Software that edits cursing from movies on HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if there is software out there for the HTPC to edit cursing from movies. Like the TVGuardian does for TV and DVDs.

Thanks.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Sorry, no bleeping idea.
post #3 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

H_ll no. There ain't no bullsh_t software to take the mutha f_ckin curse words out of no god d_mn movies.

Mod's edit: No, but there are moderators watching this board. You just earned yourself a 7 day ban...The next offense will be permanent.
post #4 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if I would want them edited myself. I can't imagine the terminator saying, "Fudge you excrement hole" I don't think it would have the same effect

I do know what you mean though. I sometimes feel kind of weird listening to music and alot of bad words are used. Must be all the soap my mom put in my mouth as a kid when I used them.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #5 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Funny.

Seriously there are GOOD PG13 movies that have ton of swears in them and i want my kids to watch some of them.
post #6 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
what kind of swears are you referring to?
post #7 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Far be it from us to tell you how to raise kids, but the following is my opinion. My school playgrounds taught me all the swear words from a very young age. The adults in my life (teachers etc.) taught me that using these words was undesirable to say the least. We kids swore in the playground when emotions ran high but we didn't do so in front of adults.
When swearing in movies was edited out, it was easy to imagine or guess what was really being said and it was insulting to me; my swearing vocabulary was wide enough that I probably put in worse words than those that were being blanked out. I feel it's far better for children to understand that swearing in movies is done when the characters are in stressful situations, are of limited vocabulary or are simply the bad guys. Now, all of this requires intelligent, receptive children of a certain age or above of course.

Bottom line: either the kids are too young to watch the movies you have in mind, or they're old enough to learn the difference between right and wrong and the shades in between.

I can't stress enough that I realise this is just my opinion and I am in no way trying to ram this down your throat. I also acknowledge that I don't have kids yet, so I may be living in some idealistic fantasy world of my own making when it come to dealing with my (as-yet) hypothetical children. Sorry I can't help specifically with your question.
post #8 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 AM

Frankly my dear, I don't give a dog gone it.
post #9 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 10:15 AM

There was a program from Clearplay.com would do this on a pc, but I can't find any reference to it on their site. They apparently have switched to a dvd player model. If you sign up for a two year subscription you can get a free dvd player. You also may want to email them to see if the dvd program is still availble.
post #10 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

There used to be a netflix type company called clean flims. They rented and sold edited movies. When I wa in Hawaii 2 years ago I saw a video store in the mormon part of the island that rented edited movies. You might be able to find them online.

I remember when DVDs were first introduced one of their features was the ability to choose the rating you want to view, and the DVD player could effectivly edit the movie. Too bad the studios didn't get behind that.

There are many good movies for kids to see, but kids tend to mimic what they see and hear on the screen. It's a shame that you have to throw out the whole movie because some unskilled writer couldn't figure out how to communicate an idea without using curse words.

My new favorite movie is Idiocracy. It's loaded with curse words, but that is because the premis of the film is that society has become so dumbed down the language has become nothing but grunts and swear words. It's a must see comedy for adults that will scare the crap out you!

~Jay
post #11 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
"There's a knob on the TV marked BRIGHTNESS but that don't work does it?" Galleger
post #12 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 View Post

"There's a knob on the TV marked BRIGHTNESS but that don't work does it?" Galleger

I love that bit. I first saw that video maybe 20 years ago and I still borrow that line form time to time.

~Jay
post #13 of 41 Old 12-15-2007, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help seems that clearplay, trilogy studios and eyedecide all made PC software, and they do not anymore.
post #14 of 41 Old 12-15-2007, 10:41 AM

Yes, I don't think there really is an easy way to do it at this point. You could always rip the disc and edit it if you are so inclined and have the technical know-how, but that would be a very time consuming solution.

Personally I agree with a previous response. I learned the very worst words before I made it out of the 1st grade through public school alone. So unless your children are home schooled or aren't already in school, I think it's safe to assume they already have heard the worst of the worst.

Now not being a parent but having had a good one myself, I can tell you that some parental guidance can go a long way. You might just have a conversation with your kids to let them know that using any of the foul language they may hear in the movies is not okay and is a punishable offense.
post #15 of 41 Old 12-15-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

I was wondering if there is software out there for the HTPC to edit cursing from movies. Like the TVGuardian does for TV and DVDs.

Swearing would be the least of my concerns, if you are letting your kids watch the movies with swearing the adult content and/violence also in those movies have 10x the effects swearing would have.

Again, NO ONE is parenting here but I find it ironic you want to stop the swearing but still let your childern watch the content.

BTW, BUY DISNEY MOVIES IF YOU CARE SO MUCH!!!!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #16 of 41 Old 12-15-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxtrom View Post

Thanks.

Rob

I know there is a software project that provides this for the Linux operating system but I can't think of the name right now. A couple of my Mormon friends use it alot. Its basically a filter type system that take an xml file as input. The xml file tells the player when to mute or when to skip a section in case of nudity. The xml files are community provided.

You may also want to look at clearplay which is not providing stand alone players that will do this.

As a contract software programmer, I wrote the software for a rental company that provided pre-editied dvds (www.cleanflicks.com). Unfortunately they were sued by the movie companies and had to stop editing movies for people. They currently provide a netflix type service but only provides clean movies.

At this point, I would suggest googling around for the linux software that does what you need or sign up for clearplay.

good luck.

Follw.IT HTPC Social Integration
http://www.follw.it
post #17 of 41 Old 12-15-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
There are many good movies for kids to see, but kids tend to mimic what they see and hear on the screen. It's a shame that you have to throw out the whole movie because some unskilled writer couldn't figure out how to communicate an idea without using curse words.

