HP z555 Upgrade Project - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1129 Old 01-15-2008, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I almost hate to ask this, but it happened to me once:

Did you remember to plug in the fan after replacing your heat sink?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1129 Old 01-15-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBrass View Post

I almost hate to ask this, but it happened to me once:

Did you remember to plug in the fan after replacing your heat sink?

As much as I'm tempted to say "What fan" I will refrain from my usual antics and let you know that I never unplugged it and just set it aside until the new chip was in and then I put it back. I did feel quite a bit of heat from the top of the opening above the CPU while it was on and it felt like the fan was on.

Honestly the more I think about it I get the idea that I used too much of the artic silver and maybe the stuff will ooze out and be okay or maybe I should redo it, not sure.

Thanks,

John
post #183 of 1129 Old 01-15-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongig View Post

I did feel quite a bit of heat from the top of the opening above the CPU while it was on and it felt like the fan was on....

Is your fan blowing in the wrong direction? It should blow down, not up.
Quote:

Honestly the more I think about it I get the idea that I used too much of the artic silver and maybe the stuff will ooze out and be okay or maybe I should redo it, not sure.

Instructions here:

http://arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

It shows a very thin line of the stuff - much less than I thought it would need.

Good luck! I did a very similar upgrade scheme with my eMachines cheapo computer, and I have great HDTV from my ATSC tuner running BeyondTV. (LG BD/HD drive is on order right now.)
post #184 of 1129 Old 01-15-2008, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Makes me wonder if I used too much compound. I didn't go with Arctic Silver, I just got the CompUSA name brand el-cheapo package. I just kind of smeared it around on the bottom of the fan. Very thin layer, though, and kept it within the marks that the old chip had left on it. So far, no heat problems, but I'm not running as "hot" a chip as you are.

@ Bver50,

As near as I can tell, the z55x's had a single SATA port, and the z56x's had two. I think. There's a post somewhere, I'll try and dig it up. Think it was on thegreenbutton.com

BW
post #185 of 1129 Old 01-15-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm2005GT View Post

@ Bver50,

As near as I can tell, the z55x's had a single SATA port, and the z56x's had two. I think. There's a post somewhere, I'll try and dig it up. Think it was on thegreenbutton.com

BW

On my 560 I had one that wasn't used and is now used for the LG drive so I guess that makes just two for the 560.

John
post #186 of 1129 Old 01-15-2008, 03:44 PM

Can anyone provide any insight on opening the case of a z555. I removed the 4 screws on the back, and expected the case to slide off, but it did not budge. What am I missing. Any help greatly appreciated.
post #187 of 1129 Old 01-15-2008, 05:29 PM

The case slides back and then up from the back and off. Mine is also a bit hard to get moving but once it moves a little it's easy. Their is only 4 screws.
post #188 of 1129 Old 01-15-2008, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well, now that ArcSoft has released the English language version of their HD/BD player software, I thought I'd load it up and take it for a spin.

The Good News

Playback during Blu-ray's has a much lower CPU utilization than PowerDVD (20-30%).
Playback is smooth and stutter free in both Blu-ray and HD DVD.

The Bad News
CPU utilization is higher during HD DVD playback (60-70%, but still no stutter)

The Ugly News
This could fall into both camps, I guess. I through in RE:E to see if the Blu-ray profile 1.1 problem would affect this one like it did PowerDVD. Wonder of wonders, playback was silky smooth, not a trace of the horrible stutter from the profile 1.1 features. However... I can't turn off the @#$@#$ commentary! This is not the "standard" commentary soundtrack that most discs have these days. This is the audio track that goes along with the secondary commentary video track. I can hear the movie's primary soundtrack, but it's overlaid by the commentary track, get me? If I switch to the "standard" commentary track, then the secondary commentary stops. When I go back to the primary audio, the secondary commentary returns.

And the thing won't stop! I've tried every setting I can find!

