HP z555 Upgrade Project - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
post #1201 of 1204 Old 08-23-2016, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I miss using my Z565, still have it and it works perfectly but because of Bluray I no longer use it as a theatre PC. It sits in my rack and is never turned on but it sure is a neat computer. I tried to use it to play a HD DVD and a Blueray last year but it didn't work.
I recall Bigworm starting this thread and I followed and did most of what he told us to and it added so much to my theatre to have all the DVD's in my NAS drive. Originally it did play Blueray and HD-DVD but I don't know if any of this will work anymore. I tried on one of my laptops that has a built in Blueray player to play a Blueray disk but it wouldn't play a Bluray either.

Computer uses Vista.

Is anyone still able to play Blueray disks in a PC and if so with what software?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1204 Old 08-23-2016, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I haven't upgraded my optical drive yet because I don't even own blu-rays or HD DVD but I can see if I can help.

VLC media player might work to watch the discs. It seems like it can play any video type.

What OS are you running?
post #1203 of 1204 Unread Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Update time. Here is a video that goes through the update repair process,
The step that worked for me is going with this download link https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3138612 (option 2 in the video) and you must select either the 32 or 64 bit version to match your needs. After running the downloaded patch, the update process has worked flawlessly. Once all of the necessary patches were installed I re-ran the Media Center channel setup and I got video again on all channels.

Next, I found a riser card that has 3 slots, without cables that allowed me to use all three slots. On Ebay one can be found by searching with "PCI 301-B, 3-slot PCI Riser Card, Right Angle (New in Static bag)". There are a set of jumpers that you need to set but it doesn't take long to figure out. So now I have both tuner cards and the wireless card functioning properly. I tried to install a third tuner card but Media Center stated I could have a maximum of 2 tuners. If I missed something in the configuration let me know because I don't need the wireless and would really like the 3rd tuner card. BTW, if anyone is looking for one of these cards, pay close attention to the direction because you need a Right Angle card. I did purchase a 3 slot with cables but with my motherboard I can only use two slots so it'll be a good spare. Almost forgot, I have to make a couple of small adjustments to the riser card chassis but that won't be hard either.

I have 6 bad power supplies that I will start repairing later. Several let their magic smoke out and a couple lost one of the voltages. I have 1 good one left in a Z565 that I'm praying will last another week. I have ordered 2 "Replacement Power Supply for DPS-160QB HP Pavilion Slimline SFF P/N 5188-7520" that are rated at 350 watts for $24 each. They are smaller than the originals, will fit into the original position, but will need the long 8 pin harness added (there goes another hour). I think it will be enough power. I'll be adding wires and testing once they arrive in a few days. I'll take pictures and post the results later.

One last thing. There are PSU's available on Ebay for the Z5XX DEC's. These are old stock units and don't last long. I purchased 4 and was able to get replacements for 2 of them but they were very bothered by my second claim. The two replacements have since failed. It's very possible the capacitors are failing simply due to age.
post #1204 of 1204 Unread Today, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nice finds!

I've wondered is there was a different PSU that would fit in the original location. I will be placing one of those on my short list. Looking forward to seeing your work.

I like the riser card. I will be keeping my eye on that too. According to many people in a forum post, WMC in Windows 7 supports 4 analog tuners and 4 digital tuners. Since my current MOBO doesn't have 3 PCI slots, I've never actually had all three of my tuner cards hooked up. When I get a chance to switch to my new MOBO, I will let you know how it turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers