No 5.1 audio with asus m2a-vm hdmi - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-13-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have the spdif out to my reciever and i cant get 5.1 with any tye of file or media. ive read everything and searched everywhere for an answer but nothing. Im trying to 5.1 sound to my reciever for when i watch h264 files or anything else that is 5.1. the board supports 6.1( asus m2a-vm hdmi). I have a turtle beach 5.1 sound card also here with a toshlink if needed. Please help me get 5.1 sound.

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-13-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekrememan View Post

i have the spdif out to my reciever and i cant get 5.1 with any tye of file or media. ive read everything and searched everywhere for an answer but nothing. Im trying to 5.1 sound to my reciever for when i watch h264 files or anything else that is 5.1. the board supports 6.1( asus m2a-vm hdmi). I have a turtle beach 5.1 sound card also here with a toshlink if needed. Please help me get 5.1 sound.

thx

If you have Vista you may be having the same problems I was...

SoundMAX Audio Driver V6.10.1.6260 for Windows Vista (beta drivers)
Direct link:
http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/.../V61016260.zip

ASUS Driver Page:
http://support.asus.com/download/dow...e&type=drivers

Try using those drivers - it allowed me to use DTS with my sound card. Apparently ASUS is a little behind on Vista support.

After I installed those drivers I got this extra application:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=976480
^^^ That's the thread that I got the info from.

I'm considering getting a better audio card... that may be both of our solutions as I still can't get Dolby Digital to my receiver.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-14-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

i have installed new drivers and software and still nothing i only get 2 speakers to work. I can select 5.1 and when i do only the front left right speakers work, nothing else has sounds. so i cant hear any talking and my reciever will only see the LPCM mode, no sound comes through the DD. ive tried DVDs, mkv, avi's nothing will work in DD 5.1. And i cant get 5.1 sound out of LPCM mode. Im using XP with the asus M2a-vm HDMI. What do i need to buy to get DD 5.1 with my MKV files thx.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-14-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekrememan View Post

i have installed new drivers and software and still nothing i only get 2 speakers to work. I can select 5.1 and when i do only the front left right speakers work, nothing else has sounds. so i cant hear any talking and my reciever will only see the LPCM mode, no sound comes through the DD. ive tried DVDs, mkv, avi's nothing will work in DD 5.1. And i cant get 5.1 sound out of LPCM mode. Im using XP with the asus M2a-vm HDMI. What do i need to buy to get DD 5.1 with my MKV files thx.

Just took a look at your card. You're going to have to get a sound card as your card doesn't have digital audio out. You could however try HDMI as that most likely carries your digital audio.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-14-2008, 12:33 PM

Wow! I'm seeing this "problem" all over the place there. Others have solved it by making the HDMI device the default audio device but some have disabled their onboard audio through BIOS as well.

The ATI cards use a RealTek chip and RealTek has released a driver update to resolve these issues.

I think on the Asus uses the Intel HDMI chipset so that would have to be enabled in the BIOS.

Also, you'll need a DD+, TrueHD, DTS-MA decoder on the receiver to get those modes. There are not that many reciever that do that yet.

But yet another problem is that not all software players support HDMI audio yet; the only one that has confirmed "better" HDMI audio support is PowerDVD 8 (not yet released).
post #6 of 6 Old 01-14-2008, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

i was playing with FFshow audio , just selected optical out to decode works great now. Eveything works except WMV doesnt work in 5.1. No big deal for now.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page