If the writer is so unskilled then how can the movie be good?
post #18 of 41 Old 12-15-2007, 01:46 PM

I don't see what the big deal is about these words that are labeled "swear words." They're just vibrations. Or well, vibrations that have meaning, but still, I don't see how hearing these vibrations come out of TV speakers can harm someone, regardless of the person's age.
I realize some people are shocked to hear certain vibrations, but really, I don't see why that is. Sorta silly when you actually think about it.
post #19 of 41 Old 12-15-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph3 View Post

I don't see what the big deal is about these words that are labeled "swear words." They're just vibrations. Or well, vibrations that have meaning, but still, I don't see how hearing these vibrations come out of TV speakers can harm someone, regardless of the person's age.
I realize some people are shocked to hear certain vibrations, but really, I don't see why that is. Sorta silly when you actually think about it.

I'm not sure everyone will agree with the arrangement of the above pixels.
post #20 of 41 Old 12-15-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

I'm not sure everyone will agree with the arrangement of the above pixels.

That was good!
post #21 of 41 Old 12-15-2007, 08:18 PM

I would love something like this as well. Too bad about clearplay. I too agree that there are a few movies out there that I would like to share with my kids but the small amount of cursing in these particular movies will unfortunately have to wait until I feel they reach an age that I am comfortable with as their parent.
post #22 of 41 Old 12-16-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph3 View Post

That opinion all changes when you are sitting around at a family gathering and one of your kids drops the F bomb....

Seriously, all other's opinions aside as to what is or isn't acceptable, there are movies out there that are completely ok for kids of certain ages, if you eliminate the swear words. I fondly remember watching "Ghostbusters" when I was a kid. The whole ghost thing was a little scary as a kid, but I probably watched the edited version many many times. I would have never been allowed to see it if they didn't air the edited version on TV.

-Suntan
post #23 of 41 Old 12-16-2007, 08:04 AM

Sorry - I don't have any solutions for this, and to be honest I wouldn't use it if it existed because I don't have children.

I do want to chime in though, and tell all these people to back off! The man asked a simple question. He wasn't attempting to open a forum for you to voice your opinions about censorship, or the 'proper' way to raise a child. Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean you should be expressing it here.
post #24 of 41 Old 12-16-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It looks like Clearplay is still around and if it were me that player/service would be a no-brainer for my kids.

The process of ripping-and-editing a DVD, and re-burning, would involve a lot; hard to imagine the effort could be perfect and "worth it" from a time point-of-view. I'm thinking you'd have to extract the subtitle track, then scan that track for the words you'd deem unworthy, then either edit-out the offensive scenes (not TOO difficult) or try to edit the soundtrack-only, and honestly I don't even know how to do that--I suppose I'd use an audiolab-type program to pull the sound-level down at the offending spots.

Hollywood used to shoot movies w/two versions of scenes, one for theater/R-rating (which is proven to draw more $$) and another for TV. I recall seeing a TV version of "Saturday Night Fever" with different dialog (it actually was a much nicer movie!).
post #25 of 41 Old 12-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Who said it was for the kids? What about the grandparents?

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
Goldeneye
post #26 of 41 Old 12-16-2007, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I am a parent with two teenagers, both of whom know all of the words but are smart enough not to use them around me or in groups that don't appreciate them.

The OP asked a question, not sure if we ever got the answer, but it was a reasonable one.

I personally don't GAS what my kids hear at this point (15 and 13) but I did when they were younger, so knowing the answer would help others.

Cheers,
Bill
post #27 of 41 Old 12-16-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ddyG View Post

Sorry - I don't have any solutions for this, and to be honest I wouldn't use it if it existed because I don't have children.

I do want to chime in though, and tell all these people to back off! The man asked a simple question. He wasn't attempting to open a forum for you to voice your opinions about censorship, or the 'proper' way to raise a child. Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean you should be expressing it here.

Thank you for your opinion.
post #28 of 41 Old 12-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ddyG View Post

But the result was 100% predictable.
post #29 of 41 Old 12-16-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

That opinion all changes when you are sitting around at a family gathering and one of your kids drops the F bomb....
-Suntan

Oh yeah, I get what you're saying. Some people do cringe in shock and horror when they hear certain words. And if the words come from a kid, people somtimes think it reflects poorly on the child, or the parent(s). But I guess the point I was trying to make is, why should that be? Society has artificially placed stigmas on certain vibrations. What if the vibrations that make up the s-word in the English language actually represented a shoe? Granted, they don't. But again, I'm just sayin, it seems silly to have placed these artificial stigmas on certain words, so that when they're heard coming from someone, especially someone under a certain age, or in the presence of someone under a certain age, some people think it's just horrible. All I'm sayin is, it's just vibrations. I wish there was a way to get society in general to lighten up. There's not of course, but I wish there was.

So I do realize of course that one reason why parents want to limit their childrens' exposure to certain words is that they feel there's then less risk that the kid will repeat those words in the presence of other adults, who then may in some way look down on the kid, or the parent. But if we didn't have these silly stigmas against certain vibrations, it wouldn't be an issue.

Another thing that I realize... my views are often in the minority. lol
post #30 of 41 Old 12-16-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post

There was a program from Clearplay.com would do this on a pc, but I can't find any reference to it on their site. They apparently have switched to a dvd player model. If you sign up for a two year subscription you can get a free dvd player. You also may want to email them to see if the dvd program is still availble.

How much dialogue would be left in Pulp Fiction?

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page