Custom Resolution Tool for Intel Graphics: Easier Overscan Correction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1291 Old 11-30-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DTD Calculator:
Clever Technology Making Custom Resolutions for Intel Graphics Easier

For those of you who have or are considering Intel integrated graphics solutions, you may or may not have observed that the standard tool for coping with custom resolutions-- EnTech's Powerstrip-- doesn't work properly with Intel graphics. Why that is is somewhat irrelevant to the discussion here. The important thing is that the Powerstrip situation doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon, and Intel hasn't published any information which implies there is something in the works at their end.

This situation comes at a very annoying time, since the Intel Graphics are becoming a better and better solution for a home theater PC with new DVI and HDMI solutions and better video processing capabilities.

Intel graphics have the capability of specifying custom timings using the VESA standard Detailed Timing Descriptor (DTD), but it's a register hack and the method is cryptic (see http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/W...aphics/239.htm for more than you've ever wanted to know on the matter). A better method is desirable: something graphical as Powerstrip provides, and as Nvidia and ATI provide as well. Not sure it will ever be easy to understand, but it should at least be easier to get the work done. That's where a freeware program called DTDCalculator (developed out of the kindness of their heart by the nice guys at Clever Technologies in the UK) comes in.

DTDCalculator's primary goal is to take a very manual, math-intensive process and make it human. And I think it succeeds.

1) You can download the software installer from my personal site at
http://members.cox.net/archibael/setupdtd100.exe
Clever Technologies is also hosting:
http://www.clevertec.co.uk/productsfree.htm#dtdcalc

2) Install the SW and start it up. Note that you need to be running the application with Administrative privileges in order to write to the registry under Vista with UAC enabled.

3) Get one or more DTDs from some source and write them to the registry

There are several starting places:

a) One of the most accurate (for your particular monitor) would be by grabbing the EDID data from the Intel Graphics Tray Information button (choose "Save to File" and the raw EDID will pop up). Use the instructions from the DTD Wiki I referenced above to find the proper DTDs, paste one into the DTD field of the Reverse Calculation screen and hit the button there.

b) Another option is to find a Linux Modeline out there which someone has used for your monitor, and to input the parameters into the left panel, thus autogenerating the proper DTD for use with Intel graphics.

c) Another is to use a standard (provided), Consumer Electronics Association resolution by selecting one of the choices under "Standard Timings" in the Calculations tab.

In each case, the DTD Calculator tool will show the DTD across the bottom of the window, and will show the exact timing parameters in the left panel. Once you've inserted or selected a basic DTD, proceed to the Registry Hack section. You may or may not have DTDs on this screen (depending on if you've hacked them before or not), but if you want more resolutions than are listed shown there, click the More button. A blank DTD will be generated, ready to be stuffed into the registry. Since we've already got one selected, click "Get Calculated". This will take the current DTD and put it in memory as something you want to send to the registry as a selectable resolution. Repeat for as many as you'd like (up to five). When done, click "Write DTDs to Registry". Reboot, and the new resolutions you inserted should be selectable using the normal methods (Intel Graphics Tray or Windows Display Properties Settings).

Just as a note: if you write to the registry a resolution which matches, in description, one which the Intel graphics drivers are already providing ("1920x1080 interlaced @ 60Hz"), when the reboot occurs only one of the two will be selectable. Which is it? Is it the one you're using to do your overscan correction, or is the driver default one? There's no way to tell! So before putting your DTD in the Registry Hack screen, "tag" it by giving it a very obviously non-standard resolution. Changing the Horizontal Active pixels by 1 or 2 in the left panel is probably your best bet. That way you'll be able to distinguish between "1920x1080i @ 60Hz" and your custom "1922x1080i @ 60Hz". Don't be too worried about the exact resolution you select being "right"; this is just temporary, anyway. Your final overscan-free DTD will be something drastically different from the original and it's unlikely you will ever confuse 1920x1080 with 1898x1070. This method has the added bonus of fooling the drivers into being able to display resolutions your vendor (typically laptop) has (for whatever reason) specifically disabled in their BIOS.

