post #691 of 698 Old 05-14-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

Is there anyone still viewing this thread for the Dvico Fusion HDTV7 USB receiver?

I'm trying to use it with Windows 8 on a new laptop, and am having problems.

Larry
San Francisco

Hi,

Yes I am still around but most smart people have put it into the trash can by now AFAIK.

As I said elsewhere, silence is violently damming compared with damming with faint praise.

Lots of silence here. It’s so bad that people do not even ask for help.

My knowledge of your usage makes it hard for me to suggest that you continue to use the DIVCO defective software.

But nothing will help when you have to do a re-scan with every location change or rotation of an antenna. Another reason that the Virtual Channel idea is so bad. Oh well, OTA DTV will be gone soon, FCC, President and Congress have it all planned, they just want to collect the money.

I regret again for telling you about the Fusion7 USB, my knowledge about the horrible defective software came only later.

I only use Fusion for capture playbacks and it aborts in so many ways that I have to be very careful.

You are using an ADMIN account?

I just tried using the signal checker using my ADMIN account under W7 and it was unusable, did not respond and could not even be killed by the "Task Manager".

EDIT: Fusion HDTV FusionHDTV3.91 will not even start!

I only installed recently my Fusion7 USB on my W7 laptop so I have little experience.

On my Vista laptop a restart with the factory image was the only way to correct a problem.

The remaining users may have moved to "Windows Media Center" where the tuner works quite well AFAIK as well as other applications that use the BDE drivers.

Linux (Washing my hands with soap after typing that) may be an option, but that may be a myth, the program name being MythTV.

----------------------------------

Microsoft with each version is trying harder to protect most users, it might not even have an ADMIN account. My HTPC (XP, Vista, W7) all run with UAC off which MyHD requires and an ADMIN account.

If you can describe your problems I may be able to help although I do not have W8 (Yet but I may blow some money for a new toy).

I wonder if a HDHR might be a better solution, should I ever go camping again I would consider taking one of mine along.

SHF

P.S. IF and ONLY IF you have created the disks to restore your W8 computer to it's factory initial state, and are willing to try very dangerous things, PM me for the instructions to enable the ADMINISTRATOR account.

It's Bill Gates personal account who of course owning the company does want to be bothered by the UAC nonsense and other restrictions.

If he has problems he just gives the computer to another person to fix and grabs another one.

Fusion "might" run better under that account, but as even I am not so foolish I have no knowledge.

That account is still there on Vista, W7 and W8, I just checked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 698 Old 05-14-2013, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SFischer1,

You mentioned OTA DTV will soon be gone. Any more info on that? Any guesses? I'm in the process of buying some OTA stuff while it's still available, so this is interesting (and news) to me.

Thanks
post #693 of 698 Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk54911 View Post

SFischer1,

You mentioned OTA DTV will soon be gone. Any more info on that? Any guesses? I'm in the process of buying some OTA stuff while it's still available, so this is interesting (and news) to me.

Thanks

Hi,

Well channel 1 was gone 1940 ~ 1950.

Channels 52 and above are now gone.

The FCC has until 2020 if I remember correctly to conduct the auctions, KCSM being at the top of the list locally but no conclusion for their second attempt to sell the station.

https://sharepoint.smccd.edu/SiteDirectory/generalservices/Lists/Bid%20Announcements/DispForm.aspx?ID=26&Source=https%3A%2F%2Fsharepoint%2Esmccd%2Eedu%2FSiteDirectory%2Fgeneralservices%2FLists%2FBid%2520Announcements%2FCurrent%2Easpx

Chart of possible channels to be removed this time.

Click to enlarge

The official final DTV Table Of Allotments-channel change thread - AVS Forum

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newestpost/823166/the-official-final-dtv-table-of-allotments-channel-change-thread/60

AVS Official Topic - The FCC & Broadcast Spectrum

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1216722/avs-official-topic-the-fcc-broadcast-spectrum/2850#post_23320662

A professor has published a paper describing how to keep the remaining DTV stations and Wireless from interfering with each other.

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7022112024

The President, the FCC and most notably the Congress all want the money and well as the Wireless, Cable and Dish companies. They will be the ones that pay big $$$ for the RF channels.

HD for free, what a silly idea. Remember, we had a DTV transition, not a HDTV one.

If you follow the example of channel 1, we do not need too many RF channels. (12 Video, 8 Audio only, total of 20 on one RF channel.)

HD OTA, some channels will remain, some will be two per RF channel like we already have, some will just go back to SD. Only time will tell.

Then there is Ultra HD, wrong name for sure, that is already in the labs. OTA DTV is locked into a lessor standard and Ultra HD OTA is not possible.

