Upgrading CPU from D 805 to e2140: do I need to reinstall MCE? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-21-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm finally looking at having some free time next week to do some things with my HTPC and one of the first ones is upgrading the CPU from the D805 that's in it to the e2140 I bought three months ago on sale. Here's my system:

- Pentium D 805 CPU w/ASUS P5A2-8SB3W 80mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
- MSI P6N SLI FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX motherboard
- 3gb PC5400 DDR2 667mHz
- Foxconn 7600GT
- Onboard sound via optical SPDIF to my HT receiver
- 160gb WD IDE hard drives x 2
- Liteon 16x DVD burner
- Rosewill 450w PSU
- Windows MCE 2005
- Marantz VP4001 1280x720 HT projector

I will be removing the ASUS cooler and replacing it with the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro HSF I picked up, also a few months ago.

Will I need to completely reformat and reinstall MCE after switching CPU's or can I just exchange the CPU's, install the new HSF and be up and running? I did a search for this topic and an older post said you could probably exchange a socket 939 X2 for an old Athlon XP without doing much more than physically swapping the CPU's, but I don't know if that would apply to these LGA 775 processors.

When I upgraded to the MSI MB and D805, I had to do a new install of MCE, but that was OK at the time since I also upgraded from XP SP2 to MCE then. I don't have ridiculous amounts of content on the main hard drive - mainly Theatertek, Paint Shop Pro and a few games, but after many hours of gaming, I don't especially want to have to start over from scratch if I don't have to. I know some computer gurus/geeks claim they like to reinstall their OS every 6 or 12 months to have a "fresh" copy, but I have a family, job, outside interests, etc... and the prospect of feeding disks into the machine for hours reinstalling everything does not appeal.

If I don't need to do a reinstall of MCE, do I need to do anything else to get the computer running with the e2140, say install some drivers or BIOS upgrades or anything like that?

If I will need to do a fresh install, can I pull my main hard drive out, turn the secondary HD (which is empty) into the master drive and install MCE on that, then plug the original HD back in and copy folders over to the new drive? Would that be a better way of doing it than just reinstalling everything from scratch?

I just bought a Visiontek Radeon HD 3850 to replace the 7600gt. Should I install that before or after the new CPU? I also bought a Cateye HD tuner - same question with that also.

Thanks for your help - I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-21-2007, 07:29 PM

you dont need to re-install MCE when you upgrade cpu/graphics card. only when you change motherboard
post #3 of 6 Old 12-22-2007, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

If you had cablecard, then probably, but not vanilla mce... Worst case you'd have to reactivate.

thx
mike
post #4 of 6 Old 12-22-2007, 06:08 AM

I second MikeSM may need to reactivate.

Be aware that you need to check that your current bios will accept the new processor. I assume that you have already researched that the board will use the new processor but when a board accepts two different processors it may be necessary to flash. If the board supports the new processor and you have the latest bios there isn't an issue. Just sucks to do the swap, turn it on then come to that realization. Don't ask why I am so passionate about this.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-22-2007, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The P6N SLI FI is a current model board that takes everything on a 775 socket except quad core, so it should be fine, once I update the BIOS. I guess I'm going to need to get around to seeing if the ethernet cables I had installed in my new house and the media box they're connected to will work so I can go online to get the BIOS update.

Would you swap CPU's or video cards first?
post #6 of 6 Old 12-24-2007, 11:38 AM

Cpu first if you are installing one then the other.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page