HP z555 Upgrade Project - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

Old 12-15-2015, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So... more retrofitting is needed.

It turns out that HP did something non-standard with their PCI slot to support the three card riser.

I couldn't get the riser to work so I pulled the MB chassis out and left the MB, plugged in two tuners to the two PCI slots I have and they are recognized immediately.

I found a PCI riser card on ebay that provides three PCI slots but looks like it would mount to the HP z556 riser bracket with modifications and it's only $6.95.

Another option that I'm thinking about is just getting PCI relocation cables and running them individually so I could change the riser card configuration. For instance, I could setup a PCI-express slot on the riser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2015, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alpha- View Post
Are you sure about that? I have seen others saying it runs and Windows 10 itself reports no hardware issues in its check prior to upgrade. I didn't have any issues upgrading my older Z556s to Windows 10.....would be pretty odd that the newer, faster, dual core processor wasn't supported, but the older one was. Any specific reason why the Pentium D 945 would be left out?

I have not been able to get Windows 10 to install on the system though - even if 8.1 runs fine. It's frustrating to be sure.
You and them probably installed the beta version preview that did not require architecture. I have tried installing it from windows, from download and from cdrom and it says the same thing each time that a certain archetecture is missing in that specific cpu and does not fit requirements. Maybe the older model cpu,s did have that architecture. Wouldnt be the first time HP cut corners.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazardsneon View Post
So... more retrofitting is needed.

It turns out that HP did something non-standard with their PCI slot to support the three card riser.

I couldn't get the riser to work so I pulled the MB chassis out and left the MB, plugged in two tuners to the two PCI slots I have and they are recognized immediately.

I found a PCI riser card on ebay that provides three PCI slots but looks like it would mount to the HP z556 riser bracket with modifications and it's only $6.95.

Another option that I'm thinking about is just getting PCI relocation cables and running them individually so I could change the riser card configuration. For instance, I could setup a PCI-express slot on the riser.
At $6.95 is it done yet.
Hazardsneon likes this.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshad132 View Post
Hi all, New to the forum but not to the DEC. Have a Z555 and a Z558 both of which I did clean installs of Windows 7 on as I thought i would never use most of the unique features of these machines again. I recently found some video tapes i would like to import and store digitally but as I am sure most of you realize the drivers for these devices as well as the software did not transfer with the clean Win 7 install. I did copy the hard drive of one machine before OS upgrade so I have the files. What I would like is recovery discs to restore back to factory then have both XP and Win 7 OS on the drive. Does anyone know where I can get restore discs or download? Or does anyone have a better solution that isn't too time consuming to get use of the analog import back in use. I doubt I will use it again after I get these tapes done. By the way does anyone need 2 blanks VHS tapes? HAHA. LOve the thread, had wrote these machines off due to the power supply issue but just got them both back up with the Seagate supplies.
There is a Hauppage download that you can get that will work with the original cards on windows 7. If I remember correctly it was called wintv 6. I have it downloaded on a drive somewhere google it and you shall find. At one point I had win 7 with all the old stuff even the front display using vista drivers. It took a little doing to figure it out. I even made my own hdtv antenna had everything connected to cable and free to air satellite system. Hard drive went so until I need the other stuff I will just use it for internet tv.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:07 AM

As a matter of fact the riser card was on its way.

I was just debating if I want to design a custom riser card system for flexibility in the future. Right now I have three PCI tuner cards and until those die and I can't find PCI tuners that work with win7 64bit, the 3 slot PCI riser will work fine.

I only have two PCI ports so I will need to get a PCI-E to PCI adapter to make use of all of the riser slots but at least I will get my two main tuners back up and working.

Last edited by Hazardsneon; 12-17-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnmiles View Post
You and them probably installed the beta version preview that did not require architecture. I have tried installing it from windows, from download and from cdrom and it says the same thing each time that a certain archetecture is missing in that specific cpu and does not fit requirements. Maybe the older model cpu,s did have that architecture. Wouldnt be the first time HP cut corners.
I did not install it on my Digital Entertainment systems until the full version was released (these are still important machines in my home media/entertainment set up).

I think I might know what you are talking about now though - you cannot install the 64 bit version of Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 on these systems. There are missing CPU architecture components for that. I am trying to install the 32 bit version. 8.1 installed perfectly fine. Windows 10 completely hangs at the Windows Logo.

You may be right though - it could be that some corners were cut with the newer CPU and that is what is stopping it from working. I am just not seeing any evidence of that in the logs, in the compatibility tool, etc.

If so, is there another CPU the board can support that will work?
Old 12-17-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alpha- View Post
I did not install it on my Digital Entertainment systems until the full version was released (these are still important machines in my home media/entertainment set up).

I think I might know what you are talking about now though - you cannot install the 64 bit version of Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 on these systems. There are missing CPU architecture components for that. I am trying to install the 32 bit version. 8.1 installed perfectly fine. Windows 10 completely hangs at the Windows Logo.

You may be right though - it could be that some corners were cut with the newer CPU and that is what is stopping it from working. I am just not seeing any evidence of that in the logs, in the compatibility tool, etc.

