.mkv splitter and vista x64 media center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 01-19-2008, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a little problem with Vista Media Center (x64) and Haali's matroska splitter. I can't get them to work together.

I got ffdshow x64 installed, and it works like a charm. The matroska splitter also works fine in the 32bit players like media player classic and the 32bit windows media player. I also see the .mkv files fine in Media Center after adding the registry hack. But I get a "Windows Media Center can't open the file" when I try and open any file that the matroska splitter is tied to (including .avi if I add that file to the media splitter on install).

I've only been able to find 32bit versions of Haali's matroska splitter, I might have to use a 64bit? If so, anyone got a link?

Or any other input as to what I'm doing wrong here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-20-2008, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I solved this myself. I'm not 100% happy with how it's done, but it will have to do until the slackers making the matroska splitters get around to compile a x64 version of their otherwise great work

For those interested, here's what I did:

Uninstalled all codecs I've installed myself (ffdshow and haali media splitter)
Installed first the 32bit version of Vista Codec Pack
Installed the x64 componets of Vista Codec Pack

And it worked. The codec pack can be found here: http://shark007.testbox.dk/

I can now play all my .mkv movies directly from Vista Media Center and through MyMovies. I'm a happy camper now.
post #3 of 33 Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I personally don't have any 32 bit codecs installed, I just use the 64 bit Media Player instead of the 32 bit one. How I got everything to work was to install the 64 bit components mentioned above. Then, I went to C:\\windows\\system32\\ where the x64 components had installed a 64 bit version of gabest's matroskasplitter.ax I then copied that to the desktop uninstalled the x64 components, and manually registered that filter and installed the newest ffdshow tryouts for 64 bit.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #4 of 33 Old 01-21-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Sweet - good idea. Thanks for the tip.
post #5 of 33 Old 01-26-2008, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Finally got around to this, and as nice as the Vista Codec Pack is - a pure FFDshow runs better for me.

Sure, the Vista Codec Pack enabled me to see .MKV movies - but whatever mpeg2 player it uses messed up my remote-control when watching DVD's. I could not use the left or right menu-select buttons as it made the menus speed up and down.

So after some grinding teeth at that, I finally remembered this post and figured I'd try it out.

Here's the procedure if anyone else is interrested:

1. Install the Vista Codec Pack - and then install the x64 components pack. (reboot if needed)

2. Copy the MatroskaSplitter.AX found in "c:\\program files (x86)\\vista codec pack\\filters\\" (i think) to a new place.

3. Uninstall the x64 components and the vista codec pack again. (reboot if needed)

4. Install the newest FFDShow

5. In a command prompt run this command: C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\
egsvr32.exe /s "\\MatroskaSplitter.ax"

In my case the path was like this: C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\
egsvr32.exe /s "C:\\Install\\Gabest Matroska Splitter x64\\MatroskaSplitter.ax"

6. Copy everything between the "----" lines below into a text file. Rename the text file to enable_mkv.reg and run it to enable media center to recognise MKV files:

------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.ogm]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/x-ogm"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlaye r\\Extensions\\.ogm]
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.mkv]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/x-matroska"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlaye r\\Extensions\\.mkv]

You should now be able to play MKV files in Vista 64 media center and only have FFDShow installed along with the Gabest Matroska Splitter. This will have to do until Haali compiles a 64 bit version of his excelent splitter.
post #6 of 33 Old 02-07-2008, 09:41 AM

What are you using to switch between audio and subtitle streams in VMC? I installed Media Control but it doesn't seem to do anything when I click on the Audio/Subtitle button. According to Media Control, there is no ffdshow instance, although the ffdshow OSD displays if I turn it on, so I think ffdshow is indeed running.
post #7 of 33 Old 02-07-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 148
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=205650

Now you don't have to worry about installing codec packs first just for this splitter.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #8 of 33 Old 04-06-2008, 07:33 PM

Oddly only happens when playing in media center. Anybody experiencing this? Should I be better off with ffdshow experimental?
post #9 of 33 Old 04-07-2008, 04:09 PM

I tried installing the newest ffdshow, adding the Guliverkli2 matroska splitter and then entering the needed registry info from the post above here. But nope, my media center wont play x264 mkv or even xvid for that matter.
Works like a champ in wmp though
post #10 of 33 Old 04-21-2008, 10:43 AM

i'm using the codec packs found here:
http://shark007.testbox.dk/

I also installed the latest ffdshow x64 codec.

