HP Pavilion Slimline s3330f, is it a good prebuilt htpc? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 336 Old 03-21-2008, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anybody been able to get Wake-on-LAN to work with this computer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 336 Old 03-22-2008, 09:28 AM

I'm looking at one of these, but no need for the combo drive - although I am looking to record and play a lot of HD. I'm also component-only right now (trying to get the HD board in my tv). So if I have to use component, and without the combo drive, can anyone recommend the best model number sans combo drive and what (if any) graphics card I could get to support component?
post #183 of 336 Old 03-22-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waco Kid View Post

I'm looking at one of these, but no need for the combo drive - although I am looking to record and play a lot of HD. I'm also component-only right now (trying to get the HD board in my tv). So if I have to use component, and without the combo drive, can anyone recommend the best model number sans combo drive and what (if any) graphics card I could get to support component?

You could try something like this

link to deal
and then add in a $50-$100 video card of your choice
post #184 of 336 Old 03-22-2008, 04:24 PM

Ok, just picked one up. I have a TH-50PF9UK. I hooked it up through VGA. I can see the computer, but 1024x768 seems to be the desired resolution. I then learned 1600x1200 is the highest it can go (and it didn't look that good). Off to find a VGA to component adapter...

---- edit ----

I have the s3300f - it only has vga out. VGA to component adapter doesn't show a thing on my tv. It looks like I might have to either pick up another video card, or return this for the s3330f (didn't really want the combo drive) and see if DVI to component works.
post #185 of 336 Old 03-23-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
After turning my old HTPC into a boat anchor while trying to diagnose a hardware problem, I bought one of these. I haven't put it through it's paces with HDTV yet, but here are the impressions of someone who last set up a HTPC about three years ago.

First, the video card recognized by TV set! (A Toshiba RP-CRT.) For some reason it wants to scroll on the blue boot page and the Windows booting page (two things I never had problems displaying on the old set), but it was fine once it got to anything that required input.

Second, the setup of the HD Homerun was a breeze too. Their software now recognizes direct (no router) connections without using DCHP (or whatever) software. And the scanning worked fine to find the channels.

Unfortunately, MCE wasn't as nice. I had a hard time getting the channels that worked in VLC to work in MCE. That took about two hours to straighten out (it was either using a different zip code or disabling the built in tuner).

Anyway, these things have really come a long way in just a few years. I was considering buying an HD Tivo instead, figuring it was cheaper and setup would be easier. But except for the MCE glitch, setup was a breeze.
post #186 of 336 Old 03-23-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, what kind of luck have you people been having getting this unit to sleep/wakeup?

I have another one of these that is lower end, and it sometimes has serious troubles waking up. But I think that might be due to either my Anti-virus or Acronis software. I've basically given up on putting that one to sleep and just turn it off.
post #187 of 336 Old 03-23-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

BTW, what kind of luck have you people been having getting this unit to sleep/wakeup?

I have another one of these that is lower end, and it sometimes has serious troubles waking up. But I think that might be due to either my Anti-virus or Acronis software. I've basically given up on putting that one to sleep and just turn it off.

Mine doesn't have any trouble going to sleep and waking up. I use the Norton Antivirus. I don't have anything else installed, however, other than the software that came with the computer and AnyDVD. That's it.
post #188 of 336 Old 03-24-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I changed the power options to sleep after 5 hours. The on/off bar at the top/front goes yellow. When I push it the PC comes on with no problems. I use the McAfee security suite (free updates from Comcast) after removing all Norton products.

Rich N.
post #189 of 336 Old 03-24-2008, 01:30 PM

Unless I'm missing something the video card that comes with this needs to "see" your tv. Does anyone have a recommendation for a card to add that would allow me to use component and get 1080p?
post #190 of 336 Old 03-24-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unless I'm missing something the video card that comes with this needs to "see" your tv. Does anyone have a recommendation for a card to add that would allow me to use component and get 1080p?