Now, as we have 80% cable / dish, and that number was before DTV, OTA would not be as great a loss as other places.

Please respond in the proper forum which I gave above, this is OT here.

And the expert people watching the crunch of RF channels are there.

SHF

post #694 of 698 Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SHF,

Thanks for the info and pointer to the correct forum.

Back on track, I'm going to have to try out my Fusion7 again soon so I don't forget how to program it. I got a Tivo since the Fusion and now just keep the Fusion as backup to my Tivo; last I remember, it worked just fine on XP. I just like my Tivo sooooooooo much better and it's so much easier with more features (and more costly).

Anyway, thanks again,

tk
post #695 of 698 Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Stephen, thanks for the update on the Dvico USB software.

I did have Version 3.91 running on Windows 8 quite successfully, but then it started doing it's "computer not responding" antics, until a few days ago. Then it started giving me three error messages:
-- Couldn't create the BDA Tuner
-- Connect Demuser PSI outpin to TS information filter failed
-- Access violation at address 0BF8Z82F

Both the HDTV program and the channel scanner program give me the same results.

You offered something interesting: "users may have moved to "Windows Media Center" where the tuner works quite well AFAIK as well as other applications that use the BDE drivers." Hmm... I'll see if I can find Media Center on my new laptop and see if it works. I don't care about the Dvico software. I just want something that will run with my USB tuner so that I can scan local TV when on the road traveling.

You wrote: "Oh well, OTA DTV will be gone soon, FCC, President and Congress have it all planned, they just want to collect the money." I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. There are too many stations in the major markets for them to configure any successful operation, and there's no way they're going to let OTA TV disappear. I think you're in dream mode when talking about the future. It ain't gonna happen.

I'll keep watching this thread to see if anyone comes up with any good answers.

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #696 of 698 Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

Stephen, thanks for the update on the Dvico USB software.

I did have Version 3.91 running on Windows 8 quite successfully, but then it started doing it's "computer not responding" antics, until a few days ago. Then it started giving me three error messages:
-- Couldn't create the BDA Tuner
-- Connect Demuser PSI outpin to TS information filter failed
-- Access violation at address 0BF8Z82F

Both the HDTV program and the channel scanner program give me the same results.

You offered something interesting: "users may have moved to "Windows Media Center" where the tuner works quite well AFAIK as well as other applications that use the BDE drivers." Hmm... I'll see if I can find Media Center on my new laptop and see if it works. I don't care about the Dvico software. I just want something that will run with my USB tuner so that I can scan local TV when on the road traveling.

You wrote: "Oh well, OTA DTV will be gone soon, FCC, President and Congress have it all planned, they just want to collect the money." I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. There are too many stations in the major markets for them to configure any successful operation, and there's no way they're going to let OTA TV disappear. I think you're in dream mode when talking about the future. It ain't gonna happen.

Larry
SF

Hi,

Your messages suggest to me what I was seeing on my W7 laptop, the application connection to the driver is failing. I have seen signs of this on W7, Vista and XP so it is not a new thing.

Go back and reread this post, it might help you recover:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/744292/new-fusionhdtv-software/1770#post_22828157

If that does not help, then a uninstall and reinstall might be necessary.

You are restarting your computer? That's the first thing I do when I see a Fusion Glitch.

Media center also must do a scan for channels, that's where HDHR shines with it's ability to select channels by RF number.

Please be warned, Media Center may start to wake up your computer to download program listings and program updates. It too me a long time to stop that on my Vista laptop as it is so well hidden.

I now have that problem with my W7 laptop and I cannot find out why. I am using Microsoft's best tools and have checked Media Center and I think it is off.

I turned my laptop on yesterday and it was down to 38%, 50% is normal as that allows the battery to last the longest. I have set battery off time to 5 minutes and turn wireless off each night.

As to DTV OTA going away, just how long can inferior methods continue as tech knowledge is increasing so fast. Have you read about Ultra HDTV? You can buy it today for $26,000. A server computer is included to provide the fast data stream.

Quote:

You do know about AVS subscriptions? I got a message that you had replied.

SHF

post #697 of 698 Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Larry, WMC was included in most versions of windows 7 but not in Windows 8, so you likely don't have that option on the new machine. frown.gif

As Nani said, an uninstall plus reinstall should fix the problem with the fusion software.
post #698 of 698 Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Larry, and Terry if you are interested:

TSReader Lite (Free) can be used live with the Fusion7 USB tuner. Perhaps it will be of some help for you on W8.

I have found that the Fusion7 USB tuner is very sluggest when starting on my W7 laptop, so do not expect immediate results.

Click to enlarge Picture

SHF

Reply Home Theater Computers