*pant* *sob*

OK, rant over. It looks like they've really done this one good, but with one glaring bug. Let's see how long this one takes to fix.

BW
post #189 of 1129 Old 01-16-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:

The case slides back and then up from the back and off. Mine is also a bit hard to get moving but once it moves a little it's easy. Their is only 4 screws.

Thank you. I did get it off. Took more force then I was expecting.
post #190 of 1129 Old 01-16-2008, 06:36 AM

I have a stock z555. I watch mostly x264 encoded movies (720p) and most movies work fine. Some I notice at certain parts get into a sync problem between audio and video. The movies play fine on a C2D E6600. Overall CPU stays around 50-60% during playback. (The second core seems to be at 100% during times of sync problem, while first core is only at around 20-30%)

Last night I decided to increase the memory to 1gb, thinking it may help the problem, but it still remains.

Can anyone give me thoughts on this? My next thought would be to replace the video card with 8500GT. I'd rather not have to upgrade the processor.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
post #191 of 1129 Old 01-16-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Wow! You guys are still at it!

I haven't been stopping by avsforum lately because I've been playing with a couple of new, non-htpc toys. Sorry!

Someone asked about ati vs nvidia a couple of pages back. My recommendation is to avoid ati unless you enjoy pain and suffering! It is true that ati will accelerate all types of hd movies whereas nvidia only partially accelerates one format (I can never remember which), but it isn't worth it. Their drivers really suck! Dvd and ota hd playback was also much worse.

I tried both a 8500gt and a 8600gt as a replacement for the 2600xt. I settled on the 8600gt. CPU utilization is pretty much the same as the 8500gt. It was only a little more money, so I just bought the better one. Supposedly the 8600 will produce a better pic, but I didn't really see a difference. Now I don't have to second guess myself.

For the hdhomerun, just get one. It is great piece of hardware, and the support is second to none. Plus, if you want qam in mce 2005, it is the only solution. For ota, the tuners are much better then others I've played with.
post #192 of 1129 Old 01-16-2008, 09:12 PM

Yes we're still at it and it seems once you’ve opened the case once you now have to open it up daily. Nice thing about this computer is that you can get away with just the HDMI and the power cord and it’s connected again.

Here goes with my CPU upgrade problem. The computer with the D960 installed will not boot up with the power button and stalls just after the Blue HP setup screen. I never get an error message to say the boot up failed it just does. If I enter setup and right away go to save settings hit enter and out it boots with no problem every time. I had the cover off and even though there is a lot of heat I don’t think this is the problem. I put the old 925 3.0GHZ processor back in and the PC now boots up with no trouble.

Notes: The fan on the CPU blows upward and out of the case and I checked my pictures I had taken prior of everything to verify that I did not orient anything differently.

The new D960 has mostly the same markings as the D925 except it says “SL9AP”. The original D925 has these markings “SL9DP”. Any idea if these mean anything?

Is it possible that I exceeded the ratings for this PC in anyway?

Has anyone else actually used the D960 and had success?

Well if anyone has any ideas let me know because otherwise I’ll have to stick with the D925.

Thanks…..

John
post #193 of 1129 Old 01-17-2008, 03:58 AM

My apologies if you have already done this:

You need to get the manufacturer, model#, and serial# of your motherboard. You can do this in CPUID or by going into setup. Then you should Google it and get a list of compatible processors. Not just "D 960" but also the sSpec number. Make sure you are using a compatible processor. Also verify whether a particular BIOS version is needed for that processor.

For instance, my Intel motherboard could only go up to a D950 with a certain sSpec number (or any D945), and needed a BIOS update:

http://support.intel.com/support/mot.../CS-026580.htm

As you can see, in my case simply having the same family of processor would not be good enough. Your D960 (and some D950's) probably would not work on my motherboard. YMMV
post #194 of 1129 Old 01-17-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBrass View Post

My apologies if you have already done this:

You need to get the manufacturer, model#, and serial# of your motherboard. You can do this in CPUID or by going into setup. Then you should Google it and get a list of compatible processors. Not just "D 960" but also the sSpec number. Make sure you are using a compatible processor. Also verify whether a particular BIOS version is needed for that processor.

