SageTV 6.3.5 and USB-UIRT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-24-2007, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I posted the following at the SageTV forum, but thought I'd give this one a try too.

Here goes:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I've just downloaded the trial version of SageTV 6.3.5 and set it up to control my set-top box via an USB-UIRT device.

As far as I can tell, the USB-UIRT support only goes as far as inputting the numbers, from 0-9, to change channels. Is it not possible to perform other commands, like powering the set-top box on and off?

If that is not possible, it brings me to my next question.
I've created my own windows application to learn and transmit commands using the USB-UIRT device. I was going to use that application to perform any other commands I might need, like powering my equipment on and off and other things, since I usually don't leave everything powered on when I'm away from home (and to use the placeshifter for example, I'd of course have to power everything up remotely beforehand). But unfortunately, the SageTV service doesn't like to share the USB-UIRT device When the SageTV service is running, the USB-UIRT device does not respond to the commands from my program. When I shut down the SageTV service, my program works fine. Is this a known issue and is there anything I can do to fix it?

But if SageTV can perform those advanced commands for me, I should not need my application at all so that would kind of solve my problem also.

Any comments?

Regards,
Haukur H. Thorsson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-24-2007, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi Haukur,

The USB-UIRT driver can be shared by more than one app. I used to use my USB-UIRT to change channels via SageTV's builtin support + Girder for receiving pre-learned IR commands for my remote.

PS: You might be a lot happier with the flexibility and power of Girder compared to the app you made.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Sage can learn other remote codes and has the ability to add prefix codes to channel change commands. Don't know if that would work to power up an "off". My Dish boxes don't actually go off, but instead just go into standby with power off command.

Brian
post #4 of 5 Old 12-25-2007, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for commenting.

mkanet: I tried using EventGhost which is a program similar to Girder, and it could not access the USB-UIRT device when the SageTV service was running :S

I don't know if it's got something to do with EventGhost or SageTV.

Maybe I'll try Girder again ... I did try to use it a while ago but I was overwhelmed by it It appears to be so complicated (And I'm a software engineer by trade )
post #5 of 5 Old 12-25-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hagur, when I first played with Girder, I also thought it unnecessarily complex for what I wanted to do. But after spending a little bit of time with it, I find myself using it more and more for all kinds of things. The USB-UIRT plugin for girder was written by the same guy who created the USB-UIRT... so, it works pretty reliably. Best thing of all, you know it can share the USB-UIRT with SageTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagur View Post

Hi guys, thanks for commenting.

mkanet: I tried using EventGhost which is a program similar to Girder, and it could not access the USB-UIRT device when the SageTV service was running :S

I don't know if it's got something to do with EventGhost or SageTV.

Maybe I'll try Girder again ... I did try to use it a while ago but I was overwhelmed by it It appears to be so complicated (And I'm a software engineer by trade )

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page