PCI-e or not PCI-e, that is the question! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dont have a recent pc but would like to take advantage of watching Blueray/HD-DVD/x264 files on my Samsung LCD.

Here is my set up.

3400+ AMD Semperon
K8N AGP motherboard (no PCI-e)
2 gig ram
Samsung 42" 1080i HD ready LCD.
Windows XP Professional

My current graphics card wont do the trick so i have been reading up on the AGP version of the Sapphire 2600XT.

Could I buy and install this card, and run a DVI-HDMI cable from the card to my LCD to get HD movies in either 720p or 1080i resolution?

The card should be HDCP compliant, but i am not sure if the AGP version can be used for HD like the PCI-e version that everyone seems to be buying.

I know i would also need blueray/HD-DVD drive/s to play movies from disc but no point thinking about that until i know my computer would be up to the task without me having to invest in a motherboard with a PCI-e slot.

Please help a newbie who has only been reading up on this for the last 3-4 days, thanks for any help you guys can offer me.

(also on a side note... would an s-video-HDMI link work as well as DVI-HDMI link. What are the differences??)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 01:35 PM

If the card is hdcp compliant, then it should be able to pump out HD at 720p or 1080i over hdmi with no problem. I can't say i even knew they made an agp version of the 2x00 series radeons though... You also might want to investigate whether your cpu is fast enough for bluray or hd-dvd. If you go to the powerdvd system requirements page, that processor falls below the minimum required specs.

If it turns out you need a new cpu as well, weigh out the option of finally biting the bullet and going with a more modern pci-e based setup. you can get a c2d setup or an AM2+ setup pretty cheaply.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
@ Paulygavin,

No such thing as an S-Video -> HDMI link. The two are completely different graphics standards.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys,

I have ordered the Sapphire 2600XT AGP version.

For now I will be happy to run 264 and mkv files at 720p or 1080i as i can still watch my HD-DVDs through my X-Box 360 player.

If there are problems then I will have to bite the bullet i guess. I just know what i am like... I will end up blowing a fortune on a big HTPC set up.... 'in for a penny' and all that.

So i was hoping to get something set up at minimum cost (i.e just the graphics card and my book 2 hard drive for now)
post #5 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botero View Post

If the card is hdcp compliant, then it should be able to pump out HD at 720p or 1080i over hdmi with no problem. I can't say i even knew they made an agp version of the 2x00 series radeons though... You also might want to investigate whether your cpu is fast enough for bluray or hd-dvd. If you go to the powerdvd system requirements page, that processor falls below the minimum required specs.

If it turns out you need a new cpu as well, weigh out the option of finally biting the bullet and going with a more modern pci-e based setup. you can get a c2d setup or an AM2+ setup pretty cheaply.

There's a whole thread about 100+ pages, how can you NOT know if they make an AGP version of the HD2xxxx cards when I have ONE and its dual DVI, HDCP compliant????

I could say RTFF because I have, but I'll spare you both.

The AGP versions do not currently support Hardware Acceleration, which would make HD-DVD playback via Power DVD IMPOSSIBLE on a 3-4 year old single core CPU.

I should know, I have a almost 4 year old Dell 4550 which now has a Geforce 7600GS in it. Come to find out none of the PureVideo decoders but the newest HD version support HD playback on Vista systems. If I didn't have any problems installing MCE 2005 for the 2nd time, I would have HWA with the Geforce card and would have gotten my $130+ back for the Diamond card I mentioned a second ago.

Instead I have Vista and the same stuttering mess with any channel but ABC and PBS (I am guessing less bits of information is being sent over the air waves) as FOX HD is 720p but causes my system to stutter slightly.

I thought this would be SIMPLE, its NOT.

I would wait on any purchase of a ATI HD2xxx series card until people on the owners thread rejoice that 6 months after its release these cards do what it says it suppose to do ON THE BOX!

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #6 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the 2600 xt agp supported by the ati UVD. I know the 2400 pro agp has problems with it.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #7 of 7 Old 12-20-2007, 05:28 AM

PowerColor has a 2600 HD 512MB DDR2 Dual DVI HDMI AGP card

I think about trying it as an answer for the same problem. It is the strongest AGP card I managed to find and it has an HDMI with a dedicated HW encoder.
Have not seen it in action but there is a huge thread about the ATI 2xxx chipset over here. I hope the AGP will have enough juice in it...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page