I think component can only do 1080i
post #191 of 336 Old 03-24-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

I think component can only do 1080i

From what I read some can, but even if I can't, I couldn't use the vga version of the card that came with this machine, and I'm just looking to get proper resolution for my tv and would like to get that through component.
post #192 of 336 Old 03-26-2008, 10:31 PM

Well, I've got it close to looking really good via VGA. I'm using 1360x768, although the tv wants 1366x768 from the VGA port I found out. It's creating this black bar on the right side of the tv. Doesn't look bad, but long-term use (plasma) concerns me.

I'm also seeing some choppy video from some mkvs and live tv. I tried removing a lot of programs and closing a lot of processes, but I haven't found the cause yet.

If I can get that screen filled, smooth out the video and then setup my remote desktop into it, I'll be set.
post #193 of 336 Old 03-28-2008, 09:21 AM

I along with others on this thread am interested in using this as an HTPC. Like Herve I will be using a JVC RS1. I am also considering an HP M9200t (from the HP site) for the fact that I can get more power and the ability to upgrade. Any thoughts on weather a PC like this would be configured similarly so that it could be used as an HTPC via HDMI as well with similar benefits of the s3330f?
post #194 of 336 Old 03-28-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:

Well, I've got it close to looking really good via VGA. I'm using 1360x768, although the tv wants 1366x768 from the VGA port I found out. It's creating this black bar on the right side of the tv. Doesn't look bad, but long-term use (plasma) concerns me.

I'm also seeing some choppy video from some mkvs and live tv. I tried removing a lot of programs and closing a lot of processes, but I haven't found the cause yet.

If I can get that screen filled, smooth out the video and then setup my remote desktop into it, I'll be set.

For choppy video, verify Power Option in Control Panel is set to High Performance. I put mine to sleep in 10 minutes and it typically wakes up fine. Sometimes it does not wake up by mouse alone (need to hit the remote; have yet to figure out why).

I turned off Windows Firewall and Vista had some difficulty with that. I finally returned to Windows Firewall and things are fine.
post #195 of 336 Old 03-31-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know where else to ask this. People here are more knowledgeable than I am. I have this PC running Vista Home Premium. I wanted to change permissions on my PC but it says I'm not authorized to change c:\\documents and settings\\ files. How come on my own pc I can't change permissions on a file in that folder?

Thanks,

Rich
post #196 of 336 Old 03-31-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I've run into similar problems on that computer that I haven't run into on other Vista computers, including a lower end version of the same model (an S32xxx). Try running whatever program you're using "as administrator."
post #197 of 336 Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 PM

ok just want to clarify something
it is true that both the S3330F and the S3400T(intel) only feature external usb IR receiver?
not an integrated one? if so has anyone attempted a internal IR MOD?

thanks
post #198 of 336 Old 03-31-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've run into similar problems on that computer that I haven't run into on other Vista computers, including a lower end version of the same model (an S32xxx). Try running whatever program you're using "as administrator."

Thanks, I went as SYSTEM user and granted all access to c:\\documents and settings and I think it is OK now.

Rich
post #199 of 336 Old 04-01-2008, 08:03 PM

can anyone answer the question regarding the remotes?

thanks!!
post #200 of 336 Old 04-03-2008, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd asked earlier whether people had problems with Standby with this machine, because I have had problems with my lesser HP slimline. Well yesterday I did have an issue on this machine too, and it managed to hose my SageTV installation. Other than Sage and the HD Homerun stuff, there's nothing on the computer that wasn't on it when I bought it (less because the AV stuff is gone).

I hate Windows standby--seems to cause nothing but problems on any computer I use it on.
post #201 of 336 Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidbuck View Post

Thanks, I went as SYSTEM user and granted all access to c:\\documents and settings and I think it is OK now.

Rich

I just learned that c:\\$user$\\documents and settings doesn't actually exist. It is to allow programs looking for it to go to its Vista equivalent (called a Junction). Lots of info if you Google it. This was to try to gain access to a temp file causing problems wit MLB.com, whose 1200MB data stream doesn't seem to work on Vista. What fun!

Rich N.
post #202 of 336 Old 04-04-2008, 11:16 PM

Hey Everybody, I am new here and ran into some trouble setting my 3330f up to my Sony SXRD 50" 1080i rear projection.

I have the PC ran direct to the tv via HDMI. The computer recognizes my sony tv but the resolution says 1768 x 992 and if I up it to 1920 x 1080 it becomes to big for my TV screen.

Big problem...I can play Bluray and HDdvds on my 19" HP monitor ran DVI, but when I make my TV my main display the dvd player says, "The Content is Protected. The Content is Not Allowed to Play in Current Display Mode.

(I am trying to post a screen shot...but not allowed yet.)

Please Help!

I just updated the firmware for the graphics cards...do I have to do some kind of update for the player?
post #203 of 336 Old 04-05-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

shivvy, it sounds like you're running dual displays--try just having your TV connected as the only display (or maybe as the main display). I seem to recall an issue with dual displays.

On mine I run the DVD program directly, not through WMC. That might help your screensize issue (assuming the desktop isn't significantly too big also).
post #204 of 336 Old 04-05-2008, 10:38 AM

yeah, when I go to play the DVD, I click make TV main display and then I unclick extend to my monitor so the TV is my only display. Do you mean I have to physically unplug the DVI? I wouldnt think I would have to but who knows.

ohh...I am not using WMC either. I just use the "DVD PLAY DB HD DVD" program.

This is so disappointing, I got the 5.1 working and the was having problems with the screen size but downloaded the drivers and now only have that small resolution problem (if it even is a problem? just dont understand why is isnt the 1920x1080 reso.)....now all I need is the picture on the tv screen.
post #205 of 336 Old 04-06-2008, 05:44 PM

this is the only thing I am missing and pretty much the whole reason I bought this computer.

NOBODY else had this issue? why only me? I am not doing anything crazy...not even running it through my marantz 5002 with 3 HDMI inputs.
post #206 of 336 Old 04-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
What is your TV's model number?
post #207 of 336 Old 04-07-2008, 12:36 PM

Sony KDS-R50XBR1

It only runs 1080i, if that matters for this purpose.
post #208 of 336 Old 04-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivvy View Post

Sony KDS-R50XBR1

It only runs 1080i, if that matters for this purpose.

If you are sending it a 1080p signal, I think it does matter.

If you haven't already tried what follows, please do so and report back your results.

1. Open Nvidia control panel.

2. Under "View" tab at top, select "advanced".

3. On left side, under "Display", select "set up multiple displays".

4. Select "single display" mode and verify that Nvidia has identified display properly. If so, hit "apply".

5. On left, under "video and television", select "change the signal or HD format".
- Verify that your display is correct under #1.
- Under 2, verify "HDMI-High definition televisions" is selected.
- Under 3, select "1080i HDTV".
- Apply.

6. If desktop is now not properly sized, under "video and television", select "Resize HDTV desktop", then "Resize my desktop", then resize appropriately, save and exit.

Good luck.
post #209 of 336 Old 04-07-2008, 11:37 PM

Does anyone know the model of tv tuner that comes with the s3220n (assuming it's the same as the s3330f)?

It doesn't look like it's digital, which means it's another part I want to replace (now making me wish I just built my own).
post #210 of 336 Old 04-09-2008, 11:58 AM

New Egg still seems to have the lowest price out there. Everyone seems to concur that this is a decent deal at ~$920 considering you get blue ray, wireless accessories, 500GB drive, etc.

Any buyers remorse? Should I pull the plug on this puppy? I currently have an HP DEC Z555, and I've upgraded the video card to the sam model in this unit (MSI 8500GT Low profile). It's getting kinda old though, and I really like the form factor of this unit. Tell me, does the fan assume "jet takeoff" when the unit gets hot?

Thanks for your replies.

SF
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page