4) Overscan Correction

At this point, especially if you've chosen 1080i or 720p, your TV probably has some level of overscan, meaning that the edges of your desktop or other content is beyond the edges of your screen, and you can't access taskbars or the minimize or close buttons. Highly annoying! Fortunately, that's the primary function of DTD Calculator: eliminating this pesky overscan. Open DTD Calculator, go to Registry Hack again, find the DTD which matches the resolution you are currently in and click Create Modeline to load the current DTD into memory.

Proceed to the Tuning tab, and click Ruler. Superimposed translucently on your desktop is a window you can use to find the right dimensions for your screen. Stretch it to fit to the edges of your screen (use the up/down left/right buttons to do fine tuning if your mouse hand is as jittery as mine) and when you're done click the Apply button. The new, non-overscanned screen size will be computed as a new DTD (you may notice the parameters have now changed.... or you may not, if you don't ordinarily memorize resolution timing parameters).

5) Fine tuning

You've sized the desktop appropriately, now, to fit your screen, but is the image where you'd expect it to be? Or is it shifted left, right... in some way askew? You can use the buttons on the tuning screen to ensure the image moves to the right spot on screen, and you can watch the little image move around the big black box.

6) Finalize
When you're done, and the resolution is as you like it, go back to the Registry Hack tab, choose one of the five available DTD "slots" in the registry, and click "Get Calculated" to change it to what you currently have developed. Click "Write DTDs to Registry" again to rewrite the new resolution to the registry, and then reboot. The new DTD will show up now under the regular resolutions. It's likely something really weird like 1820x996 or 1198x712, but it will be there and it should provide you with an overscanless screen to the limits that your monitor can provide. Voila!

7) There are other ways you can use the DTD Calculator-- a pure way of calculating a Modeline from the EDID (or vice versa). It's an excellent tool and I urge anyone who comes up with a useful application for it aside from what I've outlined here to post your experiences.

Afterword

Again, I ask you to be fairly kind in any suggestions or requests for new features. It's not my software (though it makes my life easier) and it is in fact provided by some folks who just thought it would be a nice favor to do for the community. They didn't write the Intel drivers, and while I and they will probably try to help with any weirdnesses as much as can be done, the bottom line is: if there is a driver problem, go to Intel.

This software is provided with no guarantees, express or otherwise. (At least, I think I saw lawyerspeak like that on some software once. Maybe it will do the trick.)

I reiterate my special thanks to AVS's very own Wo0zy and to his cadre of folks. Without them this software would have been solely in my head, and my Brain-to-IA32 compiler SUCKS. They went above and beyond on this, adding functionalities I hadn't thought of. I cannot say enough good things about them.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1291 Old 12-02-2007, 12:28 AM

Hi,
this is very promising, sorry for a few basic questions:
Does this tool work for WinXP with MCE and Intel 945GM ?
Can resolutions for VGA/DVI outputs also adjusted,
espcially 720x480 (16:9) for a 'K90 - 7" InDash VGA Touchscreen USB' ?

Thanks

Joe
post #3 of 1291 Old 12-02-2007, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugoE View Post

Hi,

Thanks

Hi SugoE,

Yes. The tool will work with all Intel graphics from GMA900 onwards (maybe more but I'd need to check that with Archibael) and is tested on XP and Vista with VGA, DVI and HDMI outputs.

Good luck. If you have any problems or feedback please let us know.

Wo0zy.
post #4 of 1291 Old 12-02-2007, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks

Yeah, I should add that to the instructions. This should work with WinXP and Vista on:

GMA900 aka 915G/GM
GMA950 aka 945G/GM
GMA3000/3000X aka G965/Q965/946Z
GMA3100X aka GM965
GMA3100 aka G31/G33
GMA3500X aka G35

or any variant chipset which works with their drivers (any 15.x and 14.27 or higher). I fear registry incompatibilities with some of the variants, so be sure and let us know if your machine based on any of these is failing to read/write to the registry so the robustness of those routines can be improved.

VGA and DVI should both be equally adjustable as HDMI-- more so, perhaps, since HDMI inputs are quite finicky. Might even work with the forthcoming DisplayPort, but I'm not sure the drivers won't be re-architected by then.

but I do work there.
post #5 of 1291 Old 12-02-2007, 09:24 AM

I'm helping a guy in another forum on this, it's seems that the tool sets the registry correctly,
but the 720x480 is not selectable in the display resolutions (all video modes are shown ).
Any oher tip ?

Joe
post #6 of 1291 Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So you're saying 720x480 is available in the list of modes but when you select it nothing happens?

but I do work there.
post #7 of 1291 Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 PM

Pretty cool tool, thanks for the efforts and excellent documentation! Unfortunately, I ran into two problems, one I can live with, and one that is a deal breaker. I am using the HDMI output from the GigaByte motherboard, which uses a dual audio/video driver from Intel. As soon as I select my "new" resolution, the audio channel goes dead. So my guess is that when I write to the registry with the DTD Calculator tool, it corrupts the HDMI audio portion. I guess I might need to manually edit the registry myself, versus writing it with the DTD calculator. Where do I get the data that the tools is writing to the registry?

For the minor issue, I got the display to look great from the bottom and right, but I could never get the left side to properly align with the screen edge. NO matter what tweaks I made with the fine tuning, there would always be about a half icon truncated.
post #8 of 1291 Old 12-02-2007, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What is the resolution you are selecting? I've seen reports that non-1080/720/480-based resolutions break HDMI audio. Since the HDMI audio spec is silent on these resolutions, I'm not sure yet whether it's a spec problem or a driver problem, though I'm leaning towards the latter.

Some televisions attempt to be "helpful" when presented with a larger blanking interval and "readjust" the display so the blanking interval always shows up in the same spot, regardless of where the sync pulse is.

but I do work there.
post #9 of 1291 Old 12-02-2007, 10:32 PM

Resolution is 1280x720, which I then adjust. If I switch back to one of the built-in resolutions, the HDMI audio comes back. It's a shame that Intel has dropped the ball on this chip-set with regards to TV displays, as any cheap nVidia board will work just fine for me. But the point was for it to be "integrated"! I'm probably gonna sell/return the board, or find a low-profile video card, as this is just taking up too much of my time! Thanks for your help.
post #10 of 1291 Old 12-02-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

So you're saying 720x480 is available in the list of modes but when you select it nothing happens?

No, 720x480 is not listed in the available modes, however it works with the
Intel(R) Embedded Graphics Drivers, but these fail to work with Xp Media Center Software.
BTW, native resolution of display is 800x480

Thanks

Joe
post #11 of 1291 Old 12-02-2007, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, 720x480 is not listed in the available modes, however it works with the
Intel(R) Embedded Graphics Drivers, but these fail to work with Xp Media Center Software.
BTW, native resolution of display is 800x480

Thanks

Laptop or desktop? Sounds suspiciously like BIOS refusal, in which case 718x480 should work.

but I do work there.
post #12 of 1291 Old 12-02-2007, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondisdead View Post

Resolution is 1280x720, which I then adjust. If I switch back to one of the built-in resolutions, the HDMI audio comes back. It's a shame that Intel has dropped the ball on this chip-set with regards to TV displays, as any cheap nVidia board will work just fine for me. But the point was for it to be "integrated"! I'm probably gonna sell/return the board, or find a low-profile video card, as this is just taking up too much of my time! Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear that. I know it doesn't do you any good this time around, but be sure and send your feedback to Intel Customer Service so they know why they lost the sale: buggy HDMI drivers.

but I do work there.
post #13 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Archibael,

I think we need to look into this audio issue. With all the custom timings I've tried (even the ones that don't fit my TV. For testing you understand ). I've still got audio via HDMI. Very odd that others don't. Is there any sign of a pattern from the examples you've been made aware of?

bondisdead,

I know you don't want to mess with this anymore but would you mind letting us know the make and model of your TV. Also are you connecting directly to it or via an AV receiver? If receiver would you mind specifying the make and model of that also.

Thanks in advance for the information and your feedback so far.

Cheers,

Wo0zy.
post #14 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 08:13 AM

Okay, that last post was out of frustration. Too many hours spent over my precious weekend. I am refreshed now.

My setup is as follows. The HDMI output going to my Onkyo TX-SR804's HDMI In. The Onkyo processes the audio, and passes the video onto my Samsung LN-S4692D 46" LCD HDTV (720p). The spec sheet for the TV claims native resolution of 1360x768 @60Hz. A direct VGA connection fits aspect ratio just fine.

I decided to work around the audio problem by using the SPDIF connection for audio, and the DVI output for video. I now run the SPDIF to my Onkyo's Optical In, and the DVI from the motherboard goes thru a DVI/HDMI connector, then into my Onkyo. Audio problem is now solved. However, the overscan problem is still there. A couple of quirks. While I still get 1/2 the icons on the left truncated, the right side looks great in windows, as does the bottom. The top is slightly truncated. I've tried I don't know how many reboots and fine tuning to get it right! Nevertheless, I can live with this display. However, once I open Vista media center, there is a large bar on the right side of the screen, which is either blacked our or flickers. I am guessing that it is underscanned??

Perhaps it's just that I am not Ruler Tuning correctly? I notice little black squares on the edges and corners. There is also a red-border. Am I trying to get the red-border to align with the edges of my display? Sometimes when I bring up the Ruler, the Save button is greyed out. It's that way once i bring it up, and regardless if I make changes. Also, on the Tuning screen, the red/black rectangle is always shifted to the right, with more open space on the left. Argh, I guess I'm an idiot right now! ;-)
post #15 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Hi Archibael,
I think we need to look into this audio issue. With all the custom timings I've tried (even the ones that don't fit my TV. For testing you understand ). I've still got audio via HDMI. Very odd that others don't. Is there any sign of a pattern from the examples you've been made aware of?

Just the aforementioned failure to transmit when the number of vertical lines isn't 480, 720, or 1080.

I chalked it up to a spec implementation problem and forwarded it to our audio folks, but got no response. Which isn't isn't encouraging, but isn't wholly unencouraging: sometimes when I get no response it's fixed on the next driver release.

but I do work there.
post #16 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, that last post was out of frustration. Too many hours spent over my precious weekend. I am refreshed now.

My setup is as follows. The HDMI output going to my Onkyo TX-SR804's HDMI In. The Onkyo processes the audio, and passes the video onto my Samsung LN-S4692D 46" LCD HDTV (720p). The spec sheet for the TV claims native resolution of 1360x768 @60Hz. A direct VGA connection fits aspect ratio just fine.

I decided to work around the audio problem by using the SPDIF connection for audio, and the DVI output for video. I now run the SPDIF to my Onkyo's Optical In, and the DVI from the motherboard goes thru a DVI/HDMI connector, then into my Onkyo. Audio problem is now solved. However, the overscan problem is still there. A couple of quirks. While I still get 1/2 the icons on the left truncated, the right side looks great in windows, as does the bottom. The top is slightly truncated. I've tried I don't know how many reboots and fine tuning to get it right! Nevertheless, I can live with this display. However, once I open Vista media center, there is a large bar on the right side of the screen, which is either blacked our or flickers. I am guessing that it is underscanned??

Yeah, some Samsung's can go 1360x768 over HDMI, others cannot (even when it's the native rez). 720p is what I would send if that's what it's advertising as, and I'm assuming that's what the resolution you're sending to the monitor is based on... Can you try a 1080i resolution instead to see if that improves matters? Either way your TV is going to be scaling; you might get better underscan with 1080i.

but I do work there.
post #17 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Know the feeling

Quote:

Thanks for the info.

Quote:

However, the overscan problem is still there. A couple of quirks. While I still get 1/2 the icons on the left truncated, the right side looks great in windows, as does the bottom. The top is slightly truncated. I've tried I don't know how many reboots and fine tuning to get it right! Nevertheless, I can live with this display. However, once I open Vista media center, there is a large bar on the right side of the screen, which is either blacked our or flickers. I am guessing that it is underscanned??

The black line/right border thing in media center seems to be a media center issue. I've had this when testing an ATi card with custom resolutions as well so it's not just Intel IGP's that do this. Very slightly overscanning the right border usually fixes the problem. Having an undercanned (as you suggest) and perfect fit timing seems to cause it but only ever on the right hand side??. Applying the reg hack to force VMC to use the same timings as your desktop may help this. (not sure. I need to do more testing on this).

Quote:

Perhaps it's just that I am not Ruler Tuning correctly? I notice little black squares on the edges and corners. There is also a red-border. Am I trying to get the red-border to align with the edges of my display? Sometimes when I bring up the Ruler, the Save button is greyed out. It's that way once i bring it up, and regardless if I make changes. Also, on the Tuning screen, the red/black rectangle is always shifted to the right, with more open space on the left. Argh, I guess I'm an idiot right now! ;-)

Couple of things spring to mind. Firstly, the ruler "apply" button is only greyed out if your desktop resolution doesn't match the timings you've loaded into the DTD Calc. For example if you are running at 800x600 and load a 1024x768 modeline/DTD. I guess what you may be doing is forgetting to select your current timing from the Reg Hack tab before using the Ruler tool when this happens?

