39 80 18 71 38 21 40 58 2C 5A 00 00 00 00 00 00 1E

(archibael, please check and mark my homework ).

Don't know if it'll work but that's the DTD.

Wo0zy
Wo0zy is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wo0zy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerg1ve View Post

It seems to work but icant find it in the Graphics Tray.

Monitor
Windows description......... Allmän PnP-bildskärm
Manufacturer description.... SANYO Z2000
Manufacturer................ Sanyo

Plug and Play ID............ SANBA02
Serial number............... n/a
EDID data source............ Registry (stored)

Manufacture date............ 2007, ISO week 41
EDID revision............... 1.3
Display type and signal..... Digital
Sync input support.......... n/a
Screen size................. 1600 x 900 mm (~76")
Power management............ n/a

Color characteristics
Display gamma............... 1,00
Red chromaticity............ Rx 0,640 - Ry 0,310
Green chromaticity.......... Gx 0,320 - Gy 0,660
Blue chromaticity........... Bx 0,150 - By 0,060
White point (default)....... Wx 0,300 - Wy 0,345

Timing characteristics
VESA GTF support............ Not supported
Horizontal scan range....... 15-80kHz
Vertical scan range......... 50-85Hz
Video bandwidth............. 160MHz
Extension blocks............ 1
Timing recommendation #1.... 1920x1080 at 60Hz
Modeline................ "1920x1080" 148,500 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
Timing recommendation #2.... 1920x1080 at 50Hz
Modeline................ "1920x1080" 148,500 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1116 1121 1125 +hsync +vsync

Standard timings supported
640 x 480 at 60Hz - IBM VGA
1920 x 1080 at 50Hz - Sanyo
1920 x 1080 at 60Hz - Sanyo

Raw EDID base
00: 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 4C 2E 02 BA 01 01 01 01
10: 29 11 01 03 80 A0 5A 00 0A D0 9D A3 4F 52 A9 26
20: 0F 4C 58 20 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
30: 01 01 01 01 01 01 02 3A 80 18 71 38 2D 40 58 2C
40: 45 00 00 00 00 00 00 1E 02 3A 80 D0 72 38 2D 40
50: 10 2C 45 80 00 00 00 00 00 1E 00 00 00 FD 00 32
60: 55 0F 50 10 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FC
70: 00 53 41 4E 59 4F 20 5A 32 30 30 30 0A 20 01 6A

Raw EDID extension (reserved)
00: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
30: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
40: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
50: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
60: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Display adapter
Adapter description......... Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Adapter device ID........... 0x29C28086
Display settings............ 1920x1080, 32bpp

User/computer information
Registered user name........ HTPC
Registered organization..... n/a
Network user name........... HTPC
Network computer name....... MEDIACENTER
Windows version ............ Windows 2000
Windows build .............. 6.00.6000
Installation date .......... n/a

That information suggests that 1920x1080 is already selectable in the Intel Graphics Tray. If it is then adding another with DTD Calc won't help. What you need to do is select your chosen timing (I'm guessing 1080p60) from the Intel Graphics Tray then launch DTD Calc and enter the following DTD into the reverse calculator

02 3A 80 18 71 38 2D 40 58 2C 45 00 00 00 00 00 00 1E

If you want 50Hz instead then select that and enter

02 3A 80 D0 72 38 2D 40 10 2C 45 80 00 00 00 00 00 1E

After that, use the ruler tool to adjust as needed (avoiding odd numbered pixel counts and odd numbered "H start of sync pulse" values) then save the new DTD to the registry and see if the new resolution is selectable from the Tray.

If it isn't you could be one of the few with "different" registry keys in which case a driver reinstallation might help. Are you using an English Language version of windows? Also if Vista, ensure you "right-click" on the DTD Calc icon and "Run as Administrator" (although if this was the problem, I'd expect and error when attempting to write to the registry).

Hope this helps,

Wo0zy
Wo0zy is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wo0zy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

My dirty little secret: 90% of the time I use DTDCalculator Reverse Calculation to translate the DTD. I loves my math, but it's just sooooo much easier.

So do I now but I still F**k it up by the looks of things

Although manually decoding the Data Block in V3 has become a bit of a hobby now. Thanks for that mate not sure what I used to do in my spare time before I met you

Roll on DTD Calc V2

Wo0zy
Wo0zy is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Newbie
 
nerg1ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

That information suggests that 1920x1080 is already selectable in the Intel Graphics Tray. If it is then adding another with DTD Calc won't help. What you need to do is select your chosen timing (I'm guessing 1080p60) from the Intel Graphics Tray then launch DTD Calc and enter the following DTD into the reverse calculator

02 3A 80 18 71 38 2D 40 58 2C 45 00 00 00 00 00 00 1E

If you want 50Hz instead then select that and enter

02 3A 80 D0 72 38 2D 40 10 2C 45 80 00 00 00 00 00 1E

After that, use the ruler tool to adjust as needed (avoiding odd numbered pixel counts and odd numbered "H start of sync pulse" values) then save the new DTD to the registry and see if the new resolution is selectable from the Tray.

If it isn't you could be one of the few with "different" registry keys in which case a driver reinstallation might help. Are you using an English Language version of windows? Also if Vista, ensure you "right-click" on the DTD Calc icon and "Run as Administrator" (although if this was the problem, I'd expect and error when attempting to write to the registry).

Hope this helps,

Wo0zy

Thank you!
It works perfect!
nerg1ve is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off