VMC will play xvids and .264/mkv movie files ok. however, I can't get it to play H.264/mkv TV shows correctly. it plays with slow stutter that many report. any advice on how to play these files from within VMC??

thanks!
post #11 of 33 Old 04-21-2008, 04:04 PM

i've also experienced the same juttery/slow playback in x64 VMC. I have to play back my files in 32bit apps.
post #12 of 33 Old 05-21-2008, 07:18 PM

This is a known issue for Vista Media Center running on multiple core processors. I have a quad core and it has a inconsistent studder or "hitching" effect. You have to make a media center icon on desktop and replace "target" information with:

%SystemRoot%\\System32\\cmd.exe /C start /Affinity 1 %SystemRoot%\\ehome\\ehshell.exe

Hope that helps
post #13 of 33 Old 05-22-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXeD View Post

This is a known issue for Vista Media Center running on multiple core processors.

Shut up, really? Dual-core too?
post #14 of 33 Old 05-26-2008, 10:05 AM

I have just did clean install Vista Ultimate 64. Upgrade to SP1. Here is all I have done since SP1 install:

Then download and install FFDshow tryout beta 4 x64(all defaults + AVIsynth plugin capable on install).
and I registered Gabest x64 MKV splitter.

followed this and the links required as my guide:
http://a8t8.spaces.live.com/blog/cns...13E8!141.entry

instructions are the same as listed in this post except installing codec pack just to get the splitter.

VMC looks to attempt to play video. After double clicking get a screen flicker, the Finished/Resume/Start screen from when you stop a video, a flicker and then "Cannot Play Video" error.

to test the file:
I then downloaded/installed Zoomplayer file played fine. Tried Windows media player, Plays fine ( no fast forward slider but plays).

I then tried the link above for a different named x64 mkv splitter and manually registered still same prob.

Whay have I missed to get VMC x64 to play mkv?

EDIT: it does not play in WMP 64 only WMP 32. So only 32bit players are working. This leads me to think my x64 codecs and/or spliter are not working as some .avis also don't play in 64 bit media player.
post #15 of 33 Old 06-03-2008, 03:05 PM

hello,

i just wasted the last few hours trying to understand why media player plays MKV correctly and VMC stutters (the video plays like in slow motion while the sound is normal).

i figured out that i was running WMP in 32-bit mode unlike VMC who runs on 64bit mode (without any option). WMP 32bit uses the 32bit decoders who work correctly and VMC uses the 64bit decoders who has the stuttering problem.

after i figured out that the main problem is the matroska x64 decoder, i googled it around seeing that many people has this problem

does anybody know if this problem can be fixed or we need to wait for a new release of the 64-bit version?

just FYI i have a core2duo@2.4, ati2600xt, 3gb of ram running Vista x64.

edit: forgot to add that when I switch to WMP 64-bit I have the same problem like VMC.

hope someone figures this out,
cheers!
post #16 of 33 Old 06-03-2008, 03:53 PM

doh, i just found out what's wrong.

it's an extremely stupid bug on ffdshow x64.

just enable WMP 64bit, install ffdshow x64, then install only the filter of matroska 64bit, and --pay attention-- enable the OSD of ffdshow and the video will stop stuttering.

i know OSD is annoying so just make it small and move it's position out of screen and it will play fine, till we get a proper release of ffdshow without that annoying bug.

enjoy.
post #17 of 33 Old 07-13-2008, 02:00 PM

OMG vasilis1983, thank you so much for that information! I spent the past 5 hours trying to get h264 .mkv playing in vmc 64 bit without stuttering.

even with ffdshow x64 and matroska x64 I had no success. thank god I finally found your posting - after enabling OSD it is working perfectly now.

I just registered to say thanks and to confirm your workaround.
post #18 of 33 Old 07-13-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasilis1983 View Post

doh, i just found out what's wrong.

it's an extremely stupid bug on ffdshow x64.

just enable WMP 64bit, install ffdshow x64, then install only the filter of matroska 64bit, and --pay attention-- enable the OSD of ffdshow and the video will stop stuttering.

i know OSD is annoying so just make it small and move it's position out of screen and it will play fine, till we get a proper release of ffdshow without that annoying bug.

enjoy.

This is awesome information, I recently did a dual boot XP MCE32/Vista Ultimate 64 setup and gave up on booting into Vista because I couldn't play back videos correctly under it. Now I can! For anyone else using this trick to get playback to work, you can also go to the Font options for the OSD and drag the Alpha sliders all the way off; even though the OSD is checked on it will be completely transparent.
Now I just need to get NGRC to actually work and I'll be all set!
post #19 of 33 Old 07-14-2008, 07:36 PM

Liked: 11
vasilis1983 thanks for the tip worked great I wasted many hours changing codecs etc and your tip just works I was even looking at overclocking as I thought that might be the problem but the q6600 at stock only hits 33% on 1080p material so a lot of what you read is rubbish thanks again for the tip. Have you notified ffdshow tryouts of the bug as many would appreciate this fixed im sure.
post #20 of 33 Old 08-15-2008, 12:51 PM

Is this still the only workaround? To enable the OSD? Has this been fixed to not have to enable the OSD?
post #21 of 33 Old 09-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does this allow you to use the video card's hardware acceleration?

Currently using MPC x64 on an HP 2500z tablet with AMD's Puma (ZM-84 2.4GHz w/ ATI HD 3200) and this method: http://forums.boxtorrents.com/index.php?topic=10948.0.

CPU utilization is only around 20 - 30% while 720p mkv's play nice and smooth on battery with CPU limited to 60% max via power save profile.

Would love to be able to play these on VMC with the included lil remote.

post #22 of 33 Old 09-30-2008, 04:48 AM

the real fix is to get rid of that ATI card and get a nvidia card...

that's what fixed it for me
post #23 of 33 Old 09-30-2008, 06:19 PM

Liked: 11
You dont need OSD just change the ffdshow output from yuy2 to nv12 it worked for me now I have smoothe playback of 1080p mkv files with 30% cpu.
post #24 of 33 Old 10-07-2008, 04:40 PM

Well this seems to have worked for me as far as viewing the MKVs, I certainly appreciate that. Next thing i've run into is some MKVs that I have will be equipped with multiple audio streams, and for whatever reason the spanish or director commentary is the default. Only Core Media Player seems to be able to select which stream you want. Any ideas on that one?
post #25 of 33 Old 11-23-2008, 01:13 PM

Ok so I have installed

FFDShowx64
registered Gabest splitter x64
run mkv registry edit

But when I try to open a x264 mkv file in VMC i only get sound

If I play it in WMPx64 i get picture and sound but VMC only sound?

Any Ideas?
post #26 of 33 Old 12-02-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCramp View Post

Well, I solved this myself. I'm not 100% happy with how it's done, but it will have to do until the slackers making the matroska splitters get around to compile a x64 version of their otherwise great work

For those interested, here's what I did:

Uninstalled all codecs I've installed myself (ffdshow and haali media splitter)
Installed first the 32bit version of Vista Codec Pack
Installed the x64 componets of Vista Codec Pack

And it worked. The codec pack can be found here: http://shark007.testbox.dk/

I can now play all my .mkv movies directly from Vista Media Center and through MyMovies. I'm a happy camper now.

Perfect. I did exactly this and it's working like a champ now. I'm glad I came upon these steps, and I'm glad you posted them here - 11 months later and although they still haven't fixed it, it still works!!

of course, uninstalling a whole bunch of stuff and then reinstalling the codecs may have solved the problem, but hey - who cares, it works now!
post #27 of 33 Old 12-17-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCramp View Post

Finally got around to this, and as nice as the Vista Codec Pack is - a pure FFDshow runs better for me.

Sure, the Vista Codec Pack enabled me to see .MKV movies - but whatever mpeg2 player it uses messed up my remote-control when watching DVD's. I could not use the left or right menu-select buttons as it made the menus speed up and down.

So after some grinding teeth at that, I finally remembered this post and figured I'd try it out.

Here's the procedure if anyone else is interrested:

1. Install the Vista Codec Pack - and then install the x64 components pack. (reboot if needed)

2. Copy the MatroskaSplitter.AX found in "c:\\program files (x86)\\vista codec pack\\filters\\" (i think) to a new place.

3. Uninstall the x64 components and the vista codec pack again. (reboot if needed)

4. Install the newest FFDShow

5. In a command prompt run this command: C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\
egsvr32.exe /s "\\MatroskaSplitter.ax"

In my case the path was like this: C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\
egsvr32.exe /s "C:\\Install\\Gabest Matroska Splitter x64\\MatroskaSplitter.ax"

6. Copy everything between the "----" lines below into a text file. Rename the text file to enable_mkv.reg and run it to enable media center to recognise MKV files:

"PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlaye r\\Extensions\\.ogm]

"PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlaye r\\Extensions\\.mkv]

You should now be able to play MKV files in Vista 64 media center and only have FFDShow installed along with the Gabest Matroska Splitter. This will have to do until Haali compiles a 64 bit version of his excelent splitter.

I tried this method and when i play a movie in vmc i get the following message: Media Center cannot find the specified file. Make sure the path is typed correctly.

Any suggestions? I had this thing working but had to do a fresh install of vista 64 and for the last 2 weeks I haven't been able to get it to play mkv files in vmc.
post #28 of 33 Old 12-30-2008, 06:17 PM

Hi All, Thanks to this thread, I can play now mkv file.

I did the following on a fresh Vista Ultimat 64 bit SP1 + all updates installed:
1.) installed ffdshow (ffdshow_rev2547_20081228_clsid_x64.exe)
2.) downloded "Matroska Splitter 1.0.3.0" , same as jhoff80 mentioned above
3.) registered Matrroska Splitter: C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\
egsvr32.exe /s "\\MatroskaSplitter.ax", as LeCramp mentioned above, and finally
4.) created / executed the REG file also from LeCramp:

"PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlaye r\\Ex tensions\\.ogm]

"PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlaye r\\Ex tensions\\.mkv]

Then I rebooted my HTPC and VMC started to recognise the MKV files, thumbnails was assigned to the folders, and I can play the mkv files.
(Wanted to include links, but there is an anti-spammer rule in this forum, so I was not allowed, sorry.)
post #29 of 33 Old 12-30-2008, 07:39 PM

I hate to be a pest but can anyone help me with this? I tried the solution above many times but keep getting this when I try to play a mkv in vmc

Media Center cannot find the specified file. Make sure the path is typed correctly.

I think I did everything right. When I registered the matroska splitter I didn't get a message of any sort, just a new prompt in windows. Was I just supposed to type the text exactly? I assume by run you mean just type the c:\\windows\\syswow64 etc etc and hit return.

I'm about a week away from just going with a blu-ray player at this point but I'd really like to get this working if I can.
post #30 of 33 Old 01-17-2009, 11:55 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone for their hard work! This post was very useful.

I was able to find another thread though that pointed to a very useful download.

majorgeeks.com/Vista_Codec_x64_Components_d5535.html

I just downloaded and installed this, it registered the proper filters, and just did the reg edit that is listed in this thread and BAM. All was good, and I did not have to install anything else!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page