Old 02-10-2008, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8:13 View Post

There's the Vidabox version. Due on the 14th of February.

What's the advantage of buying it from vidabox versus arcsoft?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2008, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidabox View Post

The version of the Arcsoft software that VidaBox will be selling is different from the retail version in the following ways:
  • Our version is stripped down and will only have the player. No burning software, editing software, etc. This makes the software more stable as there are no extra (probably unwanted) features to compromise the system stability. We have been told that our version has a more stable core and our testing with regards to stability is very good.
  • There might be features implement in the VidaBox version that might not be available in the retail version. For example, in our version, the UAC pop-up that many of you see in the retail version is disabled. I don't think they plan on disabling this pop-up in the retail version.
  • The retail version will have a 2 to 3 week update schedule. The VidaBox version gets updates when VidaBox decides to make the updates available. We will make updated version available as bug fixes are implemented.
  • Our build is independent of the retail version so we are not tied to the retail version update schedule

Arcsoft is not going to be holding back updates in their retail version simply so VidaBox can have a faster track for updates. That will not be the case. In some cases, it may be that updates may come at the same time for both versions.

It is my belief that you will be purchasing a more stable product with minor extra features that make sense for HTPC use with the VidaBox version. Also, the more we sell of our version, the more weight we will carry with Arcsoft to have them fix bugs and implement new features. They are more likely to listen to one of our bug reports than an email from someone in this forum. We will do our best to report bugs that are brought to our attention to Arcsoft but we will only be doing that for users of our version of the software.

I will be creating a new thread of our version of the software once it is released so that there is no confusion between the two and our users may post their experience and issues.

I will continue to answers question where I can in this thread so please ask your questions.

There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I can't find a release date for the Vidabox version now. It was the 14th.

There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:01 PM

Liked: 10
I wouldn't be surprised if Vidabox is having second thoughts about selling this software directly to consumers seeing as how many problems it has. We may not see a release from them for a long time (if ever.)
Old 02-10-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

How is your audio working?
I need support for Analog outs on an X-FI card. The trial did not work.

- Rich

I've only watched two movies so far:

A Scanner Darkly (HD-DVD)
Across the Universe (BD, had to remux the main feature, but kept the Dolby Tru-HD track).

All channels were mapped correctly. I need to try one that gave me incorrect mappings with the trial version.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Old 02-10-2008, 06:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Heart Alive in Seattle still trumps ArcSoft-- it has no ADV_OBJ file. Broke down and purchased full version. All other aspects are fine-playback from hdd etc. My latest disks are F4/SS BD and The Kingdom HDDVD-no problems with either. Decided on Arc cause it's not so picky on displays and file playback. It did choke on Heros disk 2 but PDVD does also. With Arc I just select and it plays, with PDVD you have to select folders of ripped content. Mainly, the audio is better with Arcsoft. When I move my Yamaha receiver here I'll get to connect analog and hear that aspect. Also, download a free program like thumbnail viewer and get 20% off ($18) retail.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Old 02-10-2008, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Heart Alive in Seattle still trumps ArcSoft-- it has no ADV_OBJ file. Broke down and purchased full version. All other aspects are fine-playback from hdd etc. My latest disks are F4/SS BD and The Kingdom HDDVD-no problems with either. Decided on Arc cause it's not so picky on displays and file playback. It did choke on Heros disk 2 but PDVD does also. With Arc I just select and it plays, with PDVD you have to select folders of ripped content. Mainly, the audio is better with Arcsoft. When I move my Yamaha receiver here I'll get to connect analog and hear that aspect. Also, download a free program like thumbnail viewer and get 20% off ($18) retail.

You were able to playback FF4:ROTSS from a HDD? Last I saw, you couldn't playback BD+ titles from a HDD with Arcsoft.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I've only watched two movies so far:

A Scanner Darkly (HD-DVD)
Across the Universe (BD, had to remux the main feature, but kept the Dolby Tru-HD track).

All channels were mapped correctly. I need to try one that gave me incorrect mappings with the trial version.

Do you use an X-FI card?

Thanks,

Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 02-11-2008, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's the advantage of buying it from vidabox versus arcsoft?

- Rich

Supposedly the Vidabox version would receive patches as soon as they were available rather than the Arcsofts 14 day release schedule. Also there was a minor adjustment to it to prevent some Microsoft Pop-up being displayed... I forget the details.

TBH there doesn't appear to be any real advantage to this version and the last information from Sergio at vidabox was that they may not even sell it anyway. I suspect this was in part due to the disapointing state of the released software and partly due to the incesent bitching on AVS.

EDIT: Ok just saw what was posted above, more or less what I said so my memory isn't that bad
Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

have they released a version that runs on x64 yet? (besides the Jap trial)
Old 02-11-2008, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes View Post

Supposedly the Vidabox version would receive patches as soon as they were available rather than the Arcsofts 14 day release schedule. Also there was a minor adjustment to it to prevent some Microsoft Pop-up being displayed... I forget the details.

TBH there doesn't appear to be any real advantage to this version and the last information from Sergio at vidabox was that they may not even sell it anyway. I suspect this was in part due to the disapointing state of the released software and partly due to the incesent bitching on AVS.

EDIT: Ok just saw what was posted above, more or less what I said so my memory isn't that bad

This is pretty confusing. Last I heard from Vidabox on this forum, they bowed out of selling the software. I could not find TMT on their site.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Old 02-11-2008, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is pretty confusing. Last I heard from Vidabox on this forum, they bowed out of selling the software. I could not find TMT on their site.

- Rich

I think they have bowed out but people keep mentioning release dates from their site... tbh I can't see how their version has any advantages over the Arcsoft one anyway, I doubt it will mateialise now.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 AM

Whether or not they will really sell it, who knows, but it's still on their site:

http://www.vidabox.com/shop/index.ph...d933c5d92d83dd
Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestraw View Post

Whether or not they will really sell it, who knows, but it's still on their site:

http://www.vidabox.com/shop/index.ph...d933c5d92d83dd

Sold out?

My guess is that you will see this disapear soon...

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Old 02-11-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sold out?

It said that right from the beginning....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Old 02-11-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

It said that right from the beginning....

I think the "sold out" is just a limitation of the backend system for their website. All this mean is ZERO stock. If they are not selling it yet it is common to have "sold out" rather than "x" in stock.

I agree with other comments, their version sounds just like the standard player, any fixes implimented on their version would only be guaranteed on their hardware, not on anthing else until Arcsoft had completed their tests.

I took the plunge and brought Arcsoft last week, it's very stable on my system and knocks the pants of PowerDVD which isn't really designed for a HTPC.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

I will stick with PDVD until WinDVD 9 Plus is released (March/April) and THEN I will decide which software I will buy: ArcSoft or WinDVD Plus.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post

I was hoping a new trial version (with bugfixes) would have come out before the demo expired for people who installed it the day it was released. Question now is - if they DO release a new demo, will we even be able to try it out without it expiring?

The demo lasts forever, what happens is it suggests you "download an update" ..... when you do it doesn't work any more. Roll it back and your demo works again. When I say "works" I of course mean "sort of works" as this buggy bit of garbage has never actually worked properly.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:31 AM

Well I still have not heard back from Arcsoft about my problem but I did remove and reinstall the software and the error went away. Only that's it no error but I cant open any files. When I try to open the folders my CPU usage goes up and down for a few seconds like its trying to open but then it just goes back to the TMT main screen. I really hope they respond soon or I will be asking for a charge back on my credit card.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 PM

I've just run into this error also.

Followed advice to remove and reinstall the software but moments after choosing "Remove" I had one of those nice BSODs reported previously

That new version of WinDVD looks interesting, will have to give it a try. Assuming they will stand up against AACS.

My TMT installation appears to be broken now... After several minutes on the TMT splash screen with 25% CPU load, the screen went blank and the "Play" OSD is present but its not actually playing anything... Stuck at 00:00:00/00:01:13 and no controls seem to do anything when pressed.

EDIT: Not seeming to do anything is not strictly true, it is working but for some reason is refusing to decode any audio or video. I discovered this by randomly clicking on the controls (Play, Pause, Next Chapter in particular). At one point I was in the Blu-ray menu without any video/audio. Of course clicking an option is totally pointless because there is nothing to watch. Obviously some arcsoft related filter(s) is broken, any recommendations welcome...

Glad I didn't buy the product and encounter this problem...
Old 02-11-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah99 View Post

The demo lasts forever, what happens is it suggests you "download an update" ..... when you do it doesn't work any more. Roll it back and your demo works again. When I say "works" I of course mean "sort of works" as this buggy bit of garbage has never actually worked properly.

This wasn't the case on my system. The program loaded up fine, but as soon as I tried to play a disc it popped up a box asking for a serial number. Uninstalling/reinstalling didn't get around this.

If Arcsoft have a 14-day release schedule we should have seen 2 updates by now, how many has there been?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxrd55 View Post

Well I still have not heard back from Arcsoft about my problem but I did remove and reinstall the software and the error went away. Only that's it no error but I cant open any files. When I try to open the folders my CPU usage goes up and down for a few seconds like its trying to open but then it just goes back to the TMT main screen. I really hope they respond soon or I will be asking for a charge back on my credit card.

I had that same problem. Uninstall the software, boot into safe mode, and delete the Arcsoft folder via a command prompt. Reboot and reinstall. Worked for me.

It seems there is a problem in the plugins folder, where you can't delete it in normal windows mode (even after uninstalling). I have a feeling these files are the ones that are causing the problem.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought TMT today. Installed on on an XP system/8500GT and it Blue-screened constantly.

So then I called Tech support. They said uninstall and re-install which I did (also cleared the directories and registry). No change.

OK. So I decided to try it on my HTPC Vista32/ATI3650/Auzentech X-FI sound card. It ran 60 to 100% CPU with hardware acceleration on and off. HW acceleration made no difference. The sound was completely messed up with the voices coming from the right channel.

The support person went to some research and called me back: They did not know what was causing the BSOD's but did expect a fix by the end of the month .

The support person was very professional but not very knowledgeable. He gave me the Element5 number to get a refund (Unfortunately is was the wrong number). I did manage to contact Element5 and start the refund process.

Not even close to ready for prime-time.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Old 02-11-2008, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Leisle View Post

You were able to playback FF4:ROTSS from a HDD? Last I saw, you couldn't playback BD+ titles from a HDD with Arcsoft.

I didn't say that and sorry if it seems implied.
I haven't been able to rip any BD to hdd. When I do, I will try it.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Using paying punters as Beta testers seems to be a growing trend in software as well as AV Hardware these days...

Adam

Quote:

I bought TMT today. Installed on on an XP system/8500GT and it Blue-screened constantly.

So then I called Tech support. They said uninstall and re-install which I did (also cleared the directories and registry). No change.

OK. So I decided to try it on my HTPC Vista32/ATI3650/Auzentech X-FI sound card. It ran 60 to 100% CPU with hardware acceleration on and off. HW acceleration made no difference. The sound was completely messed up with the voices coming from the right channel.

The support person went to some research and called me back: They did not know what was causing the BSOD's but did expect a fix by the end of the month .

The support person was very professional but not very knowledgeable. He gave me the Element5 number to get a refund (Unfortunately is was the wrong number). I did manage to contact Element5 and start the refund process.

Not even close to ready for prime-time.

- Rich

Old 02-11-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I had that same problem. Uninstall the software, boot into safe mode, and delete the Arcsoft folder via a command prompt. Reboot and reinstall. Worked for me.

It seems there is a problem in the plugins folder, where you can't delete it in normal windows mode (even after uninstalling). I have a feeling these files are the ones that are causing the problem.

I uninstalled it again and the went into system restore and booted up at my pre-install saved point that I made before I purchased the software then reinstalled and it is now working again. Or at least the first few movies I have tried. Hopefully this will take care of the issue. I am still a little confused that they didn't even know that I purchased the software when using my registered account and email address that I purchased it with.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you use an X-FI card?

Thanks,

Rich

Nope, onboard Soundmax with DTS-Connect.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Leisle View Post

The Japanese version works for FF4:ROTSS and AnyD 6.3.1.5, but as usual it's 1.5 DTS core.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraserGJ View Post

I've just run into this error also.

Followed advice to remove and reinstall the software but moments after choosing "Remove" I had one of those nice BSODs reported previously

That new version of WinDVD looks interesting, will have to give it a try. Assuming they will stand up against AACS.

My TMT installation appears to be broken now... After several minutes on the TMT splash screen with 25% CPU load, the screen went blank and the "Play" OSD is present but its not actually playing anything... Stuck at 00:00:00/00:01:13 and no controls seem to do anything when pressed.

EDIT: Not seeming to do anything is not strictly true, it is working but for some reason is refusing to decode any audio or video. I discovered this by randomly clicking on the controls (Play, Pause, Next Chapter in particular). At one point I was in the Blu-ray menu without any video/audio. Of course clicking an option is totally pointless because there is nothing to watch. Obviously some arcsoft related filter(s) is broken, any recommendations welcome...

Glad I didn't buy the product and encounter this problem...

WinDVD does not support HD DVD or BR, nor do I think they plan to.

Arcsofts uninstaller is very bad it leaves all kinds of crap on your system which maybe a cause of some of the problems you and others are having with it. Especially if you had the Japanese version installed prior to the English version.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post

WinDVD does not support HD DVD or BR, nor do I think they plan to.

WinDVD 9 Plus does support HD DVD and Bluray. The japanese version is out already

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1189528392361