Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 4443 Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

So, anyone who's bought this, does the full version enable the DTS Surround Sensation option?

Haven't seen it, but word is the trial is exactly the full version except the time limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4443 Old 01-28-2008, 02:35 PM

I am the guy having issues with the Vista Media Center "Play BD/HD" plug-in (mentioned the aggregated bug list). Heard from their tech support, they suggested it was conflicts with Vista Media Center itself or with my installation of MyMovies. They told me to uninstall both of those things (how does one uninstall Vista Media Center?) I told them that wasn't going to happen, they came back and said that the Vista Media Center plug-in is "not well-supported" at this point. Oh. Thanks.

Good News is he said an update will be available in about 1 month. That is a while to wait, think I might just go the stand-alone BD route.
post #273 of 4443 Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf08 View Post

(how does one uninstall Vista Media Center?)

Just reinstall Windows - what's the big deal???
post #274 of 4443 Old 01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Andy o,

I got into the config for deinterlace, and what you want to se, available audio options.

Deinterlace options. Notice, this is the default setting. Not so good default setting imo.

And for Andy O, the available Audio Configurations.
It's at 16 bit audio by default. Again, not so good.
All the ones in blue are the default.

Video configuration screen. Notice all the output colorspaces available.
This is the deault setting.

Ok, hope this helps you out.

There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
post #275 of 4443 Old 01-28-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

ChrisMorley,

May I please ask that the configuration screens in post 274, the pictures I posted. Be included as available configuration options in a future totalmedia update.

I'm asking you to ask arcsoft for this for me.

Thank you very much.

post #276 of 4443 Old 01-28-2008, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8:13 View Post

Andy o,

I got into the config for deinterlace, and what you want to se, available audio options.

Deinterlace options. Notice, this is the default setting. Not so good default setting imo.

Thanks, but how do you get to those screens? They aren't in the program from what I can see. Although some of the options themselves seem to be the same, I guess, but my copy is still missing the other options. What I was wondering is if there is the DTS Surround Sensation option for headphones. Could you check that please? I don't think so though.

In any case, my copy in Vista 32 looks significantly different form what you've posted.
post #277 of 4443 Old 01-28-2008, 05:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

A reply from ArcSoft Jason At ArcSoft forum.
http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=252

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #278 of 4443 Old 01-28-2008, 06:49 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

I had posted my initial impressions of the ArcSoft TM trial version in the other ArcSoft thread. Basically, I felt it looked promising but had some definite issues. I had a bit of time to play with it some more this past weekend. My feeling is still the same, but I'm somewhat optimistic that we could be a few releases away from no longer having much use for PowerDVD. When I initially installed it (and after a reboot), I tried playing 300. I saw very high CPU usage and ArcSoft crashed and exited on me 3 or so minutes into playing the movie. Until the crash, the picture quality was very good EXCEPT that it was frequently breaking up on the top 3rd - primarily on the left side of the screen.

I did some more testing over the weekend. I switched the audio output from 2 channel to SPDIF, experienced no crashes (with the same movie), and noticed that CPU usage stayed at pretty reasonable levels (indicating that hardware acceleration must have been working).

I also found that the picture breakup problem exists at 1080i, but not at 1800x480 or lower (my Mitsubishi RPTV is pretty limited in that it will only accept 480p, 540p, and 1080i timings, so I can't test 720p, for example). The 1800x480 resolution I have is actually a 540p timing - by doing this I eliminate overscan and can see the Windows taskbar and the full width of the desktop or maximized windows. I'm curious if this picture breakup problem is an ArcSoft problem, my card not having enough horsepower (ATI 2600XT), or due to ArcSoft's decision to not fully support ATI hardware acceleration under XP for now. Switching to nVidia isn't an option for me (I need custom resolutions), but I wonder if switching to a 3000 series ATI card would improve the situation (my understanding is that the AVIVO features are supposed to be the same, but it's become pretty clear that the 2400 series cards don't really have the horsepower to handle 1080i).

At 1800x480, I have to uncheck the maintain aspect ratio button and end up with excellent results with HD-DVD's. Unforunately, with Bluray movies the maintain aspect ration box gets checked and disabled, so I end up with a horizontally squished picture.

So with just a slight improvement in aspect ratio control (or if I could find a way to fix the picture breakup problems at 1080i), I think I could be pretty happy with this software.
post #279 of 4443 Old 01-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
"...the picture quality was very good EXCEPT that it was frequently breaking up on the top 3rd...
I'm curious if this picture breakup problem is an ArcSoft problem, my card not having enough horsepower (ATI 2600XT), or due to ArcSoft's decision to not fully support ATI hardware acceleration under XP for now."

I've had the same problem on 2 different HTPCs (1. 1080p/GeForce 2. 720p/ATI 2600XT). I can't remember which card is in the 1080p (I believe 7800, PC has crashed...) It's not consistent with every movie. 300 looks great but with frequent tearing as above. BTW, the PQ is noticeably better than PDVD. It's hard to imagine but it is clearly superior on my 1080p 70" Sony GrandWega.

hjackson
post #280 of 4443 Old 01-28-2008, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone having trouble getting 5.1 sound? None of my HD DVD's will do 5.1 in Arcsoft. Everything is 2.0. And I cannot get into the "Advanced" options either.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #281 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:

Andy o,

Can you make changes to any of those stick?
I've tried to make some changes but after you open TMT they seem to revert back to default and do nothing within TMT itself.
I've played HQV's DVD test disc in TMT with a 8600GTS and a 2600XT, jaggies1, jaggies2 and flag test were as bad as they can be scoring 0 in all of them with HA turned on (haven't tried with HA off but guess it'll give similar results), changing from autodeinterlace to deinterlace didn't help.
post #282 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Thanks, but how do you get to those screens? They aren't in the program from what I can see. Although some of the options themselves seem to be the same, I guess, but my copy is still missing the other options. What I was wondering is if there is the DTS Surround Sensation option for headphones. Could you check that please? I don't think so though.

In any case, my copy in Vista 32 looks significantly different form what you've posted.

I too would love to know how you gain access to these screens, thanks.

Keith
post #283 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 06:42 AM

Hrmm, apparently Arcsoft is leaving their forums for user-to-user interface. Their support won't be chiming in on those forums much if at all. (This according to ArcSoft_Jason, one of their folks).

I've officially gone PURPLE, thank you LG!
My Growing Video Collection
post #284 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 06:54 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

wow, went from looking like a good program to crap; not even supporting in their own forum?
post #285 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

wow, went from looking like a good program to crap; not even supporting in their own forum?

Heh, it seems they don't wanna get mobbed by severely disappointed HTPC geeks. They are the ones who hyped the damn thing though. They should have expected people to be super critical after all the wait.
post #286 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithHurst View Post

I too would love to know how you gain access to these screens, thanks.

Keith

You can download gspot, view list of codecs, right click properties on relevant arcsoft codec, jobs a good'un
post #287 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

They have a dedicated support page instead

Support our folding@home efforts add team number 95865
post #288 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Those configuration screens were available when I set them as External Filters in Media Player Classic. Once they were selected as a external filter, I just double clicked them.

The Settings wouldn't stick. I opened a hd dvd, polar arctic, and then the External Filter and fiddled with the settings, and nothing happened.

Andy o,

In the Arcsoft Totalmedia Theater Configuration, I can see Virtual surround.
I think that's what it's called.
But, curiously.
In the audio configuration screen I posted.
Virtual Surround is not a option.
So while the default gui in tmt shows the virtual audio, maybe it just looks like it's a option, one that is not really there.
If virtual surround was a real option, don't you think it would appear in the audio config screen I posted?
It's not though.

And the default deinterlacing is not motion adaptive.
That means hw deinterlacing is bad.

Favelle,

The Default audio option is 2 speaker stereo.
They really short changed us by not making these configuration screens available.
I hope ChrisMorley asks them o include this option in a future update.

Again. In the audio configuration screen, the headphone option has no virtual surround option.
So, there is a chance this virtual 5.1 is not included yet in tmt.

post #289 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:

And the default deinterlacing is not motion adaptive.
That means hw deinterlacing is bad.

Same happens in PDVD unless you select the {xxxx-xxxx.... } motion adaptive mode.
post #290 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita View Post

This might be the same BSOD which I started getting immediately after installing Arcsoft. The filename looks the same although I never wrote it down. It continues to happen infrequently even when I'm not using Arcsoft. Like you, my system was rock solid before. Happens on both Core Duo 945GM notebooks. Did not happen with Japanese version.

I've just had a similar BSOD here also.

It was 0x0000007E (SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED). See here for info on it from Microsoft Support site

The file was M88327375.tmp and occurred while I was reading this very forum, moments after reading your comment on your BSOD interestingly. The file itself no longer appears to exist (Windows search can't find it anyway).

Arcsoft was NOT running at the time (only Firefox) not counting system services etc. Will report to Arcsoft shortly...
post #291 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 01:25 PM

I'm interested in how to make sure ArcSoft is uninstalled thoroughly enough to make sure I can't get another BSOD. You say ArcSoft wasn't running at the time of the BSOD. Were the services and startup programs running that ArcSoft puts in msconfig?
post #292 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Heh, it seems they don't wanna get mobbed by severely disappointed HTPC geeks. They are the ones who hyped the damn thing though. They should have expected people to be super critical after all the wait.

It was hyped based on the Japanese trial of Digital Theatre, which was renamed to TotalMedia Theatre. Somewhere along the way to the English version, something went horribly wrong...
post #293 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks, but how do you get to those screens? They aren't in the program from what I can see. Although some of the options themselves seem to be the same, I guess, but my copy is still missing the other options. What I was wondering is if there is the DTS Surround Sensation option for headphones. Could you check that please? I don't think so though..

Add the filters as "external" to MPC, set them to "prefer", drop a HD file onto MPC, then right click in the playing window and open the playing Arcsoft filter that you want to play with.
post #294 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I'm curious if this picture breakup problem is an ArcSoft problem, my card not having enough horsepower (ATI 2600XT), or due to ArcSoft's decision to not fully support ATI hardware acceleration under XP for now.

None of the above
It's a problem that 2xxx ATi cards have with Tv sets that are "Picky" about their input signals. If you have twin DVI outputs, one DVI output will be less affected than the other, so moving your lead to the other socket may solve the problem. Changing the ATi card for another is unlikely to cure the problem, changing to a Nvidia card will definitely cure the problem.
post #295 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post

I'm interested in how to make sure ArcSoft is uninstalled thoroughly enough to make sure I can't get another BSOD. You say ArcSoft wasn't running at the time of the BSOD. Were the services and startup programs running that ArcSoft puts in msconfig?

Yes, msconfig startup shows ACDaemon is running. That might be the culprit. I can't imagine Arcsoft releasing any new software until this is fixed. BSODware is a whole different level than swapped audio channels.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #296 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 03:26 PM

Hehe, BSODware, brand new software category. I always thought that drivers were the only pieces of software with the power to BSOD.

Glad to hear ACDaemon was running. If you had said that nothing was running at all then I would be really scared now that ArcSoft has messed up my system completely. As it is now I think running the uninstaller should be sufficient for BSOD protection.
post #297 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 03:33 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah99 View Post

None of the above
It's a problem that 2xxx ATi cards have with Tv sets that are "Picky" about their input signals. If you have twin DVI outputs, one DVI output will be less affected than the other, so moving your lead to the other socket may solve the problem. Changing the ATi card for another is unlikely to cure the problem, changing to a Nvidia card will definitely cure the problem.

Well, I'm using VGA as my Mitsubishi WS-65909 doesn't have a DVI input. At the exact same resolution, BeyondTV, PowerDVD and TheaterTek do not exhibit the same problem.

Switching to nVidia will present a different set of problems as I need custom resolutions .
post #298 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Yes, msconfig startup shows ACDaemon is running. That might be the culprit. I can't imagine Arcsoft releasing any new software until this is fixed. BSODware is a whole different level than swapped audio channels.

I get BSOD's as well, I think it is their codecs/filters; I even tried graphedit to see if I could get it to work that way and just clicking on some of their codecs/filters causes a crash.
post #299 of 4443 Old 01-29-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Clicking on the audio decoder, 3gp, and hd dvd navigator arcsoft filters caused a crash for me. When I fiddled with them in mpc.
This was in xp 32 bit.

post #300 of 4443 Old 01-30-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:

I have the ACDaemon service running also. It seems to start ACService.exe up. I also have ACDaemon.exe and ArcCon.ac running. The latter is the Arcsoft Connect thing which sits in the bottom right above the taskbar, no idea about the former.

It could be any of those but is impossible to really test without knowing how to reproduce the BSOD...

I also have brs.exe running which I believe is part of Cyberlink (which I haven't run at all this week) - I don't know if that could be conflicting with Arcsoft?

No sign of the file that throws the BSOD or a similar filename either...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page