The little black squares are used for dragging and resizing on a large scale. The buttons in the middle provide fine tuning. The idea is to get the red boarder perfectly aligned with the edge of your display. If the red border width reduces, you've gone too far (although going slightly too far, at least on the RHS may help the media center issue)

The black rectangle with the Red bordered rectangle inside (shaded blue with green corners) which appears on the main "Tuning" tab is a representation of where your active pixels (viewable area) "sit" in relation to your total horizontal and vertical blanking intervals and really only needs to be used for very fine tuning if ,once you have a correctly sized image, it is skewed in some way (too far up, down, left or right). When using this, it is important to note that whatever you do to one border you must do to the opposite border as well or you will end up reducing the number of active pixels rather than just moving them. I have never seen a timing which results in the "active pixels" rectangle being dead center of the blanking intervals so don't worry about it being "off center". This screen doesn't allow you to change the width of your sync pulse only the position (for obvious reasons).

If this doesn't help. Perhaps you could post your new DTD so Archibael can take a look at it.

Good luck and thanks again for coming back with the information.

Cheers,

Wo0zy.
post #18 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just the aforementioned failure to transmit when the number of vertical lines isn't 480, 720, or 1080.

I chalked it up to a spec implementation problem and forwarded it to our audio folks, but got no response. Which isn't isn't encouraging, but isn't wholly unencouraging: sometimes when I get no response it's fixed on the next driver release.

Far enough. Fingers crossed.

Wonder why it works with my TV regardless of the resolution?

Cheers,

Wo0zy
post #19 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anglophile coders in our graphics department made sure it would work at 50Hz?

but I do work there.
post #20 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anglophile coders in our graphics department made sure it would work at 50Hz?

LOL. Can't blame them for lovin us really

We're, I think the phrase is, Quaint

Shame they aren't "that way inclined" towards their own UK support staff

Wo0zy.
post #21 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I suspect Dr. Who or R*d Dw*rf sympathies, myself. I think some if this coding is done in Bangalore, now, so maybe it's a Commonwealth thing.

The other commonality seems to be that the people having the problem are running through a receiver instead of directly to a TV. Given that, it could be that the 2-channel solution is less buggy (since 2-channel LPCM has been around for years on SPDIF). But that's pure speculation.

but I do work there.
post #22 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Laptop or desktop? Sounds suspiciously like BIOS refusal, in which case 718x480 should work.

It's a 'CALUCORE-MC - Core2Duo Car-PC Barebone'.

Just to figure out this tool, i run it on my latptop with 945GM chipset.
The number of DTD's when reading registry with DTDcalc is 0,
but there are 5 DTD values in the registry, so i set all values of TotalDTDCount to 5
and now i see them in DTDcalulator but not in the list of available modes for the adapter.

Is it a laptop issue?

Joe
post #23 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a 'CALUCORE-MC - Core2Duo Car-PC Barebone'.

Just to figure out this tool, i run it on my latptop with 945GM chipset.
The number of DTD's when reading registry with DTDcalc is 0,
but there are 5 DTD values in the registry, so i set all values of TotalDTDCount to 5
and now i see them in DTDcalulator but not in the list of available modes for the adapter.

Is it a laptop issue?

Not quite. The DTD calculator checks your registry for existing custom DTD's. If there aren't any it will state "0" (it checks a "TotalDTDCOunt" key (in a number of places). By default the Intel drivers set this to "0". You then click the "more" button which changes the necessary registry keys to support 1 custom timing. If you want 2 custom timings you click "more" again etc etc up to a total of 5 (the maximum supported)

Once you've configured a timing you click "get calculated" next to one of your enabled DTD values. You should now see the DTD next to this entry change from all zero's to the timing you have just configured. At this point click "Write DTD's to Registry" and your new timing will be written to the correct locations in your registry and be available when you reboot.

If you don't click get calculated or you haven't created a custom timing (see Archibael's instructions for this), all zero's will be written back to the registry and no new resolutions will be available.