If so, is there another CPU the board can support that will work?
If I remember correctly the cpu,s are soldered on. But now I remember that I had a problem with some previous software. Win 10 will install the 32 bit version but not the 64. That particular processor is 64 bit compatible but does not have the em64t or the vt-x required architecture. You can use cpu-z software to figure out the architecture on your cpu. It does have the sse-2 required architecture. Use it and look at earlier machines to see if there is a difference. I do have a 556 but its buried somewhere. I would rather have 64 bit win 7 than 32 bit win 10 or a 32bit win 8. Downgrade to 32bit threading is going to make performance similar so there is no benny. Win 10 will start up quicker and the new directx performance is incredible but I am not gaming so average software will perform the same. Video performance will be the same.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
As a matter of fact the riser card was on its way.

I was just debating if I want to design a custom riser card system for flexibility in the future. Right now I have three PCI tuner cards and until those die and I can't find PCI tuners that work with win7 64bit, the 3 slot PCI riser will work fine.

I only have two PCI ports so I will need to get a PCI-E to PCI adapter to make use of all of the riser slots but at least I will get my two main tuners back up and working.
What are you doing with the front display? figure out anything?
Old 12-17-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
What are you doing with the front display? figure out anything?
I have an installer that makes the display work. I don't remember where I found it but I ran it on my 64-bit win7 and it works so far. It might be a little buggy as it was on the 32-bit win7 that I previously was running but it is better than the scrolling message.

I don't know of a great place to host the file for sharing or I could just email it to you or something.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:46 PM

Host it on mediafire, or Mega they have free account. Does it have a name I will google it?
Old 12-17-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I have an installer that makes the display work. I don't remember where I found it but I ran it on my 64-bit win7 and it works so far. It might be a little buggy as it was on the 32-bit win7 that I previously was running but it is better than the scrolling message.

I don't know of a great place to host the file for sharing or I could just email it to you or something.
Does it have a name? Sorry for double post.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Host it on mediafire, or Mega they have free account. Does it have a name I will google it?
So I just created a MediaFire account and put it on there:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/279...DisplayService

It is called Front Panel Display Service. When it installs it will be called Front Panel Display Service Fall 2005, if I remember correctly. I would quote that but my z556 is shut down currently waiting for the new PCI riser.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep at it guys. I scavenged my z555 a few years ago. It was my first HTPC to get high definition programming OTA. Great little machine.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:19 PM

So I finally have my HP DEC back up and running!

The new riser card works perfect. I needed to bend some metal and drill some holes to mount the riser to the mount but it is in. However, I only had one more PCI slot so I only have 2 of my 3 tuners connected. I might, eventually buy a PCIe to PCI adapter because I have a spare PCIe X1 port but I am happy just having it running again.

I've had the images and files hosted online for a little while but I'm finally getting to the post.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any fitment issues. I am providing these just for a guide that got me pretty close.

Here is a pdf that you can print that shows where I cut my back panel. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NO SCALING.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/17fg8e...nel_cutout.pdf

Here is a DWG for CAD folk. I actually made it in a PCB design program and exported a DWG.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ds...back_panel.DWG

I had aspirations of buying some thin black plastic sheet to cover over the holes above the I/O panel but I am going to forgo that for now as well.

Finally!!! Now I can work on getting some more memory and a faster processor.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:27 PM

Sooooo.... I was able to get the Keyboard and Media Display to work previously but that was when I had a 32-bit win7 OS. Now that I have a 64-bit win7 OS, some of the finer features don't work.

The wireless keyboard still works but the top row of Media Center buttons don't work and I can't get any drivers to install to make them work.

Same with the Media Display. It displays somethings properly, such as it shows "shutting down" when shutting down. However, it doesn't update the time on the display when asleep and it doesn't show the current channel when using the tuner

The remote still works as far as I can tell. I don't recall using all of the features yet but most buttons work at least.

I'm hoping I can dig deep into the recesses the net to find a way to get them to work properly.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:08 AM

Ok, so after some searching about getting the keyboard to work, I have found some ways to make other things work.

First, I would not recommend the Front Panel Display Service that I posted a link to. Last night I downloaded the vista installer from HP for the z565 and followed instructions from an HP forum.

-Unpackage the installer with 7-zip into a folder
-Go to the src or source folder
-Run the installer in vista compatibility mode as admin
Then BOOM! It seems like my media display is working properly

I forgot that the display isn't supposed to show the time when asleep. Now when the machine goes to sleep, it tells me it is going to sleep and it doesn't show the time anymore. I haven't used the tuner yet to see if it shows program info but I'm going to guess it will.

I am going to repeat these steps for the keyboard and remote using z565 vista drivers and it should work fine.
Old Today, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Picked up a nice Z558 off eBay a few weeks back, and I've been working on setting it up for my father. My dad's been a Dish Network subscriber for 15 years, but he's sick of paying $75 a month for watching not much more than OTA programming. So we're going to get him to cut the cable.

My Z558 had only seen about 15 hours of use when I got it, so it was nearly new. Bonus. The power supply should hold on for a while, especially if my Dad puts it to sleep a lot.

I upgraded the video card to a GT430 right away.

Also picked up a Hauppauge HVR 1600 PCI tuner card and I'm going to swap it in for the wireless. I'm going to keep the WinTV-PVR500 installed so I can continue to use the front inputs for capturing video / S-video from a camcorder.

Installed Win7 32bit Ultimate, and I've tweaked Win7 MC to be able to launch Netflix and Kodi TV right from the 10 foot interface. This machine should do just fine for my dad.

The seller even included the original Personal Media Drive (300GB) as well. Bonus. My dad will be able to rip his home movies to the drive and store them safely.

I really wish someone had taken the time to hack the front display service to work with Kodi TV. That would really make things look nice.

This is still my fav HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement