Can't be the TV... is it the video card or the driver? (Nvidia text / scaling issue) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Running Vista 32bit w/ an Nvidia 7950GT HDCP card and Forceware 169.04

I was previously connected to a Samsung DLP via a DVI-VGA adapter/cable and running at 1280X720 with about 10% overscan. Everything appeared "ok".

A month ago the TV died and the replacement was a Samsung LN-T5265F.

I tried doing to DVI-VGA adapter/cable again and I could not get the 1920X1080p resolution to work correctly. It took an hour just to make the 1920X1080 resolution available and I was able to get windows to work, but when Media Center loaded the TV would go blank and say "Signal not supported". The text was blurry (see below) so I did some research.

I read that the best thing to do would be DVI-HDMI cable and use the "Just Scan" mode on the TV to force 1:1 pixel mapping. I hooked it up that way and everything worked.

The problem I'm having is that ALL text is still blurry as hell. Its not blurry like out of focus, its blurry like the scaling is off. The edges of letters seem fat and the opposite edge seems skinny. I'll try and post a screen shot later but essentially it looks like the wrong DPI size. If you look at this picture, its very similar to the image at the bottom http://cybernetnews.com/wp-content/u...mo500to400.jpg

Ive tried turning effects on and off (Cleartype and Normal). Ive changed my drivers from 163.?? to 169.04 (although I did not uninstall the old driver first). Ive tried all of the scaling/no scaling options in the Nvidia control panel (which seem to do nothing as I assume the TV isnt scaling and doesnt appear to be). Ive tried changing between 59 and 60hz and that seems to do nothing at all. When doing the setup in Media Center is says my TV is 1920X1080X59.97hz which is what the book says I should be at (which further enforces my belief that the TV is 1:1). The cable is a 12ft HDMI-DVI certified shielded cable (for in-wall use but its not in a wall). Since this has happened using both the VGA input and the HDMI input of the TV its either a TV issue or (more likely) a video card/driver issue.

I believe the PS3 is working fine but there isnt a lot of text to check and see. My son was playing Rock Band last night and it looked ok to me.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Unless your PC desktop resolution is set to the native resolution of your TV and that is also the resolution you are sending scaling of the desktop text will cause bluriness if done by either your graphics card or if done by the TV.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Both the resolution that windows is set for and the native resolution of the TV is 1920X1080.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Well if you have windows set to output to the the display at 1920x1080 as long as your PC desktop application resolution is also set to 1920x1080 32 bit color then there should be no scaling occuring in the PC prior to the output to the display.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

That is exactly his point.

Anyway, I recomend trying another source in the hopes of localizing the probem, browsing the web with your PS3 would be an easy option.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebisme View Post

That is exactly his point.

Anyway, I recomend trying another source in the hopes of localizing the probem, browsing the web with your PS3 would be an easy option.

I'll give this a shot this tonight/tomorrow and see what I discover.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Problem fixed!

Thanks guys.

Turns out it was my TV's sharpness setting. It was set at 50 from the factory and needed to be at 20. I guess there is such a thing as TOOOOOO sharp.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-10-2009, 06:19 PM

Ah the sharpness! Thanks for posting your fix it helped me fix mine as well. I just built a new vista pc and couldn't understand why the fonts were unreadable! Looks awesome with the sharpness turned way down.

Now if I could just figure out why I have to set the refresh rate to 30Hz to get it to go 16:9 I'd be set!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page