For instance, my Intel motherboard could only go up to a D950 with a certain sSpec number (or any D945), and needed a BIOS update:

http://support.intel.com/support/mot.../CS-026580.htm

As you can see, in my case simply having the same family of processor would not be good enough. Your D960 (and some D950's) probably would not work on my motherboard. YMMV

Gee wiz don't I feel a bit foolish. I guess I thought if it fits it ill work. Not al true as I did some research but obviously not enough. I don't really understand how and where I can find this information out and when I initially tried to find information about the MOBO in my 560 I didn't find much in the way of references.

Here is some information but if you have an idea to just point me I will gladly do the ork.

Northbridge Intel i945P rev. A1
Southbridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev. A1
Mainboard Model Malachite2 (0x3BA - 0x1E390570)
Chipset I945P

DMI BIOS
--------
vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
version 3.04
date 08/23/2006
DMI System Information
----------------------
manufacturer HP Pavilion 061
product RE500AA-ABA Z560
version 03l1314RE101MALA200

DMI Baseboard
-------------
vendor ASUSTek Computer INC.
model Malachite2
revision 2.01
serial MS1C6AS23100354

Thanks fr te help.

John
post #195 of 1129 Old 01-18-2008, 11:34 AM

@jongig: I'm not sure why you're having problems with the D960. I am using the D950 3.4ghz) and have not run into any issues with the processor so far. Do you still have time to return/exchange for a different processor? Maybe you can give the one I have a try and see if that works. I used a few droplets of arctic silver on the top of my new processor, and cleaned off the old arctic silver that was on the bottom of the cooling mechanism. not sure if that can make a difference.

Unfortunately, I've run into another issue, and I have no idea how to troubleshoot. I was watching a movie on my media center just last night with no issues. This morning, when I turned it on, it just kept resetting itself right after the blue HP screen would come up. I would see a little bit of jumpled text and after the blue HP screen, and then the system just kept resetting in an endless loop.

i had a similar issue when i used to have 4GB of RAM. after going down to 3GB, that resolved the issue. I already checked all the connections and nothing works. system keeps resetting.

i didn't make any changes from last night to this morning when I turned it on. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? This is very discouraging seeing as how everything was running smooth the last couple weeks.

Thanks
post #196 of 1129 Old 01-18-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.dave View Post

@jongig: I'm not sure why you're having problems with the D960. I am using the D950 3.4ghz) and have not run into any issues with the processor so far. Do you still have time to return/exchange for a different processor? Maybe you can give the one I have a try and see if that works. I used a few droplets of arctic silver on the top of my new processor, and cleaned off the old arctic silver that was on the bottom of the cooling mechanism. not sure if that can make a difference.

Unfortunately, I've run into another issue, and I have no idea how to troubleshoot. I was watching a movie on my media center just last night with no issues. This morning, when I turned it on, it just kept resetting itself right after the blue HP screen would come up. I would see a little bit of jumpled text and after the blue HP screen, and then the system just kept resetting in an endless loop.

i had a similar issue when i used to have 4GB of RAM. after going down to 3GB, that resolved the issue. I already checked all the connections and nothing works. system keeps resetting.

i didn't make any changes from last night to this morning when I turned it on. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? This is very discouraging seeing as how everything was running smooth the last couple weeks.

Thanks

UPDATE - so after trying a bunch of different things, I decided to use the Vista Ultimate disc to do a system repair. i went into the system restore point and found that there was a Windows update installed last night on my system. BOY AM I PISSED. luckily my system had a restore point from the day before the update. i restored the system to that time and Vista loaded up with no problem.

