Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1141 of 1146 Old 08-19-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Close... So close...

Believe it or not, I figured out how to get the ATI HDTV Wonder recognized by Linux!

It's actually a fairly simple two-step process:

(1) First, you have to get the proper firmware downloaded. I followed the instructions here:

http://pyther.net/tag/nxt2004/

The only difference is that instead of putting the dvb-fe-nxt2004.fw file in /lib/firmware, it goes in /lib/firmware/[Linux Kernel Version]. This will be a directory such as 3.13.0-24-generic or some such.

(2) Second, you have to create the proper options file so the OS picks it up. There are several different ways to do this depending on your setup. For mine, you have to create a text file called /etc/modprobe.d/cx88xx.conf. In that file goes the following line: "options cx88xx card=34".

After doing these two steps, reboot. The card is now recognized by Ubuntu.

I've tried MythTV and TVHeadEnd, both PVR capture programs for Linux. TVHeadEnd seems to work better for this application. Once it does a channel scan and finds the OTA broadcasters in the area, those channels are presented to XBMC.

Here's where the problem comes in. If I connect to the z555 from a different computer over the network with VLC, I can view the channels from TVHeadEnd. They are gorgeous! Great playback, great sound. However, when I try to view the channels on the z555 itself, that's where the problems start. First, there's no picture. Second, the sound plays but cuts off after 10 seconds or so.

But I'm really closing in on it! Once I get those issues sorted out, then the PVR function will be licked!

I'm almost the point that I might rename it the z555buntu...

BW
ajhieb likes this.

Last edited by BigWorm2005GT; 08-19-2014 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Corrected filename of options file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1146 Old 08-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Success!

BW, Thank You for the advice on the video card. Using the 6600 I remember the CPU pegged at 100% while trying to watch full screen OTA HDTV on our 50" Samsung Plazma and it would stutter and pixelate making it pretty much useless for the first 20-30 seconds.. For other channels that are HD conversions the CPU would run about 80% average but I could record and not have any issues.

I ordered a Nvidea GT 610 from Amazon on Tuesday, it arrived yesterday, installed in minutes, it automatically downloaded and installed the drivers (said it failed), I rebooted when it said to and all I can say is WOW!!! With this card, which comes with 1TB of DDR3 RAM, the CPU is running at less than 10%, no stutters, pixelization, etc. Absolutely fantastic!

Now, on to my next issue. The TV card sees 64 channels some with great signal strength, others with a single red bar. There are three of four channels I really care about and can't receive. The fourth channel has a red bar for signal strength and comes through great. I also cannot record that channel although I can record other channels. I'm guessing the ATI HDTV Wonder Card or Hauppaugh Cable ready & analog signal card is failing.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an OTA HDTV Card? I don't plan on using a satellite or cable provider but you never know what the future has in store...

Assuming I can make a fairly quick purchase of a new card and the install goes great, the last issue is the display that always says "Welcome to the HP Digital Entertainment System". Not a crisis but would be nice to have it working correctly.

Thanks in advance!
Charlie
post #1143 of 1146 Old 08-22-2014, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
@ GT-Charlie,

Well done and congratulations!

If you're using Windows 7, you may want to look at the HDHomeRun. That would likely be the best choice. Otherwise, you'd be limited to an external USB device, since the likelihood of finding a PCI card that exactly fits the holes in the back is somewhere between slim and "Are you kidding?"

I might be changing out the video card on mine, as well. The EAH 4550 is a great card, but the onboard audio device doesn't support DTS, which I prefer to Dolby. So when I have a movie that has a DTS Soundtrack, that's my go-to choice. It still outputs as LPCM 48, or so my amp says, but still.

So, question: On your new GT 610, does it output the audio through the HDMI? I ask because Windows on mine had that stubborn resource conflict and wouldn't let the audio device on the EAH 4550 function. Linux has no such problem. And if so, does it support all the formats, such as Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, etc?

BW
post #1144 of 1146 Old 08-23-2014, 07:41 PM

Thanks again BW,

I'll check out the site and determine what to do before tomorrow is over. My first thought is can I watch OTA TV using this box through Media Center? From what I can tell, with those devices anyone with a PC on our network could watch TV... I have two kids living at home, one with A.D.D. the other with A.D.H.D. and they both have PC's in their bedrooms for homework use. If they found out they could watch TV through the PC I might not see them again, LOL.

I looked at the specs for the GT-610 and it states "TrueHD and DTS-HD Audio Bitstreaming support" on the box. I'm pushing my audio through a Yamaha receiver and would have to reconfig to test... yuk. Again, the GT-610 did wonders for my DEC. The only thing I had to physically change was the filler plate. I removed the original from the 6600, held the new low profile plate over the top and aligned the DVI connector bolt holes and marked the HDMI hole with a pencil. I then used a small drill bit to cut the hole and filed out the rough edges. Took about 30 minutes and other than a couple of scratches from loosing control of the small file I think it looks good.

I've been reading about PCI cards and obviously can't use a PCI-e card (unless I'm all wrong about the slot where the current TV card is in) the newest one from Hauppaugh is the WinTV-HVR-1150 PCI hybrid TV tuner and looks like it just might work. Of course that means modifying or building a cover plate.
post #1145 of 1146 Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

I replaced the Hauppauge and ATI TV tuner card combination with a single Hauppauge 1150. I did not have to alter my cover plate either. Absolutely no change as I still can't see other channels. However, using WinTV that came with the new card, all of the channels with a usable signal were available. I thought about simply using WinTV until I noticed the CPU running at 90%+ and the shows would occasionally stutter.

This morning I was walking through all of the options and figured mine out, it's simple. For those using Win 7 and Media Center give this a try, no hacking involved.

Launch Media Center, go to: Tasks, Settings, TV, Guide, Edit Channels, Auto Select. The process on my system took approximately 30 minutes so be patient.

After it finished I went back and checked the channels and they are ALL available through Media Center now. And when I click "record", it records like it should. I then went back and "unchecked" the channels I don't want showing up on the guide. Life is good again.

BTW, running the Auto Select found seven additional channels called "Internet Channels" for news, sports, drama, comedy, etc. and assigned them channels 9000 through 9006. I don't know how to access them but I'll be working on it next.

Charlie
post #1146 of 1146 Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

Liked: 18
Oh great. Another breakdown. Tonight my HP will not output video. It sounds like it is not even booting. Has two beeps, then one long beep. That must be the BIOS code for "broken".

If it's the video card, is there (a new) one that will fit in here, and will record 2 digital channels at once?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg setup01.jpg (230.5 KB, 2 views)

Comment on my DIY livingroom HT buildup
- Amazing DJ
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page