Hope this helps,

Wo0zy
post #24 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm willing to bet the 720x480 is a BIOS issue, yes. I think 718x480 (or even 722x480) will work fine.

Basically, there's a "mode pruning" step which occurs before modes are listed, and one place which is checked is the Mode Removal Table in the BIOS, which can contain various entries like "1280 720 60Hz,59Hz,50Hz" or "720 480 60Hz". If a resolution is found there, it will not appear in the list of available modes. (Why we are still providing a facility for OEMs to do this in their VideoBIOS is beyond me, other than for some reason the OEMs apparently still want it.)

Have you done "Write to Registry" once you've filled the DTDs in with Get Calculated? If so, and it's still not working, you may have found a bug with DTD Calculator... check with regedit to see that your DTD_1, _2, etc. are filled in with the DTDs you've provided. If some copies are not, let us know the registry keys which are wrong/not filled in.

Only difference between laptop and desktop chipsets as far as this goes are that it is rare for desktop manufacturers to use the Mode Removal Table, and it's comparatively common on laptops (Toshiba and Dell are two I know who use it).

but I do work there.
post #25 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 01:36 PM

Do the embedded drivers ignore the 'Mode Removal in BIOS' since these work ?

Yes, id did a 'get calculated' and 'write registry'.
Since i had five predefined DTD values with DTD_5 = 00 00 ...
i modified all instances of DTD_5 with the calculated values for 720x480 by hand in the registry.
Reboot and DTD Calc shows them.
Next calculated values for 722x480 'get calc','write reg' and reboot. Now all instances of DTD_5 are set back to '00 00 00 ...'

Edit: Driver Version 6.14.10.4864, Laptop Compaq nc6320, WinXP SP2

Any clue ?

Joe
post #26 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep. I suspect the thought process is that people who are using Intel embedded graphics probably know exactly what hardware they are dealing with and should be able to ignore the dumb BIOS settings, whereas people using the normal drivers must be protected from themselves. (Yes, I am being sarcastic. I do not generally enjoy being protected from myself.)

Quote:

i modified all instances of DTD_5 with the calculated values for 720x480 by hand in the registry.
Next calculated values for 722x480 'get calc','write reg' and reboot. Now all instances of DTD_5 are set back to '00 00 00 ...'
Any clue ?

I'll leave this one to Wo0zy, 'cause it's hard.

but I do work there.
post #27 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 03:06 PM

Just did a test with a connected TV via S-Video to my notebook, as soon as the TV output is activated i see modes like 720x480, 720x576 which were not in the list of valid modes before.
So there seems to be some other mechanismn to enable display modes too.

Anyway thanks to archibael, Wo0zy and Paul for this tool ,

Joe
post #28 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is wacky. So it now allows 720x480 to your other displays now that it is enabled on the TV output? [there needs to be an emoticon for a Spock-like single raised eyebrow] Sounds like the pruning for Cloning is in effect (prunes modes that cannot be displayed by both monitors), but don't see why if you didn't have TV display enabled before.

As long as it works... [grumbles about weird pruning rules]

but I do work there.
post #29 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Edit: Driver Version 6.14.10.4864, Laptop Compaq nc6320, WinXP SP2

Any clue ?

None at all really.

My first thought is an inconsistency in the registry keys that have been created by the driver installation however, if DTD Calc shows the correct DTD's (count AND values) once they have been manually edited, this can't be the case. If it can show them it can write to them.

Can you post the DTD's that exist in all five entries plus the reg keys you manually edited so we can compare with the keys we check? Only keys under "CurrentVersion" are needed.

I've not come across a system that has predefined DTD's active by default. All of the desktop systems we've tested have TotalDTDCount set to "0".

Unless you are using all 5, I would suggest setting TotalDTDCount back to 1, create you new values and write them back to DTD_1 then see what happens.

One last thing. DTD Calc might show them but do you see the DTD's as selectable resolutions once manually edited? If not you may well have a problem that's beyond the scope of the software. Maybe a driver removal and registry purge would help?

Sorry I can't be of more help tonight. I will ask the chief developer to take a look at your post tomorrow but without the information I've requested I doubt there's much we can do.

Cheers,

Wo0zy
post #30 of 1291 Old 12-03-2007, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

In that case, disregard that last post Captain. I'm stumped

But if you're happy, I'm happy
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List