I am turning off all Windows Updates going forward. Seeing as how I use this machine ONLY for the media center and watching BluRay/HD-DVD movies, I have no need for the stupid Windows Updates. I tried to keep this post clean, as I had tons of curse words flying through my head when I found the problem.
post #197 of 1129 Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 PM

Yikes, sorry can't really help except to say try to boot from yor restore CD.

Why did you go with the D950 instead of the D945 since they are both 3.4Ghz processors?

The difference between the two is that the 950 has "± Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel® VT)" and the 945 does not. Also after the D945 the TDP jumps from 95 watts to 130 watts for both the 950 and the 960. I am still wondering if this has anything to do with the problem. I realize the 95 and 130 represent heat but the CPU would draw more power in order to generate the heat and it seems plausible that something can't handle the power draw. It just seems odd to me that if I bootup using my pause method that the system runs perfectly stable and without any problems.

Any reason to have the VT?

I will probably put my 960 chip on ebay and try to pick up a D945 since we know they work. I can't find any information about our P5LP-LR motherboard and I can't find any way of determining what chip will work in the PC.

John
post #198 of 1129 Old 01-18-2008, 12:59 PM

@jongig

No worries. I did a system restore to a point two days ago, and my system is up and running with no issues.

At the time i wanted to purchase a new processor, I don't think newegg had the 945 in stock, so I bought the 950. But Intel actually lowered their power consumption on the D950's to 95W from 130W. Here is an article with a link

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...320223401.html
post #199 of 1129 Old 01-18-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Wow... Lots of issues here! It could be the voltage difference, you're talking a 40% or more jump in voltage requirements. And, given some of the other posts here, these mobo's are very finicky with regards to what you can and can't use on them.

Could very well be the problem, but I'm not familiar enough with the z560's to speak on this one.

BW
post #200 of 1129 Old 01-19-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:

...I will probably put my 960 chip on ebay and try to pick up a D945 since we know they work. I can't find any information about our P5LP-LR motherboard and I can't find any way of determining what chip will work in the PC...

Before you lay out any more money, you need to start focusing intently on the sSpec number of your chips. For instance, the D960 has at least 2 different sSpec versions:

The version you have - SL9AP/130W http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sspec=sl9ap

A lower-power version - SL9K7/95W http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sspec=sl9k7

Since you can't find any motherboard information, you need to read the sSpec number off your chip (which will probably require removing it and cleaning off the thermal paste to read the inscription). Then search for that sSpec on the Intel website. It looks like the D925 chip has been sold with two different sSpec numbers - SL9KA and SL9D9. They both are 95W versions. The only difference I can see is the Core Stepping spec, and a slight difference in max. allowable voltage.

To upgrade this processor without motherboard information, you need to pick an sSpec that is as close as possible to your current one. I do not know how important the Core Stepping spec is, so I cannot tell you whether that needs to be the same. I suspect there is a page or whitepaper somewhere on Intel's website that would explain this.

In the case of the D945, it does look like it has only been made under one sSpec number, so if others have made the D945 work with your motherboard, hopefully they all would work. Based on this, it also looks like my D950 (SL95V) might work for you. But there are no guarantees. Based on these specs, you would think the D960/SL9K7 would work on my motherboard, but the link I posted previously makes it clear that nothing above D950/SL95V will work with my motherboard.

Please note that I do not have an HP z5xx computer, so none of this is based on any experience with your motherboard.
post #201 of 1129 Old 01-19-2008, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the information and the links because as much searching as I did on Intels site I never found a second D960. My D925 is a spec number SL9D9. I did find some information regardinge the core stepping and it seems like information relating to the version of the chip. In C1 for instance they made the chip able to change it's own clock speed relating to what it's doing. Some chips didn't go this far and were stopped at B1. The D960 was the last of the D series chips and was the most advanced.

This is very interesting and it's just too bad I can't find information about our motherboard so as to solve the problem. If I could get a D960 to work right in the system it would be quite nice but I won't search and buy another chip with at least some certainity that it will work.

@a.dave, which D950 did you put in your system, the spec number and or the core stepping number?

One thing I picked up was a voltage difference between the chip I purchased and the chip I replaced. The VID for the old chip was 1.225-1.325 and the D960 was 1.3. The other chips including one other D960 are 1.225-1.325. Again not sure if there is much meaning here but this is a difference.

John
post #202 of 1129 Old 01-19-2008, 12:02 PM

I asked this over at the Green Button, but I thought I'd ask it hear too. It's a little off topic, so please forgive. Here's my question:

I'm curious for input from zXXX users out there who have their zXXX series DEC connected to their stereo/amplifier via Optical/Coax digital cable (i.e. you're using a seperate stereo to decode digital audio). For those that have their machines set up that way, what happens when you press the "Mute" button on your remote. Does the sound get muted? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Justin
post #203 of 1129 Old 01-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Well, I took the plunge and put the BD/HD-DVD drive, 512k more memory, and the MSI 8500 card in my z555. Blu-ray plays great (Pirates Black Pearl) at about 40-50% CPU utilization, but the VC1-encoded Bourne Supremacy HD-DVD maxes out the stock CPU and stutters. For those who've upgraded the CPU, have you tried playing Bourne Supremacy and if so, how did it play?

BigWorm, many thanks for getting this train started. If you get a chance, I'd love to have your .reg file.

Cheers,

Mike
post #204 of 1129 Old 01-20-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the information and the links because as much searching as I did on Intels site I never found a second D960. My D925 is a spec number SL9D9. I did find some information regardinge the core stepping and it seems like information relating to the version of the chip. In C1 for instance they made the chip able to change it's own clock speed relating to what it's doing. Some chips didn't go this far and were stopped at B1. The D960 was the last of the D series chips and was the most advanced.

This is very interesting and it's just too bad I can't find information about our motherboard so as to solve the problem. If I could get a D960 to work right in the system it would be quite nice but I won't search and buy another chip with at least some certainity that it will work.

@a.dave, which D950 did you put in your system, the spec number and or the core stepping number?

One thing I picked up was a voltage difference between the chip I purchased and the chip I replaced. The VID for the old chip was 1.225-1.325 and the D960 was 1.3. The other chips including one other D960 are 1.225-1.325. Again not sure if there is much meaning here but this is a difference.

John

In an attempt to be helpful I did some research on this issue. You are correct that there is little to no information about the specific motherboard that your system uses, and the Asus website is no help. While trying to tackle it a different way (i.e., from the processor and chipset sides), I found some interesting tidbits on Intel's website.

Pentium D 775 land based processors use something Intel calls a "Platform Compatibility Guide" (PCG) which is designed to help systems integrators select the proper type of motherboard to work with the specific Pentium D CPU. The PCG code can be found in the "s-Spec" for the particular processor and is either 05A or 05B. According to information on Intel's website, motherboards designed to support 05B processors "...are backwards compatible with 05A processors. Motherboards that only support processors with the PCG 05A will not support PCG 05B processors. These motherboards have been designed to provide customers with a lower cost platform."

Your Pentium D560 (sSpec SL9AP) has a PCG code of 05B. The D925, D945, and one version of the D950 all have a PCG code of 05A. These processors, based on other posts, apparently work with their respective motherboards. This probably means that your particular mobo does not support an Intel processor with the PCG 05B specification. (Note: It will be interesting to see a.dave's answer to your question about what sSpec his D950 has. I suspect it is the SL9K8, which has a PCG of 05A.) There is a D960 with a PCG of 05A. It carries the sSpec Number SL9K7 and MIGHT work with your motherboard.

The link to the above information is here: "http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/216411.htm#Table_2"

I'm not ENTIRELY sure the above has relevance to your situation. Just trying to help. Perhaps others with more skill at this than I have can provide some kind of workaround.

B
post #205 of 1129 Old 01-20-2008, 06:33 PM

Thanks Bver50 for the information. Again more information from the Intel site that I didn't come accross. I am willing to try it again based on the information you provided. I can't seem to find the chip for sale anyway but I'll keep looking.

Thanks,

John
post #206 of 1129 Old 01-21-2008, 10:20 AM

Are any of you using your machine to record HD from and Over the Air source? I decided to hook mine up to an antenna today, and i was getting some stuttering. Hooking the same source up to my Directv box, no stuttering. I'm just wondering how your experiences were with the box. Watching HD, the CPU seems to sit at around 33 - 36 % utlization. Would the video card you guys are using help any?

Thanks,

David
post #207 of 1129 Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgr131 View Post

Are any of you using your machine to record HD from and Over the Air source? I decided to hook mine up to an antenna today, and i was getting some stuttering. Hooking the same source up to my Directv box, no stuttering. I'm just wondering how your experiences were with the box. Watching HD, the CPU seems to sit at around 33 - 36 % utlization. Would the video card you guys are using help any?

Thanks,

David

tgr131,

I have been using my Z555 stock for about 2.5 years now and it has worked excellent for recording and watching OTA HD (both 1080i and 720p). I don't even have premium content cable for this reason. The OTA HD channels are the most watched in my house. The stock 6600 Video Card support DXVA for deinterlacing MPEG-2 and stays very cool with the fans reversed. I actually noticed increased processor usage with the new 8500GT while watching OTA HD.

AmigoDeMD
post #208 of 1129 Old 01-21-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkellyvich View Post

Well, I took the plunge and put the BD/HD-DVD drive, 512k more memory, and the MSI 8500 card in my z555. Blu-ray plays great (Pirates Black Pearl) at about 40-50% CPU utilization, but the VC1-encoded Bourne Supremacy HD-DVD maxes out the stock CPU and stutters. For those who've upgraded the CPU, have you tried playing Bourne Supremacy and if so, how did it play?

BigWorm, many thanks for getting this train started. If you get a chance, I'd love to have your .reg file.

Cheers,

Mike

Mkellyvich

I am waiting for my new Pentium 650 processor to come in. Using the stock 530J I get stuttering and high CPU usage with the 8500GT when trying to watch anything VC-1 encoded as well. It choked bad on Bourne Ultimatum and The Kingdom. The card really only accelerated h.264 so I am hoping that the upgraded processor works and stays cool. I'm also looking at a whole new HTPC for the main Blue Ray box. I just can't see having a hot and noisy blue ray player.

AmigoDeMD
post #209 of 1129 Old 01-21-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigodemd View Post

Mkellyvich

I am waiting for my new Pentium 650 processor to come in. Using the stock 530J I get stuttering and high CPU usage with the 8500GT when trying to watch anything VC-1 encoded as well. It choked bad on Bourne Ultimatum and The Kingdom. The card really only accelerated h.264 so I am hoping that the upgraded processor works and stays cool. I'm also looking at a whole new HTPC for the main Blue Ray box. I just can't see having a hot and noisy blue ray player.

Can the following generalization be made?
- BluRay - No problem with playback of any BluRay disc
- HD-DVD - Potential playback problem with VC-1 encoded material. No playback problem with H.264 encoded material.

And of course I'm assuming that the Z55x was upgraded to a Nvidia 8500GT based graphics card and the processor is the stock processor found in the Z55x.

Where does one find out if a particular HD-DVD is encoded using H.264 versus VC1?
Are there any alternative half height NVidia 8500GT (with HDCP support and HDMI outpu) other than the MSI NX8500GT-MTD256EH or the NX8600GT-MTD256E board?
post #210 of 1129 Old 01-21-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

@ Growler13,

V for Vendetta: VC-1 encoded. Plays perfectly on my setup, no stutter. ~40% CPU utilization (watching it right now )

EDIT: Serenity, also VC-1, plays perfectly as well.

Pentium 4 650 (3.4GHz, 2MB L2 cache)
MSI 8500GT
1GB RAM (1x512MB + 2x256MB)

Those two are the only half-height 8500/8600 nVidia cards I know of.

BW
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page